Start by marking “Il visitatore che non c'era” as Want to Read:
Il visitatore che non c'era

Il visitatore che non c'era

Scrittore abilissimo e dalla fervida immaginazione, Fredric Brown fu uno dei maggiori talenti a emergere dalle riviste pulp americane per affermarsi nel campo della narrativa poliziesca e di fantascienza. L'esempio migliore della sua straordinaria inventiva è rappresentato da questo giallo del 1950. Doc Stoeger ama gli scacchi, la bottiglia, i libri di Lewis Carroll e il s ...more
Paperback, I Bassotti #17, 250 pages
Published 2003 by Polillo (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Il visitatore che non c'era, please sign up.
Mark Krajnak After reading this on Wikipedia, makes sense: The catchphrase "Who's Yehoodi?" (or, alternatively, "Who's Yehudi?") originated when violinist Yehudi…moreAfter reading this on Wikipedia, makes sense: The catchphrase "Who's Yehoodi?" (or, alternatively, "Who's Yehudi?") originated when violinist Yehudi Menuhin was a guest on the popular radio program of Bob Hope, where sidekick Jerry Colonna, apparently finding the name itself humorous, repeatedly asked "Who's Yehudi?" Colonna continued the gag on later shows even though Menuhin himself was not a guest, turning "Yehudi" into a widely understood late 1930s slang reference for a mysteriously absent person.(less)

Start your review of Il visitatore che non c'era
Bradley
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017-shelf
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!

When I think of Fredric Brown I think of fantastical SF with quirky characters and wild happenings, so I didn't hesitate any when I saw this one up for grabs in Netgalley. Imagine my surprise when I actually acquired a mystery/thriller instead!

Though, to be honest, I didn't quite realize it at first because I was just reading it solely because I like the author and the way it began, with a heavy-drinking newspaperman who's absolutely in lov
Charles  van Buren
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a strange book

Review of Kindle edition
Publication date: December 26, 2016
Publisher: Endeavour Venture
Language: English
ASIN: B01N1WIER0

What a strange book even for Fredric Brown. Not sci-fi but one of his crime novels, the action from about page 83 to the end is almost a fairly normal crime story with an involved, twisted plot to keep the reader on the edge of his seat. But the first 83 pages read almost as if they are part of a different book.
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
Review: NIGHT OF THE JABBERWOCK by Fredric Brown

An excitingly twisted, convoluted, puzzle, a mystery wrapped in an enigma, NIGHT OF THE JABBERWOCK
is a true reading delight. This is the first of Fredric Brown's writing I'd read, and it's set me on a path to seeking out more. If you love Lewis Carroll, chess, or almost-unsolvable mysteries, get rolling. If you enjoy a feckless protagonist who is almost his own worst enemy, let me introduce you to the endearing Doc Stoeger, small
Michael Mallory
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of late I have been reading so many new, very highly-touted novels, and coming away wondering what the hell all the shouting was about. So I decided to take something down from my shelves that I loved in the past and reread it. I chose Night of the Jabberwock by Fredric Brown, one of my all-time favorite authors, because I remember being blown away by it twenty-five or thirty years ago. My copy was so old the cover broke off, but I read it anyway. I have to say that the distance of twenty-five or thirty y ...more
Jenn Thorson
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and eccentric mystery tale with a Lewis Carroll spin. As a fan of the Alice takes, I was totally sucked in and was kept curious throughout. Delightful way to spend some time, particularly if you like your mysteries with a side of madness.
Pop Bop
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Complex, Literate, and Engaging

While Fredric Brown is mostly celebrated as an important, if now largely forgotten, contributor to the golden age of science fiction, he also made his mark in the crime and detection field. This book, which came out in 1950, is widely considered to be one of his finest efforts.

We follow Doc Stoeger through just one eventful night. Doc puts his weekly little local paper to bed every Thursday night, for printing on Friday morning. Early on he
Bev
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably best known for his story, The Fabulous Clipjoint which garnered an Edgar Award for outstanding first mystery novel, Fredric Brown was a prolific author of hundreds of pulp short stories and several novels. He considered his best work to be in the science fiction arena, but a good two-thirds of his work were mysteries/thrillers. His story quality is high and attention to plotting is very unique.

The Night of the Jabberwock is exactly what the title indicates--the story of one
Nick Jones
I began to read American pulp thrillers some 30 years ago: it was an extension of my love of 1940s film noir and the self-conscious use of them by the French New Wave filmmakers. The ones I like tend to deal with desire, transgression, delirium and lots of murky morality. And, most importantly, they are always less than 250 pages long: there should be a law making it illegal to write thrillers longer than this. I read pulp for their stories and after 250 pages my attention span is reached and my ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Fredric Brown's Night of the Jabberwock
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - July 10, 2018

There's a Facebook group called "Phlegm's corner" & the founder of the group, John Arnold, likes to post a diversity of images that appeal to him. At one point, it was bk covers. One of the bk covers was for Frederic Brown's The Case of the Dancing Sandwiches. I liked this title so much that I looked him up online & read that he had a good sense of humor. I decided to try to find things by him to read. This was th
Williwaw
This is definitely light reading. Brown's story is clever, fast-moving, and twisted. But in the final analysis, this book fits squarely into the standard "whodunnit" murder mystery mold, so I was somewhat disappointed. The story contains two rather unusual features: First, the main character is not a detective. Instead, he's someone who has been framed for several murders, so he urgently needs to discover who the real killer is.

Second, all the action is packed into a less than 24 hours. I was i
Mr David N Chidgey
One of the best

Such a jolly good read, and perhaps one which I enjoyed from start to, expected but still laugh out loud, finish. The references to Alice in Wonderland brought back happy childhood memories, and the plot line was a delightfully light hearted Dashiell Hammett look alike. Highly recommended.
Steve
Fredric Brown wrote another book titled Murder Can Be Fun. Night of the Jabberwock proves he was right.

Of course, this is more fun if the reader understands all the references. In the three paragraphs that follow, we see the thoughts of Doc Stoeger, the protagonist/narrator, who is, among other things, a Lewis Carroll aficionado, as he follows a stranger whom he met earlier that same evening into a neighborhood "haunted house" for a meeting of a group called the Vorpal Blades. The stranger has
Mike Suter
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder mystery, with frequent references to Lewis Carroll and a good dose of humor. The protagonist isn't a private eye... he's the editor of a local newspaper who falls down a metaphorical rabbit hole trying to work out the details of a homicide. Eventually, the madness resolves toward a logical solution by the end of the story. A quick and enjoyable read. I only regret this was never made into a movie, with Bogart playing the lead.
Boris Cesnik
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The enormous talent of Mr Brown is inconceivable. As a writer he's a genius. As a story teller he's as original as it gets.
The writing is absorbing and timeless. The suspense is sometimes unbearable but never forced. The setting of each scene from the very first line to the very last word is top notch. As if you're there, everywhere the protagonist goes. You're there with him, inside him, you feel for him.

Enduring, fresh and refreshing now as it was then, one of a kind.
Lawrence FitzGerald
I had no idea what I was reading. It was Frederic Brown so I was waiting for the monsters/aliens/whatever to jump out. A mystery/thriller, who knew? Pretty well done, especially for 1950, but the motive for laying the blame on Doc was not very compelling.
kathryn foster
Strange

A good book couldn't put it down, lots going on, but really disappointed with the ending, it seemed really rushed.
Ryan
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Lots of characters with no development. kind of a silly book
fisher
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
a gloriously good read: what a relief and a pleasure to read such a well thought-out and well-executed story, thoroughly entertaining!
m r barrett
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable hard to put down

I read this book through in a matter of days it has to be a good book for me to do that,
Mark Speed
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, thriller, crime
An odd little read. A very clever idea. Full of little twists, and clever little loops that have to be closed by the end.
Bill
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most deliciously complicated, ingeniously thought out plots of any book, mystery or otherwise, that I have ever read, and although the plot may be complicated, Fredric Brown makes it easy to follow.

Local newspaper editor, Doc Stoeger longs to have important news in his local weekly, but it’s always the same old thing – local happenings with lots of local names and lots of filler when there is not even that.

One night he seems to have it all – an escaped mental pati
Kate
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
For my full review click on the link below:
Whistlers Mom
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"All newspapermen should be sons of bitches."

Readers of classic science fiction revere the name Fredric Brown, but many classic mystery lovers are missing out. He was one of a handful of greats who learned their craft writing for "pulp" magazines. Although he's not as well known as Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Erle Stanley Gardner, or Rex Stout, he wrote some fine mysteries with plots that keep you guessing until the end and characters that any writer would be proud of.
Holger Haase
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just... Wow!!!!

Though Fredric Brown these days is mainly known (if he is known at all) as a Sci Fi author I am primarily familiar with him as a Noir writer. I have read only a small handful of his books so far but every time I venture into his world I just know I need to read more of him.

NIGHT OF THE JABBERWOCK is a truly surreal and bizarre Noir novel, I dare even say one of its kind.

Doc Stoegler, the protagonist, is running a local weekly paper in a sma
Crittermom
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Night of the Jabberwock is a brilliant and unusual mystery perfect for lovers of early noir and Lewis Carroll.  Frederic Brown not only gives readers a cunningly plotted murder mystery, he offers some of the most eloquent commentary on books, life and death that I've seen.  Frederic Brown distributes quotes from Lewis Carroll throughout - a definite match for the surreal sequence of events.  Night of the Jabberwock isn't really a fantasy although there are some fantastic elements.  Nor is it a h
Julie Davis
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc Stoeger is the newspaperman in a tiny town. He's a big fan of Alice in Wonderland and Lewis Carroll's other writing, as well as the theory that Carroll was simply reporting on a visit to some very odd places. One Thursday evening, he's trying to put the paper to bed, despite the fact that there's a hole in the front page that he just can't fill. Every time a juicy piece of news arises, there is a compelling reason not to print it. From here the story of Doc's "Night of the Jabberwock" become ...more
Tim Schneider
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night of the Jabberwock shows us one surreal night in the life of Doc Stoeger, small-town newspaper publisher and Lewis Carroll aficionado. Those two obsessions headline the tale as Stoeger has the greatest news night of his life seemingly yanked out from under him by circumstance...and a mystery in which he becomes embroiled.

This is a pretty convoluted plot. And it's hard to talk about it much without spoilers. But it's a good fun plot and a fine read. This isn't really noir. It's a more conve
David Rush
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you need a good solid mystery to read, and this is one. Almost but not quite “noir” by my standards, but still a really good feel.

From start to finish the action plays out in less than 24 hours, and for the most part it seems believable. Aside from the insane amount of alcohol Doc Stoeger drinks, but even that almost seems possible in this telling.

The longer I think about it the better it seems. Good dialog, nice pacing and the intricate plot really works, reinf
Joyce
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars

Doc is the editor of the Carmel City Clarion which is a weekly paper. He is also a very big Lewis Carroll fan. Strange things are going on in his little town.

This book kind of rambles along seemingly a little pointless. I didn’t find it that interesting. Perhaps it was my mood when I began to read it, but darn it. Too many books, too little time.

Thanking Netgalley and Endeavour Press for forwarding to me a copy of this book to read.
Jaq Greenspon
Prior to this, I'd only known Brown as a science fiction writer. It was while doing research on a SF story that I came across his mystery thriller work. Being a Lewis Carroll fan myself I had to try this book.

It was wonderful! It's an engaging mystery with humor and thrills and an incredibly likeable protagonist. It's also a nice snapshot into the world of a small mid-western town in the middle of the 20th century.

Definitely recommended.

• The Deadly Percheron
  • Piercing
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • The Nameless City
  • The Last of Philip Banter
  • Devil Take the Blue-tail Fly
  • Night of the Milky Way Railway
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • Tedd and Todd's Secret (The Big Ben Mystery)
  • Crimen y castigo
  • Paranoia
  • The Goddess Chronicle
  • Creepy: Escalofrío
  • Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me
  • Le Signe des ténèbres (Chroniques de la Lune Noire, #1)
  • Bran Mak Morn: The Last King
  • The Absolute Sandman, Volume One
  • The Hidden Dimension
Fredric Brown was an American science fiction and mystery writer. He was one of the boldest early writers in genre fiction in his use of narrative experimentation. While never in the front rank of popularity in his lifetime, Brown has developed a considerable cult following in the almost half century since he last wrote. His works have been periodically reprinted and he has a worldwide fan base, m ...more
“The older you get, the less afraid of ghosts you are - whether you believe in them or not. By the time you pass the fifty mark you've known so many people who are now dead that ghosts, if there are any, aren't all strangers. Some of your best friends are ghosts; why should you be afraid of them? And it's not too many years before you'll all be on the other side of the fence yourself.” 0 likes
“Oh, just a minute, Mrs. Carr. What department at Bonney’s does your husband work in?” “The Roman candle department.” It made me forget, for the moment, what I’d been leading up to. I said, “The Roman candle department! That’s a wonderful phrase; I love it. If I sell the paper, darned if I don’t look up Bonney the very next day. I’d love to work in the Roman candle department. Your husband is a lucky man.” “You’re” 0 likes