Start by marking “Trucks Board Book” as Want to Read:
Trucks Board Book

Trucks Board Book

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  596 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Byron Barton introduces young readers to the fun of trucks in this bold and colorful board book. With simple text and vibrant illustrations, readers will learn about a variety of trucks, including tow trucks, cement trucks, and delivery trucks. Trucks Board Book "will delight the youngest, and have enough meat for older preschoolers and beginning readers" (Kirkus Reviews). ...more
Board Book, 32 pages
Published April 18th 1998 by HarperFestival (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Trucks Board Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trucks Board Book

Amy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: henry-s-picks
Trucks. They work hard. Love it.
Becky
First sentence: On the road here come the trucks. They come through tunnels. They go over the bridge.

Premise/plot: Trucks are useful, always working. This is a simple introduction to the working class of trucks. The intended audience is preschoolers or toddlers.

My thoughts: I like this one. The text is super simple. It is not text heavy. As a read aloud it flows well. The illustrations are bold and colorful. I'd recommend this to parents with truck-obsessed little ones. I do think that it coul
Kevin Summers
My son LOVES this book
Danielle
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: turkeybird, childrens
The Turkeybird Speaks: "Now this is the part where I tell you to pull up a chair and your favorite snack so you can settle into a great book. Does it really get any better than trucks, planes, and trains? I would say not! They move, they have wheels, they go fast and they do all sorts of fun things. I especially liked reading my plane book when we traveled cross country to our new home. It was neat to look out the window and see the same sky that I was looking at in my book. These books are a mu ...more
Traci
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theoreads, 2015-reads
We were gifted Boats and my 2 year old son enjoys the illustrations for sure, and we read it often, but boats aren't really his thing. For the past few months, he's been insanely interested in trucks, cars, tractors, trailers, and to a lesser extent trains and construction vehicles as well. I mean, he can't even tell people how old he is, but he can tell the difference between a jeep and a pick up truck and knows that a hitch carries a trailer (and knows all types of trailers). He can also navig ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc
Although Sean knew his friend Connor wouldn't be at the last BookCrossing meeting, he still wanted to attend. While there he picked up a copy of Trucks written and illustrated by Byron Barton.

Sean has a number of Barton's books. So far we have: Trucks, Trains, and Jump Frog Jump! He likes his distinct style of strong lines, bold colors and simple shapes. He also likes that the stories are easy for him to read so that we can read them together. I like that the illustrations, while straightforwar
Shanna Gonzalez
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
This is a straightforward educational board book presenting different types of trucks and their activities, rendered in chunky concept-drawings, with minimal text. Most little boys go through a stage of being fascinated with trucks, and this was one of the first books I have used to introduce the different functions and shapes that trucks can take. Kids will outgrow it quickly, though, since it lacks detail for them to grow into; if you can only get one book about vehicles, get Richard Scarry's ...more
Asho
This is a cute little board book that kept my two-year-old entertained for quite a while on a recent road trip. He finds the simple, bright illustrations very appealing and will "read" this to himself for quite a while (which is good, because I don't find it equally appealing to read aloud to him). Interestingly, he calls this "the hot dog book" because there is one single hot dog served from a food truck midway through the book.
Nikki Boisture
May 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
I hate this book. I hate that Grady loves it, and I have to read it. I hate that at 18 months, Grady could differentiate between a garbage truck, delivery truck, moving truck, ice cream truck, pickup truck and dump truck, thanks to this book. I had no interest in trucks, and now I kind of hate all trucks.

It gets two stars only because Grady likes it so much. If Grady was only "eh" about it, I'd give it zero!
Rob
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: with-holden
More of a plot than My First Truck Board Book—but not much more of one. Also, Dave Chappelle fans will appreciate that the road work is being done on Third Street. ("You better be careful...")
jacky
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
One of William's early favorites (3 months). I'm sure it is just the bold colors he is reacting to, but he loves this book. I think its great, too, because of the large range of trucks presented. I never would have though of the ice cream truck or even the tow truck since I usually picture big construction trucks. Simple story line and just the right amount of text for earliest readers.
Cornelius
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-books
For kindergarten children, I would use this book in the classroom to describe to children the differnt jobs that trucks perform. The book explains how trucks pick up our garbage, transport things on the roads, carry heavy materials, etc.
Johanna
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Still not sure what the attraction of Byron Barton is, but like Planes, Trucks is a big, big hit at home. At first glance, I thought it might be too simplistic for an almost 2-year-old, but he absolutely loves it and mandates that it be read at least 6 times before bed each night.
Chris
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stig-books
We're only read this one in the store and Stig loved it. He's obsessed with Trucks and points and says "Truck". The library didn't have this available (I think it's the most popular one) - one day we'll pick up a copy for ourselves cause I think it's a favorite.
Allison
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The copy my library received, with the same ISBN, is the size of a board book but is actually a picture book. It's too small to read aloud at a storytime, which is unfortunate considering toddlers LOVE this topic and it's perfect for their reading level.
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yet another truck book that is read over and over again in our home. My three year old especially enjoys "reading" this book to his baby brother. Barton hit homeruns with both My Car and Trucks. Hooray! Simple but fun.
Shelleyburns
Board picture book. Ages 2 - 5. Simple book with colorful pictures that show various types of trucks and how they help people. I would use this book as a read aloud and discuss the types of trucks the children have seen in their community and what those trucks do to help people.
Corey Hiegel
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written! I couldn't put this book down! Barton is a modern day Hemingway. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a book that will challenge your identity and your existence as a human being.
Grant Stephens
PreK-K This book is all about different kinds of truck and the things they can do. This can help with understanding the world around us and early literacy. The words are kept simple and there are lots or sight words
Paula
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Brief text and illustrations present a variety of trucks and what they do.
ABC
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: babies/toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
Very simple book about various kinds of trucks.
Emerson and Theodore
Added to permanent collection for Theodore!

Of course Emerson picked this book out of a large stack of books!
Kristina Silverbears
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: babies
Solid, somewhat repetitive sentence structures. There isn't much story to this board book, but each type of truck is introduced with a clear picture and most with functions.
Dashiell John
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A love song to the proletariat. They work hard, indeed.
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
We're reading this a lot right now. It reminds me of a combination of Freight Train by Donald Crews and I Love Trucks! by Philemon Sturges.
Gail
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
My daughter (1.5 years old) seems to like this book, but I would actually prefer more detailed pictures.
Finn Pennekamp
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is great!!! All kinds of trucks -- amazing pictures -- and plenty of room in the story for mom and dad to add sound effects. I love this book! I'm going to read it hundreds of times!
Heather Richard
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of our oldest children's favorite books. We've boought replacement copies because it's become so worn...
Indah Threez Lestari