Start by marking “The Last True Cowboy” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
From USA Today Bestselling Author Kathleen Eagle comes her classic western romance between a passionate cowboy and a rancher's daughter in Wyoming—

The Last True Cowboy

A cowboy is as good as his word, but what if the words are "I love you"?

The first moment Julia Weslin sees K. C. Houston, she senses her world is about to be turned upside-down. The long, lean cowboy is the
Published October 19th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Last True Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last True Cowboy

Suzie Quint
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, favorites
I've read a couple of Kathleen Eagle's books before and they were enjoyable but they didn't have that zing for me. This one has zing. I love the hero and the heroine. They're grown-ups. There's an attraction they both know is there, but while they're cautious, there are some lovely moments when I see clearly how well they fit together. Their romance is the kind I would want for myself, and maybe that's what provides the zing.
Jeri
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE LAST TRUE COWBOY is about Julia Weslin, come home to the family ranch in Montana for her brother's funeral. She and her younger sister Dawn have to decide what to do about the ranch. Dawn knows what her answer will be, but Julia is not so certain of her own feelings. In comes K.C. Houston, a cowboy with an extraordinary skill with horses, come to High Horse ranch expecting a job. He ends up staying to help run the ranch, and to help Julia find a way to save a unique herd of mustangs that are ...more
Jacky Faber
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys stories about the West
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It takes place in Wyoming which is one reason why I liked it so much. I love the West and I have been camping in Montana, The Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Colorado, Idaho, N. & S. Dakota, Utah, Arizona, plus all over Calif.

I don't usually have much sympathy for ranchers per se, but Eagle portrayed the Weslin ranch and the people who owned and ran it as folks who loved the land and loved the wild mustang horses and wanted to keep it that way. Away from developers
Amber Dulaney
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a western romance. It takes place on a ranch called the High Horse in Wyoming. Julia, her sister, Dawn and their grandmother, Sally have to decide if they want to sell the ranch or try to make it work. The ranch was in Julia's brother's name, but he passed away and left it to them. The ranch had been in the family for years and Julia and Sally don't like the idea of selling it.

In the process a horse trainer named K.C. Houston enters the picture. He was hired by Ross before he passed
Shannon
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Wyoming past caught up with me and The Last True Cowboy. I have to admit, I loved the line, "If everything is relative, there's no per centage in raising hell in Wyoming. One's barely a step up from the other, and I'm sure I couldn't tell you which is which." This sums up my thouughts on Wyoming exactly. But the novel reminded me of the beauty and wildness of Wyoming and her people, and how those things are disappearing today. This is a soft romance - well-drawn characters - a memorable read.
Betty Schaub
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Throw together two sisters and one cowboy add a few wild horses and you've the beginnings of a true western romance set in beautiful Wyoming. Julia and Dawn's brother died. But before he left this world, he put a plan in motion to get one lonesome cowboy and two estranged sisters to work together. It's a good read.
Helen
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It has all the cliches, but Kathleen Eagle knows how to create real people out of those cliches. The reader cares how these people and their particular story turns out. The setting is vivid and the relationship believable. A good read, especially for lovers of Westerns and cowboys.
Ann
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had many great elements: handsome cowboy who is somewhat "wild", many horses, sibling rivalry, feisty old woman (heh, heh), feisty old ranching hand who is love with feisty old woman (smile), and did I mention how many horses???
Terri
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have like most of Kathleen Eagle's books. This one just missed the mark. The characters were good, the plot was good, but something just wasn't there...I got tired of reading and did some skipping during almost every chapter. Still got all the story, and the feelings.
JMRL
Find it at JMRL: http://bit.ly/1J89PnX

Kathleen Eagle is from Virginia and currently lives in Minnesota with her husband, who is Lakota Sioux. http://www.kathleeneagle.com/bio.html
Joan Karter
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I'm a sucker for books about horses. Although it was a lightweight, easy read, it did have some interesting information about wild horses.
Sommertime
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan
Slow and rambling kinda like our hero. Great H and h, great character development. Enjoyed this book.
Jenny
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book more than 5-stars I would!
Great story, memorable adventure and inspiring life!
Tressa
Nov 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was a comfortable story with an easy depiction of a family that had grown apart. The theme of home was prevalent throughout the story. The description of Wyoming and the horses were lovely.
Clare
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of hers, still. Love this book.
Dorlis
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story of a ranch family.
Marianne
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marianne by: beckma43@yahoo.com
Learned a lot about working a ranch in Wyoming, ranchers attitudes about wild mustangs. Sweet love story
Tracey Hawk
Um. Either I missed the romance or this isn't suppose to be a romance either way I have read better books.
❉⊰Gayle⊱❉
Tracey
Jul 14, 2016
Leisa
Jul 07, 2011
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Forsaking All Others
  • Homeward Hearts
  • The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)
  • Just One of Those Flings (Merry Widows, #2)
  • Broken Silence (Family Secrets, #0.8)
  • The Bequest
  • Vice (V, #8)
  • How to Kiss a Cowboy (Cowboys of Decker Ranch, #2)
  • My Big Old Texas Heartache (Cedar Dell, #1)
  • Secrets: Volume 7
  • Mistress for a Month
  • Apache Runaway
  • Garden of Scandal
  • Beautiful Stranger (The Last Roundup, #4)
  • Lone Calder Star (Calder Saga #9)
  • Tallchief
  • Baby Jane Doe (The Precinct, #4)
Kathleen Eagle published her first book, a Romance Writers of America Golden Heart Award winner, with Silhouette Books in 1984. Since then she has published more than 40 books, including historical and contemporary, series and single title, earning her nearly every award in the industry. Her books have consistently appeared on regional and national bestseller lists, including the USA Today list an ...more
More about Kathleen Eagle