Start by marking “Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)” as Want to Read:
Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)

Getting Old Can Kill You

(Gladdy Gold #7)

Life isn’t all sunny in Fort Lauderdale’s Lanai Gardens. Returning from a blissful double honeymoon with her sister Evvie, Gladdy Gold announces that she wants her new hubby, Jack, to join her detective agency. But Gladdy’s gals say no dice, and soon Ida, Sophie, and Bella are striking out on their own, enrolling in a class to learn how to be real PIs.

But there’s more than
Published June 28th 2011 by Dell (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Old Can Kill You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Old Can Kill You

Betty
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some years ago I like the Gladdy Gold series very much and I am delighted to find the seventh book about Gladdy and her girls. I found the humor of series still present. However, I was not happy with the plot. The group eating dinner at their favorite deli when a strange girl burst and claims some men are out to kill her. She is Ida's granddaughter, Gloria aka Tori. Granddad Bandit has served his time and makes an appearance. Will Gladdy be able to save Tori? I recommend this book.

Disclosure: Ma
edifanob
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books, 2011-reads
I love the Gladdy Gold series. The seventh book in the series is as good as all the other ones.

I wish I will be as humorous, mentally bright and agile when I will be 70+ years old.

You want to know how life can be beyond an age of 70? You look for an entertaining read which let you laugh out loud? You need to be reminded how important it is to have friends? You loved the Golden Girls and you search for something similar with a PI touch? You look for a book you can read together with your partner?
Carol
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Getting Old Can Kill You is a change from traditional cozies. It involves a group of retired women instead of younger women or women with young children in tow. Also the main characters are all Jewish. It is set appropriately in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This is the first of the series that I have read and I hope to get a chance to read the others. I really like the change from the usual age.

It was very light, funny and uncomplicated. Gladdy Gold had just returned from a double honeymoon with h
Terri
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Goldy and Evvie get married in a double wedding and return from their honeymoon to find the gang has decided to go off on their own. They have formed their own PI agency and are taking classes. And not only that, they have added a new member to their team. Meanwhile in the complex, a woman from Arlene's past shows up to mend 50 year old fences only Arlene is not forgiving.

A fun and fast ride with favorite senior sleuths. I enjoyed everyone trying to find their fit in the new dynamics. And I trul
Grady Hart
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book . My first by the author. It was an easy entertaining read on a hot summer night curled up on the couch blasting the fan. I enjoyed the characters and the clean pose of the writer. If you like Miss. Jane Marple and Jessica Fletcher you will like these ladies.
Frostie Winter
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific book - I hope there will be more !
Cindi
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and look forward to reading more from the series.
Valdez
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Gladdy and the gang are back, this time there is a schism in the group . Since Gladdy and her sister Evvie have new husbands, Ida thinks they won't have time for their old crime solving friends. Ida decides to take Sophie and Bella to sign up for PI classes so that they can start a competing business.

In the meantime, a new resident moves into the complex, but it turns out that she has a sorted past with one of the current residents.
Diane
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3 - Good
Kenneth Flusche
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Laughed all the way thru, reminds me of the Golden Girls
Rhonda
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book obviously isn’t great literature but it’s so funny and witty that I couldn’t wait to continue reading
Vicki
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
OMG, who ever thought a retirement community could have so much mayhem. Gladdy, Evvie, Ida, Bella and Sophie are back solving the turmoil that is a part of Lanai Gardens.

Threatened by Galddy’s new marriage, Ida talks Bella and Sophie into starting their own agency. First step, detective school. Second step, Rico, a new partner because every agency needs a car.

Seymour is missing. Joyce mysteriously appears. Arlene is being stalked. Somebody is dead.
To save a friend the girls unite and the entire
Ed
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
#7 in the Gladdy Gold series. A relatively lightweight entry in this series and given that the formerly annual entry has gone 19 months and nothing new has been announced, it may wrap the series up. Gladdy Gold and her geriatric pals live in a heavily Jewish retirement community in Fort Lauderdale,FL. In the first book Getting Old is Murder (2005) residents were dying, Gladdy and cohorts suspected murder, but the police wouldn't listen. In response the wound up forming a detective agency that ha ...more
Marja McGraw
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rita Lakin made my day with Getting Old Can Kill You. Presenting several female Jewish retirees who live in Fort Lauderdale as detectives is inspired.

In this one the ladies have decided it's time to break into two groups, and when Joyce Steiner moves in things change. Joyce broke up Arlene Simon's marriage fifty-five years ago, and now she's moved into the apartments and seems to want to reconcile their differences. Or does she? Arlene is the prime suspect when Joyce is bumped off, and the lady
Pam Masters
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
For a book who's characters are all in their 70s and over, I didn't feel this was a terrible read for someone under 40 (me that is ;)).

This is an easy read, perfect for the summer or the busy days, when you want to read something that doesn't get too deep. The villain in the end may not be the one you expect. I would love to know more about some of the relationships, but that's what happens when you read a book from the middle of a series.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was so happy to find this new novel in a beloved series. Sisters Gladdy and Evvie return to their retirement complex in Florida with new husbands in tow. The gal pals are worried that 'things' will change now that the sisters have husbands, so they decide to become Private Investigators on their own.

There is a mystery within the complex and both sides must merge and rediscover each other's strengths to solve it. This series never lets you down. Hopefully it will be with us for a long time.
Linda Appelbaum
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the final book in a series of 7 books about Gladdy Gold and her pals who live in a retirement neighborhood in Florida and get involved in solving crimes. This book's crime was about a woman who committed suicide but framed a long lost friend so it looked as if she did it. Once again Gladdy and her girls solve the case with laughs along the way. Light, easy reading.
DonnaCarol
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
I enjoy reading books that have quirky fun characters and much humor. Getting Old Can Kill You fit into this category
very welland the mystery was skillfully unravelled.Most of the characters were likeable and fun to get to know. It is delightful to see senior citizens portrayed as vital,active members of Life. You get a real sense of community/family
from this story .
J.W.
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an okay installment in the series. Not the best though. There was no mystery until more than 100 pages in. I've enjoyed Gladdy and the girls so I'm glad I read this latest book but it wasn't as good as some of the previous ones.
Emilia
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery, humour
Oh my goodness! where to start :)
Absolutely loved it, the whole series is just hilarious, the ladies with their quirkiness just priceless.
Someone called Gladdy Gold a "Miss Marple in Yiddish" and I totally agree!!
Funny, fast paced, absolutely wonderfully plotted mystery!!!!
Susan
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kind of sad it's the last in this series so far, hope there are more to come!
Diane Perry
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A cute, quick read. Perfect for the weekend by the pool or beach.
Elaine
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
good quick read for a cozy adventure
Jakenv
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Found characters had some charm with an agreeable story. Could have used a tad more action. Readers who enjoy a good quick mystery will not be disappointed.
Diana Thacker
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hope for more to come !!!
Lori Noe
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun, light read. Look forward to reading another one of Rita's books in this series.
Charlene
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This series is always fun
Martina Kopel
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I want neighbors like these when I get old.
Gerry
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the "old ladies" in this series. This was the first I've read - I found it on the Choice Reads shelf. I'll look for more when I'm in the mood for some light reading.
Cheryl Cooper
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good easy read. The first one I've read in this series but won't be the last. I enjoyed the story and the characters

• Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
  • You Might as Well Die (Algonquin Round Table #2)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Cat Sitter's Whiskers (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #10)
  • Hark the Herald Angels Slay (A Year-Round Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • The Purrfect Halloween Prank (Beatrice Young Cozy Cat Mysteries, #4)
  • Remnants of Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #8)
  • Going Dark (Thorn, #13)
  • Treacherous Tart (Pie in the Sky Mystery, #2)
  • Treacherous Toys (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #5)
  • Catnapped! (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #13)
  • End Me a Tenor (Glee Club, #2)
After being widowed at a young age with three small children, Rita Lakin began an extensive writing career, which has included staff writing on television programs such as Peyton Place, Mod Squad, Dynasty, and Strong Medicine, as well as creating original series such as The Rookies. She has won an Edgar Allen Poe award for her screenwriting, as well as receiving several other award nominations, an ...more

Gladdy Gold (8 books)
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Getting Old Can Hurt You (Gladdy Gold, #8)