Start by marking “Abominable” as Want to Read:
Abominable

Abominable

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Nobody knows exactly what happened on the last ascent of Mallory and Irvine in 1924. No details have been passed down to us.
The heights of the tallest mountain have kept their secret.
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 28th 2010 by Ghostwriter Publications (first published October 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Abominable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abominable

Christopher Beck
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
William Meikle is a mighty fine writer and Abominable showcases his talents rather well. His prose is crisp and smooth, his character's real and their voices clear and distinct. From the get go he sucks you down into the pages and effortlessly takes you back and forth between the present and the past.
Tarl
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, short-story
Written in the style of the old gothic horrors, Meikle presents an interesting story about the Abominable Snowman on Everest.

The story itself is well written. The older style of writing is captured really well and lends itself heavily into making the story more realistic and believable. You get a feel for the characters, their hopes and dreams and what drives them. This helps push the story long easily and presents them in a very realistic manner. The setting is done well, and the trials of scal
Neal Hock
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This past weekend I was looking for something quick and fun to read. Something of my choosing that I wanted to simply enjoy and not have to worry about writing a review for (and yes, this is a review, but one of my choice, not because I was asked to read the book) or proofing for errors. So as I was browsing Amazon to find something to fit the bill I came across William Meikle’s novelette, ABOMINABLE. After reading the description and glancing at the reviews, I quickly started to read it. And bo ...more
Dylan
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is the mystery of that ill-fated final ascent by Mallory and Irvine finally revealed . . . ?

Abominable, in its title, leaves nothing to the imagination about what happens to the two climbers on that 1924 attempt to summit Everest, but the twists in this great little read are something you will not expect. How far did the two climbers get? Did they really survive? How much would you pay to find out the truth?

It's a short read, but a good one, and the way Meikle blends journal quotes with the pers
Cathy
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
The son and grandson of Sherpas, our hero is a little more enterprising. He'd much rather sell trinkets to tourists in the marketplace. He's about to make a killing with his dying father's gift - the journal, and possibly photos, from an ill-fated climb on Everest in 1924.
He's asking lots of money. It may be worth the price.
The title of this novella may be a hint. Very well-written. Held my interest.
Chris
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
Very short historical horror story about an alternative possibility for the demise of Mallory and Irvine, lost on Everest. It has always been an open speculation as to whether they, or either of them, reached the summit. Meikle's story presumes that they did---and then describes what they found there, or what found them....

Meikle is a good writer and everything he writes is fun to read.
Martin Belcher
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Quite a fun very short story, partly historically based on the 1924 ascent of Mount Everest by Mallory and Irvine. Meikle cleverly plays with some ideas here and gives us an horrific alternative of what might have happened to the climbers when they come face to face with the terrifying Yeti. Brilliant, I loved it and its great for a very short read full of suspense!
Ed Wyrd
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable fictional account of George Mallory's 1924 attempt to climb Everest.
Tyler
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book was well written, but I thought the ending was a little contrived and unnecessarily slanderous.

<(view spoiler)
Dave Pope
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I personally am not a fan of these very short works offered for sale as they can't possibly espouse much more than an idea. You cannot develop characters or scenarios as a writer given 30 odd pages. This is entertaining for the short space of time that it takes to read it but that's all it is. It is an interesting take on the first Everest summit. To my mind - put something like this in a collection of short stories or novellas but don't try to use it as a 'stand alone'.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • The Flock
  • The Mountain King
  • Leviathan
  • An Occurrence in Crazy Bear Valley
  • Borealis
  • Arcadian Genesis (Alex Hunter, #0.5)
  • Tight Little Stitches on a Dead Man's Back
  • Hell Ship (Dane Maddock Origins #2)
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • Natural Selection
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • To Read or Not to Read
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with more than twenty novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries.

My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and glory.

For
More about William Meikle...