Start by marking “Vandrende Sjæle” as Want to Read:
Vandrende Sjæle

Vandrende Sjæle (The Host #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  780,663 Ratings  ·  39,856 Reviews
Melanie Stryder nægter at forsvinde. Vores verden er blevet invaderet af en skjult fjende. Mennesket er blevet ufrivillige værter for disse indtrængende væsner, som overtager sindet, alt imens kroppene forbliver intakte og fortsætter deres hverdagsliv tilsyneladende uberørte. Størstedelen af menneskeheden er bukket under.

Da Melanie, en af de få vilde mennesker, der er tilb
Published October 8th 2009 by Lindhardt og Ringhof (first published May 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Vandrende Sjæle, please sign up.

Steven Really? This was written by Lord Voldemort? That's definitely something that would pique my interest. The Host gets you into the head of two…moreReally? This was written by Lord Voldemort? That's definitely something that would pique my interest. The Host gets you into the head of two characters. The character development and plot, as others have mentioned, do move slowly at first. I picked up and put down the book several times waiting for it to really "get going." Once it picked up, though, it _really_ picked up and was hard to put back down. I found that these characters were NOT two-dimensional, and all supporting roles were specific, poignant, and unique from one another. I reread it a few times.(less)
Thorin This book is like nothing you have ever seen before. Even though aliens are the big problem, it is not just your regular alien-invasion sci-fy book.…moreThis book is like nothing you have ever seen before. Even though aliens are the big problem, it is not just your regular alien-invasion sci-fy book. It makes you question the problems in the world today and the emotions are so clear, you feel them right through the page. Plus; there is a four-way love triangle. It gets pretty complicated when two people are sharing one body.(less)

Jenne
May 02, 2008 marked it as didnt-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Okay, so I was reading along, and thinking all, hey, this is pretty interesting! Not bad, Stephenie!

And then I got to about page 80 or so, and OH MY GOD THERE IT IS AGAIN, THE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE SAPPINESS OH MY EYES MY EYES

I just can't do it. CAN'T DO IT AGAIN! Not the older man, and the younger woman, and the 5-page discussion of why they can't have sex yet because NO DEAR YOU'RE JUST NOT READY EVEN THOUGH YOU REALLY WANT IT BECAUSE LOOK, YOU'RE A GIRL AND YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY MAKE YOUR OWN DECIS
Britt
Nataliya
May 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody. Except for people I dislike.
I must be a masochist. Why else would I pick this book up in the first place, let alone finish it? And it was so NOT worth it. To sum up my impressions of this story - WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! WHYYYYYYY??? *
* This refers to the pointless waste of an entire tropical forest on the printing of this 600+ pager in which NOTHING happens. I kid you not. **

** Well, what else did I expect from a woman who created sparkly virgin vampires??? Hanging my head in shame. ***

*** In my defense, here is the quote fr
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
It's no secret that I did not jump on the Twilight bandwagon. I put my name on the hold list at the library for The Host, however, because I wanted to see if Stephenie Meyer had improved in her storytelling. I'm happy to say, "Yes, she did. To a point."

I would like someone tell me what her fascination is with sappy, overly dramatic dialogue, 17-year old girls and over-protective older men who carry them while running? Because there are some definite similarities here.

I find it interesting that t
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Okay, so I read this book when I was ... 15? So, that was almost four years ago. When I reviewed it, I was a bit of an idiot. (Or, a lot of an idiot.) My review consisted of a lot of exclamation points and OMG's and rather stupid statements like, "STEPHENIE MEYER IS LYK DA BEST WRITER EVAHHH." And yet, as idiotic as I sounded, this is my third most-liked review (probably because it's such a popular book, and probably everyone who "liked" it was also a 15-year-old who couldn't punctuate and who t ...more
Ariana

“It’s not the face, but the expressions on it.
It’s not the voice, but what you say.
It’s not how you look in that body, but the thing you do with it.
You are beautiful.”

I give this book 5 stars because is just such an amazing book. I really, really love it!

At first sight it looks like it's a book about aliens, but in reality it's about the human kind and it's questioning how much humanity remains in us all.
It's a book about survival, about love (so many types of love: loving yourself, loving t
Sella Malin
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE MUST READ IT OR DIE!!! XD
GAH!!!!

AAAAGGH!!!

SODTODSHT!!

AHAAHOSHDTO!!!!!

DSODHTOHDTOHTOSDHTSHHHHHHTHIDSDOIOSHDTOIH!!!

Those are more accurate phrases, more fitting descriptions of my reaction at the end of this book. Unfortunately, those cannot be precisely translated into the English language.

Holy Crap. HOLY CRAP!! I can't even process my thoughts to write a review for this. This book was so stunning, so amazing, so crazy good that I can't even describe it. XD I'm extremely impressed of Stephenie Meyer. This beats Twilight
Annalisa
May 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Melinda
I wanted to like this book more than I did--to see that Stephenie Meyer can pick a topic not meant for shallow teenage girls and write on a deeper level--but I think this book is more of the same, sans the vampire excitement. I liked the idea: an alien soul inhibiting the host body of a girl who doesn't want to relinquish her control and the conflicts that arise, particularly in romance. There are some interesting topics, like what defines humanity and are we living worthy enough for the planet ...more
Jessica Edwards
When it comes to reading books that has a film made about it, I tend to watch the film first and then read the book. The Host is probably one of my favorite films, I absolutely love Max Irons, I think he's gorgeous, and while I was watching the film, I also couldn't help but admire the actor who played Ian.
I'm a huge fan of Stephenie Meyer, she's one of the authors that made me want to start writing, but I couldn't possibly be as skilled of a writer than she is. She's incredible!
I loved the Twi
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Nov 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2008
Aimed at the adult science fiction crowd, as opposed to the Young Adult Twilight fanbase, The Host isn't about science or where the human race is headed, but about what it means to be human, here and now.

Earth has been quietly, non-aggressively conquered by a kind, pacifist species unable to lie or deceive, who go by different names on different planets in different languages. Here they call themselves "souls", while the rebel humans who have slipped through the net call them "parasites". They a
Railee
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about an emotional roller coaster!!!! This book was very difficult to rate. If someone were to ask me, "Was it good?" I'd have to think for a long time and then say, "No.... Well... yes, sorta.... No... It was ok." But if someone were to ask me if I'd enjoyed it, I'd instantly reply, "Yes!" Would I read it again? Probably not. Was it exciting? On occasion. Was in interesting? Very much so, in my opinion. Was it weird? YES! Were the characters well-developed? ... After the first half of the ...more
Lissa
“Did you have a good bath?” he says as I come out after only an hour.
“No,” I say, recognising that my tone is petulant.
“Why not?” he asks in surprise, as the answer is usually the opposite.
“I hate the book. Nothing is happening. Nothing has happened. And the aliens who invaded still make junk food. This doesn’t make sense. They don’t earn money or pay for anything, but they still make junk food. An alien invader who could read the mind of its host would learn to only make food with essential nut
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just can't comprehend why so many people are rating this book 5 stars. Seriously, why? I understand we are in love with Twilight, but it's not a good enough reason to support this mediocrity.

I was extremely disappointed by Breaking Dawn, but decided not to be a hater and give SM another chance. So I opened The Host. I have to say, I have never had to put this much effort into reading a book in my life. If I didn't know who SM was, I wouldn't even bother to read after page 10, it was that bori
Kris
May 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am having so much trouble reading this book, and who am I to judge? I am just a lowly reader and spender, not a publisher. But there is just something about the writing in this book that is making the voices in my head scream. I had the same experience when I read "Twilight."
Ms. Meyers is over-the-top descriptive where there is no need to be. If I had to count how many times she wrote, "I winced." or, "I flinched." or, "I sighed." or, "Ian sighed." I bet it would be in the hundreds. She has a
Saniya
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, favorites
OKAY. I TAKE ALL THAT BACK. IAN WAS EPIC. I LOVE LOVE LOVE JAKE ABEL. OMG. THE MOVIE WAS SO EPIC! I CRIED LIKE THREE TO FOUR TIMES. I CAN'T EVEN- *Breath, Saniya, breath.* ...*Sighh.*
Okay. This movie was freaking awesome and I just want to hug somebody right now. :'3

I am so sorry Jake baby. You were awesome in it. I misjudged you. Now I will love you forever. *Creepy fan-girl smile*

Did You Know?
1)Dianna Agron auditioned for the role of Melanie Stryder.
2)Shiloh Fernandez, Liam Hemsworth, Kit Har
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

I cannot describe how much i love this book. Even though it was long, i still loved every page of it. I never read Stephanie Meyer before, but i love this book. She really is a good writer. The only downside that i had was that i watched the movie first - therefore i knew what was going to happen. But book was so much better, with more informations about Souls, and better characterization. And, one important thing: you will either love or hate this book.

One thing also that
Lina
Jul 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Unfortunately, the thing that drives me to write today is the poorly written book known as The Host, by none other than Stephenie "Sparkling Vampires" Meyer.
Photobucket
Now, I went into this book with lukewarm expectations. Many people have said that The Host is actually better written than The Twilight "Saga", which isn't really saying much if you really look at it.
Photobucket
However, I held in my bias and decided to give it a try, besides after Sparkling Vampires how much worse can it possibly get? Good Lord
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

It finally ended. OMG LONGEST BOOK EVER.

This could have been an incredible book. The premise is AMAZING. Advanced aliens who call themselves “souls” conquer Earth by implanting themselves into their human hosts and taking over their bodies. Yeah, it’s a “body snatcher” theme. The alien who calls herself Wanderer has lived nine different lives on nine different planets as nine different sentient species…

Awesome sci-fi stuff.

I really wanted to like this. Duh, Twilight and all.

But just imagine the
I still l♡ve this one ☺ Wanda is so self-sacrificing, and the way everybody hates her and grows to love her is inspiring ☺

Totally prefer the book to the movie though ☺
James Trevino
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I was not a big Twilight fan. I read all the books, I found them ok and compared to many YA titles coming out nowadays, they were actually decently written.
But The Host is on a whole other level. It is a freaking GOOD book! Good characters, great plot, nice world building ladaladalada.
Sorry for being short today, but I am kind of on the run. Either way, what I wanted to say is that even if you disliked Twilight, don't give up on The Host. It is worth it!
Karin
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2008-reads
Wanderer has just arrived on Earth and been implanted into her new host. She has lived on seven worlds before coming here. She is arriving toward the end of the alien invasion when very few humans remain. The aliens are known as “souls” and are a peace loving type that don’t know of violence or lying.

Very few humans remain on Earth. When the remaining humans are discovered, they are captured by Seekers - the closest thing to a police force the “souls” have. Once captured, they are prepared for i
Chloe
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have to say I was not expecting this book to be as good as it was!
Even though the first 150 pages or so are slightly slow the rest of the book is fast paced and becomes a very interesting read.
Would defiantly recommend this book to anyone who is even slightly interested in it!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Edited after seeing the movie:

I went with my daughters to see the movie adaptation of The Host this evening, and was reminded of how much I loved this book. That said, it's as it was with the Twilight books-to-movie adaptation and the movies didn't do the books justice, and neither did it for The Host, which is one of my favorite stories.

My point is, please don't let the movie scare you off. If you go see it and find the story compelling but the acting not so much, please pick up the book and r
Hristina
First read: May 26th through June 8th 2013
Second read: March 2016 (didn't keep track)
Third read: July 9th through July 15th 2016

I gotta say, Ian O'Shea is still too adorable.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Host, Stephenie Meyer
عنوان: میزبان؛ نویسنده: استفنی مه یر؛ مترجم: شهناز کمیلی زاده؛ کرج در دانش بهمن؛ 1388؛ در 769 ص؛ شابک: 9789641741039؛ چاپ دوم 1388؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی - قرن 21 م
یک پرسش

آن زمانی که جسمم، این سگ خوب و
Andrea
Nov 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-style
Mrs. Meyers and I can no longer be tortured friends. Maybe someday I can finish this poor excuse for a novel, but I'm going to relieve myself of the misery for now. The premise was fine, but the dysfunctional psychological processes of every single character has me truly sick. Not to mention that Melanie Stryder, (i mean, Bella Swan...) is essentially the same pathetic female character that we've seen in the Twilight series. I'm done.
I have been mystified by this writer because so very many peo
Beatrice Masaluñga
So much potential in this book. I don't understand why Stephenie Meyer isn't continuing the sequels and it's been 8 years since this was published. I love Twilight Saga but this is better and I'm not kidding. I have watched the movie first without any idea of the story and I really enjoyed it but my reading experience was incredible.

"Souls" are parasitic like aliens invading the humans on Earth making them as their host. These souls lived for thousands of years and have taken over many living t
Caroline
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
I was pretty iffy about this book going in--I've read all of Stephenie Meyer's other books (the Twilight series) and they're decently good, but nothing amazing. I'm not big on sappy romances, and I was concerned that this would just be one big huge romance like the others.

I was surprised, definitely. While it does have romantic elements to the story, it didn't feel like the romance took over the plot and didn't allow for any real story to happen.

What I liked the best about this book is how much
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
I just wanna pick it right back up and read it again! Looooove
Becca Jane
Let me start off by saying that I wanted to like this book sooooooo very much. But unfortunately I was disappointed. I was excited about Stephanie’s description of a love triangle with only two bodies, and that the book was advertised as an “Adult” book. But when the main female character, Melanie, is 17 and the main male character, Jared, is 26, I was put off. I do not have a problem with the age difference just how young she is. It would not have detracted at all from their relationship or the ...more
Home Windows Hosting 1 1 Sep 18, 2017 10:43AM
Of Stephenie Meyer's books, which one is better? Twilight or The Host? 123 615 Aug 27, 2017 08:25PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Am I the only one who liked The Host? (spoilers) 48 206 Aug 11, 2017 07:25PM
Am I the only one who thinks Jared is a disgusting creep?? 6 37 Aug 03, 2017 08:25PM
ian or jared 139 471 Jun 29, 2017 09:31AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Host By Stephenie Meyer - Restarting April 11th 2017 117 255 Apr 28, 2017 08:54PM
We ♥ YA Books! : Meag's Corner 3 5 Mar 16, 2017 10:00AM
  • Splendor (Luxe, #4)
  • Shadows (Lux, #0.5)
  • Silver Is for Secrets (Blue is for Nightmares, #3)
  • Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5)
  • Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
  • Twilight (The Mediator, #6)
  • Thy Gold to Refine (The Work and the Glory #4)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • Until the End (Final Friends, #1-3)
  • Tempted (House of Night, #6)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Rogue (Shifters, #2)
  • Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
I was born in Connecticut in 1973, during a brief blip in my family's otherwise western U.S. existence. We were settled in Phoenix by the time I was four, and I think of myself as a native. The unusual spelling of my name was a gift from my father, Stephen (+ ie = me). Though I have had my name spelled wrong on pretty much everything my entire life long, I must admit that it makes it easier to Goo ...more
More about Stephenie Meyer...

The Host (3 books)
  • The Seeker (The Host, #2)
  • The Soul (The Host, #3)

“It's not the face, but the expressions on it. It's not the voice, but what you say. It's not how you look in that body, but the thing you do with it. You are beautiful.” 4049 likes
“I, the soul called Wanderer, love you, human Ian. And that will never change, no matter what I might become.” 1305 likes