Start by marking “Sidekicks” as Want to Read:
Sidekicks

Sidekicks

INTRODUCING: METAL MUTT! STATIC CAT! AND... FLUFFY!?!

Captain Amazing, hero of Metro City, is so busy catching criminals that he rarely has time for his pets at home. He doesn't even notice when they develop superpowers of their own.

So when he announces that he needs a sidekick, his dog, hamster, and chameleon each decide to audition. But with each pet determined to win the
Published July 1st 2011 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Sidekicks, please sign up.

Calista
Superhero Pets!

An aging superhero neglects his pets. They all want to be his super sidekick and they work together as a team to prove their worth.

The art is vibrant and colorful. The characters are great fun. I like Fluffy and Shift. I think my nephew could handle this story. I'll see if I can read it to him. This is a wonderful comic story for a new and young reader or anyone who enjoys comics and superheros. Dan weaves a nice little story out of the genre.

I don't think there are any sequels w
Betsy
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid I got to read comics that I had no business putting my grubby little hands on. You see my grandmother had carefully left all my dad’s old Superman, Superboy, Metal Men, X-Men, etc. comics intact so that when we went to visit I’d root through them and read ‘em until there was little left but a pile of yellowed pulp. The result of this research during my early childhood is that I’m one of the rare grown women you might meet with a working knowledge of late 50s/early 60s comic book ...more
Mary Ann
Superheroes, pets, friends loyal to the end, and illustrations with enough POW to knock your socks off - it's a winning combination for the new graphic novel Sidekicks, by Dan Santat. I predict that young kids are going to beg their parents to read this aloud to them, and older ones are going to read it again and again, relishing in the action, the exciting story, and the multi-layered details. If you have a child who loves superheroes or comic books, definitely check this out.

Roscoe the Dog and
Angelica Garcia
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very fun and sweet book about a team of animal sidekicks to Captain Amazing, and how they work together to save the day. It makes me want to read more By this author!
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. A fun graphic novel with a good story, action-y, comic book-y, with a nice twist. The aging superhero who lives in a regular house was great fun (reminded me of Megamind?) and of course I enjoyed the animal aspect. Pets with an active home life and aspirations of being sidekicks.
J.C. Rice
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This slowly sets the table for a series that apparently will never be written. Fun at times, but I'm never a big fan of the slow moving Super Hero backdrop stories.
Hope Santat ends up doing a sequel--the characters have some potential and he's a fine artist.
Ari
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this comic book was exciting. This book is very imaginative.
Michele Knott
Really glad to see this book added to the 2016 IL Bluestem Choice nominations. It will be an easy book to book talk!
Stacy Ford
Barbara
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
This is a cool story in graphic novel format about friendship among pets and their human companion, who happens to be a superhero named Captain Amazing. But life has a way of taking a toll on all of us, and Captain Amazing (Harry, to his friends)is getting older, slowing down, and in need of a helpful sidekick to bear some of the superhero responsibilities. His ambitious pets decide to audition for the spot despite his reluctance to endanger their lives. Thus, a dog, a hamster, a chameleon, and ...more
Ms. Yingling
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Captain Amazing is getting on in years, but still fighting crime. When he is felled by exposure to a peanut, he uses his time off to look for a side kick to help him out. His pets think that they can help-- Roscoe has been trained as Metal Mutt, Fluffy the hamster has a cool outfit, and Static Cat, who ran away from home after an altercation with Roscoe, has been out on his own as The Claw. Captain Amazing also brings home a chameleon, Shifty, and the pets all attempt to fight crime and prove th ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
There is a hero who works to save the day. No, he is not Superman. He is Captain Amazing. However, he works so hard saving the day that he isn't at home with his pets all that often. Also take into account his peanut allergy and the incident with a nut cart and he is home-bound for a little while. The incident with the peanuts causes Captain Amazing to wonder if he should hold tryouts for a new sidekick. All of his pets decide they would like to give the hero business a try. Of course there is a ...more
Mari
Captain Amazing (aka Harry) is taking some time off to recover from a peanut allergy induced illness. He's getting older, and realizes it is time to look for a new sidekick - and 3 of his pets want to audition for the job! But first, they need some training. Little do they know that their beloved master is in danger. The action focuses on the pets (dog, hamster, chameleon, and cat), but I loved Harry. Even though he has super powers, he's just a regular guy who gets wrapped up with work and miss ...more
Valeria Ambriz
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book and how the cat,hamster,dog,and the camileon rescued Captain Amazing at the end of the book and how the cat wanted to be a super hero so that Captain Under pants could take him to the auditions of the Side kicks and the Cat reached his goal and he then was proud of him self the hamster riscing his life to fight the other Man who was faking to be a Captain and he wasn't he just wanted to get revenge on Captain Amazing.
Matthew K.
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think the book was awesome because it had pictures and really good scenes of action.
Donalyn
Reminiscent of classic superhero comics, this graphic novel, by the creator of The Replacements, tells the story of Amazing Man's pets who decide to audition to be his sidekick. This will be a big hit with kids and adults alike.
Carol
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was really cute! It's about a superhero who is so busy fighting crime that he doesn't have time for his pets. They all go in disguise and apply to be his sidekick so they can spend more time with him. Love it!!! I hope there's going to be a sequel.
Lena
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute I can't even... :,(

It was sweet and fun and a bit sad. A great book about overcoming differences and working together...a superhero story for animal lovers of all ages.

I loved it.
Diego Herrera
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book was about a little mouse and he wanted to become a super hero like his owner and the mouse asks the cat if he can teach him and the cat used to be the side kick of a super hero but he ran away and a dog he used to train took his place i reccomend this book to alejandro
Isabella Cuevas
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it because i love animals.
Ryan M. Hanna
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I am glad I finally read this classroom favorite! Really enjoyable.
Mariacervantes
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book IS funny and adventures like it says they are sidekicks. They some times fight but it is funny. I recommend this book to people that like funny books.
Galilea Estrada
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book because its about superheros that want to saved persons life, and the city there living on there are animals superheros that was funny. And its a really good comic book.
M Grant
An endearing story about superheroes... Villains... Family... Pets... And more.
I enjoyed the art and the story.
Am going to be reading this one to the girls at bedtime this week,
Blue
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Cute, fun, and the kind of strange needed to make the premise work.
Emmy Neal
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was adorable and amazing in so many ways. Basically, THE INCREDIBLES (my favorite movie) but with pets.
Colby Sharp
First read 8/2011 Superhero sidekick pets=Awesome
Steph
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kids will eat this graphic novel up! Such vivid colors and characters. :-)
Matthew Hunter
Santat’s artwork, though!

A sweet story about the importance of friendship and family.
Reading Log#3 2 16 Jun 29, 2019 03:45PM

• Around the World
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • Earthling!
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)
  • Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #1)
  • Nursery Rhyme Comics: 50 Timeless Rhymes from 50 Celebrated Cartoonists
  • Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty