Start by marking “Devil's Kiss (The Hellraisers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devil's Kiss (The Hellraisers, #1)

Read Excerpt

Devil's Kiss

(The Hellraisers #1)

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  573 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
A Handsome Devil

1762. James Sherbourne, Earl of Whitney, is a gambling man. Not for the money. But for the thrill, the danger--and the company: Whit has become one of the infamous Hellraisers, losing himself in the chase for adventure and pleasure with his four closest friends.

Which was how Whit found himself in a gypsy encampment, betting against a lovely Romani girl. Zor
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published December 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Kiss

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Devil's Kiss is the first in the Hellraisers historical paranormal romance series by Zoe Archer, and she has created an interesting world and an intriguing storyline that will keep me coming back to this series.

I loved how immersive this story was. I felt like I was in the Georgian period, where anything goes, if you have the money, power and status to make your own rules. With this background, the character have validity and their choices and motivations make sense. Whit is a hero that really
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it

3.75 flames

This Historical Paranormal Romance starts off with a bang. From the first sentence ”The gypsy girl cheated.” I was hooked. Whit (James Sherbourne Earl of Whitney) is out at the Rom encampment with his mates, gambling (and losing), while they are doing much the same. These 5 men, self-proclaimed Hellraisers, are bored, and only want more. Doesn’t matter that they are wealthy, or handsome, they just want more.

When they are informed of an ancient R
Mimi Smith
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr
2 stars

Whit has been a gambling man all his life. And it had ended up being the only thing that makes him feel. He and his 4 friends have named themselves Hellchasers, for they are rich, powerful successful and...bored. Bored with life, vices, everything, they only want the unattainable. So, when they stumble upon a mystery crate in ancient ruins(which they, of course, open. Pandora, anyone?), and unleash...something and are offered what they want the most in the world, they don't hesitate, not
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Review also posted at UTC BOOK BLOG

I'm going to be honest here and say that even if I've heard talks about Zoe Archer before, I never took the chance and read up on her or her books. After reading the blurb for this book I jumped at the opportunity to read it and gave it a chance. I am glad that I did as I've found another series to follow. :D

The Hellraisers are definitely a good addition to the PNR world. This group of outcasts has made their mark in the 18th century doing as they pleased and
All Things Urban Fantasy
I've always been a sucker for a reformed rake, and Zoe Archer's Hellraisers series gives a dark, delicious twist to the trope. I also love it when an author successfully flirts with how dark a character can get without turning readers against them, and Whit’s early treatment of Zora definitely treads that line.

There were times when Whit’s assurances to Zora were almost too perfect, but on the whole, I enjoyed Archer’s playful dialogue and homage to historical romance. My suspended disbelief was
Stephanie  G
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lord Whitney, or Whit, is a member of the Hellraisers. The Hellraisers are a self-proclaimed group of men up to no good. For fun they decide to visit a gypsy group. While Whit gambles, and flirts with a gypsy girl named Zora, his companions learn of an old Roman ruin. They all decide to give the ruin a look, and end up unlocking a great evil that threatens their souls.

Parajunkee
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Striking out lately with paranormal romance I thought ‘Devil’s Kiss’ by Zoe Archer might be just what I needed. A little taste of something new - and I was right. Archer crafted some unique lore and put together a great start of series that has me excited to read more. The Hellraisers are a group of men in the 1700s that are of a wealthy persuasion and have the tendency to get a bit rowdy. Prone to gamble, drinking and women, the boys are always two steps away from danger. Boredom has led them t ...more
Ellen
Wow.

I'm, in two minds on my choice of this book. On the one hand I loved it, on the other I read the blurb and expected a Romani girl redeeming a rogue in 1700's London.

The Hellraisers make a deal with the devil in the second chapter. He admits to being the devil and simply prefers being known by Mr. Holliday. They are not foolish young men, they are grown men who fall suprisingly fast for temptation.

Zora was with her band of gypsy fleecing the Gorgio in cards and entertaining them with card tri
Ren
Won this from Team Sheltie Blog.
Thanks, Karen! =)

Zoe Archer is my auto-buy author. Love her Blades of The Rose series...

Release date : December,6th

=___=" (at last I can buy this together with Immortal Rider)
Mary
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Zoe Archer book, and my first in this genre, and I have to say I was just staggered by the sheer imagination that went into this book's plotting. I was so surprised I gasped at one point, which for me is unheard of.
Julie
May 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Devil’s Kiss is the first book in Zoe Archer’s newest series, The Hellraisers. I read the blurb for this book and assumed the series would be about five gentlemen friends in the late 1700’s who happen to enjoy life a little too much. I figured that each book would focus on how one friend finds love and happiness yet would still include the other friends. I love books like that. But once I started reading Devil’s Kiss, I realised that there is so
Riley Banks
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I was completely enamored by this book in the beginning. I loved the details the author had gone into to set the scene as the late 1700s. I loved the language she’d chosen, especially when she described Whit as sharply elegant as a rapier. The author had such a way with words that it really conveyed certain scenes clearly in my mind. Here were some of my favorites:

For a moment, he simply knelt there like a pagan about to perform a holy ritual, his gaze on her devouring, possessive.

The terror fr
Caroline The HEA Lover
(This review was originally published on Book Lovers Inc)

Much like the hero, I took a gamble with this new series. I’ve read and enjoyed Zoe’s writing before and I had to read the first book in her new series. It was a gamble because the pact with the devil theme has never been a favorite theme of mine.

Zoe Archer never does things like the others, so it’s not a surprise that her heroine is not your usual Lady. Zora is a Rom, she’s been telling Gorgios‘ fortune for money, telling them exactly wha
E_bookpushers
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/11/28/...

Publisher: Kensington
Publish Date: Dec 6th
How I got this book: From the publisher

A HANDSOME DEVIL

1762. James Sherbourne, Earl of Whitney, is a gambling man. Not for the money. But for the thrill, the danger—and the company: Whit has become one of the infamous Hellraisers, losing himself in the chase for adventure and pleasure with his four closest friends.

Which is how Whit finds himself in a gypsy encampment, betting against
Paige
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
I have mixed feelings about DEVIL’S KISS upon my finishing it. Although I certainly wouldn’t call it a bad book, there was just something missing in it for me.

There was just something about James Sherbourne Earl of Whitney and Gypsy Zora Grey that seemed different. They went through many phases together and some parts you saw the growth and then some parts I felt you were just expected to accept. For example, Zora wouldn’t sleep with Whit and then when they reach his Earl house she requests one
Erin
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great series from Zoe Archer. The concept to the story is quite simple, 5 friends, as close as brothers, unwittingly release the devil from his imprisonment. The grateful Devil gives each man his heart desires at the cost of each man's soul.

For Whit, his gift was the ability to control odds (chance). Whit's character is a lost risk taker, always upping the bet in order to feel the rush. He has ignored everything else in his life, his estates, his sister, and most other responsibilities.

Z
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
You want everything you have dreamed of? Are you ready to do the deal of your life? Think again!

“Devil’s Kiss” by Zoe Archer is the first book in a paranormal historical romance series and it was a good book. I enjoyed it but I think that something was missing.

Five friends made a deal with the devil and their dreams came true. But what happens when the dreams became nightmares? Whit, the earl of Whitney, made a deal: he now has the gift of control the odds unaware of just how high the
Melanie Adkins
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
James Sherbourne, Earl of Whitney was bored. His gaming left him empty and his fellow Hellraisers were feeling the same way. They were told by servants of a gypsy camp on the property of one of the Hellraisers, Bram, and decided to go investigate. While there, Whit met a beautiful gypsy woman who took his breath away. He wanted her in every way.
Things take an interesting turn when one of the gypsy men tells the Hellraisers about a ruin located on the property. Immediately the men decide to chec
April
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
DEVIL'S KISS by Zoe Archer is not to miss beginning to the "Hellraisers" series.What a fast paced,action paced story of the "Hellraisers". A paranormal historical romance that will have you bitting your nails,and setting on the edge of your seat. With a bit of magic,passion,desires,adventure,and pleasure. This is the story of James Sherbourne,Earl of Whitney and Zora Grey. If you could have your every wish, would you give up the love of your life? Sherbourne,and four of his closest friends consi ...more
Nick Nicholas
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Raising the Devil, making a pact, getting a gift in the form of a power and dealing with the consequences of it, and then there is the relationship with Zora and Whit, the primary heroine/hero. It is all building up to a steamy romance and an epic battle resulting in eternal damnation or salvation complete with ghosts, demons and hellish, devilish creatures. It's a classic good/light vs evil/dark battle! It's a great story and I think you'll enjoy it.
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kiwi
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Never make a deal with the Devil.

Opening Sentence: The Gypsy girl cheated.

The Review:

If heaven and hell do exist, would you make a deal with the Devil if it meant having a hold on your wildest desires?

In a scary look into the minds of man, this novel shines a spotlight on the human condition complete with the insecurities, greed, lust and desires of five ne’er do wells known as the Hellraisers. A name given to them by society, and boy have t
Kathleen
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As much as I tried, I had a hard time getting into this book. Finally at about page 300 it got interesting to me. I first started it as an audiobook and it was just not suitable (so I thought). So a get the book from the library, tried to hang with it. Took me twice as long as usual to read it - I clear sign I wasn't captivated.
Kate Crowe
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Paranormal Romance
As a member of a club of 5 who call themselves the Hell raisers, the hero has always strived to live up to that name. Ever since a school lad, he and his friends have conquered London and beyond-living only for the next thrill. He himself has always had a gambling compulsion. Though he is rather good at it and is wealthy enough because of it-although being a titled Earl has helped- he doesn't acknowledge the fact that the gambling truly is an addiction and controls his life. Regardless, when he ...more
Chelsea
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, reviews-done
This is a unique historical paranormal book and a new to me author.
In Devil’s Kiss we meet James Sherbourne and Zora Grey, who are from England in the year 1762. James who is known as Whit to his friends, is the Earl of Whitney and is what the gypsies like to dub as gorgios. Zora Grey is a Romani girl from the Gypsy encampment.
Whit and his four friends heard news of the Gypsies in the neighborhood and decided to go pay liberal amounts of money to be entertained by the Gypsies that night with m
Karen
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
In Zoe Archer's new series she takes us to the year 1762 and introduces us to five friends, known as the Hellraisers, for their relentless pursuit of adventure and life's pleasures.

James Sherbourne, Earl of Whitney (Whit) meets a gypsy beauty named Zora at her family camp. They have an instant connection. Zora doesn't usually believe in superstitions but she has a heavy sense of foreboding as Whit leaves her camp with his friends to tour a local ruin that evening.

Zora's intuition is correct and
Toni
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kensington-arcs
3.5 Stars

Watch out London!!! The Hellraisers are in town.

The Hellraisers are five friends hell bent on NOT conforming to societies rules. Each fierce in their own right, but together they will be unstoppable.

This is the beginning of what promises to be a great series. I love the originality of the plot. I personally have not read anything like this, but that really doesn’t say much.

This series begins with the story of James “Whit” Sherbourne, Earl of Whiney. His vice in life is gambling. He liv
Kathy Jund
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Being an unattached titled aristocrat answering to no one, free to indulge in nothing other than one’s own desires should make one feel fulfilled. However, travelling everywhere to experience the next great thrill may also find one in a sorry state of boredom. Sadly, for James Sherbourne, Earl of Whitney this is the case. James lives to gamble, the higher the stakes the better, the more he loses the better he feels. It is only money after all As if it is not bad enough that James lives to deal h ...more
Beth Dawkins
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
3.5

The story takes place in 1762, and does a great job of showing it off. The story sets all around England visiting London, Oxfo
Kimberly
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Blue Ribbon Rating: 4 out of 5
Original Review Link

James Sherbourne, Earl of Whitney, loves to gamble. The risk, the thrill, the ability to beat the odds…there is nothing better. He and his four equally scandalous friends are known as the Hellraisers. Nothing is ever exciting enough for them. That is, until one of their adventures takes a dark turn. The Hellraisers release the devil himself and in return each is given a power to make their deepest desires come true.

What Whit doesn’t realize is th
BTS Book Club: Devil's Kiss (The Hellraisers, #1) by Zoe Archer (March) 14 9 Mar 14, 2012 07:02PM
  • Heavy Metal Heart (Demon Rock, #1)
  • No Proper Lady (Englefield, #1)
  • His Dark Bond (Fallen, #2)
  • Lucien's Fall
  • Demons Like It Hot (Demons Unleashed, #2)
  • Warrior Ascended (Sons of the Zodiac, #1)
  • That Old Black Magic (Living In Eden, #3)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • HellFire (DemonSlayers #2)
  • Sins of the Soul (The Sins Series, #2)
  • Slayer's Kiss (The Shadow Slayers, #1)
  • Lust (The Sins and The Virtues, #1)
  • The Danger of Desire (Dartmouth Brides #3)
  • Devil Without a Cause (The Devil's Bargain, #1)
  • At Last
  • Immortal Warrior (Immortal Brotherhood, #1)
  • What a Goddess Wants (Forgotten Goddesses, #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Witchblade Chronicles #1)
Zoë Archer is a RITA award-nominated romance author whose stories are about smart, capable heroines and the heroes who love them. She is the author of the acclaimed Blades of the Rose series, as well as the Hellraiser, and Nemesis Unlimited series, among others. She also writes Regency-set romances as Eva Leigh. Visit her on the Web at http://www.zoearcherbooks.com/

The Hellraisers (3 books)
  • Demon's Bride (The Hellraisers, #2)
  • Sinner's Heart (The Hellraisers, #3)