Start by marking “Gimme a Call” as Want to Read:
Gimme a Call

Gimme a Call

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  5,028 Ratings  ·  664 Reviews
A new life is just a phone call away!

Devi's life isn't turning out at all like she wanted. She wasted the past three years going out with Bryan—cute, adorable, break-your-heart Bryan. Devi let her friendships fade, blew off studying, didn't join any clubs . . . and now that Bryan has broken up with her, she has nothing left.

Not even her stupid cell phone—she dropped it in
Published May 24th 2011 by Ember (first published January 1st 2010)

Arlene
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Goodreads Give-away winner!!! Woo hoo!!!!!
Gimme a Call by Mlynowski was a GREAT read that was a ton of fun! I enjoyed the book from cover to cover and could not have asked for a better plot and ending. The storyline is unique, the characters are very well developed, and as you read the book, you wonder… How is this going to resolve itself? Well, Sarah was clever and spot on with her perfect conclusion. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a break from paranorm, but still want to have some fun with a bit of suspended realit ...more
~Tina~
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha! What a fun read.

Did you ever want to change your own past? What would you do if you could talk to yourself when you were younger? What would you tell yourself? What would it change?
For Devi, apparently, it would change a helluva lot!

I really just loved the concept to Gimme a Call. How many times did I wish I could creep back into my own past and tweak a few things to make things be different for my future? But like Devi (& Ivy) the consequences to change ones past always come with a pric
Gabrielle
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book was so good!! Not what I expected at all it gave me chills
Robby
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that, in the beginning, I did not like this book. There was something about the narration, the tone, that just really turned me off. Lately, the books I have been reading have been lighter, a little less impacting, a little less serious. This is great, at times, but, as I made my way through the first few chapters, I considered putting this book down quite a few times.
I am so glad that I didn't stop reading this book.
Gimme A Call is about Devi Banks. A senior in high school, Devi's
Tara
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
That ending was really cute.

This was an easy, fast-paced read that kept me turning the pages even when the MC began to annoy me (both the older and younger versions, lol). But I enjoyed the writing, and the story, and the concept was executed very well.

3 stars.
Ana
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorei este livro, há muito tempo que não havia uma leitura que me prendesse desta forma, que me levasse a não ter vontade de o largar. Este é um livro bastante leve e divertido mas que, por trás disso, esconde uma mensagem. Este livro levou-me a refletir acerca da importância do nosso passado e de não querermos alterar aquilo que já aconteceu, pois tudo acontece por um motivo e cada decisão que tomamos tem consequências que nos levam ao momento onde estamos atualmente.
Emily
The book I chose is called Gimme a Call. It was about a girl named Devi that was having a rough time in her life. Once she drops her old cell phone into a fountain her life begins to become much better. Once she retrieves it out of the fountain, she realizes she can only call one number on the phone... She can only call her number in perticular, three years ago, at age 14. Now that Devi can talk to herself at a younger age, she can turn her whole life around and go to a great college, not get he ...more
Laurence R.
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think that the concept of this book is fantastic. I always wonder about the impact of a simple choice, so books about the different lives a person could be living because of some decisions they make are must-reads for me. This one is different from everything else I've read, so I was really interested about it and I wasn't disappointed.

I loved how the younger and the older Devi felt like two different people - which they are, in a way. They're the same person, but their life experience makes t
Lori (Pure Imagination)
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gimme a Call has been staring at me from my bookshelf for quite some time. I bought it because I loved Ten Things We Did and because that’s probably one of my favorite covers ever. So when I found myself in the mood for something fun and fast I knew I had to pick up Gimme a Call. It did not disappoint.

Devi’s heart is broken and she wishes that she could go back in time and make different decisions. After a clumsy accident involving a cell phone and a mall fountain Devi’s phone will only call her
Janelle Janica Gomez
The story is about Devi, or Devorah, whose life is in a mishap, no friends, worried about college, and worst of all, a boyfriend who just left her.

Her cellphone accidentally fell in a wishing fountain, just as she wished she could talk to her younger self, just to re-do everything in her life.

Imagine her surprise when her younger self does answer her almost-dead phone, and even more surprising to find out that everything that her former self does differently in the past, changes the future, or
Sarah Hadd
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book had a similar premise of “The Future of Us” by Jay Asher. Another thing they had in common? Great idea with boring execution. Maybe I wasn’t fair to Jay Asher when I wrote that review. Maybe it’s just really hard to write a “past self, future self” story. Because I always liked Sarah Mlynowski’s adult books. Disappointed overall.
Stephanie
My Summary: After being dumped by her boyfriend of four years, Devi realizes something: her life is in shambles. With no friends, an estranged sister and parents who hardly speak, Devi has nothing except her broken heart. And her phone.

But after accidentally dropping it in a mall fountain, Devi's phone appears to be on the fritz. It keeps calling the same number over and over: hers, four years earlier. Now with a connection to her past self, Devi plans her future - getting into the perfect colle
Ginny Potter
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5

High school senior, Devi Banks, has never really had a great life. Her family barely has any money, her GPA is below average, and she has no friends. So when the only good part of her life, her boyfriend Bryan, breaks up with her, she's left with pretty much nothing, other than loneliness and heartbreak. One day, she wakes up, and she finds that her phone can now only call one number, and that number is herself...as a freshman, before she lost her friends and, most importantly,
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Devi hates her senior year. In fact, she wishes that she could re-do her whole high school experience. When a freak phone accident occurs, she finds herself talking to her younger self. Now, she can tell her fourteen-year-old self all the things to fix before she ruins her life, starting with not dating her ex-boyfriend.

Devi spent so much time with him and neglected her friends and her school work. When they break up, she has nothing left. That's a
Febo
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es algo difícil para mi escribir reseñas, pero este libro merece una:
Cuando compre el libro fue algo muy interesante para mi ya que jamás lo había visto ni leído alguna reseña sobre el, pero conocía a la autora y con eso era suficiente. Lo agarre sin esperar demasiado porque no soy el tipo de persona que se emociona cuando compra un libro del que no sabe nada en absoluto. Pero la verdad es que el libro me sorprendió, me gusto mucho el mundo que crea la autora entre Pipi y Avy; y tengo que confes
puppitypup
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Teens only!

I believe this book would appeal to teens, although I found it a fairly tense read with older Devi putting so much pressure on younger Devi (view spoiler)

Devi is too hung-up on a boy to make the book interesting to adults. As an adult reading this, I would give it only 2 stars, but I came up to 3 since I'm obviously not the target audience.

Clean read, suitable to middle grade and up.
Vanessa L.
I liked this book because it was about a new topic: talking with the future or past you. Highschool senior, Devi, accidentally calls her self as a freahman. She decides to completely change her life after a bad breakup...sometimes it's not good to meddle in people's lives, even if it is yours.
Ana Fernandes
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
3,5⭐
Indecisa se chego a dar as 4⭐ ou não.
Uma leitura engraçada e às vezes um pouco confusa, mas deixa-nós um sorriso no rosto.
♥ Sarah
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Haven’t you ever wished that you’d be able to go back in time for a do-over? I think on the most miniscule, basic level everyone can relate to that feeling. But will going back in time (with everything you know now) truly change things for the better?

Gimme a Call was like the fluffy version of the Butterfly Effect without the actual time travel. In this book, senior in high school Dev is truly miserable. She’s completely alone and feeling sorry for herself. Her boyfriend of 3 years just dumped h
Nath
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chrissy
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
ADORABLE!

Have I mentioned before that Sarah Mlynowski is the queen of adorable young adult fiction? If not, let's say it again! ADORABLE!

I picked up GIMME A CALL after reading Mlynowski's MAGIC IN MANHATTAN series. I had no idea what this one was about -- but I knew it would be cute. And, I certainly was not disappointed.

Devi, a high school senior, wasted most of her teenage years in a relationship with Bryan -- a cute, sweet, gorgeous boy who breaks her heart and dumps her senior year. Looking
Yas
Yo me preocupo del presente. Intento disfrutar ¿sabes? Del día. El sol. Mi banco.

Primero que nada este libro lo encontré entre mis archivos del 2013 (cuando bajé un megapack de 200 libros xd) y como ayer no haya qué leer decidí darle una oportunidad; a ver qué tal resulta me dije.

En sí la historia trata de cómo la vida de Devi cambia (¡já! ni que se diga) luego de que su teléfono (con más de tres años de antigüedad) caiga en la fuente del centro comercial y se dañé. Es desde entonces cuando
Shonda
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Have you ever wished you could change your future by correcting a mistake of the past? If so, you’re not alone. Meet Devi Banks. She’s weeks away from graduating high school and prom is around the corner. It’s her senior year and she should be happy, right? Well, she’s not.

You see, her boyfriend, Bryan, of three plus years just broke up with her. Technically, they’re not broken up yet, but they will be when college starts in the fall. Devi heads to the mall to return a present she just purchased
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
What a really cute story! At first I wasn’t sure I would get all that into it. I was confused as it went back and forth. But in true Mlynowski style she pulled me in and kept me there. I ended up not only loving both Devi’s but hoping that things would work out!

Gimme A Call is the story of broken hearted Devi, a high school senior that is dumped by the boyfriend she dumped all her friends for. Completely lost and miserable things get worse when she drops her phone in the mall fountain. Now Devi
Aellai
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devi es una adolescente. Chica y grande, al mismo tiempo.
Todo empieza cuando Devi, destrozada por su ruptura con Bryan va al centro comercial y se sienta en la orilla de la fuente, desdichada. Entonces sucede: su teléfono se cae a la fuente.
Ella va por él y cuando lo tiene ya fuera y todo, intenta utilizarlo.
Presiona todas las teclas pero ninguna sirve.
Hasta que una sirve: la de llamar.
Y llama, entonces lo extraño sucede: una chica joven con voz conocida contesta. Hablan varias veces hasta que
Haylee Elizalde
In the book it comes back and forth a lot. The main character Devi gets a call on her phone from only one person ever since she dropped it in the fountain. The one phone call is from herself in the past when she was fourteen. She finds this to be a good learning experience so then she can tell her younger self all the wrong things that happened in the future to never happen in her past at all so then her younger self can have a better life...especially without her ex-boyfriend Bryan.
Emma
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would not go so far as to say this book was horrible, or even bad necessarily, but I can't say I enjoyed it. I picked this book up because, although it was 300 pages, it seemed like it would be quick to read, and I am attempting to read a book every day next week and needed something fast. I decided to just read it now instead of waiting until next week because I finished my other library books and needed something to read.

I remember thinking the premise was relatively interesting when it firs
Linelle Reyes
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski is AMAAAZIIING!

When I first read the synopsis, I immediately lit up because I have actually thought about talking to my former self to 'correct' my mistakes in the past.

This book was such a delight to read. It's a story about a high school senior Devorah (Dev for short) who accidentally dropped her phone and when she tried to revive it, for some freak of technology (I was about to say freak of nature but it doesn't seem appropriate,haha), she can call her high sc
Natalie (Natflix&Books)
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Sound of Thunder, the short story by Ray Bradbury, blew my mind when I first read it as a young girl. Granted, this was way before the Matrix movies and CGI and when the only thing we did on computers was play the Oregon Trail (who's with me?), but still, it opened my mind to the possibility of time travel and the ramifications that the most minuscule change in the past could have on the future. Now Sarah Mlynowski is no Ray Bradbury (not that she couldn't be--that just isn't the path she's ch ...more
Yelania Nightwalker
Todos queremos una segunda oportunidad para corregir nuestros errores... ¿Y si esa oportunidad estuviera a sólo una llamada de distancia?

Creo que muchos hemos sido testigos de la chica que se olvida de todo por estar con su novio. Se vuelve su mundo y en esa pequeña burbuja no hay sitio para nadie que no sean ellos mismos. No importa lo mucho o poco que le digas al respecto, simplemente te va a ignorar, hasta el día en que la burbuja se rompe y descubre que el mundo se ha olvida de ella también.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #100 - Gimme A Call 1 1 Jun 02, 2016 04:21PM
  • Vintage Veronica
  • The Sweetheart of Prosper County
  • The Mosts
  • The Karma Club
  • The Oracle of Dating (The Oracle of Dating, #1)
  • The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June
  • Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood
  • How to Hook a Hottie
  • Thief Eyes
  • Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)
  • My Invisible Boyfriend
  • Paisley Hanover Acts Out
  • The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball
  • Where the Truth Lies
  • The Rites  Wrongs of Janice Wills
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Business, and
More about Sarah Mlynowski

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Vengeance Road
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Just because a relationship ends, it doesn't mean it's not worth having.” 53 likes
“I wonder-maybe the key is balance. Maybe it's about living in the moment while still keeping your eye on the big picture-on all the pictures.” 16 likes