Start by marking “Vampires: The Recent Undead” as Want to Read:
Vampires: The Recent Undead

Vampires: The Recent Undead

(The Morganville Vampires: Extras #9 (Dead Man Stalking ))

The undead are more alive today than ever. Immortal? Indeed! Nothing has sunk its teeth into 21st century popular culture as pervasively as the vampire. The fangsters have the freedom to fly across all genres and all mediums - there's even apps for vamps. Whether roaming into romance, haunting horror, sneaking into science fiction, capering into humor, meandering through m ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Prime Books

Deborah
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a retrospective of vampire fiction published 2000-2010.
I liked the introduction. It was a good description of the evolution of vampire fiction.

I'll only rate the ones I particularly liked.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown * Holly Black - 3.5 stars
Dead Man Stalking * Rachel Caine
The Ghost of
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
The Coldest Girl in Coldtown~Holly Black 3 stars
This was interesting, and the world building is what I've come to expect out of Holly's work. Though I wasn't crazy about Matilda, and her rash decisions. I do wonder what ever happened to Dante?
9-14-2017
Twilight States by Albert Cowdrey 3.5 stars
Double Hexed (Stormwalker 2.5) by Allison James 2 stars
Paige
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I bought this because I saw that Kelley Armstrong, Rachel Caine, Carrie Vaughn, and Charlaine Harris contributed stories. Some of these stories were not new for the book. It was like a compilation of stories, already published, to fit a certain idea.

I started out reading from the beginning of the anthology (rather than just skipping to the authors I wanted to read).

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (2 stars)--not bad but I didn't care for it. Story of a teen trying to overcome odds.
Jeff
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Vampires: The Recent Undead is a book of short stories. Inside, I was introduced to a lot of authors that I had never read before (one of the reason I like collections like this). There were some very good stories in this anthology. Among my favorites were "The Coldest Girl in Coldtown," by Holly Black, "Sisters," by Charles de Lint, "Zen and the Art of Vampirism," by Kelly Armstrong, "The Ghost of Leadville," by Jeanne C. Stein, "No Matter Where You Go," by Tanyah Huff, "Conquistador de la Noch ...more
Pauline
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I'm hoping that people who enjoy short stories and anthologies of same don't use my review as any kind of bar for quality. I just must have a general antipathy for anthologies. The stories in this compilation all seemed rather long and pretty far fetched, even considering the genre. Two stars at the most in my opinion. I didn't like "Must Love Hell Hounds" and other short story conglomerations so it very well could be that I'm not a good judge of short stories. Read at your own risk, you've been ...more
Ron
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A collection of reprinted Vampire stories form the 1st decade of the 21st century. I borrowed it to read and in some cases reread stories by authors I follow such as Charles De Lint, Charlaine Harris, Tanya Huff. I enjoyed the Kim Newman detective story as well as the Doc Holliday story by Jeanne C. Stein. so if you enjoy vampire stories or just want to sample the variety available, dive in and enjoy.
Nora Peevy
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Paula Guran delivers a brilliant collection of vamp shorts that's sure to please everyone. The range of vampires from traditional to unconventional and unexpected really shows how fantasy authors have turned the definition of a vamp into something fresh, fun, and in some cases, pretty scary or badass. I enjoyed almost all the stories; one or two didn't keep my blood pumping, but the others definitely got my temperature rising. This is a collection to sink your teeth into!
Amy *Waitforit*
Some really excellent stories by some well known authors. However I found onw or two not to my liking and found that the stories by the bigger authors (i.e. Charlaine Harris and Tanya Huff) were continuations from their series' and may not be easy to follow if you hadn't read their more popular series. Other than that I enjoyed the majority of it and even discovered some new authors to add to my ever growing TBR list.
Kara-karina
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a good anthology, with quite a few unknown authors to me. Some stories were quite original and some quite scary. I especially liked an interesting take on vampires in the last one.
Generally I would recommend it to find out if you like an author or not, but I can't be very objective as I'm not a big fan of anthologies. :)
Mark Muckerman
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
OUTSTANDING! An excellent compiliation, and the story selection was diverse in type and tone. This collection offers up a wide array of viewpoints and perspective on the "vampire situation". Sometimes monster, sometimes hero, sometimes tragic figure, The Recent Undead is an excellent read, and each selected story is strong on its own.
Liz
Read for select stories by authors I read. Not read in full.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Zen and the Art of Vampirism - Zoe POV. Hans and Brigid show up wanting to take over Toronto after Katrina destroys New Orleans. Zoe changes their mind ;)
Courtney
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Only read the Charlaine Harris story.
Helen
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Disappointed that so many stories appeared elsewhere first. I prefer all original anthologies.
Karen
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Each of these was a different type of vampire, lots of good ideas from the authors.

Black - I'd already read something about Coldtown
Smith - Three guys lamenting growing older with no purpose
de Lint - Will sisters learn to live together after one turns later than the other
Konrath - Van Helsing is turned but takes revenge
Armstrong - Zoe is leaving her turf as another vampire claims it, or is she
Lee - Vampirism, or mental illness, who's to know
Caine - A Morganville short with Shane, his dad, and hi
Banshee
When I initially think of vampires the stories in this novel are not what comes to mind. I think suspense, blood, death, stalking and killing. Most of the following stories tried to portray vampires in a nicer light with making them more "human" by suffering from loneliness, sorrow and love. There are only a few stories that I would call "horror" with the majority being more of the fantasy genre. As such I enjoyed this novel and got to view vampires in a different light I doubt I would read it a ...more
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror and YA
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Dracula
Vamps for Halloween! I love the chick on the cover with blood dripping down her chin... my kind of book...! Some of my favorites in this book of great YA short stories were:
A Gentleman Of the Old School- I was so tickled to find out that a Count of some renown is currently living in wealthy comfort in a nearby ritzy neighborhood, I am guessing in a mansion in Shaughnessy, here in Vancouver... wheee!!! I wonder if I will ever meet him one day...
As well, I have been tickled to find the best of som
Disa Marnesdottr
Great compilation--only one story that left me flat. Second person doesn't work well in fiction. I'd also like to dock a quarter star for all the typos in the last two pieces. Why, after all this wonderfulness, did the editors give up? But it didn't really mar the experience, so I guess the five star rating can stand.
Joan Lloyd
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
As with any collection of short stories by various authors, it's a mixed bag. For me, it tended to go down hill but many of the stories are worth the read. Don't be shy about skipping past one that doesn't appeal.
Marilu
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good as a taster to guide you to which 'vampire' writer you may be interested in reading next!!!
Elise
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really didn’t enjoy this, after halfway I just ended up skipping through most the stories. I found them boring.
Pghbekka
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
felt like an uneven collection to me, though I quite liked many of the early stories in this anthology.
Kathy
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked some of the stories, but overall, it was meh.
Mark
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, horror
Cool collection of vampire short stories.
Kit
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Better than I expected. A very diverse & interesting collection of stories. 2.68 stars...

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black * * *
Not a bad story. This is the tale of a girl trying to resist vapirism. She sacrifices to save others, and uses the consequences as a lesson to others.

This Is Now by Michael Marshall Smith * *
Ech! This was a depressing story about has-beens & wasted life.

Sisters by Charles de Lint * * * *
An interesting story about sisters, and whether they will let vamp
Lady
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
(I originally wrote this review on amazon.co.uk - edited slightly for here)

Some good, some bad, some dire - I purchased the audio version. Some of the stories were quite good, particularly those by authors that have a good track record in paranormal/urban fantasy. Some were simply verging on boring. And some were awful - I particularly hate when American authors try to "do English/British voice". Really, if you haven't spent years in the country, associating with locals, listening to them &
Kathy
Vampires the Recent Undead edited by Paula Guran was an interesting mix of vampire stories that tried to present the different varieties of vampires and how things have evolved in the recent areas. There were some great contributions from authors which allowed for a good review of the book but at the same time, there were some authors that I never really could connect with.

This anthology had an ambitious goal. Show how the conception of vampires in the modern age is rather varied and possibly s
Sue
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
Fantastic collection of short stories. There were only a couple that I didn't connect with. Can't wait to look up some of the authors included.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown * Holly Black
Dark and unexpected. Everything a vampire story should be.

This Is Now * Michael Marshall Smith
Kinda slow. Still an interesting take on vampires.

Sisters * Charles de Lint
Disturbing: the lengths one will go for family.

The Screaming * J.A. Konrath
Very good. A creepy old house and an original character revived.

Zen
Mell
So-- the Super Summer 2013 Vampire Reading Spree is off to an okay start. I'm hoping to find one of those amazing books or short stories that makes you want to tell everybody how good it is.

As for The Recent Undead:
Like any story collection, this books has some gems, some okays, and some duds. Some of the stories look as though they were rushed into the manuscript- they have repeated and easily noticeable typos. An easy read-through as a proofread would have fixed these issues.

My favorite storie
Bill Blume
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall, I think this book delivers a very interesting and diverse take on the vampire myth. On the one hand, that's a good thing, because it keeps the book from getting repetitive. On the down side, it means not every story can be a pleaser for the reader. There were several stories that fell flat for me, but that I could see how my complaints had a lot to do with the type of story versus the quality of the writing. There were a few where the quality of the writing didn't always do well, though ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Short Story Connect: September Read 9 38 Sep 23, 2014 09:01PM

• Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • By Blood We Live
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • The Bitten Word
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites
  • Full Moon City
  • Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary
  • Eternal: More Love Stories with Bite
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. She is also senior editor of Prime's soon-to-launch digital imprint Masque Books. Guran edits the annual Year's Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced we ...more

The Morganville Vampires: Extras (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Myrnin's Tale (The Morganville Vampires)
  • Viper and the Farmer
  • Sam's Story (The Morganville Vampires)
  • Grudge (The Morganville Vampires, #2.6)
  • Eve's Diary (Morganville, #1.5)
  • The First Day of the Rest of Your Life (The Morganville Vampires, #0.5)
  • Amelie's story (The Morganville Vampires)
  • Wrong Place, Wrong Time (The Morganville Vampires 10.1)
  • Dead Man Stalking (The Morganville Vampires, #4.5)
  • Lunch Date (The Morganville Vampires)
“Success always moves on to the next thing,” Milton agreed, as Bloch trailed him up the circular stair. “But failure’s timeless, isn’t it? Failure is forever.” 2 likes
“Everybody’s intrigued by someone comfortable in their own skin because most of us aren’t.” 2 likes