Start by marking “Memnoch il diavolo. Le cronache dei vampiri” as Want to Read:
Memnoch il diavolo. Le cronache dei vampiri

Memnoch il diavolo. Le cronache dei vampiri

(The Vampire Chronicles #5)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  72,001 ratings  ·  1,551 reviews
New York è stretta nella morsa di un inverno rigidissimo, ma i vampiri non patiscono il freddo e Lestat de Lioncourt, incontrastato principe delle tenebre, attende nella notte, pregustando il sangue della sua prossima vittima. Una facile preda, come molte altre, la cui inevitabile fine, però, porterà Lestat molto lontano, sino ad affrontare le sue paure più oscure e inconf ...more
Published 2004 by TEADUE (first published July 3rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Memnoch il diavolo. Le cronache dei vampiri, please sign up.
Odile Otaño Marte I think so. Lestat provides a brief background of the characters as they appear in case the reader didn't read the previous books. The book itself is…moreI think so. Lestat provides a brief background of the characters as they appear in case the reader didn't read the previous books. The book itself is boring AF anyways, so being a bit confused on top of that won't have any remarkable effect. (less)
Bookreader1972 You can, but I don't recommend it. Some big things happen in Body Thief.
It is very good.

·  72,001 ratings  ·  1,551 reviews

Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: para-vampires
Memnoch the Devil was nothing like what I was expecting as the next installment of The Vampire Chronicles. Absolutely drenched in theological argument, Memonch the Devil is not for anyone who dislikes religion in their fiction.

Only two things happened in this entire book. Lestat stalked a victim for the first third of the book. He then spent the last two thirds of the book talking to the devil (and occasionally God). It was written as what appeared to be an extremely long-winded interview (think
Misty
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys fantasy and is not a die-hard Christian.
This is one of Anne Rice's best works in my opinion. It is part of the vampire series, but you should be able to understand & enjoy the book without reading the others.
The vampire, Lestat, is taken to heaven, hell, and back in time to creation and during the Christ era by Memnoch, the devil. The story told is one very different than the Bible, but it's good. I love Anne Rice's books because she tells the story in a way that it could be true. Anyways, it's a good book, but if you get upset by
Allison
At the time that I read this book I was an agnostic, pagan, ex-catholic, confused about religion person. Anne Rice's technique and passion is so persuasive that I was a true believer after reading this book. And this was before she converted back to Catholicism! She is just so powerful, her narrative technique is, I want to say, loving towards her reader. I think her love for the characters she's created makes that happen. Anyway, this one is a must for followers of the chronicles and fans of Le ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Memnoch the Devil takes Lestat on an extremely long tour of the past, creation, angels, evolution, the passion of Christ and more – because he has a job proposition for the Brat Prince

Memnoch the Devil, also known as “the Bible according to Anne Rice” or “Anne Rice’s theological musings”. Perhaps even “Memnoch lectures you endlessly while Lestat practices his melodrama”.

What it isn’t, is much of a story or a plot. For a story or a plot to happen, well, things have to happen. Things do not happen
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
MEMNOCH THE DEVIL is a brilliant reinvention of good and evil. I still think about this book 16 years after I read it. One of my all time favorites. Rice was at the top of her game here.
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the last Anne Rice book that I ever personally plan to read, because after reading this I went into a three month fit of depression.

The events in this book were just so powerful and terrible in some cases that my mind couldn't take it. While I'm not going to say that I wouldn't recommend the book to people, I would at least put up the warning that a person may want to be weary about it if they aren't of any particular religion.

Also, by the end of the book, Lestat had changed in many wa
Gregory Spiker
In Memnoch the Devil, Anne Rice has allowed herself to indulge in an orgy of purple prose. We hear so much about the lush greenery of the early Earth that we begin to forget what the story is about. And because of this, not much actually happens in the story. If this book were made into a film, in fact, it would probably be no more than 20 minutes long.

Aside from that, this isn't much of a "vampire chronicle." The purpose of this book seems not to be to tell a tale of the vampires, but only to f
Stephen
5.0 stars. Except for The Queen of the Damned, this may be my favorite installment of the Vampire Chronicles. I loved the descriptions of both heaven and hell and the arguments between Lestat and Memnoch regarding the nature of good and evil. Highly Recommended!!!
N.
Jun 23, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finishing this book was a chore. A sad realization considering how much I loved Anne Rice's previous books, but boy am I happy to be done with this one.

My reading experience can be summarized the following way: Yay! Lestat!, ok I'm bored, holy mother of vodka this is dull, should I drink? maybe if I had a drink this would be easier, oh well- heaven sounds interesting, yup still bored, ARE YOU KDDING ME?, boooooooooreeeeeeeeeeed, OMFG EW and IS IT OVER YET?

There is virtually no narration. Instead
Joe
Jan 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Phfft. Flarp. Argghh. This book was so stupid. I was really looking forward to reading the entire Vampire series especially after I really enjoyed "Tale of the Body Thief" but this one is just terrible. 3/4 of the book is a monologue by Memnoch which is so boring and parochial; he just keeps repeating himself. It's like Anne Rice forgot how to write. Lestat does almost nothing the whole book. Notable hilarious exception involves a woman's menstrual blood (which is mentioned about 6 times through ...more
Jess The Bookworm
This is the 5th book in the Vampire Chronicles series, picking up after the events of the Tale of the Body Thief.

Lestat once again feels that he's being followed, except this time, it is not by a human being, but by the Devil himself. The Devil, who prefers to go by the name of Memnoch (and not Satan or Lucifer), approaches Lestat because he wants him to be his assistant. Memnoch takes Lestat through the story of Creation, takes him into Heaven and Hell, and explains his disagreements with God.
Carlos Lavín
It would be a bit pointless to be reading Rice's books without having a notion of her journey through being catholic->agnostic->catholic->bitching about catholic church. Since last book of the series, The Tale of the Body Thief, Rice seems to be trying to write down and refine her thoughts on the way she perceives the catholics' religion, God, the Devil, and the moral obligations underlined by them. In the previous book this is somehow a secondary topic (barely touching the idea of the ...more
John Devlin
Dec 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I deeply admired "Interview' w/its rich writing style of place and period, and its dispassionate portrayal of characters like Claudia, who after being a 6 year old vampire for decades has become a steely-eyed predator(ahem instead of a 100 year old vampire vegan w/an insatiable desire to...sit through high school english again and again). The Vampire Lestat was equally good w/a wonderful shift in perspective that gave a great new spin to the character an events that transpired. The books that fo ...more
RB
Seriously. Anne Rice was a Born Again Christian when she wrote this book. It shows. Too bad. Lestat as a wannabee saint? Please.
Cody | codysbookshelf
When Anne Rice fans are asked which of her books they feel most passionate about — whether positively or negatively — the answer is almost invariable: Memnoch the Devil. Acting as a bit of a precursor to Rice’s Christian fiction novels of the mid-00s, this book is tonally out of step with the previous Vampire Chronicles (save for, perhaps, Interview With the Vampire, as this too has the ‘feel’ of an interview in spots) And seems to be cause for great joy, and disgust, in many readers.

Lestat wan
Stepheny
Here we are on book number 5 for the Vampire Chronicles. The narrator has to this point remained the same and has done an immaculate job bringing all of these characters to life.

Lestat is once again sensing a presence around him. But this isn’t just any presence…. This is an evil presence. Could it in fact be the devil himself?

What you must understand about Lesat is that through this entire series he seems to be warring with himself. He just cannot come to terms with what he is. He doesn’t kno
Jamie Welch
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Lestat has come a long way from whence we first met him. He has known mortal pain and chose his vampiric fate over a chance at salvation. Lestat sought to find the answers to his unanswerable questions; where is God? Am I damned? Now, Lestat will find the answers to these questions.
We meet Memnoch, the devil. In this book Lestat will tell us all the secrets of heaven and hell.. Mortals and the undead alike have gotten this story all wrong..and Memnoch is here to set the story straight.
Yes, the
Wendy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I "L O V E D" this book. Very intriguing with its ideas and topics, highly unusual and controversial to say the least. In short, an awesome story of the vampire chronicles that just continues to mesmerize its readers. Same series, totally different direction. A. Rice is a talented author. Hard to put this down.
Kathrin
When I started out reading this series, a friend warned me that some books would be heavily impacted by Christian notions. Now, this is not a bad thing per se but I tend to struggle with books that focus too much on religious aspects. I thought the worst was behind me when I finished book 3. Book 4 (The Tale of the Body Thief) was amazing and I had great hopes for book 5.
A book that features 'devil' in its title might easily be about religion but I wasn't prepared for the amount of theological d
Arun Divakar
When a writer pens down a plot based on the evergreen bestselling book, people are bound to sit up and take notice. This I suppose was Anne Rice's idea behind Memnoch the Devil. I haven't read even one of the Vampire Chronicles and the only other Anne Rice book I read to date was a load of crap named 'Violin'. Memnoch surprised me with its vast scope but starting off with an intriguing plot thread, it soon degenerated to a very flat and predictable ending.

Consider this, the devil taking along a
Kristen Burns
2 Stars

Review:
This wasn't my favorite in the series, so I'll keep this brief.

Things I Liked:

- I admittedly do not know much about the details of the history and mythology of Christianity, so I don't know how much this book actually aligns with that, but Anne Rice's take on things here with Heaven, Hell, Creationism, evolution, angels, and Satan was interesting in its own way. And I liked how this book combined Christianity and evolution.

- This quote. Seriously, it just cracks me up.

"Armand envie
Jason Schneeberger

Just when I thought that this series couldn’t get any deeper, MEMNOCH THE DEVIL became the next book to read in this incredibly deep, rich and complex vampire mythology. I had previously heard from some reviewers that the previous book in this series, THE TALE OF THE BODY THEIF, is where the series begins to take a turn for the worse and that this book is where it all bottomed out and became virtually unreadable and to those reviewers I ask: ‘Did we read the same books??’

If those reviewers were
Tami
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's open to different ideology.
Recommended to Tami by: It was a gift.
Shelves: own
This book was genius and turned concepts based on traditional ideology, upside down. It wasn't about good and evil (which is boring, in comparison), but suggests A truth which is that we can never know THE real truth about supernatural things, including God. It shows how eager we are to believe in something, even Lestat, a vampire and the main character (and also THE Lestat), needed to believe. Anne Rice said of this book "I was also tormented by a multitude of theological and sociological quest ...more
Latasha
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
still 4 stars. noooooo, don't go! I'm not ready for my revisit to be over
Lisa
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Jade Brelsford
Amanda
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those who know me, know that I am not a religious fanatic by any means. Would it be ridiculous to adopt my beliefs in theology from this Anne Rice novel?? This book delves deep into the idea of creationism as well as the eternal struggle between God & the devil since the beginning of time. All of the ideas revealed here were very intriguing and totally believable, despite their grandeur. Perhaps that is why I was so engrossed by the story.

I was especially drawn in by the introduction of the
Rachel Joy
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do I go about describing this book? It reminded me of when I read A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam some years ago, or maybe I should say I tried to read it because I'm not sure how much of it I truly understood.

In this installment of the Vampire Chronicles, Rice takes on one of the biggest controversies in theology today, why is there suffering in our world? Why does G-d allow evil to exist in His world, His creation? Lestat attempts to find out thro
Michelle Miller (True Book Addict)
First read in 2008.

Re-read on audio, April 2017.
Dorian de Jandreau
In fact, it bored me when I read it. I barely could understand what it was written and often needed a dictionary. But I could better understand Christianity, I understood how marvelously Anne Rice found such an inspiration in religion to write this book. I always get fascinated by authors who show well known things in the other light.

Of course it was a very philosophical book, hard to read, but I think it was worth reading. And of course erotic scenes...which I liked very much in the book.

This
Steven Denton
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
I just finished a review of The Witching Hour and was reminded of my intense love for Memnoch the Devil. I never got around to writing anything about this book, so here we go.

Memnoch the Devil was the first of Anne Rice's books that I had read, following her autobiography which I read for a class, and I was blown away. It was so different from what I expected from the author of "those vampire books," and perhaps that is the reason for many of the negative reviews here on Goodreads. Having gone
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Memnoch the Devil [Jun 15, 2019] 14 24 Jun 23, 2019 04:46AM
continuity problem in this book? 7 53 Feb 01, 2017 03:19PM
Goodreads Choice ...: Memnoch the Devil (The Vampire Chronicles #5) - May 2015 10 19 May 22, 2015 09:30AM
Did you like this ending ? 23 194 Jun 04, 2014 01:51AM
Read or not to read 17 97 Mar 25, 2013 04:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Format 2 33 Feb 05, 2012 05:41PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Exit to Eden
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Beauty's Release (Sleeping Beauty, #3)
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • Necroscope: The Lost Years Volume I (Necroscope, #9)
  • I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire (Ravenloft, #7)
  • The Ultimate Dracula
  • The Snow Garden
  • Vampires: Encounters With the Undead
  • The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead
  • Of Masques and Martyrs (Shadow Saga #3)
  • Mina
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • Fat White Vampire Blues (Fat White Vampire, #1)
  • The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2)
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more

The Vampire Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)
  • The Vampire Armand (The Vampire Chronicles, #6)
  • Merrick (The Vampire Chronicles #7)
  • Blood And Gold (The Vampire Chronicles, #8)
  • Blackwood Farm
  • Blood Canticle (The Vampire Chronicles, #10)
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #11)
“Believe in angels? Then believe in vampires. Believe in me. There are worse things on earth.” 171 likes
“Sometimes fear is a warning. It's like someone putting a hand on your shoulder and saying Go No Farther.” 54 likes