Start by marking “AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First” as Want to Read:
AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First

AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First

(AlphaOops!)

It's backwards! It's inside out! It's every letter for itself! This laugh-out-loud romp is not your average alphabet book!

Z is tired of always having to be last when the alphabet family lines up. He is demanding fair and equal treatment! The letters (more or less) agree to go backwards, but it's not long before P has some ideas of his own. And so does H, for that matter.
Published July 25th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about AlphaOops!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AlphaOops!

Start your review of AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First
Mhedish17
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This early concept informational book is perfect for the younger grades who are still trying to learn the sounds each letter makes. The characters in the story are the letters of the alphabet and the plot revolves around when Z decides he is tired of always having to be last and deserves equal treatment. The illustrations and humorous play on words make this book interesting for the younger age group and I think because the author wrote it this way it would be easy to refer back to it when ...more
Sara *~The Loquacious Lassie~*
This is my 3 year old's favorite book of all time. He requests that I read it both at nap and bedtime every single day (no joke people- I can now read it without looking). An adorable story about the day Z stands up for himself and insists that he deserves a turn to go first! The artwork is wonderful and the story is incredibly unique and creative. I would highly recommend this book for any child 3 and up.
Samantha Howard
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is about the alphabet, but all the letters are out of order. Each letter is personified and has a personality. The book starts out with the letter A (with eyes, mouth, arms and legs) saying “A is for app—,” but the letter A is cut off by the letter Z. The letter Z is upset because it always gets stuck at the end, so it jumps in and decides to start the alphabet from Z. Then, P gets upset about still being stuck in the middle, so then the letters decide to go in a completely random ...more
Rita
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abc-s
This is a fun book to use to assess the students alphabet skills. In this book the letter Z goes first and then Y. All the letters are all mixed up. The students will have fun trying to figure out which letter comes next.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A fun twist/variation of an alphabet book. The letters each have their own quirks and there are opportunities to discuss sharing, feelings, taking turns, etc. Bright illustrations, humorous dialogue, and side stories make this a great book!
Heather
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Best Alphabet book ever! Favorite line is by the letter G, "Oh... V is for violence." Also, the kids as for it repeatedly.
amypete
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The entire family was sorry to see this one go back to the library. Kara could quote the entire thing, which was quite entertaining.
Alyssa Clark
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet-books
1. This book has not won any awards.
2. I think this is a good book for preschoolers and kindergartners.
3. This book is about the day Z wanted to go first in the alphabet. In AlphaOops! The Day Z Went First, all of the letters in the alphabet have a new place, except for H because she "happens to like where [she] always is." The book relates each letter to one or more words and pictures throughout the chaos.
4. I like that this book put a humorous spin on the average alphabet book. I found myself
Mama Bibliosoph
Z is tired of always going last when the alphabet letters line up and put on a show. So instead, Z insists on going first and all the letters start to show up backwards. But soon, P shows up out of (reverse) order and it becomes a chaotic free-for-all.

What I like most about this is the chaos. This is another book that plays with the rigidity of the alphabet's order and it does so in a playful, humorous way. Still, a child who really wants to track what's going on can follow along the bottom of
Helen Zhang
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alphabet
Grade Levels = Pre-K, 1-2

Summary:
The ends of the alphabet were starting to get annoyed that they were always last, so they decided it was only fair if they went first this time. Some of the letters are always going to be in the middle, while others were always going to be at the end. So some of the letters decide to switch places and go randomly.

Review:
Humorous book to read to children as the letters get confused about their order. The illustrations did a great job incorporating all the
Jessica
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet
1. This book has received no awards to date.
2. This book is appropriate for preschool-1st grade.
3. The book begins with the character A about to say “A is for Apple.” However, he is interrupted by Z who claims him and Zebra are tired of being last, convincing A they should get to go first this time. Overhearing this, all the letters decide that they want to come earlier in the alphabet, which leads to chaos. By the end, Z feels that is better off if they stay in order so they do not get confused
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

I love this fun twist on an alphabet book. In this one, the letters go whenever they feel like it instead of alphabetical order. Beautiful chaos ensues, full of subtle messages about trying new things and doing things in a different way (as well as asking nicely for what you want).

Fun illustrations and dialogue. This is a wonderful book. At the bottom of every page, each letter is superimposed onto the letter space that it took, allowing kids to
Katie Ritoch
AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First is a cute story of how Z didn't feel like being at the end of the alphabet so all the letters go in a different order. The letters end up getting mixed up and then jealous when other letters try to pick more than one thing to go with their letter. In the end, A tells Z to just ask next time. This book is perfect for K-2 as it shows the alphabet and teaches kids about the order of the alphabet. This book also has phenomenal pictures and would be great for teaching ...more
Samantha Beaujour
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. None.
2. Pre k- Kindergarten.
3. All the letters have an opinion about how the alphabet should start, especially Z. Z is tired of always being last and wants to be first for a change. All the other letters agree, but it is still chaos.
4. This is a imaginative alphabet book. It is filled with bright and colorful illustrations. It provides the perfect amount of humor for children.
5. Students can try saying the alphabet backwards. Student can sing alphabet by starting with the first letter that
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This awesome picture book is about the letters of the alphabet putting on a talent show. Z is upset that he always has to come last in line, and so decides to cut to the front. After that, all the letters fall out of order and wonderful chaos ensues. This is a fun tool to use for letter recognition. It also gives multiple examples of words that go with each letter.

I had a kindergarten student with autism and this book was his favorite thing in the world. He loved explaining which letters were
Alicia
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Ages: 3-6

Summary: A humorous story that brings the alphabet letters to life with some of them wanting a new place in the alphabet. The story explains some of the reasoning for their place and makes sure to put the letters back in order.

Review: A very comical story that is cute and exciting but can be rather confusing and hard to follow.

Classroom Use: Could be used in a preschool or Kindergarten classroom to asses that the children understand how the alphabet works.
Jo Oehrlein
Z is tired of going last, so he demands to be first.
It starts out fine, but then other letters want to not be in their normal middle spot either. Things are all re-arranged.

The letters argue about how many turns they get and how many things they can say.
Z gets bossy.
After a hunt to make sure they didn't skip anyone, A gives a triumphant finale.
Lacey
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would not read this book to younger elementary grades, 3rd is youngest I would go, as it is not just the alphabet going backwards, but the alphabet in all sorts of mixed up craziness. Having said that, this was a cute book with cute illustrations.
Hayley Murray-Alvarado
Concept Book 2006
I love how this book twists the idea of the ABC’s and makes it humorous. I would use this in my classroom for a younger grade to show why the alphabet is in order, but for older grades, it could just be a fun read!
kim
cute, better for preschool and up
Rosalind Andrews
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the colors and the fun party at the end.
Carolyn Stover
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
These letters have personality!!! The bold colorful illustrations go perfectly with the text.
Tracy Gold
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really cute twist on the typical alphabet book!
Lynne Marie
Great for little ones to test recognition of letters as opposed to rote, as it mixes it up. Clever.
Adriana
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unconventional alphabet story
excellent teaching moment with letter 'V'
loved it
Kirsti Call
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adore this book! It’s clever, funny and the best way to explore letters!
Mary
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A favorite of our kids when they were little.
Alyssa Tabor
Has some really funny moments, but is a little long for storytime and might confuse some of the littles who are still learning. Would be really fun for some of the older kiddos.
Carly
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-kinder
Fun story about a mixed up alphabet. Great book for preschool/kindergarten.
Tabatha Krieger
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining take on your typical alphabet book. The illustrations are really make the book. There are lots of little funny moments if you study the details. My 1 year old L-O-V-E-S this book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• P is for Pterodactyl: The Worst Alphabet Book Ever
  • I'm a Frog! (Elephant and Piggie, #20)
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • Please, Mr. Panda
  • Goodnight, Mr. Panda
  • ABCs of Science
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Bigger Than You
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • Olive, the Other Reindeer
  • Zero
  • Groovy Joe: Ice Cream & Dinosaurs
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Secrets of the Apple Tree
  • Why Am I Me?
  • Edmund Unravels
  • Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie, #12)
  • Be Kind
"A veritable badass fairy princess." --Jim Butcher

"The faerie princess of the worlds of weird." --Jonathan Maberry

"Alethea Kontis IS fairy tales." --Jim C. Hines, author of Libriomancer

"Alethea Kontis: Awesome, racks up award nominations, wears tiaras." --SF author Ferrett Steinmetz

"I want to live in [Alethea's] head because I think that might be the most interesting place in the world!!!!"

AlphaOops! (2 books)