Start by marking “Sunshine Rider: The First Vegetarian Western” as Want to Read:
Sunshine Rider: The First Vegetarian Western

Sunshine Rider: The First Vegetarian Western

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The year: 1881. The place: Odessa, Texas. Seventeen-year-old Wylie Jackson lands a job as assistant cook on what will be his first cattle drive. Before he departs, Wylie's friend Alice charges him with taking her pet cattalo, Roselle, to her aunt in Enid, Oklahoma. Alice's father bred a longhorn cow with a buffalo and Roselle was the result: a gangly, gawky animal trained ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published July 13th 1999 by Laurel Leaf (first published February 9th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sunshine Rider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunshine Rider

Michael
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
The beginning of my Boston Globe review:

It's tough to imagine a cookbook that brings together such dishes as masoor dal, buffalo gourd mash, and scrambled eggs and brains. But Ric Lynden Hardman has done it in "Sunshine Rider" by making the recipes just one ingredient in his novel, which is also a happily-ever-after saga from the Old West, a satire on modern times, a treatise on vegetarianism, and a coming-of-age yarn.

ex.libris
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Though a Young Adult book, I was drawn into reading "The First Vegetarian Western" because the book featured recipes, and I am a sucker for a novel that features recipes.

I couldn't finish, however, because the story made little sense from a logical standpoint, I really didn't care all that much about the characters, and the whole attempt seemed confused. I read about two thirds before giving up.
TheSaint
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
"Catch a well-fleshed steer, about eight-hundred-pound weight." Thus begins the recipe for Porterhouse Steaks, in Sunshine Rider: The First Vegetarian Western.
Wylie Jackson doesn't start out being a vegetarian, but his job as cook's helper on a cattle drive drives him to it. Wylie's adventures on the cattle trail are very entertaining.
Nancy
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this a lot. It was funny and silly. Each chapter starts with a recipe (some are very interesting) as the hero starts out as an assistant cook on a cattle drive. Not for younger children. Nothing offensive but they talk about killing animals and certain animal parts.
Zina
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it because someone said it made them laugh! And, yes, it did.
Gloria
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Farcical and fun!
Abby
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun summer read! I want to try some of the recipes, too. (Not the brains!)
Shaundell
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Crazy, funny book! :) With the subtitle being "The First Vegetarian Western" - that says it all. Loved the fact that recipes were included and that Virginia made it for our yearly Christmas party!
May 01, 2009 is currently reading it
This is a silly book that my daughter took out of the give-away pile at school. The tag line is "the first vegetarian western." That says it all!
Lydia Butler