Start by marking “Batman: The Killing Joke” as Want to Read:
Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: The Killing Joke (Batman)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  108,961 Ratings  ·  3,152 Reviews
For the first time the Joker's origin is revealed in this tale of insanity and human perseverance. Looking to prove that any man can be pushed past his breaking point and go mad, the Joker attempts to drive Commissioner Gordon insane.

After shooting and permanently paralyzing his daughter Barbara (a.k.a. Batgirl), the Joker kidnaps the commissioner and attacks his mind in
Published December 1st 1995 by DC Comics (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Yousef Wally 15 and up it had some those scary looks of Joker in the comic which is kinda creepy for a young child if you are planning to give it to one
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
7th out of 2,263 books — 5,368 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
1st out of 374 books — 698 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Mar 15, 2008 Erin rated it did not like it
Recommended to Erin by: Zak
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 23, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الجوكر تقريبا من اكتر الأشرار اللي فاقت شعبيتهم شخصية البطل "السوبرهيرو" نفسه
ولو مش عارف ايه الكاريزما اللي وصلته لكدة...لازم تشوف الحكاية القصيرة العبقرية دي

العمل الفني ده، كوميكس مستقل -لا يتبع أعداد سلسلة- بيعرض وجهة نظر شخصيتين متناقضتين
اتنين الحياة المليئة بالشرور واليأس والظلم جعلتهما يجنّوا تماما

"صورة نادرة لباتمان يبتسم :)"
"كل ما يتطلبه الأمر هو يوم واحد سئ، ليخسف أعقل إنسان علي وجهة الأرض إلى الجنون. هذه هي الحياة بالنسبة لي، يوم واحد سئ"

أحدهما صار مقنعا غامضا، ذئبا وحيدا، أو كما قيل با
Bookworm Sean
Mar 12, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it it was amazing

Now this was good, and I mean good. It’s such a simple idea, but so real and powerful. I mean one bad day is all it takes. One push, one snap, one descent into chaos and it’s over. Once you’ve crossed that threshold then things will never be the same again. And the Joker, being the sly and brilliant villain that he is, wants to share the experience with the world.
Alejandro
Jul 26, 2016 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
A truly masterpiece of the comic books!

This is a prestige format stand-alone story.

Creative Team:

Writer: Alan Moore

Illustrator: Brian Bolland

Colorist: John Higgins

HAVE COURAGE

Nothing’s going to be the same… …not ever again.

A writer should have balls, and I don’t mean the organic meat sacs, since a female writer is the same entitled to have balls. But if you aren’t confortable with the “male metaphor”, I am confident that you already got that I am talking about writing with courage.

A writer
Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
"If I have to have a past, then I prefer it to be multiple choice."

photo 2082479-batman-vs-the-joker_zpsbfisvf8z.jpg

Brilliant, absolutely loved it! This is arguably the best Batman graphic novel ever written.

What can I say about Joker? He is my favorite villain of all time. He's the greatest, hands down.

photo animation-batman-heath-ledger-joker-Favim.com-1164204_zpsxmjovjpk.gif

photo giphy_zpshgielhnf.gif

photo www_zpsmeewixbi.jpg

I don't like Batman, I love him. He's the world's greatest detective. He's the world's premier martial artist. He's the world's broodiest billionaire. Batman wins. Hands down. Every time. Why? Because he's Batman. He's ruthless, he's intell
Ronyell
Jul 10, 2012 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of The Joker!!!
5.5 stars!!!

OH…MY…GOD…

description

I thought I knew everything there was to know about the Joker, one of Batman’s greatest foes. But after reading “Batman: The Killing Joke” and how the Joker was portrayed in this book, the Joker has officially become one of the most VILE, TWISTED, DARK and most DISTURBING villain I have ever come face to face with…AND I LOVED IT! Being brilliantly written by Alan Moore and being masterfully illustrated by Brian Bolland, “Batman: The Killing Joke” has remained to be one of
Jeff
Jan 06, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Should some origin stories be better left untold?

Comic publishers will embellish the backstory of character more than necessary or drag it out and milk it, or they’ll retcon the character one too many times until the reader doesn’t know which way is up. If there’s a month, a week, a day, a couple of minutes left undocumented in a character’s background, it’ll be fodder for a future story.

Does the Joker need an origin story?

Some basic facts are presented here: He was once “normal”. He became a
Melissa Martin
Mar 05, 2016 Melissa Martin rated it it was amazing
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

OMG! THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME! THE STORY LINE! THE GRAPHICS ARE FREAKING AMAZING!

I'm sure everyone and their cousin has already read this book, but I haven't so here we go. This is about how the joker turned nutsy cuckoo! He had a good job but left it thinking he could be a stand up comedian and support his wife and unborn baby. Well.... that didn't happen, he apparently wasn't funny --->who knew?

Then he goes and tries to get some crime job with some idiots
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2.5 stars rounded up.
This book was much better than "The Watchmen" to me. I may just not be a fan of Alan Moore's writing.
I mean it has this guy!

and I still didn't fan-girl over it.

It was an okay book for me though. You get the origins of the Joker..who I think is one of the best villains ever.

It's a dark one though for those of you who don't like dark. Barbara Gordan (aka-Batgirl) gets shot by the joker and he doesn't stop there. He pulls out full assholeness for this one.

The artwork is frigg
Scarlet Cameo
Jul 07, 2016 Scarlet Cameo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rc-15
English review at the bottom

¿Que puedo decir de esta historia que no se haya dicho ya? ¿Qué es un obra maestra? Lo es, el dialogo es increíble, la deconstrucción del Joker también, pocas historias nos han mostrado tantas capas de este personaje ¿Porqué? Fácil, tenemos su parte más vulnerable, una que pocas veces se había explotado, también tenemos al clásico Joker,al que, como diría Alfred, "Quiere ver arder al mundo"...pero hay otra capa, la que poco se atreven a mostrar y es ¿Porque Batman? (y
Mario
Apr 06, 2016 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness. Madness is the emergency exit.

Since the animated movie is coming out soon, I decided to finally read this graphic novel. And I'm so glad I did. Joker has always been my favorite batman villain and it was nice to finally get some backstory on his character. And despite the great plot, my favorite thing about this graphic nove
Will M.
Jul 23, 2016 Will M. rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While Joker is one of my favorite villains of all time, this graphic novel didn't amaze me. It isn't the perfect backstory that I was expecting. I read this because the animated movie is about to be released soon and I wanted to read the graphic novel first. I'm hoping that the animated movie would be a lot better than this. It might just be coincidental though and my mood could've affected my enjoyment. I might be doing a reread of this in the near future and hopefully it would have a different ...more
Frankie
Jan 10, 2016 Frankie rated it it was amazing
I know nothing about Batman (apart from seeing the Christian Bale films)
I know nothing about Marvell or comic books or superheros in general but i loved this comic!

My first ever graphic read.
Lenette
May 10, 2016 Lenette rated it did not like it
Stephen
Jun 21, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. With all due respect to the iconic Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, this, in my opinion, is the BEST Batman graphic novel ever written. This was the best portrayal of the brutality of the Joker I have ever seen and also the best depiction of the complicated (and you could say twisted) relationship between Batman and the Joker. Truly an epic piece of fiction. Highest Possible Recommendation!!!
Dan Schwent
Jan 12, 2011 Dan Schwent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, cool-covers
I'm probably risking a lynching from the fanboy mob but I liked this a whole lot more than the other well-regarded bat-book, The Dark Knight Returns. It nicely illustrates the Batman/Joker dynamic as well as highlights their similarities. Joker seemed like a psychopath rather than the buffoon he was normally portrayed as at the time. Shooting *spoiler* in the spine and taking pictures in order to try to break *spoiler*. Awesome. My favorite part was the Joker and Batman sharing a laugh while wai ...more
Andrew
Aug 10, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I'm piling suggestions about Batman's books (for friends here and outside), so I can recover the years I lost.
In this story, there we have a classical clash between Batman and his greatness nemesis: Joker.

Joker is escaped from jail to prove a simple concept: every man, even the most common, can live a day that will change his life, pushing him to the borderers of madness. Every good man can lost his mind. For reach this goal, he use commissioner Gordon and his daughter to send a message to Batma
Jeannette Nikolova
Jun 16, 2016 Jeannette Nikolova rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

I will go in two directions with this review:

I. The Killing Joke on its own.
II. The Killing Jokeas a Batman book.

I.

For me, the most spectacular thing about The Killing Joke was the art. It's mesmerizing and beautiful, despite how long a time has passed since the book was created. The illustrations greatly support the entire story, they are spooky, disturbing and masterful. I especially liked the close ups of the Joker, which, for some reason, made him m
Sam Quixote
Apr 19, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
Batman goes to Arkham Asylum on a fool's errand - to try and talk sense to the Clown Prince of Crime, the Joker. But Joker's not there! He's escaped and plans on destroying the Gordon family. Will the Dark Knight save them? Or will Joker have the last laugh...

First off, this is an acknowledged classic and I utterly loved it when I read it several years ago. Re-reading it now, I can say this book most definitely holds up, this is a classic Batman book for a reason. What I forgot was how slim a bo
Sonja - Intellectual Badass
"So why can't you see the funny side? Why aren't you laughing?"
Christopher Nolan's Joker is my favourite villain of all time; so naturally I had to read this!
The artwork is amazing! Once in a while I just paused to admire the beauty of it.
LOOK AT THIS. LOOK AT IT.
It's perfect.

I really enjoyed reading this! I was saddened when I saw how thin the graphic novel was; I knew that I was going to want more. And after reading this I do want more!! It all ended too soon. . .

Oh well. Off I go to watch
Brad
When I read this back in 1988, while everyone was still wetting themselves over Frank Miller's Dark Knight concept from 1986, I was wetting myself over Alan Moore's one-shot bit of Joker genius, Batman The Killing Joke.

I read it numerous times during the nineties, then put it away (my reading copy nestled next to my mint, Mylar-bagged, first edition) and kept hold of my memories.

For me Killing Joke was much more interesting than Dark Knight because Batman was interested in understanding his ene
Tosh
Mar 29, 2008 Tosh rated it really liked it
Through out my life I have been a borderline Joker obsessive. Even when I was a little tot I had a thing for the Joker. And what got me excited about the first Tim Burton 'Batman' was actually the Joker. No Joker, not so much into Batman.

So yes I do spend some time on YouTube locating images of the new 'Heath' Joker (which looks great) and it is really a great American invention. I think the image of the Joker will go on and on - maybe beyond Batman himself.

Nevertheless I was attracted to this
Rachel the Book Harlot
Jul 27, 2015 Rachel the Book Harlot rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I purchased Batman: The Killing Joke on kind of a whim. I had been perusing graphic novels on Amazon thanks to a friend on Booklikes (*waves to Grim*) who inspired me with her Deadpool posts. I guess Amazon's recommendation system picked up on my newfound interest in graphic novels, so this lovely gem appeared in my email as a rec. The cover screamed, "buy me! buy me!", and the story synopsis sounded intriguing so I thought, why not?

"There were these two guys in a lunatic asylum..."

Batman:
Chris
Jun 08, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I wasn't going to do this one as an official entry - it's so quick to read that it feels like I'm padding the list. But the more I thought about it, the more I felt I wanted to talk about it, and so it goes on the List.

This was originally published twenty years ago, and is still one of the most popular and well-regarded Batman stories ever. Between them, Moore and Bolland - a master writer and a master artist - gave Batman and his prime antagonist new lives and new meaning.

It starts off in an un
Dec 22, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Batman voice* "WHERE IS HE?"

I can see why this is so popular. The story is great and the illustrations are phenomenal. I love the Joker, he's my favourite batman villain (and possibly my all-time favourite comic/superhero villain too). He is just completely insane and I love it.

I love getting back stories so I loved getting to see an adaptation of why the Joker was the way he was. It was really well done. However, after reading this I felt a little conflicted. One big reasons why I love the J
Vane J.
Batman has always been my favorite superhero, and this particular book has been said to be the best one, so of course I had to read it. I'm not a big fan of graphic novels (if I'm not wrong, I think this is the first one I read), but I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

The star of the show is not Batman but no other than the Joker. I liked that he was given a compelling backstory. Of course that doesn't justify his actions but it helps to get to know the “villain” a little and to understand his
Kee Saitama
Alan Moore’s blissfully insane The Killing Joke was Tim Burton’s inspiration for his Joker in his Batman movies. It was said that he insisted to adapt the Joker’s origin story from this comic book and upon reading TKJ myself, I understood perfectly why. This only has 46 pages but those pages are filled with gore and twisted imagery that will fuel your nightmares.

This was incredibly piercing to digest for me; I'm not one to shy away from whatever depravity is depicted in books but this one was u
Stephen
Dec 31, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
description

The Joker, probably one of the most evil men in the whole comic universe, he finally has his origin somewhat told.The story starts with Batman who travels to Arkham to speak with the Joker about their history.

The Joker now, is beyond redemption, a sick sociopath. His sadistic torture of Jim Gordon, and his cold-blooded shooting of Barbara Gordon leaves us in no doubt that he is a pyschopath with no remorse, only a sick sense of humour.

I was expecting a bit more from this story as far as bulk g
Liam
Mar 10, 2016 Liam rated it really liked it
This was utterly terrifying and I loved it!!

Getting to know more about the joking combined with a fantastic, well thought out yet super creepy story was brilliant! The art work and all the parallels worked so so well I was pretty amazed at times!

The thing that definitely annoyed me the most was the ending... I wanted more from it and it just didn't really satisfy me?? I don't know, it was clever but it just wasn't what I wanted to be honest.

The joker genuinely scares me to death yet I couldn't
Leah
RTC, but holy craziness. I see why this is considered great by so many readers.
  • Batman: Hush
  • The Joker
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
  • Batman: The Man Who Laughs
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • The Batman Adventures: Mad Love
  • Batman: The Black Mirror
  • Identity Crisis
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
  • Batman: Earth One, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1: Broken Bat
  • Batman: Under the Red Hood
  • Robin: Year One
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore...

Batman (1 - 10 of 366 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 7
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 8
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 9
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 10

“MEMORY'S SO TREACHEROUS. ONE MOMENT YOU'RE LOST IN A CARNIVAL OF DELIGHTS, WITH POIGNANT CHILDHOOD AROMAS , THE FLASHING NEON OF PUBERTY, ALL THAT SENTIMENTAL CANDY-FLOSS ...

THE NEXT , IT LEADS YOU SOMEWHERE YOU DON'T WANT TO GO...

...SOMEWHERE DARK AND COLD, FILLED WITH THE DAMP, AMBIGUOUS SHAPES OF THINKS YOU'D HOPED WERE FORGOTTEN.

MEMORIES CAN BE VILE, REPULSIVE LITTLE BRUTES. LIKE CHILDREN, I SUPPOSE. HAHA.

BUT CAN WE LIVE WITHOUT THEM? MEMORIES ARE WHAT OUR REASON IS BASED UPON. IF WE CAN'T FACE THEM, WE DENY REASON ITSELF!

ALGHOUGH, WHY NOT? WE AREN'T CONTRACTUALLY TIED DOWN TO RATIONALITY!

THERE IS NO SANITY CLAUSE!

SO WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF LOCKED ONTO AN UNPLEASANT TRAIN OF THOUGHT, HEADING FOR THE PLACES IN YOUR PAST WHERE THE SCREAMING IS UNBEARABLE, REMEMBER THERE'S ALWAYS MADNESS.

MADNESS IS THE EMERGENCY EXIT...

YOU CAN JUST STEP OUTSIDE, AND CLOSE THE DOOR ON ALL THOSE DREADFUL THINGS THAT HAPPENED. YOU CAN LOCK THEM AWAY...

FOREVER.”
295 likes
“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.” 273 likes