Start by marking “Batman: The Killing Joke” as Want to Read:
Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: The Killing Joke

(Batman: One-Shots)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  143,122 Ratings  ·  4,201 Reviews
For the first time the Joker's origin is revealed in this tale of insanity and human perseverance. Looking to prove that any man can be pushed past his breaking point and go mad, the Joker attempts to drive Commissioner Gordon insane.

After shooting and permanently paralyzing his daughter Barbara (a.k.a. Batgirl), the Joker kidnaps the commissioner and attacks his mind in
Published December 1st 1995 by DC Comics (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.
Shadowjac 16-17+ very bleak, dark and disturbing significant time is given to torturing someone, plus the Joker shoots someone and stripped her naked and takes…more16-17+ very bleak, dark and disturbing significant time is given to torturing someone, plus the Joker shoots someone and stripped her naked and takes photos of her (it's unknown if he did anything else to her naked body.)
Don't know where all the 15+ recommendations came from, this comic is much, much more inappropriate then people are saying.(less)
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,594 books — 5,983 voters
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph Loeb
Best of Batman
448 books — 789 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookdragon Sean

Now this was good, and I mean good. It’s such a simple idea, but so real and powerful. I mean one bad day is all it takes. One push, one snap, one descent into chaos and it’s over. Once you’ve crossed that threshold then things will never be the same again. And the Joker, being the sly and brilliant villain that he is, wants to share the experience with the world.
Anne
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
All it takes is one bad day.

description

This is one of the most iconic comics in the Batman/Joker mythos and arguably has a place as one of the most iconic comics out there period. I think most people will agree that Bolland's visuals are just unbelievable. The expressions on the faces, the body language, even the colors are as close to perfect as you can get.

description

And Moore is at the top of his game here. Wow. Just...wow!
The ripple effects of what happened here not only created Oracle, but inspired a ton of othe
Erin
Mar 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Erin by: Zak
Mohammed Arabey
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الجوكر تقريبا من اكتر الأشرار اللي فاقت شعبيتهم شخصية البطل "السوبرهيرو" نفسه
ولو مش عارف ايه الكاريزما اللي وصلته لكدة..لازم تشوف الحكاية القصيرة العبقرية دي

العمل الفني ده، كوميكس مستقل -لا يتبع أعداد سلسلة- بيعرض وجهة نظر شخصيتين متناقضتين
اتنين الحياة المليئة بالشرور واليأس والظلم جعلتهما يجنّوا تماما

"صورة نادرة لباتمان يبتسم :)"
"كل ما يتطلبه الأمر هو يوم واحد سئ، ليخسف أعقل إنسان علي وجهة الأرض إلى الجنون. هذه هي الحياة بالنسبة لي، يوم واحد سئ"
أحدهما صار مقنعا غامضا، ذئبا وحيدا، أو كما قيل ب
Ana
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"If I have to have a past, then I prefer it to be multiple choice."

photo 2082479-batman-vs-the-joker_zpsbfisvf8z.jpg

Brilliant, absolutely loved it! This is the best Batman graphic novel ever written.

Here we have a collection that includes two of the greatest comic book characters. The Caped Crusader aka Batman and the Clown Prince of Crime aka the Joker. (suck on that Marvel)

What can I say about Joker? He is my favorite villain of all time. He's the greatest, hands down.

photo animation-batman-heath-ledger-joker-Favim.com-1164204_zpsxmjovjpk.gif

photo giphy_zpshgielhnf.gif

photo www_zpsmeewixbi.jpg

He's been a constant thorn in Batman's side. Batsy's been trying
Alejandro
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A truly masterpiece of the comic books!

This is a prestige format stand-alone story.

Creative Team:

Writer: Alan Moore

Illustrator: Brian Bolland

Colorist: John Higgins

HAVE COURAGE

Nothing’s going to be the same… …not ever again.

A writer should have balls, and I don’t mean the organic meat sacs, since a female writer is the same entitled to have balls. But if you aren’t confortable with the “male metaphor”, I am confident that you already got that I am talking about writing with courage.

A writer
Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: A discomforting, audacious book that compels re-readings and focused, lingering looks at specific pages and panels.
Jeff
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Should some origin stories be better left untold?

Comic publishers will embellish the backstory of character more than necessary or drag it out and milk it, or they’ll retcon the character one too many times until the reader doesn’t know which way is up. If there’s a month, a week, a day, a couple of minutes left undocumented in a character’s background, it’ll be fodder for a future story.

Does the Joker need an origin story?

Some basic facts are presented here: He was once “normal”. He became a
Ronyell
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of The Joker!!!
5.5 stars!!!

OH…MY…GOD…

description

I thought I knew everything there was to know about the Joker, one of Batman’s greatest foes. But after reading “Batman: The Killing Joke” and how the Joker was portrayed in this book, the Joker has officially become one of the most VILE, TWISTED, DARK and most DISTURBING villain I have ever come face to face with…AND I LOVED IT! Being brilliantly written by Alan Moore and being masterfully illustrated by Brian Bolland, “Batman: The Killing Joke” has remained to be one of
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

OMG! THIS BOOK WAS AWESOME! THE STORY LINE! THE GRAPHICS ARE FREAKING AMAZING!

I'm sure everyone and their cousin has already read this book, but I haven't so here we go. This is about how the joker turned nutsy cuckoo! He had a good job but left it thinking he could be a stand up comedian and support his wife and unborn baby. Well.... that didn't happen, he apparently wasn't funny --->who knew?

Then he goes and tries to get some crime job with some idiots
Michael Finocchiaro
One of the classic and most brutal Joker vs Batman graphic novels, The Killing Joke is a Batman classic and should be considered one of the essential canonical books in the genre. The Joker is as sinister and terrifying as ever and Batman is pushed to his limits and beyond. A fantastic fast-moving and beautifully drawn epic!
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
An accurate depiction of what these 45 minutes felt like:

description

Nolan's movies are the reason I got hooked into the world of Batman. Not only did they become some of my favourite films of all time, but they also gave me one of my favourite villains of all time: The Joker.

And I figured it was about damn time I took a leap into where it all actually began– the comics.

There's no doubt that this green-haired madman is universally hailed as perhaps the best antagonist to have ever been created, and one can
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2.5 stars rounded up.
This book was much better than "The Watchmen" to me. I may just not be a fan of Alan Moore's writing.
I mean it has this guy!

and I still didn't fan-girl over it.

It was an okay book for me though. You get the origins of the Joker..who I think is one of the best villains ever.

It's a dark one though for those of you who don't like dark. Barbara Gordan (aka-Batgirl) gets shot by the joker and he doesn't stop there. He pulls out full assholeness for this one.

The artwork is frigg
Scarlet Cameo
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rc-15
English review at the bottom

¿Que puedo decir de esta historia que no se haya dicho ya? ¿Qué es un obra maestra? Lo es, el dialogo es increíble, la deconstrucción del Joker también, pocas historias nos han mostrado tantas capas de este personaje ¿Porqué? Fácil, tenemos su parte más vulnerable, una que pocas veces se había explotado, también tenemos al clásico Joker,al que, como diría Alfred, "Quiere ver arder al mundo"...pero hay otra capa, la que poco se atreven a mostrar y es ¿Porque Batman? (y
Just finished rereading this. It’s still such a cool comic!

*Batman voice* "WHERE IS HE?"

I can see why this is so popular. The story is great and the illustrations are phenomenal. I love the Joker, he's my favourite batman villain (and possibly my all-time favourite comic/superhero villain too). He is just completely insane and I love it.

I love getting backstories so I loved getting to see an adaptation of why the Joker was the way he was. It was really well done. However, after reading this I
Ahmed  Ejaz
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, graphic-books
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy."--Joker
Wow! It's good! I liked this comic. I admit I was afraid because I thought it was published in 1988 and the work of graphics wouldn't be good. But at the same time I wanted to know the origin of Joker. In spite of its release date, the graphics were quite good. I enjoyed reading it. The Joker in this one was portrayed better than that in The Man Who Laughs.
The origin of Joker is heart breaking and pretty typical for o
Fabian
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Killing Joke does much more for the iconic symbolism & stylistic edge of the Batman mythology than the serious-as-a-heart attack (oooverrated) Christopher Nolan films. But I am admittedly really in no position to analyze,* I leave this to the millions and lkegions of fans. The afterward by maestro illustrator**- his representation the most demonic and therefore probably my favorite interpretation of the Joker--is correct when he says that Alan Moore has written better stuff. (Watchmen, F ...more
Lyn
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I asked a GR friend: Marvel or DC?

Her response made me think. She said, “Marvel over all. But DC has the better villains.”

Whu - ?

Well.

Yeah, I’ll be damned, I think she’s right.

Looking at all of the Marvel villains, I think maybe only Red Skull or Bullseye come close to matching the lunatic force of DC’s lineup. Magneto and Doctor Doom are powerful and bad, but also have some incongruous redeeming qualities. Lex Luthor, Deathstroke, Brainiac, Bane, Harley Quinn and all the Batman bad guys headlin
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've decided to explore the world of superhero comics. First on my list, Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore.

The story opens on a dark and stormy night. We're heading into Arkham Asylum with Batman. After passing a few famous inmates, we're outside inmate #0801, Name Unknown's cell.

A shadowy figure is playing solitaire within the barred room. It's The Joker.

By far, one of the creepiest villains of the Batman pantheon.

"So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, headi
Dan Schwent
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, cool-covers
I'm probably risking a lynching from the fanboy mob but I liked this a whole lot more than the other well-regarded bat-book, The Dark Knight Returns. It nicely illustrates the Batman/Joker dynamic as well as highlights their similarities. Joker seemed like a psychopath rather than the buffoon he was normally portrayed as at the time. Shooting *spoiler* in the spine and taking pictures in order to try to break *spoiler*. Awesome. My favorite part was the Joker and Batman sharing a laugh while wai ...more
Foad
نويسنده
آلن مور، توی دنیای داستان مصور، یکی از نویسنده های افسانه ایه و از روی چندتا از کمیک هاش، فیلم ساخته شده (از جمله: وی مثل وندتا، واچمن، کنستانتین، انجمن نجیب زادگان عجیب). مشابه کاری که کریستوفر نولان با فیلم های ابرقهرمانی انجام داد (و اونها رو یه مرحله بالا برد) آلن مور خیلی قبل تر با داستان های مصور انجام داده بود.

كميك
کمیک شوخى مرگبار، یکی از کمیک های کلیدی در داستان های بتمنه. این کمیک چگونگی تبدیل شدن جوکر از یه انسان معمولی به جوکر رو نشون میده. یه جورهایی کل کمیک حول موضوع جنون دور
Ahmad Sharabiani
Batman: The Killing Joke (Batman), Alan Moore, Brian Bolland (Illustrator), Tim Sale (Introduction)
Batman: The Killing Joke is a 1988 Comic graphic novel featuring the characters Batman and the Joker written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Brian Bolland. The Killing Joke provides an origin story for the supervillain the Joker, loosely adapted from the 1951 story arc "The Man Behind the Red Hood!".
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 2005 میلادی
Mario
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness. Madness is the emergency exit.

Since the animated movie is coming out soon, I decided to finally read this graphic novel. And I'm so glad I did. Joker has always been my favorite batman villain and it was nice to finally get some backstory on his character. And despite the great plot, my favorite thing about this graphic nove
F
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know nothing about Batman (apart from seeing the Christian Bale films)
I know nothing about Marvell or comic books or superheros in general but i loved this comic!

My first ever graphic read.
Lenette
Aug 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
Jaya
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy.
Thats's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day."

Absolutely brilliant

Sam Quixote
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Batman goes to Arkham Asylum on a fool's errand - to try and talk sense to the Clown Prince of Crime, the Joker. But Joker's not there! He's escaped and plans on destroying the Gordon family. Will the Dark Knight save them? Or will Joker have the last laugh...

First off, this is an acknowledged classic and I utterly loved it when I read it several years ago. Re-reading it now, I can say this book most definitely holds up, this is a classic Batman book for a reason. What I forgot was how slim a bo
Will M.
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While Joker is one of my favorite villains of all time, this graphic novel didn't amaze me. It isn't the perfect backstory that I was expecting. I read this because the animated movie is about to be released soon and I wanted to read the graphic novel first. I'm hoping that the animated movie would be a lot better than this. It might just be coincidental though and my mood could've affected my enjoyment. I might be doing a reread of this in the near future and hopefully it would have a different ...more
Ayman Gomaa
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
We must ask ourselves why we love the joker <3 !!!!
why is he our favorite Villain <3 !!!
The killing joke and indeed it was , this comic focused a lot about the joker and his philosophy and his twisted mind , but this was my first time to really get to know the real story about the joker and how he become the joker and i really liked it :D .

i see now why a lot of comics fan rate this as one of the favorites ever , it was brilliant and Alan Moore writing makes it the best , and finally we w
Stephen
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. With all due respect to the iconic Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, this, in my opinion, is the BEST Batman graphic novel ever written. This was the best portrayal of the brutality of the Joker I have ever seen and also the best depiction of the complicated (and you could say twisted) relationship between Batman and the Joker. Truly an epic piece of fiction. Highest Possible Recommendation!!!
This is not my favorite batman comic 2 11 Jun 26, 2018 08:56AM
Is the Killing Joke the darkest batman comic ever? 2 40 Apr 02, 2017 02:49AM
How feminism is illustrated in animated comics 7 98 Jan 28, 2017 11:29AM
ABQ Graphic Novel...: August Book Killng Joke 3 6 Jul 27, 2016 11:48AM
comiXology club: What do you think happened on the last page of the Killing Joke 4 67 May 07, 2016 12:40PM
  • Batman: Hush
  • Joker
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth
  • Batman: The Man Who Laughs
  • Sin City, Vol. 6: Booze, Broads, and Bullets (Sin City, #6)
  • The Batman Adventures: Mad Love
  • Batman : The Black Mirror
  • Identity Crisis
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
  • Batman: Earth One, Volume 1
  • Batman: Knightfall, Part One: Broken Bat
  • Batman: Under the Red Hood
  • Robin: Year One
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor

Batman: One-Shots (1 - 10 of 141 books)
  • Batman Special (1984) #1
  • Batman: Digital Justice
  • Batman: Full Circle
  • Batman: Holy Terror
  • Batman: Master of the Future
“All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.” 414 likes
“MEMORY'S SO TREACHEROUS. ONE MOMENT YOU'RE LOST IN A CARNIVAL OF DELIGHTS, WITH POIGNANT CHILDHOOD AROMAS , THE FLASHING NEON OF PUBERTY, ALL THAT SENTIMENTAL CANDY-FLOSS ...

THE NEXT , IT LEADS YOU SOMEWHERE YOU DON'T WANT TO GO...

...SOMEWHERE DARK AND COLD, FILLED WITH THE DAMP, AMBIGUOUS SHAPES OF THINKS YOU'D HOPED WERE FORGOTTEN.

MEMORIES CAN BE VILE, REPULSIVE LITTLE BRUTES. LIKE CHILDREN, I SUPPOSE. HAHA.

BUT CAN WE LIVE WITHOUT THEM? MEMORIES ARE WHAT OUR REASON IS BASED UPON. IF WE CAN'T FACE THEM, WE DENY REASON ITSELF!

ALGHOUGH, WHY NOT? WE AREN'T CONTRACTUALLY TIED DOWN TO RATIONALITY!

THERE IS NO SANITY CLAUSE!

SO WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF LOCKED ONTO AN UNPLEASANT TRAIN OF THOUGHT, HEADING FOR THE PLACES IN YOUR PAST WHERE THE SCREAMING IS UNBEARABLE, REMEMBER THERE'S ALWAYS MADNESS.

MADNESS IS THE EMERGENCY EXIT...

YOU CAN JUST STEP OUTSIDE, AND CLOSE THE DOOR ON ALL THOSE DREADFUL THINGS THAT HAPPENED. YOU CAN LOCK THEM AWAY...

FOREVER.”