Jump to ratings and reviews
There's no police training stronger than a cop's instinct. Faith Mitchell's mother isn't answering her phone. Her front door is open. There's a bloodstain above the knob. Her infant daughter is hidden in a shed behind the house. All that the Georgia Bureau of Investigations taught Faith Mitchell goes out the window when she charges into her mother's house, gun drawn. She sees a man dead in the laundry room. She sees a hostage situation in the bedroom. What she doesn't see is her mother. . . .

""You know what we're here for. Hand it over, and we'll let her go.""

When the hostage situation turns deadly, Faith is left with too many questions, not enough answers. To find her mother, she'll need the help of her partner, Will Trent, and they'll both need the help of trauma doctor Sara Linton. But Faith isn't just a cop anymore--she's a witness. She's also a suspect.

The thin blue line hides police corruption, bribery, even murder. Faith will have to go up against the people she respects the most in order to find her mother and bring the truth to light--or bury it forever.

Karin Slaughter's most exhilarating novel yet is a thrilling journey through the heart and soul, where the personal and the criminal collide, and conflicted loyalties threaten to destroy reputations and ruin lives. It is the work of a master of the thriller at the top of her game, and a whirlwind of unrelenting suspense.

387 pages, Hardcover

First published June 17, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Karin Slaughter

115 books60.8k followers
Karin Slaughter is the author of more than twenty instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels, including the Edgar–nominated COP TOWN and standalone novels THE GOOD DAUGHTER, PRETTY GIRLS, and GIRL, FORGOTTEN. She is published in 120 countries with more than 40 million copies sold across the globe. PIECES OF HER is a #1 Netflix original series starring Toni Collette. The Will Trent Series will air January 3rd, 2023 on ABC and streaming on Hulu. THE GOOD DAUGHTER and FALSE WITNESS are in development for film/tv. Slaughter is the founder of the Save the Libraries project—a nonprofit organization established to support libraries and library programming. A native of Georgia, she lives in Atlanta.

Facebook: Facebook.com/AuthorKarinSlaughter

Website: http://www.karinslaughter.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/karinslaugh...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1,023 (2%)
1 star
377 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,434 reviews
Profile Image for Meredith (Slowly Catching Up).
770 reviews12.1k followers
July 27, 2020
Fallen is a fast-paced, action-packed, Faith Martin centered addition to the Will Trent Series.

When Faith Martin drives to her mother’s house to pick up her newborn daughter, Faith discovers her mother, Evelyn, is missing. Not only that, but there is also blood all over the house, a dead man in the laundry room, and bad guys ready to pounce on Faith. This all happens in the first chapter and the book never really slows down. Faith not only has to deal with being a new mother, but she also has to deal with her mother’s kidnapping, her brother’s return (he’s an a**hole,), her baby daddy, and some dark secrets from the past.

Will is there to support Faith both as a friend and partner. I love how these two play off of each other. Will is also dealing with Betty having an unfortunate encounter with a Hawk (this had me LMAO), the brief, yet annoying return of Angie, as well as his growing feelings for Sara. The "will they, won't they" question is finally answered.

After reading book 4, I really missed Faith, Amanda, and, of course, Betty. Fallen makes up for this by having the entire plot revolve around Faith, who after Betty, becoming even more of a favorite. I enjoyed seeing how her character has grown and also learning more about her family history.

Onto book 6!
Profile Image for Wendy Darling.
1,520 reviews33.8k followers
June 30, 2011
4.5 stars I have a theory that it's nearly impossible to read a Karin Slaughter book in more than a day. She's one of the few authors whose books I NEED to get and devour on the day they're released because I'm so engrossed in the characters and have been waiting a whole year to find out what happens to them next. If you like your murder mysteries on the dark and gritty side, if you're fascinated by the seething violence lurking in the human psyche, this author is a definitely going to make your favorites list.

This third installment in her Georgia series, which chronologically follows the Grant County and Will Trent series, absolutely delivers on the page-turning thrills. GBI agent Faith Mitchell comes home from work one day to find her mother missing, her baby locked in the shed, a dead guy in the living room, and a bloody handprint above the open door. What the hell is going on? And how can she investigate the situation when she's been implicated in the crime?

Leading the investigation is Faith's partner Will Trent, who is still trying to hide his high-functioning dyslexia as well as his attraction to former coroner Dr. Sara Linton. Will is one of the most interesting characters I've ever come across--he is highly principled, a fantastic agent, and incredibly damaged by his childhood. Will's taciturn nature keeps most of his colleagues at a distance, but the painful patterns set in his past continue to shape the difficult circumstances of his present, and as usual he has to fight his demons so he can function in his job. Fans of this series have been waiting literally years for some measure of happiness for Will, and it's a pleasure to say that Fallen does not disappoint in that respect.

Slaughter (that is, believe it or not, not a pen name) continues to deliver high-tension thrills, hard-nosed yet vulnerable characters and violent, fast-paced action. As with all her books, this latest installment is exceptionally well-written and meticulously detailed, as well as filled with fascinating insight into forensic pathology, police procedurals, and human behavior. If you've never picked up one of her books...what are you waiting for?

********************************************************************

For anyone who is interested in checking out this series, please note that it's important to read them in order since the author wrote two separate series that eventually merge. Here's the order in which they should be read:

Grant County Series:

Blindsighted
Kisscut
A Faint, Cold Fear
Indelible
Faithless
Beyond Reach

Will Trent Series
These two books can be read (in order) concurrently with the above, but read them before you read the third batch.

Triptych
Fractured

Georgia Series (merging of two sets of characters)

Undone
Broken
Fallen

Fair warning that they are fairly violent and occasionally gruesome...so they are definitely not for the faint of heart.
Profile Image for Julie .
3,989 reviews58.9k followers
June 9, 2017
Fallen by Karin Slaughter is a 2012 Dell/Random House publication.

This fifth installment in the Will Trent series may be, arguably, I’m sure, the best one of the series thus far.

Evelyn is babysitting for Faith when she becomes a victim of a home invasion. Once Faith arrives, she finds Emma safe and sound, but Evelyn has been taken.

From this point on, the drama, action and suspense are a non-stop rollercoaster ride. Many burning questions are answered and some huge developments take place in the Sara/Will/Angie saga.

Slaughter really knows how to create rich characters, both good and bad, and manages to blend personal dramas with crime stories with perfect precision and timing.

I was pleased to see all the characters take part in this one, in one way or another, and I was so happy to finally learn the truth about Evelyn’s past, and see Will begin to heal and break away from some influences that have been holding him back. I just hope it sticks this time.

I highly recommend this series, if you haven’t read it yet. Slaughter is one the best crime/thriller authors out there and Will Trent is a terrific character! I strongly suggest reading the series in order for the best enjoyment of them.

Profile Image for ♥Sharon♥.
949 reviews143 followers
October 29, 2015

She didn’t flinch. She didn’t falter. Instead, she put her forehead to his, looked him in the eye and told him, “Breathe.” Will let out a breath he felt like he’d been holding his entire life.

photo Breathe_zpsf79lbqdc.jpg

I LOVE THIS SERIES. I LOVE WILL TRENT. ❤

From book to book there isn’t a connection with the plots. With each book you get a story that sucks you in right from the get go and doesn’t let you go until you turn that last page. Each of the characters are changing in ways that are intriguing. Karin Slaughter is careful with what she reveals to the reader leaving you anxious to know more.

In Fallen the events that happen involve Will, his partner Faith, her mother Evelyn, a variety of other characters and of course Amanda. She sets my nerves on edge. I know I have said this before, but she makes me so nervous when she is around Will. She can be such a cold bitch. Her words are harsh and demeaning but there is something about her that rests just below the surface that makes you wonder. I wonder why she just doesn’t let Will go.

photo c82b80112ed22357caec49dfe0c80b30_zpskkrpzghc.jpg

Faith has always been a tough cookie. She is stubborn, determined and has to be in control of her life at all times. When something happens involving her mother her world is shaken in such a way that she loses all her control.

photo kristen-bell_zpsdjx41641.jpg

And then there is Will. I love every damaged piece of this man. He isn’t your story book sexy as sin hero either. He is rather quirky and awkward. He is handsome and is body isn’t lacking by any means. But life has not been easy for Will. Not for one moment. He protects himself from happiness and always expects the inevitable.

photo f8a8338f4937f74683457e0381189687_zpse1mndqol.jpg

Sara is the wildcard in Will’s life. At least that is how I feel about her at the moment. I love her and I love what she represents to Will. Relationships with women have always been difficult for him. With Sara he feels things he hasn’t before.

photo 6ffd157b7d4261337c8284f45c2c3508_zpsaqshuhhf.jpg

As I said, in Fallen the characters are changing. The events that take place change Faith forever and things about Amanda and Evelyn’s past shed light on what they were like in their younger days on the police force. Their lives so intertwined. Will still battles his demons and Angie is still a BITCH. But something changes between them. It is about f’ing time.

photo 4e01d8cf70a8c50d2a13abe3ecb168cf_zpsvyw2nb5w.jpg
Profile Image for Susanne.
1,153 reviews36.2k followers
February 17, 2020
5 Thrilling Stars

Oh My Goodness! Has My Heart Stopped Pounding?! I think Not!

Poor Faith Mitchell! My Heart was in my throat for most of this novel.
“Fallen” by Karin Slaughter got me good. I felt for Faith Mitchell so much I couldn’t imagine being in her position. Driving up to her mother, Evelyn Mitchell’s house, expecting to pick up her baby girl and finding blood on the door handle? Then discovering the house in disarray, her mother gone, a dead body and having to protect herself and her daughter against two assailants?!

All in the span of a few minutes?! Dear me!

After what happened, Faith can’t even take part in the investigation! She has to leave it up to her boss Amanda Wagner and Will Trent.

It’s those Secrets that’ll Getcha!

What a Terrifying Thriller! I just Loved “Fallen!” Kudos to Karen Slaughter for giving the readers an action packed ride through CRAZY TOWN!

I know I said I loved Faith Mitchell in my last review, but my love for her then didn’t compare to my love for her now! She is one strong woman! As for her partnership with Will Trent? I love how they have each other’s backs regardless.

Thank you once again to my local library for the loan.

Published on Goodreads on 2.17.20.
Profile Image for Beverly.
773 reviews265 followers
May 19, 2019
Finally, Will and Sara are together! Yay! This is the culmination of a sad and lonely existence for both of them. These 2 fine people deserve some happiness, especially Will.

Before that happens though there is a great story which involves Faith and her Mom and a pretty colossal secret that is finally revealed. Faith and her Mom have always had a loving relationship and this brings them even closer. Both are cops and have to be strong in a man's world which helps them overcome a devastating blow. No one is safe from predators, not even the police.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for *TANYA*.
1,002 reviews280 followers
May 19, 2017
Finally!!! Will has someone in his life that actually cares about him and understands what he went through as a kid. I love Sara for him. Great book as well.
Profile Image for Mo.
1,348 reviews2 followers
September 25, 2015
I don't know what it is about Will that endears me to him. He is not movie star handsome, he is socially inept in many ways, he is awkward. But he is lovable. He had a tough upbringing but that didn't make him mean and tough, quite the opposite actually.

He wasn't even her type.

We have a situation involving Lena, her mother, Amanda and a cast of characters from the past. But who is guilty? Who is innocent? Slaughter has a great way of writing where you seriously don't know who to believe.

She had been so stupid.
One mistake so many years ago.
One terrible, stupid mistake.

"I changed my mind."

"It's slang for 'cunt'." She laughed.
"Why, Will, are you calling me a cunt?"

If only she knew how many times he'd been tempted.

Yeah, Amanda is a bit of a cunt alright.

Will didn't look up. Instead, he took her hand. His fingers laced through hers.

Angie. What to say about her? I know she had a horrible upbringing but I cannot feel sympathy or empathy for her. I just cannot.

This was their dance.
Anger.
Fear.
Violence.
Never compassion.
Never kindness.

I swear there was one scene and I was literally holding my breath.

His breath caught when her hand slipped inside his shirt. Her fingers brushed over his chest, down his belly. She didn't flinch. Instead she put her forehead to his, looked him in the eye ...

Was there closure? Was there a HEA? Did they get their white picket fence in the country? You will just have to read it and see.... There is a lot more to come out in future books, I think. All I can say is that I love Will and Sara. And I hate Angie. Did I already say that?

Profile Image for Jonetta.
2,164 reviews879 followers
December 28, 2021
The story starts with a bang when GBI Agent Faith Mitchell returns to her mother, Evelyn's home to pick up her infant daughter, Emma, and finds a chilling situation. When the dust settles, the house is a major crime scene and Evelyn is missing. It's now a race against time to figure out the who, why and where.

I couldn't stop listening to this story, told from many characters' points of view. It was often difficult to keep up with all of the minor gangsters but it didn't matter...you knew they were dangerous. One of the highlights was finally getting the truth of Evelyn's role in her former narcotics team's dirty activities. Another was Will and Sara's developing relationship, including his wife Angie. It was as complicated as I'd imagined.

The writing, characterizations and storytelling are the finest. It's really hard resisting the need to jump right into the next book so I won't. This was just excellent. And, as usual, the narration, this time by Shannon Cochran, was pitch perfect.
Profile Image for Sandra Hoover.
1,149 reviews178 followers
February 9, 2017
I'm seriously running out of accolades for this series and author. Karin Slaughter is simply one of the best in Suspense & Romance Suspense. Once again, I found myself flipping/reading pages as fast as I could, heart pounding, anticipation soaring. Fallen starts off with a sense of impending doom as Faith is running late & fails to reach her mother, who is babysitting Faith's infant daughter, by phone. After finally reaching her home, Faith's fear ratchets up another notch at the sounds of her baby crying in a locked shed out back and at the bloody hand print on the backdoor of the house. The tension intensifies as Faith enters the house to find the kitchen splattered in blood, a dead man on the floor, and voices coming from upstairs. This all occurs in Chapter 1. Suffice it to say, the tone is set for the rest of the book. I really dislike spoilers so I won't say more. Fallen is intriguing & tightly woven with twists & turns - a mystery to be solved. And the character development is HUGE . . .Will, Sara, Faith, Amanda...secrets are revealed, bonds are formed. I have rejoiced & cried with the characters of Grant County & the Will Trent series. The developments in Fallen really touched my heart. Thank you, Karin Slaughter.
Profile Image for Howard.
1,067 reviews63 followers
October 17, 2021
5 Stars for Fallen: Will Trent #5 (audiobook) by Karin Slaughter read by Shannon Cochran.

This was another fast paced and hard hitting Will Trent novel. I think the characters are wonderful. It’s fun getting to know the characters a little better in each story. I’m looking forward to listening to the next book.
Profile Image for Stephanie Nicholas.
172 reviews120 followers
July 22, 2019
Unputdownable!

Faith Mitchell is an officer with The Georgia Bureau of Investigations. Her mother is supposed to be watching her daughter for her while she's at a seminar, but when Faith comes home she finds a man dead in the laundry room, her daughter locked in a car port, and a hostage situation in her bedroom. What she doesn't see is her mother.

This was a story about gang wars, family ties, and secrets that have never seen the light of day. It's the 5th in Karin Slaughter's Will Trent mysteries, and it didn't lull. I can't get enough of her writing. Hooray!
Profile Image for Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile).
793 reviews119 followers
April 20, 2017
2017 Reading Challenge
This year I'm doing a Reading Challenge; so I have 26 books with specific subjects that I need to read.
Book 19: A book with an one-word title

These books never fail to engage and impress!

Before I started this book I was in the beginning of a bad reading slump, but as always Slaughter pulled me right out of it. Her writing style is so fluent and addictive, you just can't help but read and read and read.

In Fallen we get a snippet of what Faith's life was about before she joined the GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) and partnered up with Will.
I really like how Slaughter keeps the main story flowing but still gives you such a thorough back ground on each character that you can almost say the book was a dedication to them. It just add that extras to make it so real that you almost believe you are reading a true story.

Although these books can be read as standalone stories I'm a sucker for the main characters and the relationships that develop between them, so I try and read them in order. Which made this book a favorite because Will finally stands up for himself, I love how he grows form book to book.
Actually I love how all the characters change and adapt.

I'm slowly running out of books for this series, which is kind of depressing.
I can't see my life without Will, Sara, Faith and Amanda in it.
Profile Image for ♥Rachel♥.
1,800 reviews828 followers
May 18, 2017
So good! I was on the edge of my seat!

Amanda is a tough old broad, and the relationship between her and Will is very much like a dysfunctional mother and son. Still, I think she's on his side. Hope so anyhow.

I'm falling harder for Will with every installment.

Faith had some tough times, but made good choices for the most part.

Angie is a manipulative bitch who never ceases to amaze me with her cruelty, and selfishness! She's horrible! I can't stand her and I hope she is

On to the next one!
Profile Image for Debra .
2,125 reviews34.9k followers
November 11, 2017
It is safe to say that I have "fallen" in love with Slaughter's Will Trent series. Slaughter has quickly become one of my favorite go to Authors. I love her writing, the suspense, the dialogue, the attention to detail, the character development and yes, even the blossoming love story. I really like how Slaughter gives us characters with flaws, with demons, with things that haunt them. For me it makes them more real, more believable and I just want to sometimes shake them silly, sometimes cheer for them, and sometimes want to give them a good hard smack on the ass to get them moving in the right direction.

In this book, Faith (Will's partner) is running late to pick up her daughter at her Mother's home. When Faith arrives she quickly realizes something is not quite right and sees a bloody hand print on the door, her baby locked in a shed, a dead man, no sign of her Mother and shoots two men involved in the incident.

Our hero, Will Trent is leading the investigation. Will continues to be reserved and a man of few words. He is still trying to hide his dyslexia which I wish he would just get over it's no big deal but to his character it is. He also continues with his beginning relationship with Sara (who we know from the Grant County series). Will perhaps Will always have demons that haunt him which is why he is probably so interesting and character with the most development. I predict we will learn more and more about him as he begins to open up to Sara. Speaking with Sara, like in the Grant County Series, she also helps with the investigation giving her expert medical opinions.

This is a book where the past and the present collide for some characters. We learn some more about Evelyn, Faith's Mother. There are also some revelations made in Faith's own life.

This was a very enjoyable fast read. I had to keep reading to see what would happen next. This is where Slaughter shines. She just knows how to write suspense/thrillers. My pages kept turning and turning.

Looking forward to the next book in the series.

See more of my reviews at www.openbookpost.com
February 6, 2017
I haven't exactly been a great fan of Slaughter's Will Trent series, preferring the Grant County series, until now.

She has really hit her stride in this, the fifth of the series. This is a thrilling and exhilarating read that finally begins to pull all the strands together.

I do often wonder though, when Sara Linton gets time to tend to her Paediatric practice? She is always so busy catching criminals!

4.5 stars upgraded to 5 stars
Profile Image for Amanda Hupe.
953 reviews53 followers
February 16, 2020
It is official. I am halfway through the Will Trent series. I should be all caught up for when book 10 is released this year. Fallen by Karin Slaughter has to be the most suspenseful book in the series yet. In true Karin Slaughter fashion, the book begins with Faith Mitchell heading home from training and her mother, who is watching her daughter, isn’t answering the phone. She gets home and discovers a bloody handprint on the door and her mother gone. Her daughter is safely tucked away in the shed. Faith has now gone from GBI Investigator to the victim, and also a suspect. Only Will Trent, Sara Linton, and Amanda Wagner can help. However, can Faith put her trust in them to bring her mother home?

YES. YES. YES. I have a confession. I LIVE for Amanda Wagner. Sure, she has her faults but she doesn’t give a shit what anyone thinks and will take down anyone in her way. She is my hero and I want to be her when I grow up. After a serious lack of her character in the previous book, it was so refreshing to see her more often in this book. She takes on a bigger role since she is best friends with Evelyn Mitchell, who is Faith Mitchell’s mother. I swear Karin Slaughter if you kill her off in future books, I will crawl into a hole and cry for weeks. But you have my full permission to kill of Angie, Will Trent’s good-for-nothing ex-wife.

As always, the cast of characters is fantastic and has a great dynamic. I love seeing them all have to team up and work together. They are like the dream team. Will Trent has a lot to deal with in this book. Faith is his partner and he refuses to lose her. But then there is the growing chemistry with Sara and the Angie problem. The growth over the last few books is fantastic.

This book is just a huge avalanche of suspense. There is not a moment to breathe, so it causes problems when it is time to put the book down. Again, the ending is shocking and not even remotely predictable. I love it. I already borrowed, Snatched, from the library, which is book 5.5 in the series. Obviously, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.
Profile Image for DeAnn.
1,266 reviews
February 19, 2021
4.5 Gritty Thriller Stars

Oh, Karin Slaughter, you really know how to get me. I'm totally loving reading this series and Will Trent is such a great character.

This installment is very focused on Will's partner Faith. She shows up at her mother's house to a bloodbath and her mother is missing. The rest of the book focuses on figuring out why she was taken and how to get her back.

Action-packed and typical of Slaughter, a few scenes are not for the faint of heart. I love that this was the real start of the Will and Sara romance. Those two seem to be a great fit! Although I know some readers are super attached to Jeffrey Tolliver still.

I'm excited that I still have four more of these to read!
Profile Image for Piper.
299 reviews76 followers
December 19, 2015
Fallen, the 5th in the Will Trent series, is hands down my favorite so far. I would give it more than five stars if I could.

This was a very personal story for some of the regular characters we have come to know, which in turn made it personal for me as well (I’m very much invested in these people at this point). This wasn’t just a crime to be solved. It was a crime that must be solved- and with no less than a positive outcome.

Faith Mitchell’s mother, Evelyn, is in serious trouble and Faith is unfaltering in her quest to save her. She already has a lot going on in her life, but to lose her mother would be devastating- especially under these circumstances.

Amanda Wagner shows a different side of herself in this book. Evelyn is an old and very close friend of hers- and the emotions Amanda reveals while working to solve this crime are evidence of that. I was surprised to see that she might actually have a heart- which has been questionable up to this point! She also sees quite a bit of action which was rather interesting as well as humorous.

Sara once again finds herself drawn into Will’s world, and becomes involved in the investigation. She’s not sure she wants to be there, but she has a soft spot when it comes to Will. There is finally a bit of advancement in their relationship, thankfully. Although, had it not been for her......

And then there is Will. Beautiful, beat-down, selfless, quirky, loyal Will. He faced a myriad of emotions while working this case not to mention the physical danger he was up against. Between Amanda’s split personality, Faith’s fragile condition, Angie’s cruel and usual bitchiness (that’s the only mention she will get from me, and she doesn’t even deserve that), and the increasingly undeniable chemistry between Sara and him- he found himself frustrated and overwhelmed at times. I just want to wrap my arms around him and tell him that everything will be alright. He has no idea how many women love him (in the reading world anyway!!)

Lastly, we are introduced to a new character, Roz Levy who is Evelyn’s neighbor. She was very interesting- to say the least. I wonder if she will grace us with her ball-busting presence in future books. And we again have the pleasure of seeing Charlie in action even if to a lesser degree than previous books. I like Charlie’s enthusiasm albeit a bit on the weird, geeky in a coroner’s sort of way.

I again would highly recommend Karin Slaughter's writing to the crime/drama enthusiast. This had plenty of gruesome, eewww moments as well as twists and turns that kept me guessing (although I did actually figure one part out early on). I loved it!! But even more- I love Will. ♥♥♥♥
Profile Image for Godzilla.
634 reviews21 followers
August 7, 2012
Another book passed on by my Mother In law, and frankly I must have upset her recently in some way. This was amazingly disappointing for a Karin Slaughter book.

Previous books of hers have torn along at a frantic pace, real page turners, but this felt like a plodding old horse, crying out to be put out of it's misery.

Normally the plots are rivetting and unfold in unexpected ways. This felt like a non-story from start to finish. It was clear that the missing mother was alive, and was likely to remain that way, so no tension created. The story limps along from one murder to the next, with none of the characters dying having any emotional tie in to the reader.

I'm used to having one unlikeable character in a Slaughter book (Lena Adams springs to mind easily in this regard) but this offering had them by the bus load. This made it even harder to buy into a poorly plotted book.

There are some great Karin Slaughter books out there, but this isn't one of them. I'm hoping this is a deviation from the normally sparkling offerings.
Profile Image for Karen.
793 reviews1,004 followers
December 1, 2015
5 STARS

WHOA! This series is really heating up now! And each and every character is being pushed to the breaking point. Whether it be in a good way or a bad. And as I get to know them, I am loving them all even more... or as in Angie's case, hating.

Will is finally getting some happy in his life. Yes, it is completely immersed in turmoil, but it is there nonetheless. And while I think he has a long way to go cutting the cord with Angie, I am holding out hope that he can finally walk away from her for good.

Sara is also learning the ropes of how to get what she wants while negotiating the many obstacles that come along with Will Trent. She is quickly finding that she is going to have to change the rules of the game in order to have a part in his life. And even more surprising is her willingness to do whatever it takes.

Sara felt her mouth open in surprise. She was just as guilty as the rest of them. She had been so desperate for Will to fight for her that it had never occurred to her that Will was waiting for Sara to fight for him.

Angie is definitely starting to lose her shit now. She has gone so far off the deep end, and has gotten so vicious towards Will that I find myself wishing something horrific will happen to her. I know that's terrible to say, but sadly true. She is just EVIL! Hate is too kind a word for what I feel for this bitch.

"They said the razor cut so deep that he scraped the bone." She smiled, as if this was a happy memory.
"He did that for me, bitch. You think he'd do that for you?"

Faith is front and center in this episode, along with her family. And while she's still struggling to get her health issues in order, she is as BADASS as ever! I really love her character.

Faith pumped the shotgun with one hand as she walked toward the carport. The action made a satisfying tha-thunk that echoed against the concrete. In a single fluid motion, the stock was against her shoulder, the barrel straight in front of her. She kicked open the door, holding the weapon steady as she yelled "POLICE!""

We even got to see some rare moments of weakness on Amanda's part. There is still a veil of mystery around her character, but we are definitely getting more and more clues about who she really is underneath all of that bravado.

"What did Evelyn tell you?"
"The truth, I hope."
"I'm sure it was buried in there somewhere."
"I think she told me what I need to know."
"She said you were proud of me."
"Well, that doesn't sound like me at all."
"No."

This was by far my favorite book of the series so far. So, on to book 6!
Profile Image for Alisonbookreviewer .
396 reviews23 followers
November 8, 2022
4 Stars

Wills life is finally coming together. He might have a shot at happiness.
Meanwhile Will's partner Faith finds her mother has been kidnapped and held for ransom by some rough men.
As usual there's a good twist that puts more insight into Faith's family.
Not my favourite case but still a good story.
Profile Image for Patrick .
444 reviews45 followers
February 16, 2017
Can this author tell a story? I can easily say you're damn skippy she can. There was more content and dialogue packed in #5 than the others I've read in this series. Same cast of characters though....there are of course damaged Will (lysdexic but brilliant detective), bitch from hell Amanda (Will's boss), tough as nails Faith (Will's partner), the sweet doctor Sarah (Will's friend with benefits), and last but least the queen of skank Angie (Will's wife, but use this word loosely). I'm telling you and as usual with Ms. Slaughter's novels I didn't see last few chapters coming or going.
I really like the fact that this series is set in Atlanta as I am a huge Braves fan and have spent many summer weekends and holidays at Fulton Cty & Turner Field stadiums. I guess I didn't venture into the seedier areas of the city, guess that's why I'm able to live and breathe and attempt to review her books. Enjoy this series at your own risk, it usually takes me a day or two to fully absorb each one in this series. Especially tough listening at work....but please, don't tell anyone. <)
Profile Image for Stephen Clynes.
517 reviews29 followers
August 29, 2015
Faith Mitchell gets to her mother’s house late to pick up her daughter Emma but there is blood on the door. So starts this novel in the Georgia series of crime thrillers from Karin Slaughter. It has been over 5 years since I have last read one of Karin’s novels and it feels like I have suddenly bumped into an old friend I had lost contact with. I have read a total of 5 novels from Karin and each one is a stand alone book, so you do not have to read them in a sequence. Karin is a very popular top selling American author and she bangs out a new novel each year. I like her writing style where she bombards the reader with tonnes of information that supports an intelligent and very involved plot. She is very good with forensics and Police procedure.

Karin is good at explaining popular culture in her novels so that the reader can step into the environment, for example…

‘He’s only got one tattoo.’ Young gang members generally used their bodies as a canvas to illustrate their lives, etching tattoos of teardrops under their eyes for every murder, wrapping their elbows and shoulders in cobwebs to show they’d done time. The tattoos were always rendered in blue ink culled from ballpoint pens, what was called ‘joint ink,’ and they always told a story. Unless their story was so bad that it didn’t need to be told.

...Karin also has a powerful knack to describe feelings to the reader so very well. We all enjoy everyday freedoms and can take them for granted, however…

If they were lucky, this diagnosing and classification process took around six weeks before they were assigned to another prison or moved to the permanent facilities at D&C. Until then, the inmates were on twenty-three-hour lockdown, which meant that but for one hour a day, they were confined to their cells. No cigarettes, coffee, or soda were allowed. They could buy only one newspaper a week. No books were allowed, not even the Bible. There were no TVs. No radios. No phones. There was a yard, but inmates were allowed out only three days a week, and that was weather permitting and only for whatever time was left on their one hour day. Only long-term residents were allowed visitors, and then it was in a room that was halved by a metal mesh that required you to yell to be heard over the voices of the other visitors. No touching. No hugging. No contact whatsoever.

...I enjoyed reading Fallen, it was a very entertaining and thrilling read. It is a great story to run with as a daily read. It is easy to follow and picking it up is like getting the day’s gossip from workmates. Karin is in the top league of authors for crime thrillers and this book is a comfortable read that does not disappoint. I can find nothing wrong with this novel, so I will vote it the top score of 5 stars and look forward to reading her next novel called criminal in the Georgia series.
Profile Image for Sonja Arlow.
1,063 reviews7 followers
May 10, 2020

It takes a LOT these days to impress me and this one just didn’t make the cut.

As this is book 5 in the series I found the lives of the characters much more interesting than the overall crime/plot. In fact the ending so unbelievable that I decided to lower my rating.

I found the motive of the crime in complete disproportion to the violence displayed. It can be compared to someone tripping over a sidewalk and then bombing the whole neighborhood out of revenge.

And Angie is no longer a character but just a plot device with no purpose other than to show just how evil she can be….. yawn!

I will give this series one more chance but the next book better blow my socks off
Profile Image for h o l l i s .
2,333 reviews1,823 followers
April 29, 2018
FALLEN is the best of the Will Trent series so far. And it has nothing to do with the murder/mystery of the week, though I'll admit I liked how it all shook out and how involved Amanda was. Seeing her character be more than the hardass chick with the brutal barbs was fascinating. And her backstory was something else, too.

But more importantly. FALLEN is the best of the Will Trent series because of things that happened and all the things I felt in my feeeeeeelings place. Oh man. So much of this was hard earned. So much of it isn't over. So much of it was beautiful while simultaneously ripping my heart out. I can't help but award it all the stars because of that. Even if so much of it made me want to burn down the world, too.. right after setting one particular person on fire.

Even if the rest of the books end up being a disappointment (I don't think they will but I'm trying to prove a point here!), this book makes it all worth it.

Thank you to my Slaughterthon ladies for holding my hand through this one and putting up with countless screenshots and voice memos. I'm sure there's a lot more still to come.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,434 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.