Start by marking “The Genesis of Justice: Ten Stories of Biblical Injustice that Led to the Ten Commandments and Modern Morality and Law” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Alan Dershowitz is one of America's most famous litigation experts. In the Genesis of Justice he examines the Genesis narratives to bring to the reader an insight into the creation of the ten commandments and much of what is now law.
Published February 1st 2001 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2000)

Kurt
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a curious book to read as someone from a Christian background. I have read Genesis many times, and I have heard many sermons and written analyses about these stories, but I was still challenged by Professor Dershowitz's approach to the material. Essentially, he analyzes the book of Genesis as a prologue to the books of the Law that follow it - stories of injustice are less to illuminate some quality of God, more to show why the legal system developed is so necessary. As a law professor, ...more
Tzippy
Warning: Yeshivish ahead

Kfiratastic!

It's hard to rate this book, because do I rate it on a scale of how much is it kfira, or how interesting it is, or how compelling an argument it makes, or what? It's interesting and readable and, well...

On a kfira scale--one being VaYoel Moshe (kidding! Just kidding!) and ten being, say, the New Testament--this is about a six. Really, this book didn't need to be kfira. It was mostly just the first 3-4 chapters, and the book would still have worked without the
Steven Williams
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely great. I don't know why, but every book I've read by Dershowitz has been extremely good, and this book is no exception. He tackles the judicial aspects of Genesis, providing a secular analysis of the texts. Very very interesting.
Shira
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, despite the fact that I do not agree with the adversarial system of law which we use in the United States, was an excellent work. He shows in engaging ways how the stories of vice and victimhood lead directly to the laws enacted in more or less response to those earlier problems. Very intersting comparisons and contrasts are made between the various Abrahamic religious traditional ways of dealing with vice and law-giving, and finally a wonderful 'borrowing' is described in response to ...more
Doug
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dershowitz views the OT as a legal document. Genesis displays a unruly group of men and women who need the law to keep them in line. He uses a rabbinical approach of having a conversation with the text along with his background in the law for this interesting reading of the first book of the Bible.
Leon
May 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dershowitz's exegesis seems very unorthodox at points but his logic is compelling. A very interesting take on Genesis.
Enrico
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I liked a lot all the citation of the commentaries, thru the centuries, of the Bible and Genesis (and by Jews, Christians and Muslims).
Ginni
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never thought about justice the way this author presented it. Thought-provoking.
Lesley
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Interesting to see the stories of Genesis from a legal point of view. Dershowitz concludes that these tales of extreme family dysfunction point out the need for a society based on law.
Michael Walker
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible, religion
Allan Dershowitz is a noted American law professor. Unfortunately, his training does not extend to the spiritual implications of the book he intends here to explicate.
Deborahanndilley
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this one on audible and I was surprised at how quickly I went through it. This was an excellent book, focusing on the importance of the Book of Genesis as to establishing law. The author sets up the basis of the Torah being the basis of law and the stories of Genesis as an example of life before a justice system was created and why it was needed. This is one that I will re-listen to from time to time as there was so much good stuff in it.
Jack Townsend
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, law
Read this after a recommendation from a Christian member of our Torah Study Group. Very good read. I was particularly interested in the justice / legal presentation that he makes. He does good Torah midrash in this book.
Dave
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and very well written book. I love deciphering the mysteries of what people have come up with and this discussing a book or set which has caused just about every war on the planet- cool stuff.
Rachel Garber
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book. I have not finished it
Daryl
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting ideas such as the bible would make more since if god was not omniscient. Basically, he challenges preconceived attributes on god.
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting discussion of the book of Genesis as a historical overview of the development of a formal system of laws in the Jewish community.
Andreas
  • Ladies And Gentlemen Of The Jury: Greatest Closing Arguments In Modern Law
  • Greek Legends and Stories
  • The Geometry of Love: Space, Time, Mystery, and Meaning in an Ordinary Church
  • Atlas of World History
  • 30-Second Religion (The 50 most thought-provoking religious beliefs each explained)
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • Everyday Life in Early America (The Everyday Life in America series)
  • From Nature to Creation: A Christian Vision for Understanding and Loving Our World
  • The Pacific War Companion: From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima
  • Deliver Us From Darkness: The Untold Story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment during Market Garden (General Military)
  • The Book of J
  • The Irish Pub Cookbook
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • South Carolina: A History
  • Searching for John Ford
  • The First Eagles: The American Pilots Who Flew With the British, Became Aces, and Won World War I
  • Without Sin: The Life and Death of the Oneida Community
  • Pirates: Terror on the High Seas, from the Caribbean to the South China Sea
Alan Morton Dershowitz is an American lawyer, jurist, and political commentator. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He is known for his career as an attorney in several high-profile law cases and commentary on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

He has spent most of his career at Harvard, where, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor in its history, until No
More about Alan M. Dershowitz...