Start by marking “Stolen Time” as Want to Read:
Stolen Time

Stolen Time

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  267 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In 1976 a 28 year old mother of two and her partner were wrongfully sentenced to death by the Florida courts for the murder of two police officers. Sunny Jacobs would not taste freedom again for 17 years, by which time her two children were estranged, her parents were dead, and her partner had been executed.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2007 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen Time

Louise
"I now know from hard-earned experience that each of us, male or female, must at some point take responsibility for ourselves and our lives. That's the way it is. "

This is the biography of Sunny Jacobs, a woman who, at the age of 28 she was sentenced to death for her role in the murders of two policemen in Florida, a crime she never committed. Her death sentence was later commuted to life in prison, and in total, she spent seventeen years in jail, five of which were in solitary confinement. It i
Brenda
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terribly heartbreaking tale of the justice system going horribly wrong! 17 years in jail for a crime she didn't commit...her boyfriend executed 2 years prior to the conviction being overturned! I read this some time ago, but the 'wrongness' of it all has stayed with me!
Steph
I believe that this is a great book and a really inspirational story, what happened to Sunny was devastating and to spend 20yrs in jail and to miss your children growing up is unthinkable and what her poor son went through just after the arrest,it makes me so angry that they were allowed to do that.

As a rule I never give up a book until it's finished and only the very rare one do I and sadly this was one of them. I read 170 something pages and while its started out interesting,her early life an
Cheryl
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written book about a woman's time on death row and then as a lifer for a crime she didn't commit. Sunny Jacobs gives us insight how she built a new life for herself, the strong bonds she formed while in prison, her relationship with Jesse and shares her thoughts on the US criminal system. Highly recommended.
Charlie Jackson
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping read, hard to believe at times that it is a true story as more and more twists and turns are revealed. A story which brings home the fact that one split decision can have devastating consequences.
Silvana (Por detrás das Palavras)
Cruzei-me com este livro na biblioteca por acaso. O seu título e a sua temática chamaram a minha atenção. Tempo Roubado traz-nos o relato na primeira pessoa de uma jovem, Sunny Jacobs, que é julgada e condenada por um crime do qual não é responsável. No primeiro julgamento, o casal Sunny e Jesse são condenados à morte.

As circunstâncias que conduzem à acusação deles são o resultado de uma personalidade imatura e um estilo de vida irresponsável. Sunny e Jesse viviam uma vida pouco estável e acaba
Jana
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Okay so I haven't technically finished reading this book (I have decided to give up, because you know, it's never too late to quit).

At first I thought this book would be a fascinating book because I've been really interested in true crime and the US justice system and stuff lately, and it seemed like the book was everything I'd hoped it would be. then I got to around page 150-200. Oh. My. God. I really don't mean to come off as being rude or insensitive and I can't even imagine going to prison f
Melissa Mcintyre
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book....I couldn't put it down! Had to force myself to stop reading and turn the light off and go to sleep at midnight after complaints from Hubby that he couldn't sleep with me reading with the light on! The lingering question after reading this book was 'how could she have been so naive?' Even at the end of the book we don't read of her pressing charges against him after all he did to her. So glad she managed to escape and it does seem to have matured her somewhat to the point she ha ...more
Hannah
May 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This is an incredible story about one woman's amazing courage and strength in fighting for justice in Florida's corrupt legal system over three decades (late 70's, 80's and early 90's). Her survival instinct and ability to make do with whatever the prison system threw at her showed an amazing strength of character. However i felt the book dragged on too much and that some of the content was irrelevant to the storyline. I felt saddened by the way she was treated but delighted by her positive spir ...more
Mary Power
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sunny is an amazing person. Perhaps too trusting at times. Couldn't see myself running after Jesse with two small children, but as She said herself, He had something about him that drew women towards him. Hard to believe that a Country that's considers itself to be so sophisticated could have States led by such Corrupted Prosecuters. I think the death penalty is a lazy ass way of dealing with Crimes. This is a well worth read, it will make you mad and sad in equal measures, but Sunny is a person ...more
Belebe
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I think Sunny Jacobs is an amazing woman too! She's always so positive and has such strong will power to stay the cause with HOPE and the wish to be with her children again.

I found it a little too draggy at times and some parts are not clearly linked, but I guess she wanted to weave in all the times and her feelings throughout her 17 years in prison. I felt really sorry for her for being punished for so long for something she didn't commit and for missing out all the years she could have spent
Lynn
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A no-holds barred narrative which seriously questions the death penalty in the US. As you read through it you see how the case against Sunny and her partner, Jesse Tafero just falls apart on closer analysis. Her death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, and eventually after almost 17 years the conviction was overturned as the original evidence was shown to be unreliable and insufficient. It was two years too late for Jesse though, he was executed despite the serious concerns about the ca ...more
Inês
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A justiça americana. A pena de morte. A sobrevivência dentro de uma prisão. A força de uma mulher inocente perante um sistema que quis que ela fosse culpada à força. O amor - pelo companheiro/marido, pelos filhos, pelos pais. 17 anos de vida em pausa.
Gostei. Gostei bastante.

American justice. Death penalty. Survival in a prison. The streght of an innocent woman in a sistem that wanted her to be guilty at any cost. The love - for her husband, her children, her parents. 17 years paused.
I liked it.
Charlotte
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I personally enjoy stories that have an element linked to death row and American prisons (mainly because in England we do not have this in our justice system) and this was an interesting re-telling of a real life experience. I found some parts of the story were rushed and I would of enjoyed reading in more detail. However, if you are wanting to have an understanding of life in an American prison for a woman wrongly convicted then this is a must read!
Wendy Collard
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly moving account of one womans life in which she was wrongly convicted of a crime. Detailing her story throughout, you cannot help but emphasize with all the injustices both she and her partner faced. A hard hitting page turner which evokes your emotions. A sad story but also one of great courage, her attitude is truely remarkable considering.... I was recommended this book by a friend and in turn would also recommend to anyone.
Travis Bird
A true story and I was torn between pity and exasperation. The author's suffering in prison is compelling but I kept thinking that it was self-inflicted by a very poor choice of company. The boy friend who is put to death isn't a type I could muster much pity for - She tells how he cleared away his competition for her by encouraging her previous boyfriend to wreck himself on drugs...how sorry can I be that he got fried?
Louise
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the beginning and ending parts of this book, but as a lot of people said, the middle bit dragged. I appreciate that must have been nothing to what 17yrs in prison was like, but it was very samey to read. Tragic story that I'm glad I read, but I did flick though a lot of the prison years as it got a bit boring to read
Tammy
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book starts off slow but gets much better. It's a scary story, scary that something like this could actually happen. I don't think I could come out of this ordeal and embrace life the way Sunny Jacobs did.
Susan Mccloskey
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought that Sunny related her experiences and time spent incarcerated quite well. There were moments when I shed tears and could relate to her feelings and anxiousness relating to the American Judicial system. All in all it was well worth the read.
Yasmin
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
i think it was a good book and you would like it if you are the type of person who likes to read autobiographies, sad and someone who has been wrongfully sent to jail and their familly has been torwn apart. in the end hough it is wonderful.
Lauren Agnew
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, although parts of it got a bit boring at times..but what did I expect she's in prison after all. Still worth a read to see how an innocent woman coped with being on death row and the many years before she got out.
Missy Cahill
May 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
An interesting story but far too long. I felt her actual description of what happened that day didnt come clearly across to the reader. She dealt with it in one chapter and was never fully reviewed again.
Kellie Mackrell
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had not heard about this case before reading this book so I found this fascinating. I was hooked from the first page right through to the last page but I did feel the ending was a little rushed. My heart goes out to Sunny, Jesse and their families.
Mandy
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Great story that is crying out for better editing.
Luke Charles
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book of true life tale of huge sorrow and suffering.Hardly anyone besides the author could have coped with what befell her.Inspirational novel to read.
Kate
Aug 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Very interesting insight into a world few of us visit, or survive to write about.
Sandra Mackintosh
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secondary
A true story about a lady named Sonny Jacob who was wrongly accused of murder and imprisoned for 17 yrs
Grade 10
Tanya
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it
As far as true stories go this one if good but dragged on a bit.
Kylie
Jun 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot imagine what this woman has been through over the years. You can't help thinking how incredibly naive she was but you have to admire her strength of spirit.
Hannah King
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story. Sunny Jacobs strength was so inspiring!
  • Kaitlyn
  • Cannibal Killers: The Real Life Flesh Eaters and Blood Drinkers (True Crime)
  • House Arrest
  • Beneath the Thirteen Moons
  • Barra Creek
  • Out of the Dark
  • To the Is-land: An Autobiography (Autobiography, #1)
  • Living with Ghosts
  • Dictionary of Slang
  • Crystal Doors (Crystal Doors, #1)
  • Mummy, Come Home: The True Story Of A Mother Kidnapped And Torn From Her Children
  • On Deception
  • M is for Malice & N is for Noose
  • Mengele: The Complete Story
  • Apartment 255
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Psychology
  • Escape from Evil: Married at 17 to a Serial Killer, She's One Victim Who Escaped
  • Daisy Bates in the Desert: A Woman's Life Among the Aborigines