Start by marking “The Devil Rides Out” as Want to Read:
The Devil Rides Out

The Devil Rides Out (Paul O'Grady Autobiography #2)

Birkenhead, 1973. The eighteen-year-old Paul O'Grady gets ready for a big Saturday night out on the town. New white T-shirt, freshly ironed jeans, looking good. As he bids farewell to his mum, who's on the phone to his auntie, and wanders off down the street in a cloud of aftershave, he hears her familiar cry: 'Oh, the devil rides out tonight, Annie. The devil rides out!'

T
Published June 23rd 2011 by Bantam (first published September 16th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Rides Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Rides Out

Nicole
I feel bad giving only 2 stars to this book, because I like Paul O'Grady very much. But the second instalment of this autobiography is disappointing.

The content can be summarised as follows:

O'Grady gets unsuitable job that he hates, falls in with a crowd at a gay bar, sees a drag act and thinks "I could do that". O'Grady quits job he hates, gets another, starts frequenting another completely different but somehow exactly the same bar in which there is a resident drag act, and thinks "I could do
Mags
May 01, 2012 Mags rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this one.
The first part of Paul's autobiography was great - full of fun and character.
Whether this second part was done by a different ghost-writer, or whether Paul was against a deadline, is difficult to say. The result, however, is actually not a book I enjoyed reading.
There were far too many "little did I know..." comments. I don't want to know that you actually spent 3 years at a flat you initially hated, Paul. I'll get to that information when I continue reading.
There were
Maj
Feb 08, 2011 Maj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this part of Paul Oh's autobio I definitely have a big respect for him. I get that he (and Lily) aren't everybody's taste but I've had a thing for Paul for years now. Now I can't believe what he already experienced between his late teens & early 20's...Respect.
Told in his own style the book had more suspense & thrill than 80% crime/thriller fiction literature & made you smile as well as tear up a little bit. Also respect to him for not holding back telling about stuff o
Aunty Janet
Nov 27, 2011 Aunty Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not too keen on Paul O'Grady on TV, but really enjoyed his first autobiography so wanted to read this too. It's really interesting to read about his life; I knew he had worked in a children's' home, but didn't realise he had done so many 'caring' jobs. He's had quite a life, it's fascinating to read about how 'Lilly Savage' came about and how he developed 'her'.
The book finishes just as 'Lilly' is starting out. To have written two autobiographies covering his life up to the point he becomes
Jean
Jul 02, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this volume you see more of Paul's personality from his nasty side, which usually appears when he's been drinking, to his caring side and his feeling for those less fortunate than himself. He really did some shitty jobs in his time and no-one could say he hasn't seen life. The book comes across as being written honestly, brutally so at times and I think this is why I liked it. So many celebs appear to be a little economical with the truth in their biographies, just to look good.
Dreamer
Incredibly funny & readable, can't wait for the next installment..
"I won't be late," I lied, "and if I'm not home it means that I've stayed at one of me mates."
"Mates? Which Mates?" she asked suspiciously. "Ooh, I'd like to be behind you to see what you're up to with these mates, my lad."
'You wouldn't,' I thought.
"He's off out tomcatting it again, Annie, " my mother sighed resignedly down to the phone to my aunty.
Jessica Woolley
Feb 11, 2016 Jessica Woolley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this a while back and absolutely love it. I like Paul though as a person
Rosie
Jul 02, 2011 Rosie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rosie by: Florrie
Favourite Quote: “If you’re considering getting an act together I’d drop the name. Lily Savage is all right for a bit of camp but no one is going to take an act that sounds like an old scrubber seriously, dahling.”

Looking back, I find it quite strange that, as an 8-year-old child, one of my favourite TV shows was the revival of the comedy game show Blankety Blank, hosted by the late, great Lily Savage. I remember finding the actual game pretty boring because I didn’t understand most of the doubl
Rachel
Jan 26, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read his autobiography I hear Paul O'Grady speaking. Another fabulous read, moving, shocking, very funny. He has a great ear for dialogue, especially women's conversations, and can conjure up a humourous scene so quickly.

It isn't quite as laugh out loud funny as the first volume, but perhaps necessarily so? Paul is now a father (a very reluctant dad), working in social care (some very sad situations), takes a holiday in eastern Europe (in the Seventies - Checkpoint Charlie, the works), an
Gill
Jul 31, 2011 Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 2 of O'Grady's autobiography. Read volume 1 - At My Mother's Knee - first, just because it's slightly superior.

This picks up immediately from the death of his father and continues Paul's exploits in unsuitable jobs (including husband and father!) and occasionally with unsuitable men. It's repetitive in places and doesn't move the life story along all that far - by the end of the book, O'Grady's alter-ego Lily Savage is still a raw newcomer on the drag scene.

I can't say I was disappointed
Barbra
Jan 22, 2011 Barbra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this second part of Paul's autobiography. Just as funny as the first book. Can't wait for the third instalment.

Back Cover Blurb:
The further advenures of Paul O'Grady - following on from the million-copy-selling At My Mother's Knee - are, if anything, even more hilarious and outrageous than what has come before. As Paul struggles to get to grips with unexpected fatherhood and bereavement, he searches high and low for a job that lasts and somehow finds himself getting married in the process.
Grace
Nov 28, 2010 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this even more than the first (if that's possible!). As we follow Paul into fatherhood and on to his debut into the world of drag I literally couldn't put this book down. The day couldn't go quick enough just so I could get home and read some more. As before, his writing is enthralling, filled with genuine emotion and sure to keep you interested. It made me laugh and cry along with him as he recounted his many adventures through his early life. I truley hope that there will be another, ...more
Venuskitten
Dec 31, 2010 Venuskitten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second volume of Paul O'Grady's honest and down-to-earth autobiography, covering his life as a social worker (including working as a peripatetic social worker with children from 'difficult' families) during the day and the beginnings of his drag act as Lily Savage in gay clubs and pubs in the evenings. Enjoyable, readable and colourful with no hint of any celebrity name-dropping or arrogance, this volume ends in the author's early twenties and there must be lots more to come Recommended.
Michelle Gaskell
Aug 13, 2014 Michelle Gaskell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it, although less than the first installment. Feels like this one is dragged out somewhat, maybe to be able to write the third book (which I am going to read ASAP) and make people want to buy it. Still made me laugh and cry and shocked me in some places too. We shall see if book number three sums up the rest of his life until present day or if the publishers are still going to try and milk his story for a fourth installment!!
Caroline
Jan 15, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
The second instalment of Paul O Grday's autobiohraphy takes up where the first one left off with his father's death and the news that he is to become a father himself.
With his heart on his sleeve Paul takes us through his reactions to becoming a father, his move to London, his various jobs and he introduces us to some very interesting characters.
Laugh-out-loud funny and hugely entertaining.
Rosie
Aug 30, 2011 Rosie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not as good as his first. but still a couple of laughs but definately not out loud ones sadly. bt of a mixed; definately didnt feel as though he was in the room as you read it, like i did feel wit hthe first i could just hear him in the same room. but not with devil rides out. quite a disappointing second book. not all its cracked up to be.
Gillian
Dec 10, 2013 Gillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul O'Grady is one of my favourite ever personalities. I couldn't help but hear the words of this autobiography, as I did the first instalment in his voice. He is a natural born comedian and I believe the TV/Radio persona is genuinely Paul O'Grady. Nothing is left to the imagination as to his somewhat chequered history, I think Lily Savage might even have led a more sheltered life!
Ellena Downes
May 13, 2013 Ellena Downes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the second book in the series Paul hits the bright lights of London. It's interesting to get an insight into the gay club scene and how he takes everything in his stride. I loved the pictures in this one, Paul and his red hair.
I wanted to hear more about the drag act but that's for the next volume
Lisa Bennett
Aug 02, 2011 Lisa Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
A much better book than the first of this series of biographies. Very interesting reading. We finally start to hear about Lily Savage, and how she came to be, and about Paul's life away from his mother, and his travels. Very good book. Can't wait to read his third, and probably the last of the series of his biographies.
Lucilla
Interesting read - he is very witty. Like his other book I think he could have cut out some detail - how did he remember so much. Book ends with the creation of lily savage. Not sure if I agree with celebs dragging their life stories out over several volumes. Will probably read the next one though!
Sammi shaw
i really wanted to love this book as i love paul but for some reason i couldnt! it felt like i was reading about somebody different, i mostly enjoyed learning how he became lily savage as id always wondered how he'd gotten into it, overall i wasnt really impressed :(
Carla Monsoon
Dec 29, 2012 Carla Monsoon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pauls open, comical and honest story telling makes you feel he is sitting with you telling it like it is
Paul O' Grady is an absolute star and this book was nostalgic, historical and funny in all the right places
Rachel
Started laugh out loud funny but became fairly serious and ever so slightly dull for the second half. It was interesting reading about familiar pubs and areas of London though.
We need more of Paul's Mum; she sounds like a star!
Hannah
Jan 29, 2012 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the minute I finished reading "At My Mother's Knee" and put it down, I couldn't wait for the next instalment of Paul O'grady's memoirs. He is as funny in writing as he is on television, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book as much as the first. A must-read for Paul O'Grady/Lily Savage fans
Adrian
May 16, 2012 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Not as funny as the first book but still contained moments that gave you the odd chuckle. That said the book was still an enjoyable read and you can almost imagine Paul narrating it in your head.
Gary Smith
Although not as funny as part 1, it does have its moments. I suppose that if you're on a journey, each stop you make takes you nearer to your destination. Told in Paul's unique voice. If you like him, you'll like this.
Neal Hughes
Read this and the first one. Written in a style that makes it sound as if Paul is speaking to you. Very funny in places but I can't help feel that he is drawing stories out unnecessarily in order to get as many volumes as possible.
Claire
Feb 08, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book.
Hazel Stanton
Aug 14, 2013 Hazel Stanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this second installment...fast paced, informative and sometimes tear jerking
Tracy Bethell
not the best book i,ve read,but funny in places
  • A Young Man's Passage
  • So Me
  • Dannii: My Story
  • Insider
  • Look Back in Hunger
  • Channeling Morpheus for Scary Mary (Channeling Morpheus, #1-5)
  • Our Betty
  • Sharon Osbourne Survivor: My Story: The Next Chapter
  • It's Not What You Think
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • The Life of Lee
  • No Holding Back
  • My Life
Paul James Michael O'Grady MBE (born 14 June 1955) is an English comedian, television presenter, actor, writer and radio DJ. He is best known for presenting the daytime chat television series, The Paul O'Grady Show and, more recently, Paul O'Grady Live, as well as his drag queen comedic alter ego, Lily Savage, as whom he performed in various television series including Blankety Blank (1997–1999) a ...more
More about Paul O'Grady...

Paul O'Grady Autobiography (4 books)
  • At My Mother's Knee...: and other low joints