Start by marking “Butter” as Want to Read:
Butter

Butter

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  7,089 Ratings  ·  1,126 Reviews
A lonely obese boy everyone calls "Butter" is about to make history. He is going to eat himself to death-live on the Internet-and everyone is invited to watch. When he first makes the announcement online to his classmates, Butter expects pity, insults, and possibly sheer indifference. What he gets are morbid cheerleaders rallying around his deadly plan. Yet as their dark e ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Butter, please sign up.

Lisa Well said, Sally! This book provides characters such as Doc Bean and the Professor who help Butter discover the healthy way to lose weight and improve…moreWell said, Sally! This book provides characters such as Doc Bean and the Professor who help Butter discover the healthy way to lose weight and improve his health. Its main focus is on the cruelty of the superficial teens who are using Butter to their own selfish ends. Butter is not fooled by their falseness - yet he still gravitates to them. I really liked the way that Butter, Anna, and even Butter's parents grew through this book - to look at people from the inside , rather than from without.(less)

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I read Butter over two weeks ago, but never got around to writing a review pretty much because I didn’t want to get trolled. In case you aren’t already aware . . . .

After all the backlash the original blurb (not the book itself, because everyone decided to get asshurt before the damn thing was even released so they could read it) for Holding Up the Universe, I was more than a little scurrrrred to share all of my thoughts about this b
Stacia (the 2010 club)
You think I eat a lot now? That's nothing. Tune in December 31st, when I will stream a live webcast of my last meal. I can't take another year in this fat suit, but I can end this year with a bang. If you can stomach it, you're invited to watch...as I eat myself to death.

- Butter

This is the opening paragraph. If that isn't enough to catch someone's attention, then I don't know what else would.

Before I picked this book up, I was a little nervous. I've tried to read books which dealt with simi
Hannah
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm going to be honest here. I struggle a lot with sizeism. Even though I've learned, rationally, that size and health are not directly related, and that overeating is an eating disorder like any other, I still struggle. The idea that thin equals healthy, and that fat people are lazy and just need to stop eating so much and just try to be healthy were instilled in me so much while growing up that it's really hard to let go of them. I'll know that my thoughts are really mean and problematic, but ...more
Sarah Churchill
Fantastic. A sort of dark comedy that gives insight into another form of bullying - that of the 'friends' who use and abuse, which the victim ignores because they just want to be accepted and have friends.

The whole premise of this book is so dark and disturbing that it's difficult to explain how normal it seems while reading, and how caught up you get in Butter's predicament. The scene where Butter earns his nickname is one of the most shocking scenes of the book, but also a very important one f
Ylenia
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ylenia by: Sarah Churchill
Shelves: 2015-reads
This book was on my TBR for like a year (at least) and I finally decided to pick it up and read it. Long story short: it's a good book, but not the best.
I wasn't expecting anything from it so I wasn't disappointed but I didn't even feel the "meh" feeling I usually have after finishing a 3 stars book.

Main problem I had with Butter was that I couldn't relate to the main character. I didn't feel connected, didn't feel anything. I was just reading about him and I kind of wanted to finish the book.
Kelly
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5.

Butter's a fat kid. That's something no one would argue with and something he himself identifies with. But he's so alone, and he's sad about being alone. He hates knowing what it is that keeps him alone is that number. Over the last few months, he's made good friends with Anna online -- Anna goes to his school, fits in with the in crowd, and has absolutely no idea the boy she talks to online (who goes by the name JP) is really Butter.

Then one day, Butter decides he's going to stand up for h
Thomas
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Here's my preface: I know some people are naturally heavier than others. I'm aware that some people have medical issues. I know, as cliche as it sounds, that what's on the inside matters much more than what's on the outside.

But Butter was just so frustrating. I don't want to sound insensitive or make it seem like I'm a jerk who hates obese people, but this book had me on the edge. The main character, at 423 pounds, would eat to upset his mom and would fail to take responsibility for his actions
Craig MacLachlan
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Erin Jade Lange has written an astounding, heart provoking, wonderful novel, BUTTER. I read BUTTER in two days and couldn't put it down. The writing is crisp and clean along with the characterization and Erin Lange immersed me into the story so well that at times I forgot I was reading a book!

One of my all time favorite books is WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS. BUTTER deals with real life issues just like in WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS, though on a totally different scale and I now place BUTTER alongside
Matt
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
When lonely outcast 16-year old Butter decides to post a website proclaiming a countdown to his New Years Eve event: "Butter's Last Meal" where he plans to eat himself to death live, he finds that his popularity explodes. Suddenly, the 432-pound Butter finds himself inside of the cool crowd, buds with the jocks, invited to all the parties, and - for the first time - Butter finds he has friends, and the girl of his dreams doesn't seem so unattainable.

But as time goes on the the clock counts down
Ash Rocketship
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
1. I didn't realize this was a young adult novel when I bought it, so I was actually expecting a grossly morbid story devoid of plot and morality, which I was looking forward to. When I realized it was a young adult novel, I knew I was in for something moralistic and terrible. My fault, obviously.

2. I cannot imagine that Erin Jade Lange has ever been fat, known a fat person, or even seen a person who actually weighed 423 pounds.

3. The writing was flat, boring, and sloppy. Sometimes getting thr

Steph Su
Oh, but this book had so much potential! Unfortunately, BUTTER’s casual treatment of its characters’ actions and motivations lessened the quality of what could have been a thought-provoking YA contemporary novel on the highly relevant issues of bullying, obesity, and body image.

The main character, Butter, is a likable guy. Any reader, male or female, who has experienced adolescent insecurities in any form will want to reach out to him, to let him know that he is not alone. Deep down he really is
Natalia
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Por fin le puedo poner nota <3
Sue
I wasn't sure what to think when I started this novel. The premise disturbed and fascinated me, but I had put off reading it for a few months since it had arrived in our library. I should have read it the minute it entered our doors. I finished it in a day and it is occupying a dark corner of my brain, and may do so for some time.

Butter is a morbidly obese sixteen year old on the cusp of entering senior high school. His nickname is the result of a horrifying bullying incident about 5 years befor
Jenni Arndt
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.

A copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Butter was a book that I knew I had to read. As someone who has had eating disorders around her all her life I am always intrigued to see how an author handles the subject. Now, we get to read about anorexia and bulimia all the time, but I have never come across a book that tackles the other end of the eating disorder spectrum. That's right, we finally have a novel about obesity
Anjana
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
JP/Butter is an obese boy in high school with a love for the saxophone and quite obviously, food. Butter's high school life involves him pretty much being ignored by everyone as he's way past the weight to be bullied as the fat kid; most of his classmates just feel sorry for him now.
He's also crushing on a girl from his school called Anna, but she'd never talk to him if she knew who he really was so he uses fake online identity called JP, claiming to be a boy from a nearby high school, and gets
Roxanne
Mar 20, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-get-books
First off:
Kid eating himself to death?
Really?...
I love the idea... but on the internet?
Not so sure anymore.
Second off:
Kid gets encouragement?
Really?
Is he that unpopular they want to see him die in front of a webcam?
How cruel and Sadistic...
This sounds like a kind of bully story that I'll love.
Now I sound like the sadistic one.
But hey if it's about teen angst or something of the sort.
You got me wanting it.
Conclusion:
I want this book. And Butter... I hope you don't want 'fame' that mu
Cory
Jun 26, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Fans of Fat Kid Rules the World
I read the unedited first chapter on AW. I think this will be awesome and I eagerly anticipate it.
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
Brutal y genuina, Butter es una novela sobre el silencio ante el acoso escolar que narra una historia que podría estar pasando en tu propio instituto. Tengo mucha curiosidad por qué otras historias nos tiene preparada la autora, porque ésta ha sido bastante original.
Reseña completa en THE BEST READ YET BLOG
Alicia Siekierski
3,5 stars**

This book was incredibly well written and the structure was great overall. Even though the pace was really fast, for some reason I didn't get as involved in the story as I wished but I think that maybe if I read this story in the past when I was having thoughts similar to Butter's, I would have given this book 5 stars.
Rebecca
Maybe I'll have better luck another time but for now, this isn't really working for me. I liked the representation of binging, obesity, etc. and starting to address important issues, but I struggled with the characters and tone. I was already fed up with the romance.
Ruth
Feb 20, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ludicrous
What the fuhhhh?
Chantelle
SIGNED COPY OF BUTTER UP FOR GRABS!!!! FROM MAY 13-19 I AM HOLDING A GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG!(US only)

The full review can be found here.

Butter was utterly captivating; from the cover, to the blurb, to the first paragraph through to the last. I honestly can't remember ever being so enamoured by one book, which unfortunately makes writing a comprehensive review a lot harder! However, if I could only use one word to describe this novel, it would probably be 'morbid', but let me explain.

"Butter" is a t
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

16-year-old “Butter” pretty much hates his life. He's tipping the scale at over 400 pounds. His only joys in life are food and playing the saxophone. His mother tries to make him feel better by giving him even more food. His father hasn't spoken to him in a very long time. The kids at school treat him as if he's invisible.

Butter's loneliness and pain escalate when an incident at school pushes him to the edge. This is when he decides to
Larry Sedrick
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing trip i just took!!!!!!
Angie
I've been wanting to read Butter forever, and I'm so glad that I finally did. It's heartbreaking, funny, disturbing, cute, and eye-opening. Butter is sixteen and weighs 423 pounds. He eats, and eats, and eats some more despite being told he needs to lose wait. He believes he's a lost cause, so why even bother? It's not like he's picked on at school. He's mostly just ignored, although the kids only ever call him by his nickname. But one day, that changes. He puts himself out there, only to have f ...more
teleri llinos
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to teleri llinos by: Myself
Shelves: five-stars
Helen Stower
Butter by Erin Jade Lange is about an obese boy who sets up a website and claims he will eat himself to death on New Year's Eve and everyone is invited to watch. I had this book on my ‘to-read’ list for some time and was prompted by a young friend to read it after he bought it and said that it was really great. I have to agree, this is a compelling story and I felt worried sick for the protagonist (called Butter) as the plot plummets towards New Year’s Eve.

Just like the clichéd ‘car wreck’ that
Carrie Ardoin
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Life is lonely and hard for 16 year old Butter. He's tipping the scales at over 420 pounds, and the ruthless kids at his high school gave him the unflattering nickname, that unfortunately stuck. The only things that gie him joy in life are playing his saxophone, his online relationship with a girl from his school (who doesn't know the truth about who she's talking to), and of course, eating.

Finally, Butter reaches a breaking point and decides to put up a website, where he proclaims that he will
Eleanor Luhar
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember my friend talking about this book a while ago, but I didn't know anything about it. But then I saw it on Goodreads and decided to check it out of my library.

'Butter' is big. Like, 423 pounds big. He has no friends, unless you count Doc Bean or the Professor.

Despite spending many summers at FitFab - a summer camp for the slightly -ahem- larger population of kids - he just can't seem to shed the excess weight. In fact, all he ever seems to do is gain more.

Butter also has a crush. But he
Katy Noyes
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Everyone calls him Butter. He's so large that he's beyond bullying at school. His dad has stopped talking to him. His mum can't stop cooking him comfort food.

Butter has passed 400lbs. His only pleasures are playing his saxophone in the privacy of his own room as his guilty online relationship with the beautiful Anna, who only knows him as SaxMan. But as everything around him just falls apart, on a whom he decides to create his Last Meal website - where he will select a menu and eat him
Book Review 1 1 Oct 24, 2017 09:50PM
YA Writers and Re...: Butter by Erin Jane Lange ->Start Date: Feb 1st 2014 12 22 Feb 04, 2014 09:39AM
  • Personal Effects
  • Trafficked
  • Santa Claus and Little Sister
  • Touching the Surface
UNOFFICIAL BIO:

author, journalist, obsessive-compulsive list maker.

AWKWARD 3RD-PERSON OFFICIAL BIO:

Erin writes facts by day and fiction by night. As a journalist, she is inspired by current events and real-world issues and uses her writing to explore how those issues impact teenagers.

She is an only child, so she spent a lot of time entertaining herself as a kid. This required her to rely heavily
More about Erin Jade Lange...

“If you just stop expecting perfection from everyone and everything, you might see the good stuff outweighs the bad. And then maybe someday you’ll look in the mirror and see the same thing.” 11 likes
“If you want to stay, I can meet you after the scrimmage. You could come to my house or I could come to yours or we could meet at the library or a coffee shop or..."
Stop talking, asshole.
"Or we could go somewhere with Wi-Fi or somewhere outside or..."
Oh my God, I hate myself right now.”
6 likes