Start by marking “The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #7)

The Lord God Made Them All

(All Creatures Great and Small #7)

The war is over, the RAF uniform has been handed in and James Herriot goes back where he ought to be - at work in the dales around Darrowby.

From the author whose books inspired the BBC series All Creatures Great and Small, this seventh volume of superb memoirs recounts James Herriot's return to Darrowby after the war. Much has changed, but the blunt-spoken Yorkshire
Published 2006 by Pan Macmillan (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord God Made Them All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord God Made Them All

Manybooks
I know that for some readers, James Herriot's later memoirs are seemingly not quite as enjoyable as his earlier stories, but that has really never been the case with and for me, as I for one have ALWAYS found both his earlier and his later veterinarian tales (his remembrances) equally readable and entertaining, equally delightful and often tenderly and emotionally poignant (but with also a critical and satirical eye towards both humanity and our domestic animals, our pets, with the author, with ...more
Negin
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: James Herriot fans and animal lovers
I simply love James Herriots’ heartwarming books.

When my children were small, we read and re-read the children’s version of the Herriot books, a beautifully-illustrated Treasury, which I highly recommend. We all loved the stories, our son especially. Herriot’s descriptions of Yorkshire are so wonderful that he made us want to visit. So a few years ago, on our trip to England, we spent a few nights in Thirsk (known as “Darrowby” in his books) and we visited the Herriot Museum (“The World of Jame
Chana
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Herriot is one of the few authors that I will read repeatedly. I mean I will pick up a copy of one of his books that I have read before and read it again as I know those same stories will again make me laugh and cry and feel positive about the human race. I love animals, the real gift here is making me love people too. My James Herriot books are precious to me.
Anne
If you haven't read these, you are sooooo missing out! It's only $2.99. Invest in your soul. Go get one now.
Brittany
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Herriot never disappoints. If I had to choose one of his books that is the weakest, it would be this one. The stories and characters are not quite as memorable as in his other books, and there are some rather off-topic chapters (more about that in a bit). But even if it is the weakest of the five, it is still a touching, engaging, funny, and perceptive book.

It picks up right where All Things Wise and Wonderful left off, with Herriot coming home from the RAF. It chronicles life post-war, and the picking up of
david
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely memoir by a Scottish veterinary doctor living in Yorkshire.
Valerie Kyriosity
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I was supposed to have devoted my day to Bill Bryson's At Home today, since I've got about 450 pages to get through between now and when my book group meets on Monday, but Christoper Timothy reading James Herriot is just too addicting. Herriot's hundredth birthday was this week, so I had to mark the occasion by indulging in this volume. No regerts! ;-)
Sheila
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dog-books
I read the entire James Herriot series as a teenager, and loved them all. I would recommend them for anyone who loves animals and animal stories.
Sheila Majczan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when my children were young. My middle child loved his books and thus we had the collection.
Natalie
Fives hoove up.
Wow! This book is wellwortten. I love the characters and dialogue.It is interesting to earn about all the advance made in veternary Highly r care over the years. Highly recommended.
Jenny
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very sad to be done with all the James Herriot books! So comforting to listen to.
Pamela Shropshire
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book written by the Yorkshire veterinary surgeon, James Herriot (real name: Alf Wight). Most of the stories - like the birth of his daughter - took place just after the end of WW2. An exception, is the recounting of him sailing about a cattle ship with a cargo of pedigree sheep bound for the USSR.

Although it never occurred to me previously, I was struck by the mention of German soldiers/sailors that he encountered. The last book was set during WW2 and yet merely 20 years later,
Chris
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Of the 4 books that I have read in the All Creatures series, this one was by far the weakest. The stories don't have the same charm as his first 2 books. One of the things that detracts from this one is the telling of his trip to Russia. He alternates chapters, moving from his Russia adventure in one chapter back to Darrowby in the next, which disrupts the overall flow. The Russia story-line is very mediocre - no humor or charm in it at all. Plus, this story-line randomly switches between past a ...more
Lynne Stringer
I think this was the least of all the James Herriot books, but was still enjoyable in its own right. There was no doubt he knew how to tell a story in a wonderfully engaging manner.
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read as audio book.
Jakob Mills
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personal Response: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I thought that it was very well written and was very relatable. It was a very relaxed and warm novel. It was very easy to feel as though you were with the author throughout the book because of how well he was able to describe each scene from only memory. It sometimes felt like he was sitting next to the reader telling them each of these stories. I think that this was a very good book.

Summary: The book starts off with the author start
Jenny
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic group of stories James Herriot shares in this collection. Best of all, you don’t have to read them straight through. Each one stands independently, with the exception of his travel chapters. Pick up and read when and where you like. Each chapter takes only 10-20 minutes to read. Perfect leisure reading with big rewards for the spirit, both laughter and tears to be expected.

I love the beginning story describing the 7 gates of hell Herriot had to pass through before he
Carol
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved these books from the first one I picked up. If I wasn't laughing out loud in a room all by myself, I was mopping up the tears from a very touching experience I read about. I am a succor for a good animal story. This is an absolutely delightful James Herriot. He's a master storyteller. This book is just a collection of experiences from when he was a vet, and it was interesting as well as hilarious. My husband and I just started watching the BBC Series provided by Netflix. This has br ...more
Anwen
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The joy of Herriot's writing is that he can bring the reader to laughter or tears, effortlessly. In the same way, whilst the focus remains on his animal patients, he has an abiding and clear-eyed affection for the humans he encounters too. Every budding writer should be made to read his prose to realise that economy and richness can go hand in hand to devestatingly good effect. Please read!
Jennybeast
I remember my dad giving me these books for a birthday or xmas fairly early on, and I've loved them and returned to them ever since. Just re-listened to the excellent audio book version. _- love the accents, the humor, the wonderful setting, and the compassion to animals. Great storytelling.
Primadonna
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full with emotions. Sometimes, after reading a chapter, I found my eyes wet, and I gazed at nothing for a while. Sometimes, it made me chuckle and even laugh.

Looking at the world through Herriot's eyes, I sigh and wish that things would continue to be beautiful and bright.
Tanya W
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
As usual the gamut of emotions, laughter, joy, sadness, and so forth. James Herriott is an excellent writer. There aren't that many books I consider worth owning, but after reading James Herriot's first book, I purchased all his books. They are all a joy to read.
T
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished what I think may actually be the last of the complete set of the major James Herriot books, and it was a pleasure to be back in his world. Charming, thought provoking, laugh-out-loud funny at times, soothing in a funny way, and just overall fun. He has such a powerful way of taking joy in such a wide spread of experiences and people, and his sharing of this leaves one with no doubt that he is a truly masterful storyteller, with the added shift that in this book he's now a father ...more
Will A
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Herriot could really write short stories. Really well structured, always with a point and a pay-off, great to listen to on audio on a road-trip, and hilarious in the double entendres I can only presume he didn't realise he was writing. We found this to read, it being the only secular book (unwittingly?) in a Mennonite Airbnb in southern Indiana!
Emma Rose Ribbons
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy
Oh how wonderful! I'll miss that so much and the end was so lovely as Herriot reflects back on his life. I enjoyed the parts in Turkey, too, it was a nice change of scenery. Most definitely books I'll reread over and over.
Gretchen
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Genuine Delight

Each story brings a sense of warmth and serenity that only picturing the English countryside can bring. What a genuine love of animals and people this gentle veterinarian had! And what a blessing to makes his rounds with him through his beautiful words.
P.S. Winn
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like animals, you ave to pick up this book or one of the many others written by a veterinarian who knows his stuff.
Judy
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I'm a sucker for animal stories and these will make you laugh and make you cry. Good reading.
Boots
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book. Very interesting. Is written as a series of stories or vignettes, so is easy to read in spurts. (I don't have to stay up all night to see what happens.) But I stay up all night anyway to read 'just one more story...'
2015 Reading Chal...: The Lord God Made Them All by James Herriot 2 13 Mar 22, 2015 10:20AM

• Forever Free: Elsa's Pride (Story of Elsa, #3)
  • Beasts in My Belfry
  • Bloody Bloody Apple
  • A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic
  • The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil
  • Scottish Girls About Town
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
  • Dog Days: Dispatches from Bedlam Farm
  • Chicken Every Sunday: My Life with Mother's Boarders
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon

All Creatures Great and Small (8 books)
  • If Only They Could Talk
  • It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
  • Let Sleeping Vets Lie
  • Vet in Harness
  • Vets Might Fly
  • Vet in a Spin
  • Every Living Thing  (All Creatures Great and Small, #5)
“Parents are never sure that they have done the right thing. They can only do what they think is right.” 0 likes
“Maybe ye don’t know it, Mr. Herriot, but this is the best time of your life.’ ‘Do you think so?’ ‘Aye, there’s no doubt about it. When your children are young and growin’ up around ye—that’s when it’s best. It’s the same for everybody, only a lot o’ folk don’t know it and a lot find out when it’s too late. It doesn’t last long, you know.” 0 likes