Start by marking “Raja Gidh / راجه گدھ” as Want to Read:
Raja Gidh / راجه گدھ

Raja Gidh / راجه گدھ

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,720 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Raja Gidh (Urdu: راجه گدھ) by Bano Qudsia is one of the most widely read and acclaimed Urdu novels. Gidh is the Urdu word for a vulture and Raja is a Hindi synonym for king. The name anticipates the kingdom of vultures. In fact, parallel to the main plot of the novel, an allegorical story of such a kingdom is narrated. The metaphor of the vulture as an animal feeding mostl ...more
Published 2015 by Sang-e-Meel Publications (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Raja Gidh / راجه گدھ, please sign up.

Abubakar Mehdi
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Bano Qudsia belongs to the post-independence scholars, poets and intellectuals who filled the void created by separation of Urdu from its birthplace. The tradition of novel in Urdu is not as strong as compared to that of Afsaana (short story). From Prem Chand to Manto, there is a huge number of short story writers who gifted urdu literature with gems of Afsaana nigari, but unfortunately, apart from some isolated efforts the trend of novel writing, to my limited knowledge, has been stagnated for ...more
Saima
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book open many windows to ones inside world....must read ...i read it many many times...met with the writer n had more understanding of this book...
Amna
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urdu, favorites
I don't know why we no longer have writers like Bano Qudsiyah and novels like raja gidh. We have done something seriously wrong with our literature. Now every novel has a same story line of a spoiled rich boy falling in love with a religious girl and himself turning into a "molvi" as a result. Almost every novel follows a religious theme with a super pious girl who knows nothing about the world. I mean why are we turning into such religion snobs. I do not have anything against religion, but not ...more
Sara Saif
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: its-a-tie
This was so not what I expected. It was shocking and sickening.
It’s one of those books I don’t consider myself capable of reviewing critically so I’ll just stick to mentioning what I felt while reading it.

I was surprised at the direction it took, the sensitive issues it tackled and how it laid bare the struggles and psyche of men and women of all classes. People like me live in a cocoon of safety and blissful ignorance and like to pretend that there is nothing wrong with the world. Raja Gidh was

Anum
I bought this book at a literary festival that was held in Islamabad thinking I should start reading more Urdu books to improve linguistically in the language. I did not for a second believe that this book was going to be anything more than your average Urdu novel: an amalgam of religious philosophy and romance. I was horribly mistaken.

“Raja Gidh” (Prince of the Vultures) is not a story but it is an experiment in philosophy. It is a journey through the minds of people all at differing levels of
Abdullah Khalid
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Original rating : 2.5/ 5

This book might be a very good book for a lot of people . Many of my friends loved it. But I couldn't relate myself to it at all , so I guess it wasn't meant for me.

The concept of halal and haram is good.

One thing I didn't like was the way she described religious people. Like she kept describing the beauty of Seemin but when it came to her religious class fellows she talked about them as some forbidden species.

As far as I think , this all started from that first introd
Tariq Mahmood
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pakistan, philosophy
Quality read, best ever novel written in Urdu ever. Must read for all Urdu readers, especially students. This novel is a thought provoker just like the Alchemist of Paulo Caulho, which leaves a lasting impression on the reader. In my case there was considerable turmoil, excitement, desire and a strong longing for the unknown. I have to read this novel once every year to reinvigorate myself.....
Hassan
Feb 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There must B a GIDH in u 2 understand RAJA GIDH. . .
Humera gull
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urdu, classic
Raja Gidh, a phenomenal and classical novel written by Bano Qudsia . This novel strongly reflects on the negatives points of our society today. If only we can understand the concept and adverse effects of Rizq-e- haram and learn to strongly believe in Allah and the fate decided by him , we are likely to prosper as a good Muslim and a perfect member of society. I strongly recommend this novel to all and lot of thanks to Bano Qudsia for such a great contribution to Urdu literature.
aiman.
Undoubtedly one of the best books in Urdu literature yet I found it little disturbing
Aiman
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
from the iconic beginning to the most memorable of endings.no book induces the same feeling as Raja gidh.unforgettable characters .great plot .an epic depiction of human nature and love.though not many will grasp its meaning much.as i believe its not meant for everyone :)
soul
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wish i could give more stars to this book!
Its a master piece in urdu literature
Madiha J Bookblogger
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a very Inspirational psycological and philosophical novel. It had a great message about the concept of Haraam (forbidden) and Halaal (granted) behind its story. For those who can interpret this message, its recommendation. For others it might be a common dull boring story. I read it around 5 years ago and still I feel this story is somewhere with me in my head, in my life. It is a great book. No doubt writers like Banu Qudsia, Ashfaq Ahmed are great assets for our youth's character-buildi ...more
Hamid Raza
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Hate me for my review but I don't agree with almost half of the things in the novel. The story is so disturbing and dull, maybe that's what the novel is about. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.. At all.
Sana
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: excellent-reads
Being a complex novel, its primary diegesis concerns the struggle of its main character, Qayum, while its secondary diegesis deals with expulsion of vultures from kingdom of birds. Thus while Qayum goes through a variety of stages of self-seeking, the secondary plot describes the trial of vultures.
The main plot seeks to unravel the mystery of human madness. Qudsia suggests that two kinds of human madness exist: the constructive and the destructive, and it is the wisdom to know the difference bet
Rawail Naeem
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Much hyped, but an overall disappointing read. This is my third urdu novel so consider it a rookie's review. The novel seeks to unravel the mystery of human madness in which there are two forms, either constructive madness or destructive madness. What drives the humankind to insanity? Ishq la-hasil, kabhi na khatam honay wali justujo yan mout ki aagahi?These are basic pillars around which the story rotates.

Ubaid Talpur
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
اگر چے یی کتاب ١٩٨١ میں پہلی بار چھپی اور میں اسکا ٣١واں ایڈیشن پڑھ رہا ہوں پر میں یہ محسو س کرہا ہوں ک یہ اسی دور ٢٠١٤ کی لے ہی لکھی گئی ہو آپا با نو قدسیہ نے اس کتاب میں اس کامل سے رنگ بھرے ہیں کہ پڑھنے والا دنگ رہ جاتا ہے اس میں چھو تے بچے سے لیکر بورھے آدمی تک کی زندگی کو بہت خوبصورتی سے بیان کیا گیا ہے اس میں سائنس سے لیکر تصوف تک انسان کیا ہے اور کیا ہونا چاہیے کو بہت عمدہ انداز میں سمجھا یا گیا ہے اس میں منطقی باتین بھی ہیں اور سادہ راستے بھی ہیں کہنے کو تو یہ ناول ہے پر اس میں تقریبن انس ...more
Rafia Komal
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Raja gidh is an amazaing but heavy philosophical text. Some words gave me goose bumps. I'll read this book again after gaining more wordly experience to grasp the deeper meaning!
P.S. Thanks to bano qudsia for enriching urdu literature!
Ayesha U
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is a totally enthralling journey of three class fellows, of unrequited love, desire and lust. If you are a fan of Urdu literature then don't miss it.
Madiha Qadir
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Much hyped, but an overall disappointing read. The novel seeks to unravel the mystery of human madness in which there are two forms, either constructive madness or destructive madness. What drives the humankind to insanity?

The only part that I fell in love with is how she introduced the Kingdom of Birds to convey all these complex theories and discussions as they hold a meeting to expel 'Gidhs' from their jungle on the account of incurring madness from feeding on human corpses. The relation is
Namoos Qasmi
May 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not recommended
Shelves: 2016
Out of dozens of books I read in my life, this is the only book that gave me nothing. Spiritually, emotionally, mentally, absolutely nothing. All characters of this book are negative, selfish and unlucky.
The most important aspect of this book is the theory that's main idea is "Haraam rizq spreads insanity in a person and in his next generations". This theory is agreeable only upto this point that it can spread insanity in a person that earns Haraam rizq or is involved in Haraam activities, but h
Saqib Ali
May 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody, by any means
Recommended to Saqib by: a friend who had little intellectual capability
One of the many disappointing Urdu novels that are written with total lack of a plot.
I got fascinated with the beginning description of the animal kingdom but what followed was total misery, misery for the reader. The most boring description of events, cliched characters (students of philosophy department in Punjab University) dull dialogues, it seemed like a revenge from the reader.

Unfortunately, it seems like she plunged into novel writing without having a narrative long enough to fill 300+
Asif
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Personal search has always been the area of interest in East. This novel best describes the journey and human behavior. Reasons, quest, rationales, multiple personalities and emcompassing fight between right and wrong to take charge/control. Love, despair and soul searching. Excellent read.
Rao Sarfaraz
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book has really got very deep philosophy of life and doings ang genetic habbits transfer ..... how man starts loving GOD starting from a human love....
so do read awsome book.
Yusra Hussain
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a book with so deep a meaning, it's going to take a while for you to absorb it. It shows the ugly vulturous nature of humans, we all are vultures here, feeding at our forbidden desires. What a strange species we are!
This book is about the never ending search of freedom, the search of death, the fear of death and the madness of it all.

A book that holds meaning, a lot of meaning.
Fraz
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book when I was in 9th standard some 8 years ago, This is the book that unhooked me from
kids story books and brought me to drown in the ocean of actual literature.
would definitely give it a re-read.
Pakistan
classic.....
Bushra Khan
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would only say one thing about it " worth reading" truly opened the shameful realities of human nature by depicting it as bird.
Sadaf
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sadaf by: Rashid Aman
Shelves: urdu, favorites, fiction
One of the best books I'v ever read.
Raja Gidh discussed! 3 19 Apr 28, 2018 01:48AM
  • Alipur ka Ailee / علی پور کا ایلی
  • Zaviya 3 / زاویہ ٣
  • Shahabnama / شہاب نامہ
  • Nuskha ha-e Wafa / نسخہ ہائے وفا
  • Urdu Ki Akhri Kitaab / اردو کی آخری کتاب
  • River of Fire: Aag Ka Darya
  • Patras Kay Mazameen / پطرس کے مضامین
  • پیر کامل  (Peer-e-Kamil, #1)
  • Undlas Main Ajnabi / اندلس میں اجنبی
  • Udaas Naslain / اُداس نسلیں
  • Manto Nama / منٹو نامہ
  • Shikwa and Jawab-i-Shikwa: Iqbal's Dialogue with Allah
  • Mushaf / مصحف
Bano Qudsia (Punjabi, Urdu: بانو قدسیه) was a writer, intellectual, playwright and spiritualist from Pakistan who wrote Urdu novels and short stories regarded among the best Urdu novelists and short story writers of modern times. She was best known for her novel Raja Gidh. She wrote for television and stage in both the Urdu and Punjabi languages. Bano Qudsia was recognized as a trendsetter in the ...more
More about Bano Qudsia

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“Taalim-o-tadrees ki barhi bad naseebi yeh hai ky aam ustaad amuman oast darjay ka shakhs hota hai aur woh zehni, jismani aur jazbaati tor per lakiir key fakiir qisam ki batin sochta hai. Isy zabt-o-nazam sy middle calss logo sy aur parhaku talbah ko parhany sy muhabbat hoti hai. Lykin sara din woh barhi qadar awar shakhsieto aur in ky karnaamo ki misalen dyta hai. Aysy log jinhuny kabhi mawshray ky saath mutabqat na ki. aam tareen hoty hoy woh aysy logo ki taalim-e-aam kerta hai jin ki satah per woh soch bhi nahi sakta , jin ki satah per woh soch bhi nahi sakta. Is ka apna kirdaar in bechu ko aam banany per masar rehta hai aur iski taalim bechu ko khaas banany per uksati hai. School sy bhaag jany waly bechu ki jagah school mai nahi hoti lykin inhi baaghi bechu ko bench per kharha ker ky in azeem shakhsieto ki rosahn misalen di jati hain jo khud school sy bhagy hoty hyn. Woh bechu ko geniouses ki kitaaben padha ker aam bnany ki koshish kerta hai aur yehi taalim ka sub sy barha almiyah hy." Bano Qudsia” 15 likes
“Mohabat ki khatir to admi suli charta rahe, marta rahe, khapta rahe, par kisi ki ana ko mota karne k liye koi kab tak apni jaan mare?” 5 likes