Start by marking “Secret Oral Teachings in Tibetan Buddhist Sects” as Want to Read:
Secret Oral Teachings in Tibetan Buddhist Sects

Secret Oral Teachings in Tibetan Buddhist Sects

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This is an account of the Madhyamika (Middle Way) school of Buddhism, a method of mediation and enlightenment that was developed by the great Indian teacher Nagarjuna. In a collaboration between the Frenchwoman Alexandra David-Neel and her friend, the Tibetan lama Aphur Yongden, these teaching are presented clearly and elegantly, intended for the layman who seeks a way to ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 128 pages
Published 1967 by City Lights Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Oral Teachings in Tibetan Buddhist Sects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Oral Teachings in Tibetan Buddhist Sects

Meg
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This woman is fascinating. Published in the 50s (?), this book was an early peek into the deeper tenets of Tibetan Buddhism. ADN incorporates a great deal of her own (western) perspective to give the reader some context, and she is clearly very well read in various schools of Buddhist thought, since she makes a number of comparisons between them.

I thought this would be a tough read, but it really wasn't. (To me anyway) it felt very accessible.
joyce
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A must read for anyone interested in Tibetan mysticism, as are all of Alexandra David-Neel's books.
Katerina
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Filozoficky zaklad tibetskeho buddhismu. O podstate sveta, cloveka a o tom jak je/sebe vnimame, se toho napsalo dost. Cetla jsem toho sice zlomek, ale tohle je hodne zajimave.
Craig Werner
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A clear useful introduction to Tibetan Buddhism from a woman who helped introduce the tradition to the West. Like most good books on Buddhism, there's nothing here that will surprise anyone familiar with the world view. But I'm glad I read it in part because of a vocabulary that will seem somewhat archaic to 21st century readers; for example, references to the "yellow races." As long as you can grant the realities of history, that's not a problem since the slight jar forces you to focus on the c ...more
Raechelle Thomas
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book had bee sitting on the shelf for quite some time-and then a couple weeks ago I read the name of the author w/reference to this specific book twice in two days from two completely unrelated sources; I figured it was time to read the book.

I really enjoyed it-though I got lost a tad in some of the middle part-but it just really made me think and contemplate. I'm sure I will read it a couple more times over the next few years; when the time is right the middle part will make sense.
Carolyn Anne
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I enjoyed this book so much that I am reading it for the second time THIS WEEK! I normally read with a pencil in hand and underline as I go, but this time I didn't have a pencil and was too engrossed to get up and find one...so I devoured the book and am now starting over with a pencil.
It's deep, discussing the nature of reality, the relationship between the senses and reality, and the nature of the ego. A great read for those interested in Buddhist philosophy.
Ray Johns
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alexandra David -Neel 's small book details in vivid description her effort to win the confidence of Tibetan Buddhist monks that she was honest in her search for the miraculous and the ancient techniques of meditation . Extraordinary chronicle of her journey .
David
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating.
Lilly Miriam
Jun 08, 2010 rated it liked it
First published in Calcutta in 1964.
Anca Vidolman
  • The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon
  • Master Dogen's Shobogenzo
  • The Temple of Man: Apet of the South at Luxor
  • Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book
  • The Diamond That Cuts Through Illusion: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra
  • Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines
  • An Outline of Esoteric Science: (Cw 13)
  • The Path of Purification: Visuddhimagga
  • Buddhism After Patriarchy: A Feminist History, Analysis, and Reconstruction of Buddhism
  • Zen and the Birds of Appetite
  • Przez kraj ludzi, zwierząt i bogów
  • The Doctrine of Awakening: The Attainment of Self-Mastery According to the Earliest Buddhist Texts
  • The Book of Not Knowing: Exploring the True Nature of Self, Mind, and Consciousness
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching
  • The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch
  • Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice
  • Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing
Alexandra David-Néel (October 24, 1868 - September 8, 1969) was a French explorer, anarchist, spiritualist, Buddhist and writer. She is most known for her visit to the forbidden (to foreigners) city of Lhasa, capital of Tibet (1924). She was born in Paris, France and died in Digne, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence. She wrote more than 30 books, about Eastern religion, philosophy, and her travels. Her well- ...more
More about Alexandra David-Néel...