Start by marking “Seek Me with All Your Heart” as Want to Read:
Seek Me with All Your Heart

Seek Me with All Your Heart (Land of Canaan #1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  1,921 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
What would cause the Amish to move to Colorado, leaving family and friends behind?

Some Amish are making the trek to Colorado for cheaper land. Others are fleeing strict bishops with long memories.

For Emily Detweiler and her family, the move is more personal. Tragedy struck Emily in Ohio, shaking loose everything she believed was firm, including her faith. Her family took t
Published October 2nd 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Seek Me with All Your Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seek Me with All Your Heart

Emily
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I can truly say that I am impressed! Seek Me With All Your Heart was the first Amish book I've ever picked up. And it won't be the last! Beth Wiseman did an amazing job with this book! I love how she dealt with some issues that aren't the norm for Christian fiction. Bit don't get me wrong, she still kept it appropriate! For some reason I had in my mind that all Amish fiction was lame and cheesy. Boy oh boy, I was wrong! What an awesome read. I just loved it! I completely fell in love with the ch ...more
Shari Turner
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book! This book shows how important communication is in a family. Seeking God and keeping our eyes on Him is a reoccuring theme. We are all unworthy, but we should not forget how much God loves us and has given for us. Also this book reminds us of how we cannot run away from the past, but must deal with it. We all need friends and this book brings this out. I would highly recommend this book.
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: SEEK ME WITH ALL YOUR HEART
Author: Beth Wiseman
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
October 2010
ISBN: 978-1-59554-824-5
Genre: Inspirational/Amish

Emily Detweiler and her family are looking for a new beginning. They have joined the Amish moving west to Colorado. The climate in Colorado is very different than what they are used to in Ohio, so to make ends meet, Emily is working at a salvage store while her father and brother install solar panels. Everything is going well until an ill-tempered Amish man w
Frances Chrisman
Seek Me with All Your Heart

This story was a great one. It told of fear, heartaches, friendship and finding and believing in our wonderful God. I found it hard to put the book down.
Mimi
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best books i have ever read
Pebbles Montoya
Seek Me with all your Heart by Brenda Wiseman

Reviewed for: Mommykins, who loves her some Amish/Inspirational/Bible-Toting Romances, but thought this was just the outside of enough.

Disclaimer: SPOILERS! Like whoa, majorly, and totally filling the ante room of yon review :)

Warning: this book review is rated G. It is also probably filled with plot inaccuracies due to skimming and boredom (but this may be the fault of the author, she was kind of random). No offense is intended towards the author, o
Molly Cline
My first impression after reading-listening to this is "Wow" As the author did such a fabulous job at not only having all her characters-families learn to "Seek me with all your Heart" but reminding the reader that they can do it regardless of the situations within their lives. I actually would give this a 4 1/2 star but there isn't such rating. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars (which I don't very often) is two of the characters past "haunts" them and the reader doesn't figure out-learn o ...more
Bonnie
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I read a lot of Amish fiction, but have never read anything written by Beth Wiseman so it took me a little time to become used to her writing style. There were some things in this book that made me question its authenticity at first and at times I found the voices she gave to her characters to be a little modern to really connect with them as Amish. I'm not saying that she did anything wrong here, it really was a lovely story, it was just not what I expected out of the gate. Once I got used to h ...more
Mom
Was pleasantly surprised when I started to read this series that it followed the series of Plain Perfect. Lillian and Samuel Stoltzfus whose son David had a kidney transplant moved to Colorado in the 5th book of that series. This series picked up with them living in Colorado in the land of Canaan. Love Amish books by this author. Glad David changed his mind about going back to Lancaster County. He was so caring and kind to Emily - loved it when he kissed her scar on her face and told her that wh ...more
Rachel Barr
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two families from 2 different communities, but the same Amish faith.. find themselves in the same new small community.

Emily is a young girl, holding a dark secret. Her family only knows part of it.. so she thought..she felt that she was tainted.. that no one would want her

David- is a young man that hold his own secret.. but is it really as he thinks...Can he really have a family..

As the 2 grow to know each other.. both their secrets come out.. and both realize that what they fear, does not hav
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in the wrong order of the timeline of books. It is sandwiched in between book #4 and book #5 of the Daughters of the Promise series, so I ended up finding out two pieces of information that I didn't want to know yet when I read book #5 first. So, in order to keep it all in the proper timeline, read book #1-4 of the Daughters of the Promise series, then read this book, #1 in The Land of Caanan series. Ater this book, go back to book #5 of the Daughters of the Promise series, then ...more
Meagan
Inspirational fiction isn't really my thing, but my book club likes it. So, I won't spend too much time discussing the plot and my (predictably) indifferent reaction to it. What I will say is that having the dialogue peppered with Pennsylvania Dutch was driving me up a wall! Every other word was gut and daed and ya, and all it did was jerk me right out of a story I was barely in to begin with and make me want to whack someone over the head with a blunt object.

End rant.
Bekah
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Stoltzfus is confused why his family ever left Pennsylvania for an unfamiliar place. But he's determined to get back to Lancaster someday in the future.

Emily Detweiler is a woman with a troubled past. She doesn't trust men after a certain incident and wonders if she'll ever trust again.

They are two young adults who wonder what the Lord has in store for them as they learn lessons along the way.

I enjoyed this book, it was a good read.

I recommend this book to ages 16 and up.
Kay
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad I searched out a follow up to one of Wiseman's earlier books of Daughters of the Promised Land. I wanted to know about David and his family and was very pleased to find them in Colorado making a new beginning. Each of the Amish journeys is so worth the travel. I would feel so at home with these wonderful people. Always so many wonderful lessons learned in all of Beth Wiseman's stories.
Kristine Hansen
Every once in a while I get in the mood for a bit of Amish romance (don't tell anyone). I picked up this one because of the Colorado setting.

While I liked this book, there were so many plot lines that I sometimes got lost. I also felt like I wasn't really experiencing the romance between Emily and David though I enjoyed their interactions. Overall this is a solid book, but with a little too much going on. I liked it all the same and will seek out the next one in the series.
Rachel
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish-fiction
Unfortunately, the Kindle version of this book had an inordinate number of typographical distractions. Entire pages were in italics, and in other places parts of the edits were included within the text. It was very frustrating.

As for the story, Wiseman is a skilled author, and I enjoyed her method of weaving scriptural truth into a modern Amish story. I look forward to reading more of the "Canaan" series, but will hope that the type-setting for Kindle is done better.
Colette
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
A continuation of the story of the people we met in the "daughters of the promise" novels as the author follows those that moved to Colorado. They arrive to find their houses in need of much repair and much to be done. They meet other families that have moved from Ohio and David becomes interested in a young woman but both have their own reasons not to listen to their hearts. I have enjoyed reading Beth Wiseman's Amish novels and find the stories to be relaxing and heart warming.
Michelle
This is much different than most Amish romances. The female protagonist was assaulted and raped by an Amish boy before the book began (you find this out in the first chapter, so it's not really a spoiler). The male protagonist has reasons of his own to fight getting involved with someone. It really wasn't what I've come to expect from an Amish romance. That is fine except I chose it to take a break from my usual reads and to read something predominantly pleasant and calm.
Amy
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really truly liked this story. So very sweet. David has grown to be a wonderful young man. I just love how the characters persevere through the testings of their faith. Such an uplifting story/stories within this book. I am hoping the library has the second book in so I can check it out today :).
Linda Bourg
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I absolutly loved this book. Such a heartwarming story. The lines of communication had been crossed for many of the characters, but each had to Seek God with all their Heart as He led them to places of forgiveness, healing, faith, truth and love. I highly recommend this book if you haven't read it yet. I look forward to the next book in th series.
Paula
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend. From page one, I was totally engulfed in it. I loved the story and the characters and I love how Miss Wiseman painted the scene of Amish living. This is a good book that was a quick read for me and one that has made me feel like a better person for having read it.
Karen Carmody
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Daughter's of Promise series it was fun to read the "behind the scene" things that were happening in that series. The Land of Canaan series lets me find out what was going on with those family members that had moved away. The struggles with healing and love are so endearing. I can't wait to get started on the next book.
Kate
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

It was sweet, sad, and inspiring.

Spoilers.....

I am so glad in the end she spoke up and got together with her man.

I am glad that Levi learned to forgive himself.

And Uncle Ian is a meany head and I think that he should be the one not allowed to marry instead of Katie-Ann.
Megan Rang
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has earned a place in my favorite books! It has so many story parts that made me laugh and want to cry. The characters were fantastic. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes Amish stories and also anyone who likes "feel good" stories. I can't wait to start the next one in the series.
Barbara Jean Barber
A GREAT AMISH FICTION

Held my interest throughout the book. I had a very hard time putting it down. I would highly recommend this book. This is the first book I have read by this author.
Beverly
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down....It's that good however the storyline of Lillian and her family starts in the Plain series before they move to Colorado..You don't have to read it first to enjoy the story this is just FYI...
Stephanie
This book was a good read and focused on God's will, which is a strong belief among the Amish. However, I do not believe that God wills evil like the rape in this book for us. God walks through it and brings good out of it, but does not will evil.
Becky
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Beth Wiseman is one of my favorite authors. She does a great job telling a story, and her books are hard to put down. I liked Emily's character. I also liked the family dynamics.
Suzanne
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a warm and sweet read. Some parts in this book made me laugh, and some parts made me cry.
Cheryal
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
Really good book. I couldnt put it down. It wasnt as authentic Amish as it nshould have been but still a fun book.i am going to check and see if therenis a book 2.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Aug 20, 2015 11:32AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #118 - Seek Me With All Your Heart 1 1 Aug 11, 2014 11:43AM
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • Abigail's New Hope (Wayne County, #1)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • The Caregiver (Families of Honor, #1)
  • Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1)
  • The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth, #1)
  • Lydia's Charm
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • A Wedding Quilt for Ella (Little Valley, #1)
  • The Amish Midwife
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
"I wish I had the time to review books and chat with you here, but my writing deadlines just don't allow it. Please like my Fans of Beth Wiseman Page on Facebook where I try to post any news and interact with readers."
Beth is the best-selling and award winning author of the Daughters of the Promise series - Plain Perfect, Plain Pursuit, Plain Promise, Plain Paradise, and Plain Proposal. She is co
More about Beth Wiseman...

Land of Canaan (3 books)
  • The Wonder of Your Love (Land of Canaan #2)
  • His Love Endures Forever (Land of Canaan #3)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
  • How to Love
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
“Fear, worry, and anger. All emotions that blocked a man from hearing God.” 1 likes
“Dear Lord, bless this food before us, bless the days ahead of us, and bless all who cross in front of us or behind us, as we all make our way to You. Aamen.” 1 likes