Start by marking “The Insider's Guide to the Colleges, 2011: Students on Campus Tell You What You Really Want to Know” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
For more than thirty-five years, The Insider's Guide to the Colleges has been the favorite resource of high school students across the country because it is the only comprehensive college reference researched and written by students for students. In interviews with hundreds of peers on campuses from New York to Hawaii and Florida to Alaska, our writers have sought out the ...more
ebook, 37th Edition, 1024 pages
Published June 22nd 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published December 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Insider's Guide to the Colleges, 2011, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Insider's Guide to the Colleges, 2011

ThinkingCollege
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like reading what Students have to say about a college. This book is a little old, but still interesting.
You can't just read just one review. Reading multiple reviews of multiple colleges is how you really get a feel for what students are looking at how they characterize different aspects of the colleges.

For instance, reading some of these reviews prior to going on some college visits could help you formulate some more probing questions to ask once you are there.

Parisa Vaziri
Overall, I found this book to be very interesting and useful for giving me an idea of universities I could consider later on. Since I will have to apply to colleges and figure out what I'm interested in, I must get a head start and figure out which universities give me the best options of what I want to study. I liked the fact that for each university, it said what to expect, what to bring, and what you should do by the time you graduate. When I'm a senior, I will definitely look at this book ag ...more
MaryBeth Donnelly
Sep 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gives an inside few of a select number of colleges, and it interesting to read. There's not much difference between this and the 2007 version. Helpful when you are looking for a more in-depth view of a particular college.
Paula Barksdale
I am a college counselor and this used to be my go-to book. However, it's gone way downhill. The reviews I've read since receiving it today are pretty lame. I've found inaccuracies, biases, and generally weak writing. I'd use www.collegeprowler.com instead.
Alexandra
This is pretty helpful to give you a feel for the campus, has a lot of good stats and info from the students themselves. It has a ton of schools in every state but not all colleges are represented so only part of the book was helpful to me.
Steven
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was extremely helpful in getting a good idea of what a certain school is all about. I read a review of a school and then I visited shortly after and felt it was a perfect description of the school.
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in high school
Recommended to Sarah by: Wowbrary
Useful, but a repetition of what I've already read online at places like CollegeProwler. They did tend to go a tad more in-depth, though, and obviously put an enormous amount of effort into it.
Joy
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need to read when you've narrowed down colleges
Matthew Sisserson