Start by marking “On Truth and Untruth: Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
On Truth and Untruth: Selected Writings

On Truth and Untruth: Selected Writings

“We continue to live within the intellectual shadow cast by Nietzsche.” —New York Times Book Review

Best known for his seminal works on religion, morality, existentialism, and contemporary culture, such as The Birth of Tragedy and Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche focuses his penetrating insight on assessing the nature of truth in this concise and highly readable
Published November 9th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about On Truth and Untruth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Truth and Untruth

Start your review of On Truth and Untruth: Selected Writings
Michael Kress
Some reviews on here have complained that the excerpts in this book would be more useful in their original context. While I understand the sentiment, I believe that the translator has strategically arranged these excerpts in a way that is easy to understand and is faithful to Friedrich Nietzsche's message. (I know that the author is often misunderstood.) So kudos to the translator, Taylor Carman.

It's a great introduction to Nietzsche's philosophy. This was the first book that I read by him, and
David
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
As difficult as I expected, but in a good way. I expected this volume to be a good introduction to Nietzsche and was not disappointed. I'm looking forward to more!
Rosa
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Afirma Nietzsche que no hay en el hombre un verdadero interés por la verdad sino sólo por las consecuencias que de ella se derivan. Pero entonces cabe preguntarse si Nietzsche sostiene “de verdad” semejante tesis o si nada más está ya previendo las consecuencias que se seguirán de ello. Porque si no mantiene “de verdad” lo que dice, para qué continuar leyendo.

Más adelante sigue diciendo que “las verdades son ilusiones cuyo carácter de ilusiones se ha olvidado, metáforas que han perdido su cuño…”
Michael Benoit
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God damn this boy str8 W I L D
Roof Beam Reader (Adam)
"Whatever can be thought must surely be a fiction."
Cingashe Nogaya
It is really stretching me, i have always been intrigued by Nietzsche whom i have only been exposed to superficially, its takes some getting used to.
Cameron
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably the most fun I've ever had reading philosophy - especially the segments from The Will To Power - but overall it was terse. Definitely excited to read his full length stuff now.
Vivian Zhang
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
While most of the book stands very strong alone, I felt a huge lack of context for some of the passages. I wish I had read one of the works in full first so that I could know what this book selected from it. Nevertheless, this served as a good introduction and I now know what Nietzsche I want to read next!

"Every concept arises by means of the equating of the unequal. Just as certain as it is that no one leaf is exactly the same as any other, so, too, it is certain that the concept of leaf is
Peter K.
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty standard Nietzsche. Useful really only for the first two essays ("On the Pathos of Truth" and "On Truth and Lies in a Nonmoral Sense") which aren't easily found on their own physically. I skipped over the selections since I'd rather read them within the context of the larger works from which they're drawn.

OTLNMS is by far the most interesting of the two essays because of it's importance for what would go on to become Postmodern thought. The consideration of language not as something that
Emily Hughes
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I read of truth and lies in a non-moral sense about 7 times and I felt he was saying shit i've thought about many times just explaining it in a super inefficient way. Was he just trying to say we can never know what is true and what we accept as truth is just a concept and upon that concept we build everything, so like what is reality even? Honestly maybe i'm too dumb for this book and I missed the point, i don't really care, and it bummed me out, and I don't think I want to keep reading ...more
Adam
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a gift to me for Christmas two years ago and I finally got around to reading it. Though I have no regrets on that score, I did not enjoy this selection of his writings as much as I thought I would.
Michael Murphy
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not impressed, overall, possibly because it was "selected writings" of Nietzsche. While I do believe that we must be willing to read philosophies and writings outside of our comfort zone, I do not subscribe to the beliefs of Nietzsche; however, I believe I can understand why and, perhaps how, people such as he come to their beliefs, such as they are. While I did not agree with the writing it was well worth the time to read his point of view.
Carina
Well. I think I can conclusively say that the work of Nietzsche is not my cup of tea, and it would take one hell of a bribe to make me read more of his work. It's a shame that this, my 4th book of the year was a one-star read. I keep hoping that maybe one year I'll read books that are at least 2 stars or above - I guess in 2017 that is not meant to be!

So, the book. This is a series of 'essays' or sometimes simple sentences on the nature of 'truth' - what it is, if it exists and why humankind is
Robert
Oct 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Het menselijke intellect is niet meer dan een onbetekenende minuut in de evolutie van de wereld. Waarheden zijn leugens die zo vaak verteld zijn dat mensen zijn vergeten dat het leugens zijn. En het onderwijs? Dat wordt op twee manieren vernietigd. Doordat iedereen een universitaire opleiding moet krijgen, verwatert de wetenschap. Daarnaast eist de maatschappij van de wetenschap dat zij nuttig is. Daardoor zijn wetenschappers lopende-bandmedewerkers geworden. Slim op hun microgebiedje, maar ...more
Donavon Taveras
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD

OKAY SO LET ME JUST QUOTE THE BOOK: "One would be deceiving oneself in assuming any intellectual inferiority among the leaders of the Christian movement--oh, they're smart all right, smart to the point of saintliness, these gentle church fathers! What they lack is something altogether different. Nature has neglected them--she forgot to bestow upon them a modest dowry of respectable, decent, clean instincts . . . Among us, they are not even men . . . Islam is right a
Sam Dodge
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Better than just reading the the wonderful (and wonderfully short) On Truth and Lies in the Non-Moral Sense, this short book pulls short chapters and bits from his whole body of work where the themes or ideas are revisited. On Truth and Lies, a short 10-20 page essay depending on the type size, was originally written right after his first book very early in his career and never published. It is extremely influential, I believe largely because it is short but it is also punchy and fun and typical ...more
Chant Cowen
Selection of writings on Truth by Friedrich Nietzsche. I assume the selections would work better in their original book.

Fairly good.
Stacey Nguyen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
The quintessential carry-on for ostentatious college boys trying to find within themselves an untapped fountain of erudition and a capacity for thinkpieces where they sneer at everyone, but equally.

That being said, this book is a great Nietzsche starter kit with a very tight and lucid translation. Nietzsche proposes an interesting epistemology of history (even though he wouldn't call it that). It's important to be critical of him tho.

Mohammad Hassan
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was crap. The book should come with a label that asks the reader whether he has read all the excerpts in context before, otherwise it's useless. You won't extract much but it's a good source if you're ever asked to write a paper on Nietzsche, existentialism and truth.
Kate
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the doubtful and the trusting
Recommended to Kate by: its dimensions
Shelves: filosofia
"What do you know in advance of the character of existence to be able to decide whether the greater advantage is on the side of the unconditionally distrustful or the unconditionally trusting?"

God himself has proved to be our longest lie.
Nate Markham
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
i got this book for the early essay called "on truth and lie in a non moral sense" which contains some great arguments concerning truth and metaphysics. i didnt read the rest of it which is made up of quotes from his later work.
Sandra
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. People have this idea about Nietzsche that is completely wrong, it really makes you question everything you've been taught and what is around you.
Benm
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
One of those books I have to keep re-reading. It will sink in, one day, and I will have that *moment*.
Δnd
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Worth getting for the early essay “On Truth and Lie in a Nonmoral Sense”. In my opinion, it is a vital piece in the Nietzsche corpus.
Randy Stapilus
Pendantic and, for all his reputation as a great thinker, strewn with thin or il-logic. More influential than he should have been on the merits.
Bhumi

• Peak: The New Science of Athletic Performance That is Revolutionizing Sports
  • A Giraffe and a Half
  • The Heart of Tantric Sex
  • The Book of Tea
  • The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison*: Inside Oracle Corporation; *God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison
  • The Constant Gardener
  • The War of the End of the World
  • No teu deserto
  • A Cura Quântica (Em Portuguese do Brasil)
  • Sonho Grande
  • O caminho da paz
  • Buddha: His Life and Teachings and Impact on Humanity
  • The Little Book of Yoga
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche was a German philosopher of the late 19th century who challenged the foundations of Christianity and traditional morality. He was interested in the enhancement of individual and cultural health, and believed in life, creativity, power, and the realities of the world we live in, rather than those situated in a world beyond. Central to his philosophy is the idea of “ ...more
“In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the haughtiest and most mendacious minute of "world history"- yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.” 22 likes
“truths are illusions of which one has forgotten that they are illusions, metaphors that have become worn-out and deprived of their sensuous force, coins that have lost their imprint and are now no longer seen as coins but as metal.” 6 likes