Start by marking “Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)

Engaging the Enemy

(Vatta's War #3)

In the wake of a series of assassinations that have left her parents dead and their shipping empire in ruins, Kylara Vata, the unorthodox renegade heir to Vatta Transport, Ltd., one of the galaxy's wealthiest merchant houses, sets out to avenge their death.
Published January 30th 2007 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Engaging the Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaging the Enemy

Mike (the Paladin)
THIS RATING AND REVIEW ARE FOR THE AUDIO EDITION I (TRIED TO) LISTEN(ED) TO ONLY. I WILL MAKE A FEW COMMENTS ABOUT THE BOOK BUT THE RATING IS ABOUT THIS AUDIO VERSION.

Some of you may know that Elizabeth Moon wrote one of my all time favorite series including a trilogy I think of as one novel. So I hate that I've never been able to like her space operas. I mean I've tried and the first in this series was pretty good but I just haven't been able to get involved.

HOWEVER I got the audio version of t
Kara
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Engaging the Enemy (Vatta’s War #3)” continues the military scifi adventure story of Ky Vatta, her friends & family, and her shipmates as Ky and cousin Stella work to rebuild Vatta Enterprises, and to find the enemies who have created interstellar death and destruction.

The amount of detail in the book continues to be amazing, and those details continue to make the world of Vatta feel very real. It was particularly funny as Ky and Raf read through one planet’s written rules for fornication.

The Captain
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! This here be a combined review of the second and third books of the Vatta's War series. While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the first book and ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

Well book one could have been a standalone but I am extremely glad it wasn't! The second book quickly brings about a major, surprising change for the main character, Ky Vatta, and her family. It was mind-boggling but brilliant. It
Erika
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Kylara Vatta has finally made it to Lastaway, safely delivered her original cargo, and is on her way to her next trading port when she suddenly finds herself in charge of much more than the command of Fair Kaleen and her crew. There is little doubt someone or someones are out to get Vatta Transport, Ltd, but now other trading companies are under attack as well. Ky’s novice Captain skills are put to the test again as she tries to avoid trouble and postpone her grief. Corleigh has been hit hard an ...more
Ben Babcock
I want to give this entire series 5 stars even though I probably won’t give any of its individual instalments that rating. Does that make sense? Vatta’s War is just such a fun and compelling space opera with a strong central character, and Elizabeth Moon is a great storyteller. I say this while simultaneously admitting that, even though I really, really enjoyed reading Engaging the Enemy, I don’t think it’s actually all that good of a book.

Yeah, this is going to be one of those reviews. Buckle u
Dan
Shelves: genre-sf, read_2017
short review of the series (huge novel split into 5) under Trading in danger

Ron
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs . . . you'll be a Man, my son!" wrote Rudyard Kipling. Well, Kylara kept her head and saved her crew, but it wasn't as if she had much help.

Moon's tried and true plot device of "Everything I done and not done has [given us trouble]" is getting long of tooth. Similarly everyone continually having concerns but delaying communicating them with others is getting too obvious as a plot device, too.

That said, the quality of Moon's storyt
Jim
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
A good space adventure with a likable heroine & some well developed characters. I'm a bit peeved because one character is STILL hiding & I think I know who it is. It's beginning to be more a point of wonderment & becoming ridiculous. Minor point though. The rest of the universe is well painted, the situation is believable & tense. It's an easy read, but not a dumb one. Better than just a candy book.
Lexxi Kitty
1) I'm doing a reread of the series, shouldn't I be able to think of 'stuff' to slide into these review boxes after I'm done? Heck, I've been writing reviews for almost everything for at least 1 or 3 years now, even if it's a little as 'I loathe Jonathan' (Don't recall if that's the character's name, but that's the entirety of a review I wrote this year). But alas, not having as much luck doing reviews recently. I keep taking days, weeks to get around to them.

2) I'm in the middle of the last boo
James
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction, especially military SF
Longer, more involved and more intricate than the two preceding volumes, Trading in Danger and Marque and Reprisal, in the story of Kylara Vatta and her supporting cast of comrades, villains, and bit players. The military aspects of the story ring more true than in a lot of fiction, no doubt because the author, Elizabeth Moon, served in the Marine Corps. Her academic background in history helps with the grand politics and strategy that form the background and drive the story, too.
Excellent chara
Cathy
Quite good if you're willing to suspend disbelief in the outrageous competence of youth. I like the 3 major characters of Ky, Stella and Grace. I'd like to see more action in the big picture than in just a few isolated encounters/battles. And the action is very uneven; it's mostly talk and almost no action until the end.
Shan
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The adventure continues. Ky Vatta's tiny fleet has grown; she's now on a bigger ship with more weapons, and her cousin Stella is in charge of the elderly trading ship. Ky bops from planet system to planet system, encountering problems everywhere, mostly arising from officials suspicious of how she acquired the bigger ship; Stella trails behind, getting more and more irritated at Ky's treatment of her. No battles for most of the book; the engagements are in bureaucratic offices and courts.

There
Maddalena
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
After the partial disappointment of the second volume in Elizabeth Moon’s Vatta’s War series, I was eager to see whether that less-than-stellar book was just a fluke, or if the initial promise had really been so sadly reduced: I’m quite happy to share that the third volume in the series, Engaging the Enemy, rolls back on track in a very appealing way.

The story resumes straight from the point it had left off in Marque and Reprisal, making me realize that this is not exactly a series, but rather
Kes
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2018

There's not a lot of fighting in this book, but plenty of talking.

Ky moves around; her decisions (or perhaps her decisiveness) cause conflict. Stella wanders after her and smooths feathers. It's easy to understand Stella's frustration.

The pacing of this book is well enough. Ky's idea of an interstellar force gains traction, and Stella takes charge of reforming Vatta Transport. I did like that Ky was being more proactive here.
Donna
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This one's enjoyable despite a relative lack of action, but Stella's parts were annoying. I was not in love with the way her character lost perspective and competence just to give the story a jolt of conflict. That episodic combat scene at the end also felt kind of skim-worthy.

The characters still have me hooked though; I'll grab the next one soon.
papasteve
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only four stars because there was a lot of, “Blah, blah, blah...” in this book. This book was like the second book in most trilogies, setting up what is to come. The end of this book was worth the verbiage in the first 3/4ths of it, though.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/

“I do not intend survival. I intend victory.”

Engaging the Enemy is the third book in Elizabeth Moon’s VATTA’S WAR saga. Young captain Kylara Vatta, her beautiful cousin Stella Vatta, and their elderly Aunt Grace continue their quest for revenge on the people who destroyed the Vatta shipping empire and most of the Vatta family. They are just beginning to realize the extent of the vast conspiracy which brought the Vattas down — it invol
Althea Ann
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Vatta's War series
1 Trading in Danger
2 Marque and Reprisal
3 Engaging the Enemy
4 Command Decision
5 Victory Conditions

These 5 books are not so much a series as one long novel - there's one story arc, and you really need to read all five to get to the (satisfying) conclusion. (I somehow had the misapprehension that there were only 4 in the series - luckily the public library came through and got me #5 expediently!)
Due to a misjudgement, Kylara Vatta, scion of an interstellar shipping business,
Johnny
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I still think this series is for YA. This time, the psychological crisis doesn’t have as much to do with losing one’s parents in death as in losing one’s parents in terms of genetics, discovering that one has been adopted and that one’s progenitor is not anyone to be admired in terms of genetic inheritance. In a delightful way, Engaging the Enemy explores the real meaning of family. Of course, I’m more hooked than ever because the personalities of the characters are becoming more complex. Charac ...more
Sbuchler
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Genre: Military Science Fiction/Space Opera

This was an extremely addictive read. It continues the story of Ky Vatta, her cousin Stella, and her aunt Grace in their three-pronged attack on their attackers. It’s still not clear that we know everyone who was working against them. However, Ky focuses on trying to counter the military threat that organized space pirates presents. Stella continues to worry about the family’s business concerns while Grace attempts to address the government collusion th
Karen A. Wyle
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

I liked this third book in the Vatta's War series at least as much as the first, Trading in Danger. The pace is more consistent than in the second book (Marque and Reprisal). I continue to enjoy the character of Kylara Vatta, as I usually enjoy characters more resourceful than I am. It's a great pleasure to watch Kylara discover and cope with her own personality, complexities and capabilities.

This book also features a particularly interesting planetary culture, where etiquette plays an unusual r
Guy
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
OK, now I'm a little annoyed at myself for starting the series. The books are getting worse as Moon tries to describe space battles without having any clue of the distances involved. The main character at one point worries about ship positioning errors of 1000 meters at a distance of light minutes because otherwise it might be accidentally hit by friendly fire from a beam weapon.

Hah.

And all the other weaknesses I've noted in reviews of the earlier books of the series are still present. Of course
Trice
so much stronger than book 2. the one exception has to be Rafe's existence, and especially his farewell - we seem to have found new ways for him to be really unbelievable and way too convenient for way too many purposes, though at the same time it's hard not to like him and his presence in the story
Leah
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Audiobook, narrated by Cynthia Holloway.

For some reason I had a hard time getting into this book in terms of placing events and characters in the story. Though Moon does offer some recap, it's not usually until about a quarter of the way into the story, so you have to fend for yourself or muddle through until you either remember or her recap boosts your memory. It's not a complaint, just an observation.

Moon does have an irritating tendency to detail more mundane events, such as meals and persona
Banshee
Kylara Vatta and Stella are still trying to rebuild the corporation. They now have two ships but no cohesion regarding who will be the leader and how to rebuild the company. Kylara realizes that she needs to get a band of armed merchant ships together to take out the pirates. Once she does though she quickly realizes how untrained and unequipped they are. Plus she is forced to work under a poor leader.

The secrets revealed in this book was shocking. It made the reader question what constitutes f
Geoffrey
Review Engaging the Enemy

Am definitely not liking this one as much. The author treats many of other captains as idiots... under such circumstances her main character would shine no matter what she did. It is unduly heavy-handed. Same goes with the treatment of her sister, Stella, who also is presented as being obtuse for no apparent reason. The whole sequence with the trial of Furman was never explained adequately, it seemed to be a kind of trick to reveal info about Stella’s origins, which wasn
Daniel O'Brien
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still solidly improving from the second book. Highly readable and enjoyable. The main character's brilliance despite her lack of experience is a little grating. Especially given the frequency with which other characters doubt her abilities due to her lack of experience and then a chapter or two later have joined the personality cult that seems to be developing around Ky.

It is nice that Ky makes several non-trivial mistakes due to her relative inexperience though. It's a weird balance between a c
Jason
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I picked up the first two books in the Vatta’s War series out of curiosity, and because I thought they probably weren’t very good. I wanted to see what modern military science fiction was like. They turned out better than I expected, enough so that I’ve been curious about the rest of the series. I began Engaging the Enemy with the hopes that it would be faster and more exciting than the previous two books.

Summary
Having defeated the family renegade and pirate, Osman, Ky Vatta attempts to regist
Sister
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As good as Trading in Danger and better than Marque and Reprisal, Engaging the Enemy is the 3rd book in the Vatta’s War series. My Vatta is trying to convince other ship captains that they need to band together to fight the pirates who have banded together. For her efforts she is thrown off one planet & persuaded to ally herself with another woman captain who doesn’t have a clue how to fight with a fleet. Stella Vatta Constantin, Ky’s cousin, has hired a captain for the Gary Tobai, Ky’s old ...more
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie

Vatta's War (5 books)
  • Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
“Next,” she said, “we have to come up with tactics that work.” “We could just do something stupid again, wait for them to pounce, and then surprise them by suddenly becoming brilliant,” Martin said.” 0 likes