Start by marking “Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)

Engaging the Enemy

(Vatta's War #3)

In the wake of a series of assassinations that have left her parents dead and their shipping empire in ruins, Kylara Vatta, the unorthodox renegade heir to Vatta Transport, Ltd., one of the galaxy's wealthiest merchant houses, sets out to avenge their death.
Published January 30th 2007 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Engaging the Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaging the Enemy

Start your review of Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
Mike (the Paladin)
THIS RATING AND REVIEW ARE FOR THE AUDIO EDITION I (TRIED TO) LISTEN(ED) TO ONLY. I WILL MAKE A FEW COMMENTS ABOUT THE BOOK BUT THE RATING IS ABOUT THIS AUDIO VERSION.

Some of you may know that Elizabeth Moon wrote one of my all time favorite series including a trilogy I think of as one novel. So I hate that I've never been able to like her space operas. I mean I've tried and the first in this series was pretty good but I just haven't been able to get involved.

HOWEVER I got the audio version of t
Kara Babcock
I want to give this entire series 5 stars even though I probably won’t give any of its individual instalments that rating. Does that make sense? Vatta’s War is just such a fun and compelling space opera with a strong central character, and Elizabeth Moon is a great storyteller. I say this while simultaneously admitting that, even though I really, really enjoyed reading Engaging the Enemy, I don’t think it’s actually all that good of a book.

Yeah, this is going to be one of those reviews. Buckle u
Kara
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Engaging the Enemy (Vatta’s War #3)” continues the military scifi adventure story of Ky Vatta, her friends & family, and her shipmates as Ky and cousin Stella work to rebuild Vatta Enterprises, and to find the enemies who have created interstellar death and destruction.

The amount of detail in the book continues to be amazing, and those details continue to make the world of Vatta feel very real. It was particularly funny as Ky and Raf read through one planet’s written rules for fornication.

“Enga
The Captain
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! This here be a combined review of the second and third books of the Vatta's War series. While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the first book and ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

Well book one could have been a standalone but I am extremely glad it wasn't! The second book quickly brings about a major, surprising change for the main character, Ky Vatta, and her family. It was mind-boggling but brilliant. It
Erika
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Kylara Vatta has finally made it to Lastaway, safely delivered her original cargo, and is on her way to her next trading port when she suddenly finds herself in charge of much more than the command of Fair Kaleen and her crew. There is little doubt someone or someones are out to get Vatta Transport, Ltd, but now other trading companies are under attack as well. Ky’s novice Captain skills are put to the test again as she tries to avoid trouble and postpone her grief. Corleigh has been hit hard an ...more
Dan
Shelves: genre-sf, read_2017
short review of the series (huge novel split into 5) under Trading in danger

Ron
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs . . . you'll be a Man, my son!" wrote Rudyard Kipling. Well, Kylara kept her head and saved her crew, but it wasn't as if she had much help.

Moon's tried and true plot device of "Everything I done and not done has [given us trouble]" is getting long of tooth. Similarly everyone continually having concerns but delaying communicating them with others is getting too obvious as a plot device, too.

That said, the quality of Moon's storyt
Jim
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
A good space adventure with a likable heroine & some well developed characters. I'm a bit peeved because one character is STILL hiding & I think I know who it is. It's beginning to be more a point of wonderment & becoming ridiculous. Minor point though. The rest of the universe is well painted, the situation is believable & tense. It's an easy read, but not a dumb one. Better than just a candy book. ...more
Lexxi Kitty
1) I'm doing a reread of the series, shouldn't I be able to think of 'stuff' to slide into these review boxes after I'm done? Heck, I've been writing reviews for almost everything for at least 1 or 3 years now, even if it's a little as 'I loathe Jonathan' (Don't recall if that's the character's name, but that's the entirety of a review I wrote this year). But alas, not having as much luck doing reviews recently. I keep taking days, weeks to get around to them.

2) I'm in the middle of the last boo
Timothy Boyd
very good 3rd book in the series. The characters and plot grow nicely and logically. Good entertaining read. Recommended
James
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction, especially military SF
Longer, more involved and more intricate than the two preceding volumes, Trading in Danger and Marque and Reprisal, in the story of Kylara Vatta and her supporting cast of comrades, villains, and bit players. The military aspects of the story ring more true than in a lot of fiction, no doubt because the author, Elizabeth Moon, served in the Marine Corps. Her academic background in history helps with the grand politics and strategy that form the background and drive the story, too.
Excellent chara
Cathy
Quite good if you're willing to suspend disbelief in the outrageous competence of youth. I like the 3 major characters of Ky, Stella and Grace. I'd like to see more action in the big picture than in just a few isolated encounters/battles. And the action is very uneven; it's mostly talk and almost no action until the end.
Julie
The previous Vatta's War books both took me a mere 3 days to read, but this one took me 12 days. The quarantine struggle is real!!

Ultimately: This one's probably 2.5 stars, in ways that Kara's review touches on nicely. As always, I actually really like the possibly-banal details of interstellar trading, managing profits, vetting new recruits, putting together a new crew. I forever love the logistics of space opera and military sci fi! I love it!! Ky trying to figure out what her next steps are,
Shan
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The adventure continues. Ky Vatta's tiny fleet has grown; she's now on a bigger ship with more weapons, and her cousin Stella is in charge of the elderly trading ship. Ky bops from planet system to planet system, encountering problems everywhere, mostly arising from officials suspicious of how she acquired the bigger ship; Stella trails behind, getting more and more irritated at Ky's treatment of her. No battles for most of the book; the engagements are in bureaucratic offices and courts.

There
Maddalena
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
After the partial disappointment of the second volume in Elizabeth Moon’s Vatta’s War series, I was eager to see whether that less-than-stellar book was just a fluke, or if the initial promise had really been so sadly reduced: I’m quite happy to share that the third volume in the series, Engaging the Enemy, rolls back on track in a very appealing way.

The story resumes straight from the point it had left off in Marque and Reprisal, making me realize that this is not exactly a series, but rather
Wil C. Fry
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it

Like the first two installments of the series, Engaging The Enemy (Book 3 of Vatta’s War) is a fun diversion — which is the entire reason I read science fiction. While it wasn’t as action-packed as the second book, and didn’t focus on character development as either of the first two, there is still plenty of ground covered.

Kylara Vatta remains a character who I can at least partly identify with, realistic with her self-doubts and ability to overcome them.

This is also the first of the three books

Saphirablue
Kes
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018, fiction

There's not a lot of fighting in this book, but plenty of talking.

Ky moves around; her decisions (or perhaps her decisiveness) cause conflict. Stella wanders after her and smooths feathers. It's easy to understand Stella's frustration.

The pacing of this book is well enough. Ky's idea of an interstellar force gains traction, and Stella takes charge of reforming Vatta Transport. I did like that Ky was being more proactive here.
Donna
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This one's enjoyable despite a relative lack of action, but Stella's parts were annoying. I was not in love with the way her character lost perspective and competence just to give the story a jolt of conflict. That episodic combat scene at the end also felt kind of skim-worthy.

The characters still have me hooked though; I'll grab the next one soon.
Benjamin
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Three in the five-book series. Having read the earlier volumes helps, but isn't essential. This is space opera of the highest order: plenty of action, good plotting, good writing, good character development. Highly recommended. The reader might detect something of the Dowager Countess of Downton Abbey in one of the characters (though this book was written well before that series began). Highly recommended.
papasteve
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only four stars because there was a lot of, “Blah, blah, blah...” in this book. This book was like the second book in most trilogies, setting up what is to come. The end of this book was worth the verbiage in the first 3/4ths of it, though.
Joe
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ky really begins to grow more fully into the role her destiny truly demanded, so that she can DO things about the horrible losses suffered by the Vatta family empire. She actually has a functioning brain & uses it to good stead. ...more
Nicole Luiken
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, ebook
Lots of tension between Ky and Stella as well as between governments, pirates and Vatta. Stronger second half than first.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit. http://www.fantasyliterature.com/

“I do not intend survival. I intend victory.”

Engaging the Enemy is the third book in Elizabeth Moon’s VATTA’S WAR saga. Young captain Kylara Vatta, her beautiful cousin Stella Vatta, and their elderly Aunt Grace continue their quest for revenge on the people who destroyed the Vatta shipping empire and most of the Vatta family. They are just beginning to realize the extent of the vast conspiracy which brought the Vattas down — it invol
Althea Ann
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Vatta's War series
1 Trading in Danger
2 Marque and Reprisal
3 Engaging the Enemy
4 Command Decision
5 Victory Conditions

These 5 books are not so much a series as one long novel - there's one story arc, and you really need to read all five to get to the (satisfying) conclusion. (I somehow had the misapprehension that there were only 4 in the series - luckily the public library came through and got me #5 expediently!)
Due to a misjudgement, Kylara Vatta, scion of an interstellar shipping business
Johnny
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I still think this series is for YA. This time, the psychological crisis doesn’t have as much to do with losing one’s parents in death as in losing one’s parents in terms of genetics, discovering that one has been adopted and that one’s progenitor is not anyone to be admired in terms of genetic inheritance. In a delightful way, Engaging the Enemy explores the real meaning of family. Of course, I’m more hooked than ever because the personalities of the characters are becoming more complex. Charac ...more
Sbuchler
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Genre: Military Science Fiction/Space Opera

This was an extremely addictive read. It continues the story of Ky Vatta, her cousin Stella, and her aunt Grace in their three-pronged attack on their attackers. It’s still not clear that we know everyone who was working against them. However, Ky focuses on trying to counter the military threat that organized space pirates presents. Stella continues to worry about the family’s business concerns while Grace attempts to address the government collusion th
Karen A. Wyle
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

I liked this third book in the Vatta's War series at least as much as the first, Trading in Danger. The pace is more consistent than in the second book (Marque and Reprisal). I continue to enjoy the character of Kylara Vatta, as I usually enjoy characters more resourceful than I am. It's a great pleasure to watch Kylara discover and cope with her own personality, complexities and capabilities.

This book also features a particularly interesting planetary culture, where etiquette plays an unusual r
Guy
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
OK, now I'm a little annoyed at myself for starting the series. The books are getting worse as Moon tries to describe space battles without having any clue of the distances involved. The main character at one point worries about ship positioning errors of 1000 meters at a distance of light minutes because otherwise it might be accidentally hit by friendly fire from a beam weapon.

Hah.

And all the other weaknesses I've noted in reviews of the earlier books of the series are still present. Of course
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sassinak (Planet Pirates, #1)
  • Generation Warriors (Planet Pirates, #3)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • The Death of Sleep (Planet Pirates, #2)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • Crisis on Doona (Doona, #2)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Valor's Choice (Confederation, #1)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie

Vatta's War (5 books)
  • Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)

News & Interviews

“Next,” she said, “we have to come up with tactics that work.” “We could just do something stupid again, wait for them to pounce, and then surprise them by suddenly becoming brilliant,” Martin said.” 2 likes