Start by marking “Philip Larkin: Letters to Monica” as Want to Read:
Philip Larkin: Letters to Monica

Philip Larkin: Letters to Monica

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Philip Larkin met Monica Jones at University College Leicester in autumn 1946, when they were both twenty-four; he was the newly-appointed assistant librarian and she was an English lecturer. In 1950 Larkin moved to Belfast, and thence to Hull, while Monica remained in Leicester, becoming by turns his correspondent, lover and closest confidante, in a relationship which las ...more
Published October 21st 2010 by Faber Faber

To ask other readers questions about Philip Larkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philip Larkin

James Murphy
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Philip Larkin met Monica Jones in 1946. They were correspondents and lovers until his death in 1985. Her personification quickly became that of a rabbit, an endearment he continued their entire relationship. Sometimes he referred to himself as a seal. He always called her "bun" and often adorned the letters with little drawings of a rabbit involved in rabbit activities such as cooking or watching television. In reality she was an English professor at University College, Leicester for most of the ...more
Coxy
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Larkin's poetry but I started reading this book feeling faintly uncomfortable about the idea that I was about to read extracts from the many hundreds of letters he sent to his - and this is where it starts getting tricky, because how do you describe Monica and the role she played in his life? I suppose it's fair to say she was at best his on-off girlfriend for over 30 years. He said he loved her, and they talked many times about living together and even getting married, but Larkin maintai ...more
Catherine
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Indeed, although I know you are living there a normal girl I do deeply feel 'somehow' there is a rabbit there too, doing the things you do; even lecturing on Hopkins. It is a strange fancy. I can't explain it. I think perhaps the rabbit takes your place at times, or stays behind when you go out to an evening at the Frasers. Of course I know it doesn't really! but I feel loth to say 'there 'is' no rabbit'. It must be deeply fixed in 'me', & therefore the fault, if there is one, is mine."

"My
Andrew Darling
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
'32 Pearson Park, Hull, 27 November 1968.
Dearest bun,
Morning, noon & bloody night
Seven sodding days a week,
I slave at filthy work, that might
Be done by any book-drunk freak.
This goes on till I kick the bucket;
FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT.
Nice to be a pawet, ya knaw, an express ya feelins. Eh? The last line should be screamed in a paroxysm of rage.'

Well, they say he was a misogynist, a fascist, a God knows what-ist. These letters were written over a long period to the woman he loved most
Ruth
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. If you are only going to give one poet a try, I would say look at the poems of Mr. Phillip Larken. He also wrote a few novels and other material.

His day job was the head of a University Library; he seemed very well liked by his staff. Monica is a professor of English at another college and they have a long distance relationship for decades. But the distance is not only abut 100 miles? Phillip is a bit of a weakling, and hates to drive at night, get up early, etc.
Adrian
Feb 29, 2012 added it
Letters from Larkin to his longtime paramour Monica Jones from the late 1940s to 1984. Nearly quit reading this volume five or six times but something drove me on to the finish. I was girding myself for the nasty, racist, homophobic Larkin that was revealed when his first correspondence was published but in this respect found him mild. He comes across as a rather closeted-in man who does a job he hates (librarian) with people he resents. He nurses grudges wonderfully and has a snide view of life ...more
Petra X
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh genius, genius, genius. But I don't think Larkin was a terribly adequate lover or a particulary nice man. Still, Monica was happy enough...
Jan
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. Gave me a new insight into his relationnship with Monica
Bettie☯
Nov 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Book of the Week Radio 4 listeners

blurb - Philip Larkin's Letters to Monica span the forty years of their relationship from 1946 when they met, until Larkin's death in 1985. They only came to light after Monica Jones died in 2001, when nearly two thousand letters were discovered in Larkin's house in Hull. This never previously published correspondence, edited by Anthony Thwaite, offers a unique insight into Larkin's most intimate thoughts.

Philip Larkin writes to Monica about his poetry, h
E
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I found that this added depth to some of the poems I have studied, and I did enjoy finding out a bit more about Larkin himself, the man behind the poetry. However, this book is not a autobiography. Much of what Larkin says he repeats and he constantly contradicts himself.
You are almost rooting for Monica to either rid herself of Philip or for Philip to finally marry her. Why he does not I do not quite understand, all I can think is that he was more serious about his writing than he lets on.
My l
Sam Schulman
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'd rather read Larkin letters than anything ever written, and here are more. Hard to imagine reading this without having read either the big letters collection or the biography, but these form a separate narrative, of a great writer, shy, bad with women, who nevertheless manages to ruin a life or two. I love him and her. I put it down with 50 pages or so to go because I don't want to live through his death again.

Zoe
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
A strange, strange man. Interspersed with his mundanity are some interesting literary comments in particular the revelation that "The Secret Garden" and "Lady Chatterly's Lover" have striking similarities! But how Monica put up with him I do not know.
Lorraine
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
poor old larkin. we have the same mum. only I don't have his talent.
Nicole
Jul 19, 2012
karusele
Sep 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Violet to Vita: The Letters of Violet Trefusis to Vita Sackville-West, 1910-1921
  • The Letters of Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh
  • Letters of T.S. Eliot: 1898-1922
  • The Selected Letters
  • A Life in Letters
  • Vanity Fair's Hollywood
  • Orwell in Spain: The Full Text of Homage to Catalonia, with Associated Articles, Reviews and Letters from the Complete Works of George Orwell
  • Letters of Edna St. Vincent Millay
  • Blaming the Victims: Spurious Scholarship and the Palestinian Question
  • Unacknowledged Legislation: Writers in the Public Sphere
  • Borges: A Life
  • One On One
Philip Arthur Larkin, CH, CBE, FRSL, was an English poet, novelist and jazz critic. He spent his working life as a university librarian and was offered the Poet Laureateship following the death of John Betjeman, but declined the post. Larkin is commonly regarded as one of the greatest English poets of the latter half of the twentieth century. He first came to prominence with the release of his thi ...more
More about Philip Larkin

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
“Morning, noon & bloody night,
Seven sodding days a week,
I slave at filthy WORK, that might
Be done by any book-drunk freak.
This goes on until I kick the bucket.
FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT”
146 likes
“How little our careers express what lies in us, and yet how much time they take up. It's sad, really.” 116 likes