Start by marking “Meg on the Moon” as Want to Read:
Meg on the Moon

Meg on the Moon

(Meg and Mog)

Mog wants to go in a spaceship for his birthday treat... so Meg makes a spell, and off they go!
Spiral-bound, 26 pages
Published May 27th 1976 by Puffin (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Meg on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meg on the Moon

Start your review of Meg on the Moon
Hilary
Feb 21, 2022 rated it liked it
Reread a few of these today on hearing the sad news that Jan Pienkowski died yesterday. I remember reading these at school and enjoying the bright illustrations that were lovely to try to copy with felt tips. Although the storylines are very simple, these make nice beginner readers and certinly have established a very distinct style and colour palette.

Read on open library.
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my BEDTIME STORIES list.

I have a little boy and love reading to him, so this reading list will cover the classic (and new) children’s stories we’re enjoying together.

This is currently my eighteen month old son's favourite book (displacing Room on the Broom
Abigail
Meg, Mog and Owl return in this third witchy adventure, first published in 1973 - the first two entries in the series, Meg and Mog and Meg's Eggs , were both published in 1972 - and still in print today. When Mog decides he wants to go to the moon as his birthday treat, Meg is quick to craft a spell, creating a miniature spaceship that carries them into outer space (with Owl staying behind to supervise takeoff and landing). Exploring the delights of the lunar landscape, from meeting up wi ...more
Shemona
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
‘Meg on the Moon’ is story involving the two infamous characters. In this particular tale it is Mog’s birthday and he wants to go to the moon as his special treat. So, both Meg and Mog hop on to their broomstick, cast a spell and zoom off! They eventually land and have a great adventure exploring space and meeting astronauts. It’s a book full of colour and sounds which the children will love. I think it would be perfect for children in Nursery and Reception when covering the theme of space. They ...more
Cary Thomson
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A classic series, and this book speaks to my son’s love of outer space.
Mama Bibliosoph
For the uninitiated, Meg and Mog is a series that was published in the 1970s. The books are about Meg (a witch), Mog (her cat), and their friend Owl. In Meg on the Moon, it's Mog's birthday and he wants to go to the moon. Meg whips up a spell and makes Mog a flying saucer while Owl starts the countdown.

On the moon, Meg and Mog discover weightlessness, see craters, meet astronauts, and visit a lunar module. In the end they return to Earth and have a birthday picnic with Owl. As with all Meg and M
Kylie Abecca
Oct 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
All Meg and Mog stories are cute and funny and great for early readers. I remember practicing my reading with Meg and Mog when I was little, whilst waiting to visit our family doctor, Dr. Cornwall. Even though I was always so sick, I loved going to the doctor, because I always loved reading a new Meg and Mog story.
Adrian
So, I shall be going down a Meg & Mog rabbit hole after Tania found a stash of them in a charity shop and was appalled when I told her that I had never read them!

In this installment Mog is celebrating his birthday and wants to go to space so Meg magics up a spaceship so the can visit the moon! Poor old Owl is left behind!
Pennie
Dec 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
The best part about this series of books is all the different sound effects written on the page. There is sneezing, blast-offs and space ships putting.
Usama Albastaki
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mohammad liked it too much. He wants to read more of Meg adventures.
Emily
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love how they randomly had tea & a picnic as soon as Meg and Mog came back to Earth.
Sarah Hills
Jul 09, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-brice
Fun read though some of the expressions in Meg books are of their time. The count down always went down well with B at bedtime.
Liz
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One true favourite of a small boy.
Bec
Nov 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
A fun take on the moon landing. I'm still in love with the illustrations. ...more
Kelly Chester
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a great book
Nil
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Written by Helen Nicoll and Jan Pienkowski, ‘Meg on the Moon’ is an amazing book for children in early years. It is about three characters, Meg the witch, Mog the cat, and the owl, who come together to celebrate Mog’s birthday. However, Mog wants to go to the moon, so Meg casts a spell and off they go to space. When they finally land on the moon, Meg and Mog explore their surroundings in space, meet some astronauts and have a great adventure.
This book is extremely engaging and is beautifully il
Karen
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect on so many levels. My almost-five-year-old son tells stories about as fantastic as this one. He has a love/hate relationship with owls. We have three cats. My husband was a space shuttle engineer (when there was a space shuttle to engineer), and my son is fascinated with space. On top of all that, this story is funny, silly and delightful.

Jan Pienkowski is an artist of staggering range. So wide a range, in fact, that I did a double-take when I saw he was the illustrator. Nor
Portable
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Meg and Mog has been one of my favourite books ever since I was a little girl. There's something about Jan Pieńkowski's vivid illustrations that just makes me smile. Our children also love the adventures of witch Mog, her stripy cat Mog, and Owl. If you want to take a learning angle, these stories are great for thinking about magic, recipes (ingredients for spells) and rhymes. But I love them just because they are so much fun. I won't write individual reviews for the books in this series, as the ...more
Paul
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
This is the first book that I can remember reading as a small child. As I recall Meg the witch and Mog the cat head off to the moon, meet some astronauts, eat some astronaut food and then go home, crash landing their flying saucer into a pond.
gaia.
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love this book! :) It is one from my childhood- I'm glad to have it for my son to grow up with as well! The bright colors are great and the pictures are fun. It is a pretty basic one- it will be a good one for my son to read aloud once he starts doing that! Very cute! ...more
Dom Conlon
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space AND Meg! Wow. You just can't go wrong. ...more
Seth
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was good, a lot of space things and it was funny.
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE MEG AND MOG
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Probably my favourite Meg and Mog book. Great use of colour, and a fun trip to the moon and back.
Keir Bridges

• The Berenstain Bears' Nursery Tales
  • The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • C is for Clown
  • The Berenstain Bears' Science Fair (Berenstain Bears)
  • The Berenstain Bears' Nature Guide
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Bears' Almanac
  • Pirates Love Underpants
  • Aliens in Underpants Save the World
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Dinosaurs Love Underpants
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath! (Pigeon series)
  • Winnie the Witch
Helen Nicoll was born in Natland, Westmorland, in 1937. She was educated at schools in Bristol; Dartington Hall, Devon; and Froebel Education Institute, London. Helen Nicoll married Robert Kime in 1970 and they have one daughter and one son.

Helen Nicoll was a television producer with the BBC for many years. It was here, as Producer of the children's educational series WATCH, that she first met Jan

Meg and Mog (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Meg and Mog