Start by marking “Un antropologo su Marte” as Want to Read:
Un antropologo su Marte

Un antropologo su Marte

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  13,453 Ratings  ·  798 Reviews
Dopo L’uomo che scambiò sua moglie per un cappello, una sequenza di «romanzi neurologici» raccontati dallo scrittore che più di ogni altro sa entrare nel mondo a parte della malattia, talora distante da noi come un pianeta che aspetti di essere visitato e capito da un antropologo.
Paperback, Gli Adelphi #134, 445 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by Adelphi (first published February 21st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Un antropologo su Marte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un antropologo su Marte

Pouting Always
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read about neurologist Oliver Sacks in other books but I'm pretty sure this was my first experience reading one of his books and I actually really enjoyed it. Sacks writes up narratives for patients he works with or people he meets with neurological conditions in a way that makes it much easier to step into the perspective of the person and gives them a story. I personally don't enjoy reading case studies in academia because they do tend to stay detached from the person being talked about a ...more
Manny
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book contains an extended, very sympathetic case-study of Temple Grandin, the world's most famous autistic person. I read it when my older son, Jonathan, was diagnosed autistic at age about 10. Obviously, given that it took so long to figure out why he was odd, he isn't that much like Grandin, but the book did give me some important insights.

If you're autistic, your fundamental problem is that you don't naturally understand how other people think and feel. Many women summarize this as "you
cathy
May 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially those who want to learn how to write a case study.
Shelves: non-fiction-read
In An Anthropologist on Mars, Oliver Sacks seamlessly weaves fascinating patient stories and lessons in neurology for the layperson. This may sound quite dry if you're not into reading about bizarre behavior from brain circuitry goes awry, but Sacks makes the science very palatable. He acts as our well-traveled tour guide as we explore the everyday lives and thinking processes of seven people who have made creative use of their cognitive hiccups.

Some of the patients featured in this collection o
Paul Bryant
Sep 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: voyeurs
Shelves: science
Confession time ! I must admit - friends, judge not lest ye be judged - that I boohooed my way through the last part of Awakenings The Movie, with all those frozen people coming back to life and catching tennis balls and (spoiler alerts) then living life to the FULL for one brief shining moment, and doing the hoochy coochy, which is the only dance they could remember from the 1920s which is when they all froze up, and then Mr De Niro doing the herky jerk dance which was one of his own invention, ...more
David
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book about seven people with very special, mental conditions. Oliver Sacks is a neurologist, and he spent a lot of time with each of these people in their homes and in their environments. As a result, Sacks can go into great detail about each of the seven, and explains their histories, their mental conditions, and how they cope with their situations. He tells their stories with wonderful insight, and with empathy. The most interesting aspect is how Sacks, like a detective, ...more
Nandakishore Varma
This was my first introduction to Sacks, and the fascinating world of neural disorders. The colour-blind artist, the man who kept on painting the same place from memory, the man without long term memory, the autistic professor - I found all the tales absolutely rivetting.
David
For some reason, the essays of Oliver Sacks don't rock my world. He's got the attention-grabbing title thing down pat, and each case study does have a kernel of interest. But generally, I'd be just as happy if each essay were cut by 50% - most chapters didn't really sustain my interest to the end.

Full disclosure: my faint generalized lack of enthusiasm for Dr S may stem from nothing more than guilt by association with Robin Williams. I have never denied being shallow.

If you're in the mood for fu
Mehrsa
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fascinating and illuminating book. I've followed Sacks' work for a while so none of these stories were new, but the book is so well written and the analysis is brilliant. I loved the first and last stories the best--the story of color and the last of autism. Sachs probes into the meaning of life, the nature of humanity, friendship, love, art, and intelligence by looking at neurological dysfunction. Such wonderful insights.
Siobhan
An Anthropologist on Mars is one of those books that has been mentioned countless times across my academic career, with lectures and students alike constantly referencing it. It took me a long time to work around to it, but I can finally say I’ve given it a read.

For me, An Anthropologist on Mars was an interesting read. Considering how much people had enjoyed it, though, I had expected a little bit more. It covered seven interesting cases, allowing me to better understand the specific cases ment
Sarah Al Qassimi
I finished it.

I didn't want to finish it.

It was an accident, I swear.

• The Man Who Tasted Shapes
  • Soul Made Flesh: The Discovery of the Brain--and How it Changed the World
  • The Man with the Phantom Twin: Adventures in Neuroscience of the Human Brain
  • The Man with a Shattered World: The History of a Brain Wound
  • Proust Was a Neuroscientist
  • Monkeyluv: And Other Essays on Our Lives as Animals
  • The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach
  • Into the Silent Land: Travels in Neuropsychology
  • Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century
  • Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason and the Human Brain
  • In Search of Memory: The Emergence of a New Science of Mind
  • Nobody Nowhere: The Extraordinary Autobiography of an Autistic Girl
  • The Best American Science Writing 2003
  • A User's Guide to the Brain: Perception, Attention, and the Four Theaters of the Brain
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • Astonishing Hypothesis: The Scientific Search for the Soul
  • An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain
  • Why We Hurt: The Natural History of Pain
Oliver Wolf Sacks, CBE, was a British neurologist residing in the United States, who has written popular books about his patients, the most famous of which is Awakenings, which was adapted into a film of the same name starring Robin Williams and Robert De Niro.

Sacks was the youngest of four children born to a prosperous North London Jewish couple: Sam, a physician, and Elsie, a surgeon. When he wa
More about Oliver Sacks...
“This is what I get very upset at...' Temple, who was driving suddenly faltered and wept. 'I've read that libraries are where immortality lies... I don't want my thoughts to die with me... I want to have done something... I'm not interested in power, or piles of money. I want to leave something behind. I want to make a positive contribution—know that my life has meaning, Right now, I'm talking about things at the very core of my experience.' I was stunned. As I stepped out of the car to say goodbye, I said, 'I'm going to hug you. I hope you don't mind.' I hugged her—and (I think) she hugged me back.” 3 likes
“Color is not a trivial subject but one that has compelled, for hundreds of years, a passionate curiosity in the greatest artists, philosophers, and natural scientists. The young Spinoza wrote his first treatise on the rainbow; the young Newton’s most joyous discovery was the composition of white light; Goethe’s great color work, like Newton’s, started with a prism; Schopenhauer, Young, Helmholtz, and Maxwell, in the last century, were all tantalized by the problem of color; and Wittgenstein’s last work was his Remarks on Colour. And yet most of us, most of the time, overlook its great mystery.” 3 likes