Start by marking “Decorated To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Decorated To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery #3)

Decorated To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery #3)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 255 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Kensington (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Decorated To Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decorated To Death

Ellen
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Decorated To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries)
by Dean James
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

Read the entire series, July 31, 2011

This review is from: Decorated To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read this entire series and must say It is one of the most original and totally delightful series to come my way. The main sleuth, Simon Krby-Jones. is not just a vampire...he is a gay v
Jenndian
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this tongue-in-cheek series! I love Simon and the other quirky characters in this delightful series! It's great seeing characters and relationships change throughout the series! The mystery in this one is clever and there are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader interested!
Rob
Colorful concept but such a paint-by-numbers execution of a plot. We have an American vampire in England and yet he speaks with the same colloquialisms as the British and it never really comes up that he's American... Wouldn't that be a constant source of social comedy to have him being a fish out of water? I think the plot needed a few more think-throughs.
Lainy
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Time Taken To Read - 1 day

Blurb From Goodreads

Hardly one to become star-struck, Simon nevertheless deigns to attend a tea at Blitherington Hall in honor of celebrity interior designer Zeke Harwood, star of the popular television show, "Tres Zeke." The self-acclaimed King of Home Decorating makes it immediately obvious that he's there to give the drawing room a makeover--not make friends. So, it's little shock to Simon when the drama-queen decorator meets his demise; he's only surprised it hasn't
Furio
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay, gay-mystery
While many of the flaws which pestered the first episode of this series were no longer to be found in the second one and neither have reappeared here -that constant use of those double surnames, though...- I cannot say I am completely happy about this novel.

Mr James decides to play the card of the witty parody of the sleuth stories and he lets his main hero explicitly mention the fact. This plot device is not as funny as one could imagine, though, at least not in the long run.
Simon looks again a
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simon is invited to Gile's home to see a famous 'telly' reality decorator to the stars, redo Lady Prunella's drawing room being redone for the show.

Admist screams of 'red' and 'drawing room' causes fainting spells and more. Much more, in fact, murder of the star decorator draped upon the sofa in Red!

Once again, Simon is asked for his unofficial help by Chief of police, Robin and unearths all types of sinister sins among the family of the deocrator himself.

This book is humourous and keeps you w
Elke
Jul 09, 2008 rated it liked it
The third installment of the Simon Kirby-Jones vampire mystery series opens with the murder of a famous interior decorator, who visited Blitherington Hall to redecorate a room for a new episode of his tv series. In the tried and tested Marple/Poirot way Simon will investigate and finally solve the murder mystery. As always, the book provides a very entertaining reading. Unfortunately, this also brings a kind of routine with it. The anecdotes and quotations sound familiar, likewise the amusing de ...more
Diane Heath
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a book I got at the library. I picked it and the one next to it (Baked to Death) thinking they were typical cozy mysteries about food in some way. Ha. This was a fun introduction for me to the life of Simon Kirby-Jones. He is a gay vampire who is now living in a small English village. He is the local "Miss Marple"/"Poirot". A famous celebrity (interior decorator) has arrived to remodel one room in the local Blithington Hall. Unfortunately he is found in the drawing room as a victim of th ...more
Earl
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Posted to Death. Faked to Death. Decorated to Death. Baked to Death. Books by Dean James. I wanted a light mystery series and found this series of 4 books featuring a gay vampire detective- Simon Kirby Jones. "Gay vampire" was the ploy used to differentiate itself from other cozy mysteries but the character was taking anti-vampire pills which defeated the whole purpose. Also, there seemed to be an unbelievably high number of gay characters in each book. Certain characters, dialogue and situation ...more
Julia Wood
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't normally start a series in the middle but I was desperate for a read today and I had this on hand. It was actually a good read overall as far as the mystery and everything went. Definitely reminiscent of Agatha Christie, whom I love. However, I couldn't stand the catty gay comments and attitudes (I wouldn't have enjoyed it even if they were opposite genders) and the British undertones. Not my thing. I don't think I'll go on to read the others because I can't get into the characters. Perh ...more
Carmen
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a fun cozy mystery. Well, if you call an expatriate-murder-solving-homosexual-vampire a cozy mystery!

This tale was fun from beginning to end. In the vein (haha) of Sookie Stackhouse, it is light-hearted, enjoyable and ties up all loose ends by the last page. The writing was fresh, energetic, and intelligent. I love the use of words such as "harridan", "loquacious" and "fishwife". I will read more by this author!
Clare
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a fun, quick read. Not sure I will read any more in the series, though. The main character is supposed to be an American in England but he speaks like a Brit, which is kind of disconcerting. It was a good mystery, though, and had some decidedly unusual factors that made it more interesting than your basic "cozy."
Rosemary
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this and if it was possible to give 3.5 stars I would, but it was a little bit too formulaic to give 4. The secondary characters were all rather cardboard. Still, it was fun and I will definitely go on reading them.
Drianne
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
Definitely enjoyed it.
Theresa
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book. i liked all the characters and i didnt suss the end of the story was gripped to the end of the book didnt want it to end
Sineala
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Gay vampire mystery author solves locked-room murder mystery! Whee!
AngryGreyCat
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Excellent cozy mystery. Full review here: http://angrygreycatreads.com/2013/07/...
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, done, mystery, owned, 2012
Good gay mystery in which Lady Prunella foolishly invites a decorator, famous for his bad manners and extreme room makeovers show, to redecorate the drawing room.
Barbara
Mar 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
df
Windy
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Third in this gay vamire, amateur sleuth series. Nice to see the series improves as it goes along rather than flagging. Light and entertaining.
Todd
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good read. Sometimes a little overwrought, but incredibly fun to read.
Kelasher
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing

My favorite gay vampire detective living in the Cotswolds series.
Karen
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed this addition to the series. I love Dean James characters and the plot. I could picture everything that was happening in the book and loved it! I highly recommend this book and series!
Hannah Givens
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
He's refining his writing style, but the cast of characters wasn't as interesting in this one. Still Team Robin, but Giles is growing on me.
Amy
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
Another cozy starring Simon Kirby-Jones, the gay vampire. This one was a great story. Again, not too sure about the vampire aspect.
Jmcrossfl
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying this series of books by Dean James. I can't wait for the next one!
Dan
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
.. a series to ponder and laugh
Natalie
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another fun romp in Snupperton Mumsley! I do love these books, silly nonsense really, but such fun!
I think this one was better than no 2!!
Troy
Aug 16, 2013
Mary
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason & Scott Carpenter, #1)
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 1 (Vampire Files, #1-3)
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • Vieux Carré Voodoo (Scotty Bradley, #4)
  • Aaron's Wait (Elliott Smith #2)
  • Vampire Vow (Vampires, #1)
  • Blood Is the New Black
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company, #4)
  • Someone Like You
  • Aunt Dimity, Vampire Hunter (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #13)
  • The Man Everybody Was Afraid Of (Dave Brandstetter, #4)
  • Pisces Rising (Elizabeth Chase, #4)
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
  • The Jade Owl (Jade Owl Legacy, #1)

Simon Kirby-Jones Mystery (4 books)
  • Posted To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #1)
  • Faked To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Baked To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #4)