Start by marking “Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales” as Want to Read:
Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales

Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales

For more than sixty years, the imagination of Ray Bradbury has opened doors into remarkable places, ushering us across unexplored territories of the heart and mind while leading us inexorably toward a profound understanding of ourselves and the universe we inhabit. In this landmark volume, America's preeminent storyteller offers us one hundred treasures from a lifetime of ...more
Published April 5th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published August 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bradbury Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bradbury Stories

Start your review of Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
Arun Divakar
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Dear Mr. Bradbury,

I took a lot of time to finish your book. Not because the stories were complicated to read or because this collection was a big one, it was for the simple reason that I wanted to savor the aftertaste of each and every one of the tales. After I finished a tale, I closed the book and my eyes to relive those images you so vividly explained. You made me relive my childhood days of carefree wanderings and never ending hours of play. How as a child you never feel the sun as you play
Rebecca McNutt
Ray Bradbury's stories never disappoint. Some I liked more than others, but each one is unique and each one is not only whimsical and chilling, but often also giving metaphors for the problems in society.
Lyn
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Science fiction and fantasy fans are familiar with seeing oodles of anthologies and collections of short stories from the Grandmaster on bookshelves. Bradbury was a great writer and while Fahrenheit 451 is his masterpiece, I submit here that his other great contribution to our literature was his prolific short story writing.

This is exceptional in that it collects stories from across his fifty plus years of putting ink on paper, from the 1950s to just before he died in 2012. We also see the
Sesana
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's always hard to review a collection of short stories. It's especially hard with a collection like this. For one, it's massive. 100 short stories, nearly 900 pages, and a lethal weapon in eleven states. This is a long term investment of reading time. Probably it's better to keep it on your bedside table and read a story or two a night, but it can be read straight through.

There are many impressive things about this collection, but the consistent quality has to top the list. Even the stories
T.D. Whittle
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews, ray-bradbury
This is an excellent collection. Like everything else Bradbury, I find some of the stories simply exquisite: finely written, chilling, clear, nothing extraneous, unique (especially in their time); others, I find sentimental and reveling in a kind of aching nostalgia whose absolute sweetness I cannot believe in: ode to the shiny, unblemished American Midwest boyhood, circa 1930s. Nevertheless, there is something worth savoring in the least of Bradbury's works. And the best of his works are small ...more
Allison
Jun 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: spooky fiction lovers
I am no where near being done, BUT I love it too much not to start raving about Ray Bradbury and his magical writing. My current favorites are "Banshee", "Midnight In the Month of June", and "The Whole Town is Sleeping." His stories are full of rich-sensory images, and an almost child-like wonder towards things that go bump in the night.
classic reverie
Great navigation and no errors noted. Will make notes and highlights here but review short stories over the title book page.
Book Riot Community
After rewatching the carnival X-Files episode, I remembered Something Wicked This Way Comes. After reading that again, I went on a huge Bradbury binge, which culminated in reading all 100 of the stories in the mammoth Bradbury Stories, without getting distracted by any other books during the reading.

He had a peerless imagination and took such joy in writing. This book is an absolute treasure, and will serve as a perfect way to revisit (or discover) his best short work. Also, if you’re a Bradbury
Paul Brown
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
I quit while almost half-way though this book.
Life is too short.
These stories are not his hit records, but rather the B-sides.
I can't take it anymore. Every story in this book makes you
wish you were reading something else.
Maybe there are better stories later in the book.
I am not caring anymore.
I'm actually a fan of Bradbury too, but these stories are just soooooo weak.
Cleolinda
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Not a complete collection (there are several glaring omissions, like "The Veldt" and "A Sound of Thunder"), but it's the biggest one I've found so far. A nice mix of his Martian, Irish, sci-fi and childhood stories, ranging from the '40s to the '90s (!).
Bob
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
It's taken me a few days to get around to writing this review. As soon as I completed the book, we went on a short vacation.

I don't think I'm old, but some of you may disagree. The last time I read a book by Bradbury was in High School back in roughly 19xx. So, it's been a while and I had forgotten when a great writer he was.

Bradbury stories is very long, almost 1,000 pages, including 100 of his best short stories. The reading is easy, quick and enjoyable. In fact, I have on only a few
Martyn Lovell
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This collection of Bradbury shorts contains 100 stories spread over 888 pages. Though Bradbury is best known for Sci Fi, the stories range widely beyond that.

I tried to read the book straight through, but gave up after about 350 pages. There were too many weak stories that I did not enjoy, and too little of the Sci Fi that I was most looking forward to. A challenge with stories whose average length is 8.8 pages is that many are short and so it isn't easy to 'give up' on the weak stories before
Kevin Lucia
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I possibly say? There are some stories that you want to skip over...but not many in 100, so I'm giving this a 5 star review. So very comprehensive, and the thought that he wrote even more than THESE stories is mind-boggling...
Kenny
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-scifi
Everything a short story should be: succinct, unique, and perfectly written. Plus, Bradbury does it 100 times! Easily one of the best writers of the last century.
Jean
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book took a while. Part of that was because it is massive (888 pages); part of it is because this is the kind of book that you savor. It you read too much of it in a stretch, then you start losing the beauty of the writing. Bradbury paints pictures in his stories. Some of these are science fiction, some are fantasy, and other have just a touch of horror. It isn't the horror that leaves nothing to the imagination, but rather the one that you just know that what happens after the last word is ...more
Claire
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
It seems that Ray Bradbury and I disagree as to what his best short stories are. Some of these stories I had never read before, and were pretty interesting to read, but many of them were quite forgettable (at least in my opinion), even if they were beautifully written. I love Bradbury's writing style.

I'm also doing some spring cleaning, and had to make some pretty tough decisions as to which books I'm keeping, and which ones are going to new homes. This book ended up in my "To Loving New Home"
Chad Gibbons
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Look no further for Bradbury short stories. This book is comprised of 100 of Ray Bradbury's stories picked out by the author himself as his own favorites. There is absolutely no reason for you not to read these stories. Bradbury is one of the greatest living storytellers today. And this is the best of them.
J.S. Bailey
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Things I learned from this collection:

1. Mars would be a crappy place to live.
2. Lots of things happen at Heber Finn's pub.
3. Don't trust anyone you know; they might be a robot doppelganger.
Sheri
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, well known for science fiction, fantasy and horror. There is also another collection, "The Stories Of Ray Bradbury" and none of the stories are duplicated.
Matthew K
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my revised review of Ray Bradbury Stories, by the one and only, Ray Bradbury. This Book is an 900 page book of short stories, and they are very fun and exciting. My favorite story in it is probably “The Dragon” because of it’s very vagueness and how it does not use the characters’ names. My favorite part is the plot twist at the end. If you do not want it to be spoiled I suggest you stop reading now. There are two people, assumed to be knights. Person #2 starts talking about a mighty ...more
Jessica
Can we just admit that Bradbury was one of our greatest American writers? Can we all just agree on that? Is there a writer that speaks so clearly about humanity, even when he's writing about martians? (No.)

Some of these stories were chilling, some were funny, some were heart-breaking. I had never read any of his Irish stories before, and found them to be delightful. My particular favorite of those was The Cold Wind and the Warm, in which fairies return to Ireland . . . just not the kind of
Dans Mon Arbre
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ray Bradbury is one of the greatest storytellers that ever lived. To learn just how great, you have to delve into the tremendous wealth of short stories he has written.

Bradbury is in many ways a Norman Rockwell with words. While the science fiction aspects of his stories are very dated due to our advances in science, the humanity in them will never age. With every story there is something so human and so easy to relate to on a deep level.

The stories in this collection run a huge gamut of genres
➷
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like this book could've had a completely different title... and probably should have. I am a huge Bradbury fan (and have read the other 100-story compilation, along with Illustrated Man and Martian Chronicles), but I had never heard of any of these-- except for about three.

I did like the stories, overall, but there's a reason Bradbury is known for his speculative fiction and science fiction, and therefore it confused me that the collection was mostly his historical fiction and realistic
Frank
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, well I haven't read the whole thing. It's a collection of short stories, I haven't even read half of them. But what I have read is pretty good. I enjoy Bradbury's short stories more than I liked Farenheit 451. His stories range from his typical sci-fi morality stories, to more comical fare, my favorite being the story of an old man and a young boy in a sleepy town in Illinois who make a mummy and put it in a corn field. The whole town gets really excited when the farmer discovers this ...more
Jonathan
Ray Bradbury is one of the finest writers and imaginations of the 20th century, and that immense talent is on full display in this large collection of 100 of his tales.

The stories here range from sci-fi, american literature, literary fiction, horror, thriller and many stories that simply defy any attempt to tuck them neatly into a genre. There is absolute magic in these words and anyone who wants to experience just how purely magical fiction can get should not hesitate to read this.

Short fiction
Jeff
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
What can I say about a collection of 100 short stories. Many of them were awesome, like the Toynbee Convector, and others were misses for me. However, Ray Bradbury in general is like wrapping up in a warm blanket in front of a cozy fire during a stormy day or night. Comfort food for the mind, and yet some of it is very stark and pointed. Shocking, even. I love it. I was reminded of some old favorites, and noticed others were missing. I also found some new ones. I will refer to and reread this ...more
Carol
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I did it! I read all 100 short stories, even though it took numerous rentals from the library. To call him a great sci-fi writer does not really cover it. His stories, including the celebrated Martian Chronicles (although not in any particular order), run from futuristic, bizarre, thought provoking, and heartbreaking. He was a visionary and master at setting the stage. I enjoyed my journey of sharing the twisted and extraordinary world of Bradbury.
John
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I confess. I haven't read the whole thing, but I've read enough to give it five stars easy. I like to open it up at random and read a story. I am rarely disappointed. One of the world's greatest short story writers.
Gale
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some of these stories are better than others. But Ray Bradbury's imagination is always a joy to behold. His stories inspire me and awaken child-like thoughts and feelings. I always enjoy going back to them.
Trina
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Many of the stories were interconnected. Far too many Martian/Mars stories for my taste. Interesting to see the progression of the decades and of Bradbury's writing career.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Library mania 1 5 Dec 03, 2013 05:03PM
What does this encompass? 2 18 Jun 20, 2012 01:42PM

• The Complete Stories, Vol 1
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume One, 1929-1964 (Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #1)
  • Deathbird Stories
  • The Complete Fiction of H. P. Lovecraft: At the Mountains of Madness, The Call of Cthulhu, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Shadow over Innsmouth, ... Witch House, The Silver Key, The Temple…
  • The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories
  • The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 1: The Short Happy Life of the Brown Oxford
  • The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
  • Dear Rosie Hughes
  • The Best of Richard Matheson
  • Robot Visions
  • Perchance to Dream
Ray Douglas Bradbury, American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at ...more
“The library was like a stone quarry where no rain had fallen in ten thousand years. Way off in that direction: silence. Way off in that direction: hush. It was the time between things finished and things begun. Nobody died here. Nobody was born. The library, and all its books, just were. We” 5 likes
“Mr. Shaw fixed his eyes on a star some twenty light-years away. “What are we?” he asked. “Why, we are the miracle of force and matter making itself over into imagination and will. Incredible. The Life Force experimenting with forms. You for one. Me for another. The Universe has shouted itself alive. We are one of the shouts. Creation turns in its abyss. We have bothered it, dreaming ourselves to shapes. The void is filled with slumbers; ten billion on a billion on a billion bombardments of light and material that know not themselves, that sleep moving and move but finally to make an eye and waken on themselves. Among so much that is flight and ignorance, we are the blind force that gropes like Lazarus from a billion-light-year tomb. We summon ourselves. We say, O Lazarus Life Force, truly come ye forth. So the Universe, a motion of deaths, fumbles to reach across Time to feel its own flesh and know it to be ours. We touch both ways and find each other miraculous because we are One.” Mr. Shaw turned to glance at his young friend.” 3 likes