Start by marking “The Little Gentleman” as Want to Read:
The Little Gentleman

Philippa Pearce

The Little Gentleman

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

One day old Mr. Franklin asks Bet to go out to the field and read aloud from a book about earthworms. Why? Who is listening? Soon, Bet becomes the most trusted friend of her listener, who turns out to be a bewitched mole.

At first she and the mole simply sit together in their field, reading, talking, sharing hopes and fears. But soon Bet is helping the Little Gentleman unra

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Recorded Books (first published January 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Gentleman

Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Little Gentleman by Philippa Pearce

The Little Gentleman written by Phillipa Pearce and illustrated by Patrick Benson is the story of a young girl called Elizabeth (Bet) and her developing relationship with a talking mole that lives in a nearby meadow. They become friends and start to share each others life stories and experiences. We learn about the moles immortality and Bet’s role in trying to make him a normal mortal mole. The book focuses on the how young people relate to others and how
Christina Baehr
If Edith Nesbit had written this, it would have been funny, humane, and touching.
This is the second time I have tried to read a Pearce book, thinking, "This looks charming." But no. The word is dreary. Sorry, but I'm not giving her another chance.
The only thing I enjoyed was the key historical reference to the Jacobites' beloved "little gentleman".
Annette
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Franklin has fallen off his ladder and has a cast. His neighbor Mrs. Allum and her granddaughter Bet come to help him with domestic duties. Mr. Franklin asks Bet to go and sit on a log near the river and read aloud from a book about Earthworms by Charles Darwin. This unusual request by Mr. Franklin and even more unusual and miraculous events come to pass. Young Bet becomes friends with a mole!
The mole tells his lengthy adventurous story to Bet. She tries to understand his mammal life, and he
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
What a gem! It might be that I was just in the right mood when reading it… but it is simply charming, in a most “sensible” way. The dry humorous tone mixed with such tenderness of Bet’s friendships with both the Mole and Mr. Franklin absolutely transfixed me. I couldn’t pull myself out of this make-believe world. David is almost done reading it to Lily and they both agree that this is quite a tale!
Sweetmongoose
There are some beautiful parts in this book, but the writing is patchy and I had a sense of missed opportunities and a kind of far-fetched forcing of the conceit of the book (a mole of significance in British history who has had eternal life forced on him by witchcraft). There was an unfinished sense to the book in terms of the design and artfulness of narrative. I did like the main characters and felt the emotion of the friendship between girl and mole created by the author.
Leah Beecher
Another bed time book with the girls that we had to force ourselves to finish. Was promising, but just too drawn out, and quite frankly by the end, no one gave a flip about that mole!
Our next read:
Harry Potter on audio CD!
Belynda Smith
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: childrens
Pearce skilfully weaves history with a story about friendship and sacrifice. Large text and short chapters shouldn't fool you, this is a challenging read for 10+
Bridget R. Wilson
Interesting book that uses and old legend about William III of England as its basis. The little Gentleman is a talking immortal mole. A fun read.
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 9 and up
Shelves: kidbooks
This book has a very old-fashioned charm about it.
Heather
A rather strange book, but interesting.
Andrea
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
A very interesting book about a talking mole who became extra special when a spell was cast on him. I liked the characters and the relationships created by the author were very good.
Cupcake Girl
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very calm read, nothing too dangerous or scary. But that dosen't mean that it's not brilliant!
Nancy
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
A lovely book with a surprising inspiration from British history. I enjoyed it a lot.
LeeAnn G
Interesting book.
Carrie Schindele Cupples
One of my favorite favorites.
Katharine
Jun 14, 2008
Jess Teggart
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Philippa Pearce OBE was an English author of children's books. Her most famous work is the time slip fantasy novel Tom's Midnight Garden, which won the 1958 Carnegie Medal from the Library Association, as the year's outstanding children's book by a British subject. Pearce was four further times a commended runner-up for the Medal.

Pearce wrote over 30 books, including A Dog So Small (1962), Mi
More about Philippa Pearce...

“...And you probably have little idea of how delicious - how toothsome - how scrumptious - they are when eaten fresh. Of course, I have my worm larder -" He corrected himself. "Worm larders, well stocked, but the earthworm pursued, or promptly pounced upon, and eaten fresh - as I've said - Ah! the earthworm, there's nothing like it! You can have your slugs and your wireworms and your leatherjackets and as many ground beetles as you like to eat - snap! crackle! crunch! You can have them all! There's nothing to equal the near liquefaction of worm meat as I pass its length through my fingers, sieving out the earth granules from the creature's incessant feeding. Or alternatively tear it to eat at once in great guzzling, gulping chunks.” 2 likes