Start by marking “The Christmas Throwaway” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Throwaway

The Christmas Throwaway

Christmas is a time for giving - what do you do when no one gives a damn?

For Zachary Weston Christmas means sleeping on a churchyard bench in the freezing snow with nothing better in his future. Thrown out of his home for being gay, he is left without money or, it seems, anywhere to go.

Until a stranger shows him that some people do give a lot more than a damn.

Ben Hamilto
ebook, Second Edition, 73 pages
Published November 24th 2012 by Love Lane Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Throwaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Throwaway

T.A. Webb
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So I guess a couple of things you should know about me are that I was CFO for a residential treatment center for abused adolescents for the past ten years, and that I am a gay man. Some of the kids were gay, some not. All had suffered some level of abuse - mental, physical, sexual. These were 12 - 17 year old kids, most of whom were abandoned or neglected, beaten, raped, prostituted out. We were one step down from psychiatric hospitalization, and some of the stories I could tell you...you cannot ...more
Gigi
This is one of those no-brainer Christmas classics that is so filled with warm fuzzies that you can actually feel the Christmas spirit while reading. Generosity without need of reciprocation. Warmth and comfort. Love and joy. And, most importantly, family.

Do yourself a favor and read this short Christmas present from Ms. Scott. I promise it will get you ready for a happy Christmas holiday.

Oh, and there are even a few hot sex scenes, AFTER Zach is a few years older. Bonus!
SheReadsALot
A Boy Meets Boy Review

December Book of the Month!

TWO & A HALF STARS--Holiday Christmas Romances...I read them but I do not gravitate as quickly because I am hesitant of the Santa flavored sugar jizz (Peppermint Candy Cane flavored, of course) that is dumped throughout the damn story.

A lot of reviews are like this:

I'm closer to this:

Get that Santa jizz out of my face!

So please...hear me out. I'm not a grinch, I just can't take the sugar cookie/gum drops/gingerbread sugared sugar that miraculo
Vio
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and emotional my heart broke for Zach, unloved and abandoned by the people who should have accepted him, instead he was thrown away like a piece of rubbish. He ends up being homeless and almost starving, rescued by Ben who arrives like a knight in shining armor, who takes him home to warmth and safety. The relationship between Ben and Zach evolved slowly, they had a lot of time to get to know each other before they finally became lovers. A wonderful Christmas story about acceptanc
Natasha
I read this as part of the Boy Meets Boy Review’s monthly ‘Happy Hour’ chat where a bunch of us yahoo’s read a book and then all gather together in a chatroom and talk about the book. It’s awesome fun.

Moving on. 4.5 STARS

Spoilers below.

This book was very special. It was a short, relatively fast read that never left me wanting. I’m usually not a fan of fluffy books like this. This kind of fluff is almost never for me. Never ever. I like drama, action, turmoil.. this book didn’t really have an abu
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I loved it! This was different than what I was expecting, the story takes place over two years and I am more used to Christmas stories taking place over a few weeks. You really get to know Ben and Zach in this time and you can’t help but love them both. There is a very happy ending but it takes them a while to really get there.

Zach had it pretty rough and at some point in chapter 11 I just started crying and I am not sure if it was a happy cry or a sad cry. It was an emotional chapter and I don’
Ami
Dec 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Seventeen-year old Zach Weston (just two days shy of his eighteen birthday) is a throwaway after being beaten and kicked out of his house by his homophobic father. On Christmas Eve, he tries to find solace by sleeping on a churchyard bench, in a small town of Hill Valley. However, rookie cop Ben Hamilton finds him and decides to take the young teenager to his house for hot food and warm bed. With the care and support from the Hamiltons and Ben's friends, Zach finds that such thing as Christmas m ...more
Don Bradshaw
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
R.J. Scott has outdone herself once again with this newest book. Zach Weston is a 17 year old throwaway, beaten severely by his homophobic father and kicked out of his home at gun point when he refused to join the army. Alone, starving and cold, Zach is rustled out of a beautiful Christmas dream while sleeping on a snow covered bench by Officer Ben Hamilton. It's Christmas Eve and Ben takes pity on the poor boy by taking him home for hot food and a warm bed instead of to jail. Zach's life will ...more
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
This Book is Absolutely Magical!

Zachary and Ben...In My Eyes....

Adorable!

Hey You Can't Sleep Here....

♥That opening line pulled me right in...and OMG , what was said close to the closing line was so freaking adorable and perfect! (view spoiler)

♥IMO~ RJ Scott can close a book with style and leave me with a wonderful warm toe curling smile for days on end~I had a few niggles but, ove
Betryal
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-reads
So far this is the best Christmas story I've read... Yet. I was truly touched by the story. The characters are very loving and caring and didn't hesitate to open their home and their hearts when it was needed most.

Sometimes I read a story that is nothing but sex, sex and more sex and it takes away the beauty of true story that's hidden within, but you won't find that in this book. It's a Christmas miracle and love story with a very heartfelt HEA ending.

RJ hasn't disappointed me yet and if you'
Mark
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a beautiful story for Christmas. About finding a home, love and acceptance, giving and goodwill. I loved it from beginning to end and gave me the warm cosy feeling inside that comes from knowing despite all the bad things that happens there is also a lot of good going on. We just don’t hear enough about these things unfortunately.

Zach has been thrown out of his home by his abusive father because he is gay and is now on the streets. I never heard the term “throwaway” used before for
Ann
This was really a great Christmas novella and it packed a lot into under 100 pages.

Zach is a 17 year old throwaway who was kicked out of his house when his bigoted gather found out he was gay. With little money, no family and the middle of winter to deal with he makes it as far as a bus ticket will take him. He ends up in a small town and is trying to get some sleep on a bench outside a church when he is roused by Ben, one of the town’s sheriffs. While Zach is expecting to be told to just move a
Audrey
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: man-love
I read this twice before deciding on a rating. While there are some problems, such as pretty big time jumps and some non-Americanisms (even though the story is set in the U.S.), in the end I'm going with the way this story made me feel, and that's really good.

I really liked it, and the sweetness was perfect for a nice little holiday story. The setting may seem utopian, but sometimes you really just need that in order to get away from the bad things that happen out there in the world. I cried aft
Catherine
I'll be honest, R.J. Scott isn't a favourite author of mine. I find a lot of her writing stilted, her phrasing overly formal and awkwardly British (which wouldn't be bad except that she chooses to set her books in the United States), her characters can feel underdeveloped, and her plots often feel rushed.

All of that was the case in The Christmas Throwaway and yet the story was sprinkled with just enough Christmas crack to bump it from a 2.5 to a full 3 star rating from me. What can I say? I'm a
Icedave

Quick and sweet Christmas holiday romance novella and comfort-read. And I loved it, mostly,

...just...

the last 20% felt rushed as the “highlights” of the next years were described including (view spoiler). This could have been a very lovable novel by fleshing that part more out!
Serena Yates
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, holiday
Oh, this story tugged at my heartstrings! The opening scene alone, with Zach sleeping on an icy-cold bench in a church graveyard made me shudder in sympathy and wonder what had happened to him. It immediately pulled me into the story, and there I stayed, watching his life's drama unfold before my eyes. I was totally fascinated by both Zach and Ben, the cop who finds and rescues him, as well as Ben's amazing family and friends. It all makes for a wonderful story – Christmas or not. For me, the sp ...more
Manfred
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
The blurb for this Christmas story was really promising. Zac was thrown out by his family for being gay and spends Christmas eve alone outside on a park bench. Ben is a young cop who finds him and takes him home to his family. What could have been an outstanding read for me was unfortunately quite disappointing (careful there are some spoilers ahead).
The story spans across 3 years and one of my major problems was, that it was more or less told halfway through.
Not much happening and what did ha
Danny Tyran
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good little story about an important subject: throwaways and abuse children and teenagers. If you want to know more, read T.A. Webb's review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm happy to have read it because I'll participate to the publication of a collection of shorts on Christmas themes. The collection will be sold to get money for Le Refuge, a place for homeless or in need youths. I needed to find ideas and this is a good start.

The sex scenes were o.k. to me. The fact that they were t
Gerry Burnie
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Gerry B's Book Reviews - http://www.gerrycan.wordpress.com

At the risk of seeming Grinch-like at this time of year, I found "The Christmas Throwaway" by RJ Scott [Silver Publishing, 2010] a bit too saccharin for my taste.

The premise of the story is that Zachary Weston, an almost-eighteen-year-old castaway, thrown out by an abusive, homophobic father, takes refuge in a small town with a small police force and young cop (Ben Hamilton) who happens to be gay.

Moved by the young lad’s plight and the sp
Karen K
4.5 stars.
Lovely holiday story with just the perfect amount of hurt, comfort, sex and love. What a wonderfully giving family - I totally want them in my life. I love how Zach evolved and came into his own with such loving help and I really appreciated that Ben didn't jump into a relationship with him. This is portrayed as a really grown-up relationship and in the end, it and the story was really beautiful.
Eli Easton
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is what really good writing in this genre looks like, folks. Deft,seamless prose, really well-drawn characters, a romance that blossomed slowly and believably, hot male characters and plenty of supporting structure in the form of a good family and just a bit of angst. Oh, and really hot sex that built up over time rather than two guys fucking on page 2. Bravo to R.J. Scott and I am definitely going to read more of her work.
Kaje Harper
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about Zach, an abused teenager thrown out of his home just before Christmas, and Ben, the young gay cop with a great family who finds him sleeping out in the cold one evening. Zach's past is painful, but this story is more sweet than angsty. Ben is a good man, and his careful handling of Zach is lovely to see. His family is all one could wish for.
Breann
So cute and sweet and heartwarming.

Over at Boy Meets Boy, there were lots of feels about this book and a couple of times where we just needed some hugs.

Isabel
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holidays, short, erotica, m-m
This is a wonderful and sweet story about generosity, unselfishness and acceptance!

I can't even wonder how parents can throwaway their children just because they are different from them... It's unacceptable that what happened to Zach in this book , actually happens in our days... It's a sad reality, and I wish I could help all of them, like Ben selflessly helped Zach!!!
Chris
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Very good m/m holiday romance about a throwaway, a nearly eighteen-year old whose abusive and controlling father kicked him out for being gay, and about the young cop who finds him half-starved and half-frozen, trying to sleep in a churchyard. I hadn't read anything by RJ Scott before, but I'll definitely need to read more from her.
Jenni Lea
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: Justin
Shelves: bmbr, comfort-reads

Review to come...

Julianna
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Male/Male Romance w/a Sweet Story; Virgin or Tortured Heroes
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" From the moment I first read the synopsis and excerpt of The Christmas Throwaway, I was drawn into the story and wanted to know more. I was almost positive I would enjoy it, even though at the time I had never read a male/male romance, and I have to say it did not disappoint. The Christmas Throwaway is the heartwarming holiday tale of a young rookie cop and his mom who willingly take in a teenage throwaway who he found half-frozen, sleeping on a bench in the c
Tina
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

Oh boy, this story tugged at my heartstrings like no other before. It’s about Zach, a young gay boy who was tossed out of his home, simply for being himself, and Ben who finds him sleeping on a church graveyard bench on Christmas Eve. Just thinking about a poor 17years old homeless boy made my heart bleed and wonder what the fuck had happened to him.

Zach has grown up in an abusive home with a homophobic father and a mother who just closes her eyes and allows it to happen. Beaten and kicked out
Stacey Jo
Like always, RJ Scott does not disappoint. Here we get a story filled with depth: three dimensional characters who have to overcome emotional issues/baggage and characters who are strong enough to help them through it.

Zachary Weston is discovered sleeping on a bench outside a church on Christmas Eve by rookie cop, Ben Hamilton. Instead of reporting him though, Ben takes him home to his mom's house and gives him food, shelter, and kindness. Zach is introduced to Ben's family and slowly finds a p
Camille Adams
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m-rom-erotica
It's my fault...I've been in a Cinderfella mood last couple of days and so sought out that list on Listopia. I might have guessed from the other two I'd read that nothing good would continue to come from this theme. *sigh*

The unrealism (which, I suppose, is to be expected given it is Cinderella after all), the poor writing, the lack of a real plot, the lack of any development, the poor characterisations and the employ of stock characters, the ridiculous sex scenes, yup all present and accounted
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Zach not Ben's "type" 3 43 Jan 18, 2013 04:31PM

• Christmas with Danny Fit
  • Making His List
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Something to Believe In
  • Something for Santa
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • What Child Is This? (Crossing Borders, #2)
  • His for the Holidays
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • Carol of the Bellskis (Holidays with the Bellskis, #1)
  • I'll Run Away For The Holidays
  • Personal Shopper
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Hopes and Fears
  • His Christmas Wish (Men of Charlestown, #2)
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
A USA Today bestselling author, RJ Scott has published over one hundred novels after discovering romance in books at a very young age. She realized that if there wasn’t love on the page, she could create it in her head, and has become a lifelong writer.

She lives and works out of her home in the beautiful English countryside, spends her spare time reading, watching films, and enjoying time with her
“Research had given him the basics,
Tab A into Slot B using Product C after ensuring Product D
is firmly in place. The mechanics of it were simple. The
prospect, however, of having an A that big anywhere near
his B was mildly worrying”
25 likes