Start by marking “The Heavenward Path” as Want to Read:
The Heavenward Path

The Heavenward Path

(Mitsuko #2)

Mitsuko is being haunted by ghosts and bad luck. An angry spirit commands her to keep a forgotten promise and assigns her a series of impossible tasks. She turns to the mischievous shape-shifter Goranu for help. Together they journey through a landscape of Japanese myths and legends made real. This sequel to Little Sister is a mythical tale of adventure and star-crossed lo ...more
Published March 15th 1998 by Harcourt Brace

To ask other readers questions about The Heavenward Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heavenward Path

Kiera Beddes
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kaila
I read Little Sister for my October book of the month, and I absolutely fell in love with it. It was charming, witty, and heart-breaking, and reminded me why sometimes I can love young adult books as much if not more than books meant for adults. The Heavenward Path, published a mere two years after its predecessor, had, unfortunately, none of these traits.

Mitsuko is two years older now, and she goes through some typical teenage angst. Whereas in the first book, she was confronted with challenges
Nancy Meservier
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Little Sister was one of my favorite reads of 2008, so I was very much looking forward to reading The Heavenward Path, the out-of-print sequel. I bought an ex-library copy on amazon used. Once it arrived in the mail, I immediately dove into its pages. Although the prose is not quite as beautiful as Little Sister, I was very much seduced by Mitsuko’s second adventure.

When The Heavenward Path opens, Mitsuko is spending her time at the Sukaku Temple where she is studying Buddhism. Her serenity is i
Liana
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Samantha
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Part of the 2015 Reading Challenge: A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit (Japan)

This story followed up well with the first book, as with all Mitsuko went through, it's hard to imagine her being able to settle back into her place in society. I loved seeing Mitsuko's inner struggle in this book to fulfill her expected role but to not lose herself in the process, and I love that such a small detail from the first book (that I had forgotten about) came back in a big way.

Mitsuko was som
Estara
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
The heroine is of course somewhat older than in the first book - right at the awkward age of teenager - and gets to be quite selfish, but her lessons go on. I still never quite understood why Goranu kept after her for so long, nor went to the extremes that he did. She seems to chose her path mostly for her own desires, which is extremely strange when it has to do with becoming a monk...

The sister whom she so desperately tried to save in the first book doesn't show up at all.
Heidi
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it
This sequel to Little Sister really helps flesh out the themes and characters further. Sometimes sequels are really hard to swallow, but this was done tastefully. Basically, they belong between the same book cover.
Sarah Anne
I didn't like this one quite as much as I did "Little Sister." I felt that Mitsuko wasn't the same character anymore. Granted, two years and living in a temple could change a person, but I still felt that she was very different. Still a great book; I liked it.
Kasey
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the book, but hated the ending. As much as I love the phrase, you decide!, I don't think that idea should end a book. I liked the theme of the chapter titles and the strong Buddhist connection. Over all the book was great, but the end was just down right frustrating!
Kellie
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing one! So glad when I found it!
Angel
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
GAAAHAHAHHA THIS BOOK omg i don't even know what to say jsut Goranu yes that's all.
Isabel
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It felt shorther then the first novel. It was still an enjorable read but I had wished for a more final conclusion between Mitsuko and Goranu.
Karen
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
A solid read but it is not as compelling as its predecessor. A great story for anyone interested in Japanese myths and legends.
Brittany
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first. I love it!
Alex
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
First reread in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaars.
Anna
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the first one, and this sequel did not disappoint me. I enjoyed it a lot.
Rhea
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I still like the idea (fantasy Heian Japan), but I have to say I preferred the first book.
Yvonne
Oct 05, 2015
Liked00dness
Aug 07, 2015
Cindy Chau
Aug 12, 2012
Sierra
rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2014
Jan 02, 2012
Toni Zinsmeister
rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2009

• G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
  • The Class Trip (Sweet Valley Twins Super Edition, #1)
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Wishful Thinking (Swann Sisters Chronicles #1)
  • Red-Hot and Royal
  • Of Darkness and Crowns (Goddess Wars, #2)
  • For Hating Me You Sure Are Possessive
  • The Blue Viking (Viking I, #5)
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1 (Ghost Hunt, #1)
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • Marry Me, Maddie
  • Mona Lisa Eclipsing  (Monère: Children of the Moon, #5)
  • Valentine's Day Is Killing Me
Kara Mia Dalkey is an American author of young adult fiction and historical fantasy. She was born in Los Angeles and has lived in Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Seattle. Much of her fiction is set in the Heian period of Japan.

She was married to author John Barnes; they divorced in 2001. She is a member of the Pre-Joycean Fellowship and of the Scribblies. She is a graduate of the Fashion In

Mitsuko (2 books)