Start by marking “Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers” as Want to Read:
Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers

Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Ways of Reading continues to profoundly influence the teaching of writing by offering a uniquely exciting and challenging approach to first-year composition, integrating reading, writing, and critical thinking with an ambitious selection of readings and editorial features. With carefully honed apparatus that helps students work with the challenging selections, Ways of Read ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Bedford Books (first published December 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Ways of Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ways of Reading

Joyce
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays
This is a college level textbook that I found after moving and have no idea when or where I picked it up. The essays contained in it are wonderful; James Baldwin, Walter Benjamin, John Berger and Adrienne Rich are just a few of the contributors. It will take me some time to finish this because the essays require reading, re-reading, reading again and thinking through the arguments. The essays are not new or recently composed, some of you may be familiar with them already, but I had read only two ...more
sologdin
best anthology to teach freshman composition. Likely that the freshmen think it's the worst, though. Selections are long and difficult, compared to other texts. Most of the selections are leftwing, though the average freshmen won't be able to identify the politics, even where, for instance, someone like Foucault cites Marx.
Dzah
Dec 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It doesn't pander to an audience but rather assumes they already have half a brain when they approach the text, that you're capable of forming your own opinion. Hence, it can then continue to guide through additional readings. Many an interesting discussion has arisen from this book.
michelle nguyen
My college writing 1 class is using this book, and I have to say, the readings provided are quite challenging. These essays are not something you can easily skim over and say, "yay, I'm done." Many of these essays require you to go back and read it again for a second time to better understand the material and to catch what you didn't catch the first time you read it.
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not an easy or enjoyable read, but then that is sort of the point. This text helps you to become a discriminating, active reader and, subsequently, how to apply that skill to your own writing. So, though I hated every second of assigned reading out of this, I appreciate the lessons imparted.
Ron Christiansen
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: composition
A radical approach to teaching composition--at least in contrast to the prevailing views. Sometimes I miss teaching from it even though I understand the problems with the approach. Maybe, at some point, I will go back to it simply for the hell of it.
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I understand why we used this text in my writing class, but the essays we did read from this selection were not very interesting and I found it hard to fully engage with this text.
Some Small Silence
Jul 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The only book that Hopkins and ECC agreed on. This is probably the most interesting collection of essays I've ever seen.
Michael
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Get ready for some deep thinking. These essays are a challenge, but most are worthy of the effort. You will never be without a response or thought of some kind.
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
I thought this would be an interesting book for my beginning writing class, so I used it to supplement the class materials. Quite helpful.
Jessica
I used this to supplement my assigned reading text--to make it more interesting. Nice book, would have been helpful had we moved more quickly through the basics.
Em
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
definitely a college-level collection of texts, but highlights an excellent process used at CUNY for writing practice that grows out of critical reading.
Lene
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2016
Brandie
Nov 17, 2012
Matt Sautman
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite being a reader targeted towards first-year writers, this anthology proves rich for anyone who has scholarly interests and wishes to engage with a variety of theories relating to identity, education, and writing. Most of the entries are fantastic and find their way consistently into a draft of my Master's thesis for Teaching of Writing, and although there are a few that seem out of place, like "Gene Hackers," the anthology is still of a high caliber given its intended purpose.
Karen Lu
  • A Writer Teaches Writing Revised
  • Steps to Writing Well
  • The Company We Keep: An Ethics of Fiction
  • Writing True: The Art and Craft of Creative Nonfiction
  • Technical Editing (5th Edition) (The Allyn & Bacon Seriesin Technical Communication)
  • The Reader, the Text, the Poem: The Transactional Theory of the Literary Work