Start by marking “Shrouded in Silence” as Want to Read:
Shrouded in Silence

Shrouded in Silence

Determined to find an answer, Jack and Michelle Townsend set out on a quest to find the original ending to the Gospel of Mark.

Following ancient clues, they head for Rome, but what starts out as a scholarly search turns violent as two separate groups strive to stop the Townsends, plunging their quiet research into chaos.

After a bomb destroys their office, the Townsends are
Published March 1st 2011 by Abingdon Press (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shrouded in Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrouded in Silence

Judith
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars

This is an excellent book full of mystery and intrigue. I had never thought about the ending of Mark until I read this book. I really loved the interactions between the two main characters. The author does a beautiful job of portraying a healthy Christian marriage.
Robin
Very unrealistic dialogue and characters. In this genre, I'm usually willing to overlook a little bit of that for the sake of a good story but this one was so bad, I could not get into and abandoned it after only 15%.

Thankfully it was a Kindle freebie so I didn't waste any money on it.
Jessica
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry to say that I didn't get past 30 pages of this one. Though the writing felt stilted, the prologue was a little promising, but it went downhill. The entire first chapter should have been omitted, in my opinion. I'd already figured out what I'm guessing should have been a mystery before the end of chapter two. The writing was too formal, and long-winded at times, with too much explanation and description. The dialogue always felt like two people who really didn't like each other, yet the ...more
C.C. Thomas
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Jack Townsend, with his wife Michelle, are on the track of the true ending to the ‘lost Gospel of Mark’. When their research stirs up some anti-American sentiment, they are surprised. When a story of them in the newspaper stirs up threats, they are alarmed. When their office is bombed, they know they’re on the right track!

Normally, this is the kind of book I absolutely love. I adore historical mysteries and anything with a biblical mystery is usually just icing on my book cupcake.

And, I was inte
Mary Chrapliwy
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
Years ago I made one foray into the "Christian Fiction" genre that had a prayer on every other page, completely squashing the plot under religious preaching. That was a couple years ago and I have avoided anything labelled as "Christian Fiction" for that reason. The plot of this book sounded interesting so I took another chance with the genre. Though this book is labelled as "Christian Fiction," it doesn't ram religion down your throat, doesn't preach, and is far more plot driven.

The Townsends a
Annie
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok

Sometimes I want a book that doesn't make you think -- just a good story to get lost in. I thought this had all the trappings that make a good action packed adventure -- Vatican, ancient manuscripts, terrorists -- alas, I was let down on all levels. It was sort of my own fault -- freebie on Kindle and I didn't know it was Christian Fiction.

Jack and Michelle Townsend are biblical scholars searching for the details of the ending of the Gospel of Mark. They are in Rome, working in the Vatican libra
Kate Bowyer
May 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
The story line was the best part of the book. Terrorists, the Vatican, biblical scholars looking for a lost piece of the bible, murder, the CIA and all set in Rome and Germany. But beyond that I was really let down.

Though the story line was the best part, it was very predictable by the end. One of the worst things about the book was the dialog. It was very rough and hard to read. It almost seemed like English was the authors second or maybe third language. If that's the case then they did a fine
Heidi
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Wise has crafted a well written novel involving the scholarship centered on the verification and preservation of biblical manuscripts. Through character dialogue, one learns much about the topics. Reading this novel is a painless way to learn some important aspects of Christian history. Even if one is not interested in the history aspect, this is an exciting novel about contemporary scholarship and the lengths some are willing to go to make a name for themselves in the academic world.

Advanced re
Anne
Jul 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Another disappointing Christian suspense story--often boring, little cloak-and-dagger, meager character development. I had the so-called "suspense"--the one character that you're sure you can trust who turns out to be the dirtiest character--figured out as soon as he was introduced.

Again, writing that is very bland, an overuse of colorful words (how many times do you need to read "draconian" in one story?). And again, the lack of depth of the characters really left me unconcerned over both Jack
Leah
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know this is suppose to be christian fiction, but this guy wrote too much about the written history of Mark. I thought it was going to be about the time the Book of Mark was written, but no. It was about 2008 and historians hunting down the missing piece of Mark. Just not fun for me. Not my type of literature. It is more for someone who likes a bunch of different characters and likes hearing different theories being tested. I just don't care and it wasn't worth my time.
Karen Yaworski
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
The premise of the book was interesting. The search for the lost ending to the Gospel of Mark and the talk about The Prologue of James are fascinating subjects. It got away from that too much though for me with the "suspense" from the Scorpion group and their agenda seemed contrived. The numerous typos and incorrect word usage was distracting. In general, I enjoyed the book though it is written more for maybe a teenage audience.
Abingdon Fiction
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"This is a story of well-hidden biblical secrets that have endured throughout the ages and of a couple's devotion to finding the truth. It's a story fraught with death, danger, and deception--of never knowing who to trust, and with a twist of an ending I didn't see coming. Great read!" --Sharon Sala, author of The Searcher's Trilogy: Blood Stains, Blood Ties, Blood Trails

Sherry Ledet
Nov 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Amazingly poor character building. I'm a little supprised it was ever published, but probably for the same reason I finished this book, the plot was intresting and I wanted to know what happened. However, the characters in this story would never do or say the things that Robert Wise's characters do and say. Sorry, can't recommend this book.
Jennifer Erwin
Mar 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Got this as a freebie download, and the blurb made it sound like the Da Vinci Code. So not the case. Too many different "bad guys" for my taste, and the characters just seemed contrived. I made it to 68% but that was after putting it down several times and reading a different book. I just wasn't able to really get into this book.
Homer16
Jul 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Very unrealistic dialogue and characters. The dialogue was so bad it felt like English isn't Mr. Wise's main language and that really detracted from the potential of this book. The storyline (although very predictable througout) had the potential of being a good book.
Fortunately this was a Nook freebie so I didn't waste any money on it.
Leslie
May 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Very similar to Dan Brown's books, this book was good for being free but was not as well written as it could have been. About a husband and wife looking for missing pieces of the Bible, they run into terrorists and psychos. Good read if you have nothing else to read and you can get it free.
Brittany
Oct 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was an ok read. It was another free kindle book, and as is the norm for those, there were several typos that I noticed which means there were most likely others. The plot was fairly predictable and the characters didn't have a lot of depth.
Veronica Lindsey
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
good who-done-it with religion and religious artifacts thrown in.
Mike Leach
Aug 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
I could not get past page 52 before I stopped reading this book. Not written very well.
Faye
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting story line, but the writing was a bit odd, almost as though the book was written in another language and translated oddly.
Melissa
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Poor proofreading to the point of distraction.
Margaret
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is no Da Vinci Code.... I had to push myself to finish it, employing a little speed reading / skipping sections along the way...
Jordan
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We'll see how this one unfolds... I'm intrigued with it so far. Not the best writing, but I'm enjoying the story.
Danielle
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was good. Sometimes the action dragged. There were loose ends. It was an enjoyable read.
Glen
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story, but as others have mentioned the dialogue was quite awkward and unnatural.
Kim Hill
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
OK book. There are several spelling & grammatical errors which is annoying & makes me think this is a very amateur work. Thanks Carla for lending it to me!
Knitkicky
Jun 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is a slow read so far...I'm about 20% through it. The characterization/dialog is very wooden. Sounds like I should just drop it, huh?
Mary
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book!
E.J.
May 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
1 star! Not because it was christian book, because it was just purely BORING!
Debbie Long
Apr 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I found a numbers of typos and did not connect with any of the characters in this book.

• Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Eye of the God
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • The Heart of Memory
  • Reinventing Leona
  • The Maverick Experiment
  • The Dead Saint
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Delivery
  • Walking on Broken Glass
  • The End is Now
  • It Happens Every Spring
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Delivered with Love
  • Striking Back
  • A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1)
Robert L. Wise, Ph.D. is the author or coauthor of twenty-four books. He is a bishop in the communion of Evangelical Episcopal Churches and has planted churches around the world. Dr. Wise and his wife, Margueritte, live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.