Start by marking “When the Dolls Woke” as Want to Read:
When the Dolls Woke

When the Dolls Woke

(When the Dolls Woke #2)

Long neglected dolls come awake and help their new owner and her elderly aunt find a treasure hidden in their dollhouse years ago.
Published December 4th 1987 by Scholastic Apple (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about When the Dolls Woke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Dolls Woke

Jenna
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Dolls Come To Life plot was a literary...lodestar of my youth. If there was a book in which any humanoid-shaped toys became reanimated, you can bet I fucking read it. And fortunately there were a shit ton of them.
Hilary
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young children who like doll's houses
Following on from Midnight in the dollhouse this story skips forward in time about 100 years to a time when the doll's house is passed on to a descendant of the original owner. A mystery is solved again and treasure is found.

A 3.5 star book, my daughter said that this was an okay book, but I think it would appeal more to younger children, under 8 yrs perhaps. We did find it annoying how many times the author used the term 'vapours', we are not really sure what this means other than feelings ? P
Stephanie A.
Wish fulfillment at its finest for any age: a young girl inherits an antique dollhouse passed down through generations, which just may happen to contain a treasure, and definitely contains a family of dolls who can move about when no one is looking and have long memories of the house's history and all its former owners. Along with the treasure mystery, there are nothing short of exquisite descriptions of the dollhouse's magnificent and intricately detailed furnishings. I haven't read this since ...more
Shelley
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jennie and I got to talking about books we'd loved as kids and we both remembered this one - although all we could recall was a doll family, one of which was from Martinique. A few google searches later and we had the title. A few days later, I had a copy - thanks ILL! I loved this book SO MUCH - and I still do. Come on, Christmas, history, family trees and lore, dolls and adventure. It's still stuff I love. I was so jealous of this dollhouse and Aunt Abby and how they decorated everything. Not ...more
Linda
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
The dollhouse was built in 1890 by Captain Vance for his lame sister. It's current owner, 90 year-old Abby, decides to give it to her namesake, her great great niece Gail (both were named Abigail). The dolls who live in the dollhouse can think and hear. Abby has no money to move to a retirement home. The doll, Sir Gregory, has a vague memory of Captain Vance long ago telling him to keep a secret until a time when his daughter Abby is in trouble. And Gail is certain that there is a fortune hidden ...more
Adriana Bosma
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great and easy to read book!
Marama
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a kid, I found this to be a lovely book to read. Intriguing, and I found each of the doll's characters to be very interesting (particularly Martinique).
A good children's book.
Molly
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, 2015
A young girl receives an antique dollhouse from her great aunt that may hold hidden treasure. The dolls come awake and help her find it.

I remember loving this book as kid and so I decided to reread it. I loved my dollhouse as a child and I remember being enchanted by the idea that the dolls would come awake when people weren't looking. I still find the story charming, but now as an adult I can see that there are things that could be considered problematic. There is a disabled person referred to
JoAryn
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bunny
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-13
This feels extremely familiar, but I can't say 100% I read this as a child. Midnight in the Dollhouse, the other book by Marjorie Filley Stover, sounds extremely familiar. If I recall correctly, the girl had one leg longer than the other because of her accident. There can't be more than one series involving the plot, right?

I do know I read a book about a dollhouse come to life, and it made me want a dollhouse with miniature furniture SO BAD. I've never quite gotten over that.
Ashley
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book, and the prequel, Midnight in the Dollhouse over and over when I was younger. I hadn't thought about them in years, and I found this one on accident in a used book store and was estatic! Now, I just need the other one... But I loved them!

Read more about my thoughts, feelings and memories of this book on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.
Hannah
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am pretty sure that reading this book as a kid started my obsession with miniatures and dollhouses! I loved reading about the dolls' history and Abigail and Gail's family tree. The description of the antique dollhouse and its details is purely magical! This is one of my favorite childhood books.
Micaela
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
The only thing i did not like about this book was the vodoo they tried to incorporate into the book. Otherwise, the plot, characters, settings, and conflict were both interesting and believable (for being about dolls, of course ;) )
Rea K
Aug 27, 2015 added it
I read it, adored it. cannot remember if it's in the boxes yet or not. *wrinkles nose* egads. books. shelve thyselves.
Alicia
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have a nice memory of reading this out loud to my Mom on a really long car trip. Very sweet story, and motivated me to get a dollhouse (although I never did much with it)!
Dina
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
I love this book and this author!! Very creative story and a fulfilling quick read! I love the hidden treasure aspect of this story! I'm interested in finding more books by this author.
Beka
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was a kid and really enjoyed it. I only remember a little: the dolls in the dollhouse move and there's a mystery involving some lovely rubies.
Natalie
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was cute too. I didn't remember it but enjoyed it. I'm saving it for the summer for Sam but I'm sure she'll enjoy it too :-)
Amanda Coppedge
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg
A favorite from childhood.
Renee' Viness
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently re-read this story. I enjoyed how the dolls lived and changed as the children and grownups played with them. It was a nice story that kept my attention.
Erin Caldwell
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a gift when I was little and recently re-read it. A great story with a unique premise, although not as well written as other books from this era of my life.
Christine Hart
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A childhood favourite that I was delighted to track down through Abebooks. So glad that site exists! I highly recommend this story for any kidlit fans who also love dolls.
Catherine
This is a cute story for girls about eight or nine years old. I will have to save this for my grand daughters.

It has themes of friendship, kindness, honor, and helping others.
amy
Sep 18, 2011 marked it as to-read
Just spent half an hour googling random disjointed search strings to find this book after thinking about it upon rereading Dollhouse Murders.
Can't wait to revisit this one!
Kirsten
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Would the dolls tell Gail their secret?
Anastasia
Katie Hinton
Dec 28, 2015
Leslie
Sep 08, 2012
  • The Ghost in the Big Brass Bed (Nina Tanleven, #3)
  • Good-Bye Pink Pig
  • How I Broke Up With Ernie
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • The Littles Have a Wedding
  • Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman
  • Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • The Little Gymnast
  • Witch's Sister (Witch Saga, #1)
  • Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Trapped in Death Cave
  • The Against Taffy Sinclair Club (Taffy Sinclair, #1)
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • Roommates (The Girls of Canby Hall, #1)
  • The Vanishing Footprints (Adventures of the Northwoods, #4)
  • Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!
  • Long Live the Queen (The President's Daughter, #3)

When the Dolls Woke (2 books)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse