Start by marking “The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel” as Want to Read:
The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel

The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel

There is no question that we live in an age of weak theology and casual Christianity. We have substituted intuition for truth, feeling for belief and immediate gratification for enduring hope. Evangelicalism desperately needs to return to the doctrines that once before reformed the world: radical depravity, unconditional election, particular redemption, efficacious grace a ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Doctrines of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctrines of Grace

Start your review of The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
Ezra
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
Mmm... strong and succinct like a nice double latte.
The writers explain and put forth a solid argument for the five main points of reformed doctrine and in my opinion they succeed nicely. For each point, they give a terrific, biblical defence and exploration, also explaining how it fits with verses that can sometimes seem to contradict.
At only 200ish pages its really fantastic how much rich yet readable theology is fitted in. Reading this book feels like a nice morsel of the 'solid food' mention
Mark
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is very useful for not only firming-up the biblical evidence behind the doctrines of grace (i.e. Calvinism), but also for showing the practical benefits that these doctrines have on a community of believers when they are truly taken to heart. It is challenging, inspiring and thorough in its arguments. I see this book as an essential catalyst for the growth and maturity of any Christian community.
Ryan
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Really, the best theological book I've ever read. It really gave me a much fuller understanding of the love and grace of God. My salvation seemed much more important to me than it had before, and because of its strong emphasis on grace, I had no room to boast, but just to be thankful for the Lord's mercy. I would only recommend to those firmly rooted in their own beliefs about salvation and God's sovereignty. I don't want anyone being convinced by a work of man, but by the truths of the word of ...more
Chuck
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Curious about some meaty subjects related to how we are saved? This is a solid, accessible introduction to the Doctrines of Grace / Reformed Theology. The issue of importance isn't whether or not someone is calvinistic...labels help to understand things but we follow Jesus, right?! The issue, rather, is what the Bible says about the gospel. While I don't interpret every Scripture passage referenced in this book in the same way as the authors, overall it is very helpful work, particularly for tho ...more
Cyndia
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book that I have read about salvation. The doctrines of grace are explained clearly and supported with Scripture. Even if you are not a Calvinist, it is a good read to gain an understanding of what those who believe in the doctrines of grace truly believe. For me, a Calvinist, it helped me better understand how to explain the doctrines, but it also reminded me of the humility that needs to come with the doctrines. Outstanding book!
Lindsey
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this is a highly readable discussion of the Five Points of Calvinism, but the best discussion is at the beginning (Why Evangelicalism Needs Calvinism) and the end (how Calvinism should "play out"). Unexpected and thought-provoking is the final chapter where they make application to Evangelism/Church, Politics, Science, Arts. His discussion helps address some of the caricature and abuses of Calvinism alike.
Don Robins
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Worthwhile Read

Understanding the "Doctrines of Grace" has become quite clouded in recent years because of a re-emergence of Arminian theology. This book fills a needed vacuum in the field of Calvinistic thought that is necessary and encouraging. Once read and understood, the book will answer so many questions in a practical way.
Lisa
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was surprisingly wonderful in that it explained comprehensively Reformed Theology (caps?) by using Scripture and practical implications in everyday language. I think this may be a book a ready every year so that I can be conversant in defending and explaining Biblical Christianity. I still haven't had that "A-ha moment" regarding Limited Atonement though.........
Jesse
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great entry-level explanation of the doctrines of grace. It includes some basic history and reasoning in regard the the doctrines. I would recommend this for anyone who wants to understand their Bible better or get the Reformed view of salvation. It is written in a clear format that a high school student could understand, but an adult won't find too elementary or condescending.
Ryan
This is one of my favorites. The authors do a wonderful job explaining the five points, plus the two introductory chapters are worth the price of the book. Contains a lot of great quotes and in-depth teaching about Calvinism's teachings, history, and effects on our lives.
Rob Block
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book as of this moment. It was originally given to me by a person who helped me in my walk in the reformed faith and it is a must read. James Boice and Philip Ryken really break it down very simply and use wonderful verses to show their point. This book is such a blessing.
Matt Mason
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great book. I love the intro chapter on Calvin and the effects of Calvinism. Some things there that might help disabuse readers of caricatures before pursuing the relevant biblical and theological issues.
Todd Bryant
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it

A very fresh approach to the doctrines of grace. This book is written from a very evangelical perspective as well. This is an added plus as so many books on the doctrines of grace at least appear to lean hardshell. A good book for somebody new to the doctrines of grace to read.
Marcos Moura
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Um livro que traz os 5 pontos do calvinismo de forma clara e sucinta.
Rod Innis
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very clear description of the somewhat controversial
doctrine of election
Kiley Bronke
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful, succinct, and enlightening. I have a firmer grasp of and feel better prepared to communicate the doctrines of grace.
Chris Fowler
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An excellent study of the doctrine of grace, i.e, the five points of Calvinism, for any serious student of the Word.
Jacob Aitken
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pastoral presentation of calvinism.
Selah Shine
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for all evangelical Christians. The book carefully and systematically explains the need for sovereign grace, the crux of Christianity.
Ebiecollection
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Give more understanding about the meaning of love in the God perspective. Nice to read!
Matt Crawford
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Doctrines of Grace are often reduced to TULIP. This work begun by Boice and finished by Ryken. Boice provides the historical context and gives a proper biblical theology. There are pretty of references to well known names like CS Lewis, Augustine, and Calvin. I just wis that there was a little more of the Old Testament in his discourse. Like many well known Reformed authors, Paul's epistles and the Gospel of John are his home. It is a great reminder of what God has done for us, and how much ...more
Steve Herreid
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Competent, readable discussion of the doctrines of grace. I liked this book.
Braden
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The meat of the book on the points of Calvinism are great, the intro and concluding chapters are decent but not up to the same standard. It’s a very solid book overall.
Grayson Gilbert
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written book
Sonny
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: doctrine
“The Doctrines of Grace” by James Montgomery Boice, and Philip Graham Ryken is both an explanation and defense of Calvinism (or Reformed theology). The book has a number of strengths. It is well written, providing a clear and accurate explanation of the five points of Calvinism. The authors even devote a section dealing with the tough biblical texts that seem to contradict Calvinism. The first chapters also identify some of the negative trends that characterize evangelicalism today. Unfortunatel ...more
David
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, reformed
One of the best treatments of Calvinism that I have ever read. The authors do a great job at showing the biblical basis for the doctrines of grace, as well as fairly handling the difficult verses that seem to build a case for the other side. They also give a great history lesson about how Calvinism has lead to much flourishing and how Arminianism typically leads to pietism which leads to liberalism which ultimately leads to atheism. Strong words, but they give some great evidence that is hard to ...more
Willy Robert
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livro essencial para aqueles que desejam conhecer as doutrinas da graça, e conhecer o Calvinismo. Os autores usam uma linguagem bem clara, bem direta. Analisam o calvinismo como doutrina histórica e analisam diversos textos bíblicos, tanto os pró, quanto os contra o Calvinismo. Recomendo. Quer entender Calvinismo? Quer tirar as dúvidas mais comuns quanto esse segmento doutrinário? Esse é o livro que vc precisa ler.
Harlindo de Souza
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ótima introdução aos cinco pontos do calvinismo. O livro já empolga de início quando você descobre que James Boice começou a escrevê-lo quando soube que estava morrendo de cançer. É um livro que inicia e finaliza muito bem falando a princípio sobre o impacto teológico e prático do calvinismo na história e no fim mostrando uma breve aplicação do calvinismo na vida cristã e na nossa forma de ver o mundo. Recomendadíssimo!
Jeff Haynes
Apr 14, 2015
Teresa
Jun 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Knowing God
  • Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word Today
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Memoirs of John Newton
  • Today's Evangelism , Its Message and Methods
  • The Atonement
  • Christian Reconstruction: R. J. Rushdoony and American Religious Conservatism
  • Biblical Manhood: Masculinity, Leadership and Decision Making
Boice received a diploma from The Stony Brook School (1956), an A.B. from Harvard University (1960), a B.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary (1963), a Th.D from the University of Basel in Switzerland (1966), and a D.D., (honorary) from the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Episcopal Church (1982).

News & Interviews