Start by marking “A Separate Peace” as Want to Read:
A Separate Peace

A Separate Peace

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  166,218 Ratings  ·  5,766 Reviews
Devon School, an exclusive prep school for boys in New Hampshire, is a world unto itself. But it's the summer of 1942 and the massive thundercloud of World War II threatens the school's peaceful environment. Paralleling the war, where enemies real and imagined are sometimes collaborated with and sometimes destroyed, is the friendship between Gene and Phineas, two students ...more
Audio CD
Published April 30th 2010 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about A Separate Peace, please sign up.

Hunter Houle trust me, i go to an all boys boarding school....no sex lol you would be killed/executed for that behavior...especially at a catholic school. Just…moretrust me, i go to an all boys boarding school....no sex lol you would be killed/executed for that behavior...especially at a catholic school. Just joking...you will not find it though. (less)
Kylie George Rating wise, it is okay for a 13 year old. Unless you are very interested in this book I would wait a little bit. I am 16 now and am reading it for…moreRating wise, it is okay for a 13 year old. Unless you are very interested in this book I would wait a little bit. I am 16 now and am reading it for school and there are a few things and overall themes that are a little harder to understand and get a good idea of. I cant wait for my discussion when school starts. I'm sued I've missed all sorts of important things. Maybe after you read it, discuss it with someone or look up a book talk, just to make sure you understand everything. Enjoy!(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"And the rays of the sun were shooting past them, millions of rays shooting past them like--like golden machine-gun fire."

Gene is a boy from the South attending an exclusive New Hampshire prep school. He becomes best friends with a New Englander from Boston named Phineas. Let me amend that, Phineas chooses Gene as his friend and any thoughts that Gene has of being friends with anyone else are quickly dispersed as he is pulled into the shimmering chimeric world creating and constantly maintained
The Library Lady
Sep 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overrated-crap
I remember this book distinctly because seldom have I hated a book more.
In addition to being a depressing piece of work, it is about as relevant to kids today as a 45RPM single (that's something we had before CDs, boys and girls). Why are they still putting it on reading lists? What fan of John Knowles has been paying teachers to force this on the kids?
Amanda
Jun 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Matthew Klobucher
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a profound and lasting impact of me. It is a short, exquisitely crafted story narrated by a talented but unconspicuous boy who is jealous of his best friend, Phineas--who is athletic, beautiful, and kind. Phineas stands tall as the prodigy of American prep adolescence. He is simple; he is likeable; he has panache; and he is virtuous. His greatest crime to the narrator, though, is his love. For though the narrator is jealous and resentful that of his authentic golden-boy friend, he ...more
SR
I remember viscerally hating this - I found it incredibly boring and I don't think anything really happened except a whole bunch of wank about being a moron and running and a paragraph lovingly describing a side character's butt. I don't even know.

Furthermore, it was for eighth-grade English. My teacher gave us a quiz on some random detail-bits, and I remembered little things like how many years had passed between Point A and Point Boring, and that somehow meant that I wasn't actually UNDERSTAND
Zoeytron
Competitors and rivals. Best friends. There is always one who is more outgoing, more apt to take risks. Here we have one who is more comfortable abiding by the rules, the other flagrantly flaunting them. What about the one who is pulled along for the ride? Is he an unwilling participant or simply someone who needs a push? Suspicion and resentment, loyalty and betrayal.
Brian Yahn
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm bias, but a little bit of bromance could've gone a long way here. A Separate Peace is essentially a story of the relationship between two boys, and if it went a little farther, I think the points it made would've driven much deeper.

The plot mostly revolves around a single character, Finny, and although he's lively and exciting, this story is far from. And as such, I can't imagine it being too enjoyable to the middle schoolers and freshmen it is regularly assigned to. But for older more
James
Book Review
3 of 5 stars to A Separate Peace, a novel written in 1959 by John Knowles. I suspect if I were to re-read this "classic" again now, it has a chance of getting a higher rating; however, I'm not in a rush to prove the theory. I have a few good memories of the story, some a bit "blah," but overall... it was a decent book. When I read The Secret History last year, I had vague recollections of this being somewhat similar, though the topics are quite different.

At the core, this is a com
Jim Fonseca
A Separate Peace by John Knowles

A short review because I can’t add much to the thousands of reviews that are out there.

The story takes place at an elite all-boy New England prep school. The two main characters are opposites in many ways: an introverted, intellectual Southern boy and a Northerner who is outgoing, athletic, a risk-taker. He’s a natural leader among the boys but he struggles with his studies. They become fast friends but impulsive horse-play leads to the death of one of the boys.
Ed
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first novel.

Tiring of typical grade school fare I surreptitiously ordered A Separate Peace from the "other side" of the monthly Bantam book order form - unbeknownst to my Mother and my teacher. As grade school and high school books were shipped intermingled I plucked my order from the school shipment the moment the boxes were opened. Before I even opened the book I sensed that if I wanted to finish it, I better do so secretly.

I had no trouble reading the piece from a vocabulary standpoint b
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review:A Separate Peace 1 2 Aug 21, 2017 10:55AM
Around the Year i...: A Separate Peace, by John Knowles 2 42 Jan 01, 2017 10:49AM
Tone and Character Review 1 14 Jun 10, 2016 06:08PM
  • L'Étranger / La Peste
  • A River Runs Through It
  • A Day No Pigs Would Die
  • Quattrocento
John Knowles (September 16, 1926 - November 29, 2001), b. Fairmont, West Virginia, was an American novelist, best known for his novel A Separate Peace.

A 1945 graduate of the Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, New Hampshire, Knowles graduated from Yale University as a member of the class of 1949W. A Separate Peace is based upon Knowles' experiences at Exeter during the summer of 1943. The setting f
More about John Knowles...
“There was no harm in taking aim, even if the target was a dream.” 2082 likes
“I felt that I was not, never had been and never would be a living part of this overpoweringly solid and deeply meaningful world around me.” 216 likes