Start by marking “MR Gum and the Cherry Tree. by Andy Stanton” as Want to Read:
MR Gum and the Cherry Tree. by Andy Stanton

MR Gum and the Cherry Tree. by Andy Stanton

(Mr. Gum #7)

The seventh installment may just feature a cherry tree, 300 caterpillars, one rotten horse, a magical archway, the Spirit of the Forest, and Crazy Barry Fungus

Good evening and welcome to a tale of forests, legendary beasts, dreadful villains, caterpillars named Graham, and a great big beefer of a cherry tree. But what dark secrets are hidden in that tree, where the leaves
Paperback
Published by Egmont Books (UK) (first published May 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about MR Gum and the Cherry Tree. by Andy Stanton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MR Gum and the Cherry Tree. by Andy Stanton

Start your review of MR Gum and the Cherry Tree. by Andy Stanton
Leanne Allan
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man was this a trip down memory lane. These were the first books I read on my own when I was about 7. To this day I still love them!!
Escher
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-me, g2
Dandelions chasing dandezebras.
Woodpecker pecking and Wouldn'tPeckers not.
Emily
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny, and easy to read books for children, and adults alike. Would definitely recommend.
Heidi
John Naylor
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that is hard to review without using other authors for comparison. It has the wit of Terry Pratchett, the absurdity of Spike Milligan and the language of Shakespeare (probably).

It is a fun read with a great sense of humour. Even for someone new to the series it was accessible and easy to pick up. It uses many styles and flows like a good simile.

I recommend it to the parents of 8-11 year olds or to be read to younger children.
Ailbhe Darcy
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mr. Gum books are brilliant - perfect for reading aloud to crazy 6-year-olds. Every sentence is funny and gorgeously written, in equal measure. This particular Mr. Gum book might be my favourite. Runtus! Runtus! Runtus!
Grace Sargeant
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book.
Séan Brazier
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it (again) to my son. It contained a section that made us laugh so hard we thought we'd broken ourselves.
Kelly Morrow
Mar 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst the story line was intriguing at times, I struggled to enjoy this book because of the poor grammar.
Jenn
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to stop reading out loud periodically because I was laughing so hard I cried.
Angela
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I snickered all the way through this. I can't get enough.
Ngọc
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cuốn này dễ chịu hơn và đã có chỗ hơi buồn cươi.
Hannah
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was recommended this book as I enjoy comic childrens fiction. This story is one from the series of Mr Glum, which uses similar themes and repeated characters. Wherever there is mischief Mr Glum is involved. In this case the whole village is convinced into giving their most precious belongings to a past spirit, who has come back. Although they are warned against it by, they are as always, nearly tricked by Mr Glum. I was disappointed by this book, as I felt it was trying far too hard to be ...more
Lavinia
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great, fantastic and most marvellous. But what is going on in the nice and shiny but squeaky and creepy town of Lamonic Bibber?

I can tell you that the villagers (apart from Polly, Friday O'Leary and the gingerbread man Alan Taylor) have gone mad about a stupid old cherry tree. But, uh, uh, uh - that isn't just any old cherry tree. Well, I suppose it is, but do you think something (/, of course, someone) is lurking around somewhere near that particular little tree?

Hmm... Well,
I didn't like this Mr Gum (or as he is called in Swedish, herr Grums) book as much as the first one. There are some really funny lines, though. Like the one about how there were never unicorns, some horse just accidentally got an ice cream cone on its head (ok, I'm not really delivering it right). A part of the problem was I wasn't in the right mood for all the silliness. Sometimes you want a proper story with proper words, but if you're in more of a wackadoo mood then this series will satisfy.
Federicogerig
Wilde Sky
A villain tries to con some people out of their most cherished possessions.

Obviously Im not the target audience for this book as I found it a bit disappointing there are some good plot points, but I felt Id read everything before. The drawing on the cover was much better than any inside the book (at least in the version I read).
Greta
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junior-fiction
The latest in the series is as good as all the rest. I don't know what it is about the bizarre sense of humour Andy Stanton has, but I enjoy it as much as the kids do. He has an incredible imagination and just enough irreverance and intellectual finger-jabbing to keep me waiting for the next installment.
Marnie
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious

It's amazingly HILARIOUS. Like when the Little Girl called Peter reads her favorite book Biffy The Worn Gets Arrested For Accidentally Murdering Everyone In Canada. Or when a gingerbread headmaster says a sentence with a spelling mistake. He even tells everyone he's ruined with that proof. This book is recommended to anyone who loves a laugh out loud book
★ Jess
Another cute and funny story about Mr. Gum and the wacky town folk of Lamonic Biber :)
Sebastian Asfaw
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Really really centourly funny
Courtney
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really good plz reply thank you
Lucy
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious laugh out loud humour as good as a bag of sticks,
Shabnam
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this one wasn't as funny as the other books in the series but the story was better!I liked the last chapter where all the magical creatures came back!
Nipper
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i don't know how to describe it so i'll use a made up word, rantigulousinatenate
Holly Rosette
Nov 13, 2015
Amanda Mcdonnell
Oct 16, 2017
Gene Martin
Aug 29, 2014
Honour
Jul 22, 2016

• The Enchanted Wood (The Faraway Tree, #1)
  • The Boy Who Could Do What He Liked
  • Gangsta Granny
  • The World’s Worst Children
  • American Monsters (Demon Road, #3)
  • The Magic Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #2)
  • Awful Auntie
  • Summer of Spies (Belle Bright, #1)
  • The Boy Who Grew Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #1)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • The Photo Ark: One Man's Quest to Document the World's Animals
  • Snow White and the Seven Aliens
  • Ivy and Bean
  • Vicky Angel
  • My Dad is a Loser
  • Demon Dentist
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Meet Maddi - Ooops! (Diary of an Almost Cool Girl #1)
Andy Stanton lives in North London. He studied English at Oxford but they kicked him out. He has been a film script reader, a cartoonist, an NHS lackey and lots of other things. He has many interests, but best of all he likes cartoons, books and music (even jazz).

One day hed like to live in New York or Berlin or one of those places because hes got fantasies of bohemia. His favourite expression is

Mr. Gum (8 books)
  • You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
  • Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire
  • Mr Gum and the Goblins
  • Mr Gum and the Power Crystals
  • Mr Gum and the Dancing Bear
  • What's for Dinner, Mr Gum?
  • Mr Gum and the Secret Hideout