Start by marking “First Big Book of Why (National Geographic Little Kids)” as Want to Read:
First Big Book of Why (National Geographic Little Kids)

First Big Book of Why

(National Geographic Little Kids First Big Books)

Linking to a popular feature in the super successful National Geographic Little Kids magazine, this book brings the browsable fun of the bestselling National Geographic Kids Almanac, to a new audience: preschoolers! Using an interactive question-and-answer format and content grounded in a child's immediate world, the Big Book of Why delivers lively information, hands-on ga ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about First Big Book of Why, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Big Book of Why

Clare Cannon
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book that will captivate inquisitive kids (and adults) for days! It's packed with information about everything from why we need to eat certain foods, to why doughnuts have holes, why plants grow upwards, why there are rainbows, why some people have curly and others straight hair, why planes fly, why boats float, and loads more. With straightforward text and clear pictures even young children can follow the explanations, and yet the content is rich and varied enough to extend older ...more
Sue
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
It was going so great until . . . page 40: when a diagram of a house (explaining gravity) had the toilet sewage going down to a woman with a garden hose, and she is spraying the plants with poopy water. They even included a diagram which described poop-eating bacteria. Ugh. Bad editing, poor picture.

Page 73: "If they [the iceworms] get too warm, they melt."

Iceworms don't melt.
دعاء الدريس
جميع كتب ناشينال جيوغرافيك ممتازة، ابحث عن المواضيع التي تهم طفلك
Pamela Kinslow
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kids-books
it was awesome I loved it
FullyBooked
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Omg. Childhood! I can’t emphasize this any more. I LOVE THIS BOOK.
Megan
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
a favorite of my 6 year old
Sherry
Shields, Amy. (2011). First big book of why. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic.

Citation created by: Sherry Bouldin
Call Number: 031.02
Description: Similar to the format of National Geographic Little Kids magazine, the very youngest will be thrilled with the answers to all of their “why” questions. Beautiful photography and simple text are paired to answer all types of questions that young students may have.
Content/scope: Accurate yet age-appropriate answers are provided for pre-school aged ch
Alissa Trammel
Apr 24, 2016 added it
Shelves: lme-508

Citation: Alissa Trammel
Type of Reference: Almanac
Call Number: Ref 031

Content/Scope: This almanac, which is targeted toward pre-school students to answer some of the very simple questions that children have. It gives answers to questions, recipes, games, crafts, and more. Each page has colorful illustrations and pictures that aid in the explanations and answers.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: National Geographic is a lea
Doren Damico
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although it is part of the Nat Geo Little Kids collection, preschoolers to primary schoolers will find this wonderful book interesting, informative and accessible for early readers. It is organized into four categories: Amazing Me, How Things Work, Animals All Around, and Wonders of the World. Questions like “Why does my skin wrinkle in the tub?” are answered with kid friendly language and science specific vocabulary. Small text boxes highlight facts. Open-ended questions stimulate thoughtful ob ...more
Heather
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my three-year-old daughter's favorite books (as I think it would be for any toddler whose favorite word is "why"). It's informative in an engaging way for young children, with lots of bright pictures and interesting subjects (e.g., why do donuts have holes in them, why do some people have curly hair, why do soap and water make bubbles, etc.). It also has some simple experiments (like the milk magic experiment, where children shake cream to make butter), and some fun "what's wrong with thi ...more
Libby
The content of Little Kids First Big Book of Why strengthens a 4-5 year old child’s vocabulary skills by introducing them to new words and concepts. As the child practices reading this book, speech and language development continues to grow, and comprehension of text and meaning also deepen. In addition to strengthening comprehension, the child’s motivation for print is increased when they realize that books contain facts and information to help them understand the world around them.
Linna
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old daughter is loving this book, and so are her parents! It is full of questions that children tend to ask and parents are often stumped by (such as why is the sky blue, why does grandma have wrinkles, etc...). The answers are clear and simply described-just enough information. Perfect for kids ages 5-8... and maybe a bit older or younger depending on the child.
Portable
This is a fantastic information book, packed full of colourful, exciting pictures and thought-provoking questions to satisfy children's curiosity. It's great for modelling how to ask questions as well as how to answer them, and great to dip in and out of. Highly recommended!
Brionna Barcolleh
This book allows students to explore their imagination. It helps cure curious minds, and it allows students to formulate questions. It is nonfiction, and it's a good way to captivate young inquisitive minds.
Cassandra
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Quite possibly my daughter's favorite book of all time.
Danae
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5*
Julia Rojas
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think this book is ok. It has cute pictures and ok writing.
Lauri Meyers
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoy blowing my kids minds with this. We enjoy the experiments too! What a great way to take advantage of young open minds.
Corianna
'The BIG Book of Why'...So many questions; so much to explore...like all the wonders of our world; from the water to the sky...and the miracle of life; from our very first breath to our minds eye.
James Harken
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My four year old daughter really enjoyed this book, it makes a good nighttime story if you divide it up a bit.
Cynthia
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The kids absolutely love this book. It has led to some lively conversation and requests for more information.
H
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4-year-old boy loves it, I like it/am embarrassed how much I, as a grown adult with a science degree, have learned from it
Colleen Joseph
Katie
Oct 31, 2017
norma
Oct 17, 2014
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Animals (National Geographic Kids)
  • Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)
  • A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns
  • Weird!
  • Get Organized Without Losing It
  • How to Do Homework Without Throwing Up
  • Machines at Work
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Ounce Dice Trice
  • Dick and Jane and Vampires
  • Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies
  • This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Caterpillar to Butterfly
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat
With more than 600 titles—including the popular Weird But True franchise and the New York Times Best Selling National Geographic Kids Almanac—National Geographic Kids Books is the recognized leader in nonfiction for kids. Published in 28 languages, NGK Books reaches approximately 85 million kids every year.

Offering K-12 educators resources that align to and support the Common Core State Standards,

National Geographic Little Kids First Big Books (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Space (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Animals (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of the Ocean (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of the World (National Geographic Readers)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Bugs (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Who (National Geographic Kids)
  • Little Kids First Big Book of Birds (National Geographic Kids)
  • National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book Collector's Set
  • Little Kids First Big Book of How (National Geographic Kids)