Start by marking “Make: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery” as Want to Read:
Make: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery

Make: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  869 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
"This is teaching at its best!" --Hans Camenzind, inventor of the 555 timer (the world's most successful integrated circuit), and author of "Much Ado About Almost Nothing: Man's Encounter with the Electron" (Booklocker.com)

"A fabulous book: well written, well paced, fun, and informative. I also love the sense of humor. It's very good at disarming the fear. And it's "gorgeo
Published November 23rd 2009 by Maker Media, Inc (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Make, please sign up.

Scuppers
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the best intro to building with electronics that I can imagine.

My only frustration has been adapting one of the circuits to a breadboard version (i.e. the LED blinking circuit - "A Pulsing Glow"); it's more a function of my limitations though than the limitations of the book.

The fact that it's so much better than other electronics books out there, (possibly combined), merits its 5-star rating.
Felipe
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years trying to get into electronics but the tutorials online or other books just didnt do it for me.

THis book explains very well some concepts that other wise you would not understand.

The funny thing here is that i got this book for free on www.archive.org as pdf. when i was reading it i could not believe i got it for free.

Thaths
I studied Electronics throughout Highschool and University. However, my textbooks and teachers did not make all the concepts clear to me. This book filled some of the gaps in my knowledge ("Why was a transistor invented? I know what a 555 timer does. but why does it exist? Who invented it and why?", etc.)
Alex Jahnke
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: make, diy
Even (or especially) if you don't know a thing about electronics, this book is for you. No boring theory, but simple experiments guide you through the fascinating world of electronics.
Tom
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
I like the idea, but about half way through I realised I was just plugging parts together in a How-To fashion, and that the book didn't introduce relevant concepts (e.g. KVL, KCL, circuit analysis) to understand why the circuits behaved the way they did.

"Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits" actually teaches these.
Nando
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All explanations are very clear. Author has a good narrative style. Pictures are excellent. More web resources would have make it even better, as such as a few parts with deeper explanations (for example, why I shouldn't do experiments with rechargeable batteries).
Syed
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect and must have book for practical electronics geeks.
Joseph II
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronics
The cover says it right: "Burn things out, mess things up - that's how you learn." This is what electronics is about. Charles Platt has given the electric shock to the Maker movement by writing an essential tome for novices and advanced experimenters alike. I love the O'Reilly standard fare inside the book (clear imagery, text boxes, photos, precise and concise explanations).

As for the imagery, there are schematic diagrams, bread-boarding layouts, hand drawings and color photographs - everythin
Warren Gossett
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a relaxed view of doing electronics without tearing your hair out. Of course you may have to switch components or discover that the little device or part you bought does not work exactly the way you read that it was supposed to. Of course it takes a bit more time to build and to test. Charles Platt's examples show that you can cope. Just be prepared and give your self time to ask questions and test the answers. Which may not be permanent answers. That is really good training for ...more
Vladimir Prus
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very nicely illustrated and detailed introduction book about electronics. So, if you have no background, it's very recommended.

If you do have background, I am not sure. It might be too basic, and it also focus on building from discrete components. If you want to know how to hook things to your Arduino, it might not be very useful.
I have read through the entire book (and am going through again for projects that i think are helpful to what I am working on versus a rather broad base of topics) and i think what is really strong is how Platt really seems to want things to be accessible for his reader (versus some books which seem to want to obfuscate why things work); therefore no review
Adrian McCarthy
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best educational books I've ever read. Very clear, very well organized, a logical progression of ideas. The "Learning by Discovery" approach has to be the best way to really learn this stuff. I'm so happy I've read this, and I'll keep it handy to return to in the future as well.
JJ Lehmann
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judging the writing isn't really appropriate, but I did learn a lot and he explains the concepts and experiments clearly and concisely. Definitely recommend to those who wish to learn about electronics.
Milan Lazić
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whether you have some electronics theory knowledge or not, if you have no practical experience, and you want it, get this book. An exellent beginers book, the only problem is that it makes you wanna work more and more electronics :)
Rachel Palmer
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've ever read.
Jahn Juarez
Alex Boekelheide
Makes me want to solder fun things
Suresh Madhavan
i want to read this book
Al Gunn
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. I've wanted to tinker around with electronics for years and this book was a fun and simple introduction.
Josh
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent low level introduction to electronics theory and components in plain english - can't wait to read the second volume!
Jen
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Explained what I need to learn in an easy, quick manner.
Axl Mattheus
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun with my son.
Michael
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book for beginners in electronics, which I am. Light on theory, heavy on hands on learning. Be prepared to break a few things. :)
Be Rajez
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must book for novice hobbyists in electronics
Vincent Fumo
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good intro from start to finish. It's hands on and very clear. If you want to learn electronics, get this book!
Inga
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Labākā gramata lai iemācītos elektroniku.
Sergey
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Увлекательная книжка. Для общего развития подойдет, но ничего серьезного.
Daniel Schulte
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to electronics. the book doesn't deal with any math or theory, which I think might weaken it a bit, but it definitely makes electronics approachable, and I appreciate that.
  • Getting Started with Arduino
  • All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide
  • Practical Electronics for Inventors
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • How to Avoid Being Killed in a War Zone: The Essential Survival Guide for Dangerous Places
  • Programming Interactivity: A Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and Openframeworks
  • Hacking Electronics: An Illustrated DIY Guide for Makers and Hobbyists: An Illustrated DIY Guide for Makers and Hobbyists
  • Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking [With CD]
  • Getting Started in Electronics
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • Operation Fortitude
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
From wikipedia:

Charles Platt (born in London, England, 1945) is the author of 41 fiction and nonfiction books, including science-fiction novels such as The Silicon Man and Protektor (published in paperback by Avon Books). He has also written non-fiction, particularly on the subjects of computer technology and cryonics, as well as teaching and working in these fields. Platt relocated from England t
More about Charles Platt...