Start by marking “The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon, #1-4 & side novella)” as Want to Read:
The Eternal Dungeon (Eternal Dungeon, #1-4 & side novella)

The Eternal Dungeon

(Eternal Dungeon #1-4 & side novella)

In the Queendom of Yclau lies an underground royal prison that embraces the worst of the past and the best of the future. The Eternal Dungeon is old-fashioned in its equipment and ahead of its time in its treatment of prisoners, seeking to put their best welfare above all else. Torture is part of the process of assisting the prisoners.

The High Seeker, Layle Smith, embodies
Published October 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Eternal Dungeon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eternal Dungeon

Emma Sea

This comprises the four original novels and a side story. The writing improves noticeably throughout the series. The first book annoyed me a great deal with its insistence on explaining what was happening, through an intrusive narrative structure.**

Although the writing improves throughout the series, I think the premise becomes weaker. The beginning explores Elsdon's and Layle's relationship and the nature of power and pleasure. The middle books waffle and are less thematically interest
Ayanna
Mar 08, 2013 marked it as to-read-pruned
Shelves: to-read-maybe
Argh, I WOULD read this, but it looks so complicated to navigate... =_=
Lady*M
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
Rebirth - 4.25 stars

Intriguing description of alternative birth of psychology - in a dungeon. Layle is an incredible character, complex and unsettling. And, yet, he was perfect to ease Elsdon's scars left by his father. The men are instruments of each others self-examination and growth. Their mutual trust never wavers.

I wish there was more world-building of outside world in the story, but I didn't mind too much since the strength of the story lies on the characters.

Transformation - 3.75 stars

As
Elisa Rolle
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2011 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Danielle Tremblay

Set in the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries, these novels take place in an alternative version of America that was settled by inhabitants of the Old World in ancient times. As a result, the New World retains certain classical and medieval customs. This is a tale of friendship, romance, and suspense in The Eternal Dungeon, an award-winning alternate history series set in a nineteenth-century prison where the psychologists wield whips.

It's also the meeting between Layle Smit
Danielle Tremblay

It's also the meeting between Layle Smit
Danny Tyran
I hesitated between 4 and 5 stars because there were a few parts that I found a little boring. But I found the rest good enough to want more of it. Lets just say that I love moral dilemmas if they are lived by strong characters and if the author is not too preachy.

I don't know for this author's other books. Are they as good as this series ? Maybe I'll try one of them soon.

Laylah Hunter
Oct 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-slash-m
I think the highest compliment I can pay this collection is that it was compelling -- even when parts of it were really frustrating for me, I wanted to keep reading and find out how the problems resolved.

The structure Peterson goes for here is ambitious, with fragments of this imaginary world's history texts framing the main body of the story, which fleshes out the spare accounts that made it into history. The historical touches, and the concept of centering the story around torturers who are me
Sévérin Grimm
Brenda Cothern
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, series
I grabbed this book as a 'free read' from Smashwords since my past experiences with pick the price have resulted in paying for books that were poorly written with no editing, weak (or worse, no) plots, and characters who were two dimensional if I was lucky!
Boy, was I surprised! Reading The Eternal Dungeon was like taking a walk back into an alternative history that could have actually happened. I can not imagine the amount of research that has gone into this novel but it is clear that Peterson
Bethany
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely captivating. The first book I read in one sitting and that is unusual for me. I'm way to ADD to keep focused very long, but this book had me so anxious to hit the next page button. Superbly written. Flow and pacing were spot on. Not once did I feel I had to flip pages to get to the point. Looking forward to reading what else is in this series.

I'm not sure if this book/series is a M/M genre, but I love that there was a hint of it in Eternal Dungeon.

5 stars for The Breaking.
Ewelina
Jan 19, 2013
Dana
Apr 10, 2012
Steve Plunkett
rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2011
Kieran
Dec 27, 2011
Lyra
Nov 10, 2012
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes historical speculative fiction with diverse characters: historical fantasy, alternate history, and retrofuture science fiction. Friendship, romantic friendship, and romance often occur in the stories. Visit duskpeterson.com for e-books and free fiction.

A resident of Maryland, Mx. Peterson lives with an apprentice and several thousand books.

Eternal Dungeon (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Rebirth (The Eternal Dungeon, Volume 1)
  • Transformation (The Eternal Dungeon, Volume 2)
  • The Balance (The Eternal Dungeon, Volume 3)
  • On Guard (The Eternal Dungeon #4)
  • Sweet Blood (The Eternal Dungeon, Volume 5)
  • The Unanswered Question (The Eternal Dungeon)
  • Torture (The Eternal Dungeon)
  • Wax / Broken (The Eternal Dungeon)
  • Hunger (The Eternal Dungeon)
  • Never (The Eternal Dungeon)