Start by marking “Ferris Beach” as Want to Read:
Ferris Beach

Ferris Beach

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  922 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Ferris Beach is a place where excitement and magic coexist. Or so Mary Katherine "Katie" Burns, the only child of middle-aged Fred and Cleva Burns, believes. Shy and self-conscious, she daydreams about Ferris Beach, where her beautiful cousin, Angela, leads a romantic, mysterious life.

It is the early 1970s, and when the land across the road from the Burns's historic house
Published September 22nd 2009 by Algonquin Books (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Ferris Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ferris Beach

Kari
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
Jill McCorkle has this uncanny ability to delve deep into the mindset of each and every one of her characters. For this reason, her writing is some of the most relatable and realistic I've encountered. She also writes about the South. And for these reasons...I looooooove her!

My latest of McCorkle reads is Ferris Beach, the story of Mary Katherine "Kitty" Burns growing up in 1970s North Carolina. Kate is the only child of two middle-aged parents, Cleva and Frank, that she finds mismatched, liking
Robin
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 70's coming of age story. Great companion for snowy weather!
Calista Manns
Ferris Beach is a well written book by Jill McCorkle for this generation. When I started the book I did not really know what I was getting into. The book started out very slow but surprisingly, it taught some truths about the world with quirky moments. It seemed dragged out at times and felt just like your average book. But, It is a gentle book and Jill McCorkle does an excellent job of showing the characters mindsets and goes deep into descriptions. All of the characters are unique and can be f ...more
Yak
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fort some reason this took a hell of a long time to read; either it was longer than it looked in paperback, or it wasn't holding my interest. And in truth it did seem longer than it *needed* to be, while still interesting. Summary: a girl in North Carolina makes best friends with new neighbor, tragedy strikes, love happens, mysterious relative drifts in and out, she comes of age. Characterizations were pretty good, especially the father; not so sure about the plotting.
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason this coming-of-age story draws me in almost 20 years after I first read it. There is a certain sense of isolation in Kate's story, and maybe it's those feelings of disconnect that many of us felt as teens that I see mirrored in her story.
Vade
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Burns has heard of Ferris Beach all her life, but it seems like an unreachable dream. She is trapped with her demanding mother and individualist dad, then Misty moves to her town. Kate wants her family to be fun, daring and outrageous like Misty’s family. The two girls end up growing up together and one-fourth of July Kate learns about life's little surprises. Also, you realize life is sometimes the harder part and it gets easier to cope with
Some of the conflicts that the characters have ar
Cara
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
strong female characters, especially Kate or Kitty and her best friend Misty, as they mature and enter high school. Southern culture and class struggles present points of growth for the young girls who struggle with tragic losses and overcome self-consciousness. good book for young adults.
Alyssa
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the characters, and I didn't find the story terribly predictable. In fact, I didn't see the last part coming at all. Not the best thing I've read from Jill McCorkle, but not bad.
Chris
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Slow...confusing...pointless...boring.
Life is too short to read bad books!
  • Cakewalk
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • Rhoda: A Life in Stories
  • The Beet Fields: Memories of a Sixteenth Summer
  • Souls Raised from the Dead
  • Old Wounds (An Elizabeth Goodweather Appalachian Mystery #3)
  • These People Are Us
  • If You Want Me to Stay
  • New Stories from the South 2008
  • Downhome: An Anthology of Southern Women Writers
  • A Ticket to Ride: A Novel
  • Uncivil Seasons (Justin & Cuddy #1)
  • Killer Diller
Five of Jill McCorkle's seven previous books have been named New York Times Notables. Winner of the New England Booksellers Award, the Dos Passos Prize for Excellence in Literature, and the North Carolina Award for Literature, she has taught writing at the University of North Carolina, Bennington College, Tufts University, and Harvard. She lives near Boston with her husband, their two children, se ...more
More about Jill McCorkle...