Start by marking “The Zeppelin's Passenger” as Want to Read:
The Zeppelin's Passenger

Read Book

The Zeppelin's Passenger

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Edward Phillips Oppenheim (1866-1946), was an English novelist, in his lifetime a successful writer of genre fiction including thrillers. He composed some 150 novels, mostly of international intrigue. This one deals with a German spy in England who romances a titled lady and has a happy ending.
Published 1918 by A.L.Burt Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Zeppelin's Passenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zeppelin's Passenger

Debbie Zapata
This is not the first book I've read by this author: my 'Read' list shows three or four others that I rated highly in my early days here on GR. But I did not write reviews for them and I guess they were not as awesome as I seemed to think at the time because I can't remember a thing about any of them other than the fact of filing away his name as a writer of entertaining stories.

Lots and lots of stories. He wrote over 100 novels, according to wiki, and there are 60 at Gutenberg. Luckily for me a
Hannah
When a Zeppelin crashes in a small English town, at first no one realizes it was carrying a passenger. He immediately puts in place a plan to blackmail two of the best ladies in town by bargaining secrecy for the life of their brother/fiancé, driving a hard bargain and showing no mercy. For awhile it seems that he could not possibly do any damage, but can that be true? What really has drawn him to town?

I liked how each character was deeply layered. A spy who wants to succeed, yet admits to sever
Renee M
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Highly enjoyable melodrama about espionage and romance during WWI. Plenty of propaganda and obvious plotting, but fun just the same. Cue the dramatic music, put a wrist to your forehead, and enjoy!
Karin
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all: I finished my A to Z challenge! WOOHOO! :-))
Second: This was a very entertaining book. Loved it!
Marts  (Thinker)
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A World War I tale of German espionage in a fictional english village called Dreymarsh. Some residents there discover a zepplin observation car and this discovery triggers a range of events and introduces a myriad of characters which all make for a rather delightful mystery...
Sylvester
Sep 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Aaarghh! I'm on a bad streak. Ludicrous plot. Brainless heroine. Oppenheim at his worst. Don't bother with this one.
Jonathon Dabell
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An early espionage novel with a strong hint of romance, The Zeppelin's Passenger was a book I bought on a whim knowing very little about it and, therefore, having little idea what to expect. E. Phillips Oppenheim pulls together a very effective story in which a foreign agent arrives in a quiet coastal haven in Britain during WW1. Soon, one of the local women has fallen head-over-heels in love with him, even though she is already married. She considers her real husband a time-waster and a coward, ...more
Underlings
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very pleasant entertainment, like his other books. Oppenheim was popular between the wars but is by now largely forgotten. A pity. Especially considering he produced over 100 novels and 37 volumes of short stories.
Ray Latiolais
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Disappointed because the evil German zeppelin never actually appeared in the book, however, the rather inattentive lady the eponymous passenger “makes love to” has massive red-gold hair, an Oppenheim trademark.

“People who travel in Zeppelins don’t wear things like that.”
Tammy Burger
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the story of a woman who desires to be loved. The war and it's trials affect how her husband is able to love her. It's an interesting look at life during the war, our flights of fancy, and enduring loyalty. I listened to the book on Audible/Libravox.
Ken
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This WWI-set story is quick, compactly told, and features a few twists to keep the reader guessing to the end.

The ebook formatting is pretty good, with a few typos resulting from the OCR, but nothing too distracting.
Samantha Glasser
Jul 04, 2012 marked it as to-read
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1931/1...
Bettie☯
Sep 16, 2011 marked it as maybe
1 star from Esther
Jack
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First world war spy story in which allegiances of various kinds are tested.
Ailish
Carolyn
Jul 26, 2012
Brittany Presley
May 27, 2016
Public Domain Rea...: The Zeppelin's Passenger - Feb 2018 discussion 5 3 Feb 23, 2018 09:47AM
Edward Phillips Oppenheim was an English novelist, primarily known for his suspense fiction.

He was born on 22 October 1866 in Leicester, the son of a leather merchant, and after attending Wyggeston Grammar School he worked in his father's business for almost 20 years, beginning there at a young age. He continued working in the business, even though he was a successful novelist, until he was 40 at
More about E. Phillips Oppenheim