Start by marking “Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment” as Want to Read:
Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment

Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Shows how to develop a personal meditation style through twenty-three step-by-step exercises that can lead to enhanced creativity and a secure sense of place.
Published February 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books (CA) (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Learn to Meditate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn to Meditate

Scott Dinsmore
Jul 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Why I Read this Book: With how busy and often stressful our lives are, I was in search of a remedy. Meditation turn out to be a great starting point.

Topics Covered:

* How to meditate
* Stress and anxiety reduction
* Calmness of mind
* Better sleep
* The power of a directed mind and heart
* The mind’s effect on the body

A cure for stress, I think I’ll take one of those please. It seems like stress is the buzzword of the decade. It’s no surprise with the millions of things we each have going
Candice Beever
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
One of my goals for 2011 is to begin meditating. This book was a good starting point as it gave a general overview and some basic exercises, but by no means was it a complete guide. Even Fontana said that he couldn't cover everything in one book, there's just too much information out there on this subject.

The first section of the book covered the basics of meditation and some common obstacles. That was certainly the most helpful and interesting part of the book. The second part has a lot of 2 to
Roman Majerský
Veľmi zaujímavé kapitoly a cvičenia ku koncu knihy vystriedali tvrdenia, na ktoré som až príliš veľký skeptik. (slovenský preklad je PEKLO)
Peter Sprengelmeyer
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The content of this book jumps around quite a bit. By taking a thematic approach, David Fontana cuts rapidly across diverse traditions and approaches. As an overview, the content is reasonable and it offers a nice survey. The exercises were pretty variable - and likely for the same reason. I tried to follow them, but it is not really a course of study. Rather they follow the same incorporative approach as the rest of the book. So, for me some were helpful and others fell a little flat. I would s ...more
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This gave me a good background on the teachings of meditation around the world. It put a little bit of context into how meditation works and the different experiences you may encounter along the way. The only thing i found kind of exhausting was the exercises list every 2 or 3 pages , but i guess it os about starting with exercises that can help anyone break in through the gateless gate of meditation.
Mj Gilmer
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great introduction and higher level overview with meditations in each chapter. I would recommend this as a jumping-in book as it defines terms, traditions, and possibilities while describing the essentials to get started. This is an easy read with playful illustrations and one I will keep
Kim Caudill
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the broad overview. After being introduced to TM many years ago I've held an aversion to many of the schools of meditation.

Practical and simple tips and info.

Practical tool/augmentation as part of workplace health promotion.
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
hmm, not sure what to write, definetely good starting point for someone who never meditated... good overview on different styles and ways, great selection of excercises to try out but still not my cup of tea :(

can't help but this book didn't have impact on me... find it bit boring.
Nathanael Coyne
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: favourite
An excellent introduction to meditation. Starts off with the basics and goes into increasingly advanced topics and techniques. Touches lightly on Buddhism and other religions but for the most part keeps meditation separate.
Nov 03, 2010 marked it as to-read
So far, which isn't very far because I am actually doing the exercises and learning to meditate, it is surprisingly amazing! One 15 min. exercise makes me feel so refreshed and connected while at the same time disconnected from myself. It is wonderful and clarifying.
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, buddhism
A brief and general book about mediation. I skipped around a little bit, and didn't learn that much. One take way term: "consensus trance."
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Easy to follow exercises, simple language. Only for beginners.
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Well written informative and most helpful
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent so far.
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book for beginners or folks to want to deepen their practice. Easy to read and filled with meditative exercises, as well as background on various meditative traditions.
Amena Khan
Feb 02, 2009
Susan Ainsworth
Jan 24, 2018
May 12, 2014
rated it did not like it
Sep 19, 2017
  • Learn to Relax : A Practical Guide to Easing Tension and Conquering Stress
  • The Illuminated Prayer: The Five-Times Prayer of the Sufis
  • Power of an Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour a Week
  • Naked Spirituality A Life With God in Twelve Simple Words
  • Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • The Cosmic Doctrine
  • Creating Affluence: The A-to-Z Steps to a Richer Life
  • The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time
  • The Healing Power of Mind: Simple Meditation Exercises for Health, Well-Being, and Enlightenment (Buddhayana Series, VII)
  • Week in a Day
  • Meditation Secrets for Women: Discovering Your Passion, Pleasure, and Inner Peace
  • Pilates Body in Motion

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99