Start by marking “I Can Get It For You Wholesale” as Want to Read:
I Can Get It For You Wholesale

I Can Get It For You Wholesale

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Hardcover
Published 1959 by Modern Library (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about I Can Get It For You Wholesale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Get It For You Wholesale

Pop Bop
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Unjustly Neglected

Format:Kindle Edition

Well maybe not "neglected". People who have read pre-war Depression-era American fiction know this book. Heck, Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald knew this book. People who treasure "New York business noir" movies and plays, and the books they're based on, from "Sweet Smell of Success" to "Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" to Rod Serling's "Patterns", to John O'Hara's "From the Terrace", know the dramatized version of this book.

So, maybe the caption of this book
4cats
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1937, I Can Get It for You Wholesale remains as fresh today as when it was first published. Set in New York's garment district, it chronicles the rise of Harry Bogen, who will stop at nothing to make as much money as he possibly can often crookedly, and in doing so betraying those closest to him.

Although Harry is not the most likeable of characters, we are drawn to him through the fast paced, witty, first person narrative. The novel is as relevant today as it was in the 30's, dealing
Kyle
Set in New York's garment district. The main character, Harry Bogen, is a total schmuck. The sexism and sexual harassment in this book are amazing. He'd fire any secretary that wouldn't put out in a heartbeat. He makes quite a lot of money running crooked businesses and spends it all on shiksas. His good Jewish mother wants him to marry a nice Jewish girl, Ruthie Rivkin, but Harry seems to be determined to rid himself of all signs of his Jewishness. To the point where he even calls his business ...more
Pamela
Mar 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this. I went into it thinking it was going to be an expose of the garment industry similar to what Upton Sinclair's The Jungle was to the meat industry. It wasn't. It was page after page after page of smart-alec remarks spewing from the mouth of a psychopathic, misogynistic, money-grubbing huckster.

I realize it is a story of its time. There are many good stories of this time. This is not one of them. This is a story with a main character I don't care to spend time wit
Marian
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, well.

Well, apart from the fact that the protagonist was a wee bit of a sociopathic conman, and the archaic slang was wearing, hey, not a bad book. I can see how this style of writing was a departure from the style of the time and led to the modern novel, and that was interesting. I'm not interested in reading more about Harry.
Catharine
An oldie but a goodie - a rags-to-riches story set in the NY rag trade in the 40s. Brilliant insight into the corrupting nature of greed. It had overtones of that excellent noir movie "The Sweet Smell of Success" (Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis).
Minna Elias