Start by marking “Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)

Stormwalker

(Stormwalker #1)

Book One of the award-winning Stormwalker series.

Half-Navajo Janet Begay possesses extraordinary power that is tied to the storms that waft across the desert.

The only person who can control her when she's caught in the storm's evocative power is Mick, a dark-haired, blue-eyed biker Janet can't seem to touch with her powers. He can wield fire and not get burned, and Janet's
Published May 4th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Stormwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormwalker

Kat Kennedy
I really enjoyed this novel with the sole exception of one character - Nash Jones actually goes out of his way to terrorize the protagonist of this story, Janet Begay.

Their first meeting is after an accident in which a truck was knocked off the road and Janet's motorcycle crashes. Nash shows up and immediately arrests Janet for reckless driving that killed the man in the car even though she totally didn't. His theory is that her motorcyle crashed into his truck causing it to flip over because ap
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Ugh.

I nearly DNF-ed this at 10%.

After being attacked on the road by a demon, Janet Begay is arrested for involuntary manslaughter/assault with a deadly weapon when an innocent bystander is killed in the attack.

Except not really.

She's never Mirandized. She's never actually told she's being arrested. She's just cuffed and thrown into the back of the local jackhole sheriff's SUV and told she's being taken in for questioning. When they get to the station, Jackhole tosses her in a cell, says he'll t
new_user
Yeehaw! Marty, I've found another series to follow!

I enjoyed Stormwalker- what more need be said?

I can say that Mick is hot. Mick's got skeelz. While some may argue that their most passionate moments are past tense, I love that Janet and Mick have history. They have more to stand on than hormones, and I like the sensation of dropping into a rich, fully-developed story over starting from scratch (i.e. uninitiated narrators) where the information and experiences one can absorb from page one to bo
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Ok, ok, we've read it all before! You want your heroine to be able to control the weather? Try Ill Wind and the rest of the Weather Warden series. The worldbuilding is so much better there. Want a mysterious boyfriend of unknown species? Try the Fever series. At least there you won’t be able to guess what Barrons is after about a hundred pages. Want a murderous parent with way too much power? You’ll have more fun reading Magic Bites and the rest of the series, Vicki Pettersson’s Zodiac series or ...more
Ian
I've been plodding my way through this book for about a month. It never really captured me but it didn't annoy me enough to walk away either.

There are skinwalkers, the coyote (of Native American traditions), gods, demons and obviously the eponymous Stormwalker. So yeah, it's tapping into that same rich vein as Mercy Thompson and Jane Yellowrock but it doesn't quite work.

As T.S. Elliot wrote,

"This is the way the world ends,
not with a bang but a whimper."

And that really sums up this book. It's
Alaina
First: Prepare for like the shortest review I've ever written because I need to shower and head to work. I'll probably add more to this review later.. but I also might not because I'm lazy. Enjoy!

Second: Thank you Jessi for the great recommendations you have given me! I've really enjoyed them all so far!

Stormwalker was a really enjoyable book and a great start to this series. It is about Janet Begay who has a really cool power. However, she also has someone that can control her when she's caught
Catherine
I was pretty underwhelmed by this book. The description made it sound interesting, but the characters were kind of a let down for me.

Janet Begay is a Stormwalker. She can ride a storm and draw power from it, but usually she ends up with the short end of the stick. She's helpless to resist the power of the storm and usually ends up sick and exhausted after it passes. She doesn't like that aspect much, but she's learning to deal.

Janet heads to Magellan with the excuse of helping the police chief s
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
DNF at 40%.

So this is a book about a bunch of horny people who are trying to save the world from the usual clique of evil demons and freaks of the underworld. And when I say horny I mean HORNY. Janet the stormwalker is horny, Mick her big bad biker/dragon boyfriend (my boyfriend is a dragon! I've know him for 5 or 6 years but I never saw it coming! He has fire magic, dragon tattoos all over his body and there is that huge, strange, dark shadow about him sometimes but I would never have guessed!
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
The characters:

Janet, Mick, Coyote, and the cop Nash Jones

The story:

Janet Begay, a half Navajo Stormwalker, can call the power of any storm and manipulate it to her liking. The Navajo and Stormwalker side of her is from her father. Her mother, an evil Goddess in a place called the Beneath, wants Janet to join with her so they can rule the Beneath AND with their combined powers, take over the world.

Janet not only has the physical struggles against the evil that has been unleashed by her mother
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
This isn't the first Stormwalker story I read. There've been two shorter ones in two anthologies (Double Hexed in Hexed, A Little Night Magic in Hot for the Holidays). I think I prefer that form to this. So many things didn't work as well as those stories.

What I'd rate five stars is the premise itself. It so good that it can take this series a long way up without even trying.
Janet Begay is a stormwalker, she can draw power from it and the earth. The things she discovers about her legacy are rig
Vered
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf, ab-to-c
An unexpected treat. Very good story, great h/h (strong yet not bitchy annoying heroine) and fun secondary characters ( I love you Nash!! ). But there was something more, something about the writing itself - sexy writing. Not just the sex scenes (oh and those lovely dreams), but there was something about the writing that just makes you feel mmmm mmmmm mmm.. And that's the best I can do at this hour, and after a long long day.

It's defenitly a go read book.
Laura the Highland Hussy
Okay, wow. This book is fantastic! I'm not a huge fan of Urban Fiction, not by a long shot. I love Briggs' Mercy Thompson and I love Moning's Mac Lane. But most others, not so much. But this book? Fantastic. Jennifer Ashley/Allyson James is a great writer, she has written several of my favorite paranormal romances ever, and some studly Highlanders while she's at it. And I will be waiting on bated breath until Nov. 2nd when Firewalker is released.

Janet Begay is a Stormwalker. She can harness the
Umaiya ❄️Ramblings of a Scattered Mind❄️

DNF@27%

I can't do it. I just can't. It's so hard to get into the story and though I just paused for 5 minutes, I just didn't wanna pick it up again. There's better stuff to read than waste my time on this, so I'm gonna move on.
Torzilla
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, arc
Wow. Just wow. I had originally thought that the Native American female lead was soon becoming overused. I thought: okay, the concept of the story sounds interesting, but this Janet character probably wont stand a chance against Mercy Thompson or Jane Yellowrock. How very wrong I was.

If anything, I must concede now that Janet holds this certain type of allure that neither Jane nor Mercy have. I've always been attracted to the types of characters who have some elemental powers, and Janet Begay's
Rhonda
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!! 3.5 STARS
This book was a lot of fun, I liked Janet our heroine. Smart, and strong yet a little vulnerable too. Janet is a Stormwalker able to harness and use the power of storms. Her mysterious boyfriend Mick is a badass Firewalker and he's very much in love with Janet, willing to sacrifice his own life for hers. Maya a tough girl electrician who is working for Janet, they have a very strained relationship. I loved the bantering between Maya and Janet. I really liked the Nat
Shera (Book Whispers)
Thougths:
I've been putting off this review for a while now, because I had mixed feelings about how to rate it and what I actually thought of it. Like all things time is all you need. After reading it I though this book rocked, then after a bit I thought it was kind of average.

Native American themes and ideas have always interested me. Not too many PNR have included Native American themes and ideas, so I was an eager reader for Stormwalker.

The whole mythology was great. The idea of the element po
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Tori

Favorite quote: "I swing both ways honey. I'm an equal opportunity mirror."

Janet Begay is a Stormwalker. She is able to harness and manipulate the power in storms. It is a raw elemental power that often overwhelms her. Mick, her black hair blue eyed lover, is the only one who can ignite her passions while calming the storm within her.

Janet has come to the desert town of Magellan at the request of the police chief to look into the mysterious disappearance of his daughter Amy. Loc
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

There is a lot to like about Allyson James first book in her new Stormwalker series. The stunning cover art by Tony Mauro is just the beginning. The world building involves a Native American twist on the four elements: Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, and a mythological history of earth. The main character, Janet Begay, is a Stormwalker. When a storm rages, Janet becomes essentially an X-man (minus the creepy white eyes and comic book spandex).

I did
Carolyn F.
Pleasantly surprised by this book. This is an alias for Jennifer Ashley and I wasn't sure if she would be able to write this type of character. I love her historical romance books and her shifter series but I thought it would be like a copycat of Jane Yellowrock or Mercedes Thompson. I was wrong. I loved all the characters and the romance was a nice change of pace.

Janet is a stormwalker with a not so nice hereditary gift from her mom, a goddess from "Beneath". She moves to where it all began whe
Jenni Lea

Wow, this was great! No time to review; off to read the next one!
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
4.72

Once upon a time I read the first two books in Rachel Caine's "Weather Warden" series. I subsequently forgot what those two books were about and thus stopped reading any more of the series. I will go back to it but that's neither here nor there.

If the WW series had been as engrossing and engaging as Janet's story then perhaps I would have stuck with it. I say this because this book shares some similarities with the WW series and I simply want to get that out of the way.

I was surprised about
Karissa
Dec 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Stormwalker series. The fifth book in that series will be titled, Dreamwalker, and is expected to release in June 2015. This was an action packed paranormal romance with a story that was incredibly flawed.

I listened to this on audiobook and it was okay. It was nothing spectacular but the narrator did a decent job distinguishing between character voices.

Janet Begay is a Stormwalker whose mother is a Goddess from Beneath. Janet moves back to her hometown to face her m
Linda
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic paranormal romance/urban fantasy novel to escape in to! Each time I picked it up and started reading I became so absorbed I almost shut out all distractions around me. The pages flew by! The heroine is kickass bad with an even badder boyfriend! As the story progresses and different characters magical powers are revealed, the story ramps up in excitement and anticipation for the stormy climax the reader knows is coming! I highly recommend for paranormal fans.
Cindy
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Stormwalker (Stormwalker 01) by Allyson James

Great read-action paranormal. It's a Coyote story, so of course I loved it! But beyond that, it's beautifully written. The plot is page turning and the setting is warmly evocative of the Southwest areas near the Navajo Reservation. The characters are rich and sometimes quirky. You've got to love the magic mirror with lust on its mind, Sheriff Nash who is so rigidly determined to remain an unbeliever, and of course there's Coyote...

The heroine has issu
Ana
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

The book was pretty great. For anyone expecting a paranormal romance it would be a miss, but for an UF it's terrific.

Janet, our heroine, is a Stormwalker (she can control the storms), whose mother happens to be a Beneath (think hell) goddess. She comes to Magellan mainly to confront her. Also, she is looking for Amy, a woman that went missing a year ago, and at the same time decides to renovate a broken-down hotel. A busy girl Janet. Like that isn't enough her mysterious ex-boyfriend Mick sh
Alex
Amyiw
4 1/2 stars
I didn't know how Jennifer Ashley would do with a UF so I kinda avoided this book for a while. I shouldn't have. She definitely does her own UF, which like Nighthuntress, has the main couple coming together in the first book, no triangles or questions about who she is going to pick. The romance is good not great even though the romantic interest, Mick, is hotness personified. I think the tameness comes from a lack the initial meeting, though we get it in a flash back. That love at fir
Cathy
4.5 stars. I got intrigued by this series when I read a story from later on in the series in Hexed, the story was really well done, it introduced terrific characters and the writing was great. It was one of the best stories/novellas that I've read and really proved the whole marketing concept behind the anthology idea because I immediately marked the rest of the series as top priority reads.

And I'm glad I did because I really liked this book, it has everything I enjoy in a story. The main chara
Alisha
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5
Not a bad series start! This is a very western-America-centric book, starring a Navajo stormwalker (you guessed it; she can control storms) named Janet Begay. Janet's proud of her Dine heritage and as such the book is flavored with Native American....uh...flavor. ^_^ Her big challenge in life is dealing with her evil-goddess mother's unwanted attentions; apparently, Janet's inherited some of her mother's considerable powers, and mommy dearest wants to use her to open up a sealed porta

• Red Hot Fury (Shades of Fury, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
  • Afterlight (Dark Ink Chronicles, #1)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Viper Moon (Earth Witches, #1)
  • Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Blue Diablo (Corine Solomon, #1)
  • Mind Games (The Disillusionists, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Highborn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
Allyson James writes paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and erotic romance (paranormal and futuristic). She is a nationally bestselling author, a multiple RITA nominee, an RT Award winner, and a Prism winner. She also writes romance (paranormal and historical) as Jennifer Ashley. See Allyson's website for current and upcoming books. See also Allyson's GoodReads bookshelves for all books under all ...more

Stormwalker (6 books)
  • Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2)
  • Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3)
  • Nightwalker (Stormwalker, #4)
  • Dreamwalker (Stormwalker, #5)
  • Dragon Bites (Stormwalker, #6)
“Why are you still so damned protective of me?:
“You have to ask?”
“I do.”
Mick came closer still, until his face hung an inch from mine. “If you have to ask, then you wouldn’t believe my answer.” He drew away and continued wiping my hands.”
16 likes