Start by marking “Winter Moon” as Want to Read:
Winter Moon

Winter Moon

In Los Angeles, a hot Hollywood director, high on PCP, turns a city street into a fiery apocalypse. Heroic LAPD officer Jac McGarvey is badly wounded and will not walk for months. His wife and his child are left to fend for themselves against both criminals that control an increasingly violent city and the dead director's cult of fanatic fans.

In a lonely corner of Montana,
Published December 29th 1993 by Ballantine Books (first published December 8th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Moon

Obsidian
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please note that I gave this book 4.5 stars, but rounded it up to 5 stars on Goodreads.

Well this is old school Koontz and I like it. We did have a golden retriever, but you can't win them all.

"Winter Moon" follows two parallel stories. One of Heather and Jack McGarvey and their young son Toby. And the other follows Eduardo Fernandez. These people have never met, but due to the actions of one, both are going to come face to face with something that is intent on destruction.

Jack is a LAPD patrol o
Sue Gerhardt Griffiths
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The first time I read a Dean Koontz novel was under his pseudonym, Leigh Nichols, it was many years ago but I remember that it was an excellent spine-tingling, suspenseful book and Winter Moon was no different. Dean Koontz knows how to instil fear in the reader, from the first page of Winter Moon the terror escalates little by little until the last few pages and then BOOM the tension builds faster and faster. I was on tenterhooks from beginning to end. Loved this book. I finished it a few hours ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't say that this is one of Dean Koontz' best works, but it was certainly gripping and entertaining, and really an unforgettable novel.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
One of Dean Koontz's most overlooked books. If you like Strangers, Cold Fire and the Taking, you will most likely enjoy Winter Moon - set mainly in Big Sky Country Montana :-)
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
I enjoyed this book,review to come.
Maciek
There's not much going on in Winter Moon. It's pretty slow paced and not particularly well written. The book is divided into two parts - The first is pretty much Koontz's condemnation of modern American society and you'll get to learn what he thinks of universities, graffiti artists, gun control laws, the film industry, heavy metal music and a bunch of other subjects (surprise - he hates them all). It's pretty much sensless babble which doesn't add much to the plot, except for irritation. The ch ...more
Mayve
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Carol
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Dean Koontz's books because you just never know what his rich imagination is going to come up with...but whatever it is it's always a huge surprise. This is one of the scariest books that he's written in all of the years I have had the pleasure of reading his works. Usually there is a suspenseful story with some horror moments thrown in....this one has a dark undertone with both gory and psychological horror from the start to finish.

The book is actually two stories in parallel... Jack Mc
Blake
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim C
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an early work from Dean Koontz. In this one we have two separate stories that eventually becomes one. One story is about a police officer and his family who reside in Los Angeles. It isn't the safest place to live as crime seems to be everywhere. The second story is about Eduardo who lives in a cabin in Montana. He sees a strange light in the forest and realizes something alien is lurking out there.

This book was a little slow in the beginning as the author took some time to set up the st
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a pretty good book (despite what some others think :) Hi Maciek...we can't agree on everything LOl). I don't know if I'd call it one of the author's best he has a pretty wide swing in that area. Some I don't care for much at all, others I like very much, so... I give this one 3 stars as, my hands are a bit tied. With such a wide swing in the way I feel about the books if I give one I like a lot a "4" because it's not quite a "5" what do i do with the ones I don't quite like that much? Th ...more
Kevinreadstoomuch
Underrated! Highly recommended for horror/Koontz fans!
This is Koontz scariest boook that i've come across in the twenty or so i've read by him. Usually, Koontz writes a mostly suspensful story with some horror moments here and there. This book is the prime example of writing with a dark undertone throughout the story, giving you the feeling that something bad is going to happen.
My real rating for this book is four and a half stars, only because the first half of the book, the first story line is
Julie Powell
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Dean Koontz's stories. I love the writing, the style, the characters, the dialogue and of course the plot. This was no exception with both gory and psychological horror, but not for the sake of it. I don't like gore but this author's stories demand it in places and it's done extremely well.

Not as many typos/spelling mistakes/grammatical errors as the recently read Whispers, but I was still amazed at the amount considering those expensive and smug eyes that continually put down ind
Brenda
May 15, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bought from WPL for $0.25
Barb
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok, that had to be one of the more creepier books by Dean Koontz. i still loved it! I finished it appropriately in 2 days, i just couldn't stop. I loved the grater driver at the end, his excitement, so perfect for a Dean Koontz book!
D.L.
Koontz is always good for a distraction.
Mary
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror, suspense
This Koontz book has suspense, horror and some sci=fi. It is written in three parts --connected, of course, but rather loosely. My favorites were the first and second parts. The first was great Koontz, choosing every word precisely to create a scene of action and the horror that man can do to man (this time with the help of recreational drugs). The scene folds out fast yet in slow motion with guns, fires explosions building and leaving innocents dead along with a police officer. The other police ...more
Manu
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
I was quite surprised that the book was published in 1994. I expected a much earlier date, judging by the work. Its not really bad, but it doesn't have that gripping quality of Koontz' later works, of which I'm a big fan. That's when I got to know that this was first published as 'Invasion' in 1975 under the pseudonym Aaron Wolfe.

The book initially follows two stories in parallel - Jack McGarvey, a cop, and his family in Los Angeles, and Eduardo Fernandez, Jack's deceased partner's father, who
Jessica
Definitely spooky and suspenseful, especially at the beginning. But, I got a little tired of the alien-themed Koontz novels. I don't know if it was just a fascination that he had at that point in his life, but it seemed he had more than his fair share for a while.

Also, was I the only one who felt the ending was a little disjointed? I mean, you've got the freaky, scary, "What the hell was that?" feel going on in the beginning, which totally had me jumping at every noise the house made, but the en
B.
Mar 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I think it's safe to say that I give up on Dean Koontz. I've read so many of his books, and too many of them are "meh" for me. I do enjoy the Odd Thomas series, so I'll continue with that one, but I won't be wasting any more time trying to give him 'just one more chance.'

Stephen King, FTW.
Tif
Dec 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bethany
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to Dean Koontz. An amazingly good read. Koontz's best writing attribute is his character development, and this great book is no exception. I've found very few Koontz titles I haven't liked.
Helene
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one.. creepy and quite slow paced until the last third of the book when the tension really builds quickly a must read for the creepy raccoons
J.S. Bailey
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word:

O_O

Okay, I know that's not a word.

But, still:

O_O
Don't remember it in enough detail to review fairly. Just wanted to note so I don't pick it up again by accident :)
Nina
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
It was ok. It lacks originality. Suspense is eh. No interesting plot or twists and nothing we haven’t seen before in sci-fi.
Alicia
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dean Koontz is my favorite author - that being said the reason I gave it only 3 stars is because the ending seems so abrupt and almost unfinished. He usually gives a better more clear ending. But I did like the whole concept and "bad guy" aspect, I feel it could have been explored a bit more but I think it was done well. I would still suggest reading it but be ready for a rather quick ending.
Jen

I can't say that I fully "really liked" this book, but the last third of it did go a long way toward redeeming the first two-thirds. The first 15 chapters moved too slowly for me, with too many descriptive passages and not enough action. The story didn't pick up until Chapter 16 (page 304 of 472 in the edition I read). Once I started this chapter, however, I couldn't put the book down, pausing only to fix dinner. Apart from that small break, I read the last 168 pages in one sitting.

I
wally
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz
winter moon is inspired by the short novel invasion, published under the pen name aaron wolfe and c/w/the circle around it---copyrighted, i guess, 1974 by dean r koontz.

from the dean koontz companion,1994this novel began as a revision of invasion...however, it is so different from the book that inspired it, a separate listing is not only justified but required

goes on to say this one should be in the top 1/3 of his body of work. also makes that pt. that "it should be interesting to see whether so
Sara Jo Schmidt
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Dean Koontz book, recommended to me by a colleague. I have read many thrillers before, however, this one was actually SCARY. And I loved just about every minute.

The book was well organized and overall well written. What seemed to be two completely different stories about 2 completely different people ended up being tied together in mystery and terror. What a fun ride it was! I literally couldn't put it down.

2 things that caused me to give it 4 stars instead of 5:

1) I really
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Koontzland - Dean...: Winter Moon (Group Read - March 2018) 12 22 Apr 01, 2018 10:27AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Thriller, horror. Detective moves from LA to Montana with family. [s] 4 105 Oct 04, 2017 01:13PM
Rereading Koontz 6 31 Aug 02, 2013 12:55PM
Koontzland - Dean...: Winter Moon (Group Read - April 2013) 108 118 May 12, 2013 08:16PM
Eduardo and nothing else. 4 22 Jul 09, 2012 05:07PM

• The Eyes of Darkness
  • Dark of the Woods/Soft Comes the Dragons
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Dragonfly
  • Demon Child
  • Invasion
  • Black Lightning
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • The Golden Gizmo
  • Internecine
  • Try Fear
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • No Sanctuary

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
“People who go to work every day, make sacrifices to raise families, and get through life without hurting other people if they can help it-those are the real heros.” 53 likes
“Maybe when all was said and done, the imagination was the most powerful of all weapons. It was the imagination of the human race that had allowed it to dream of a life beyond cold caves and of a possible future in the stars.” 47 likes