Start by marking “Jesper (Lisa's War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jesper (Lisa's War, #2)

Jesper

(Lisa's War #2)

In a sequel to Lisa's War, Jesper, a Jewish boy who has grown up quickly in Nazi-occupied Denmark and is code-named Kris, joins the Danish resistance and goes underground to protect his family.
Published November 26th 1989 by Key Porter Books

To ask other readers questions about Jesper, please sign up.
Niyati Murdeshwar
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Jesper (Lisa's War, #2)
Leila Rashid
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book Jesper is full detailed excitement. It tells an amazing story of what life was like for Jesper, a 16 year old boy in Copenhagen, Denmark, and what he had to go through during world war two.
Jesper did not agree with what was happening to the world around him. So he decided to form a group called the resistance. At first it started with him and a couple of his close friends that felt the same as Jesper. Not even his family knew what he was doing. The aim of the group was to sabotage the
Ryka
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I hate reading books about war. But I'm making an exception for this one. It's action packed, yes. But it's not that sketchy. I'd say this one's better than Lisa.
Leila McGrath
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Danish teen resistance during WWII.
Jonathan
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite.
Heather
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick story about a terrible time. Unflinching, Matas doesn't shy away from the unlovlier aspects of our humanity. This story has happened many times, in many places, is happening on some scale somewhere right now. Maybe if we all read this story, really read it, no one would ever again have to live it.
farmgirlbookworm
Stark. A lot of ethical debate. Extremely powerful and well worth the read. Not for kids under 14, unless you're ok with torture and graphic violence.
Melissa8f1
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Jesper By: Carol Matas.
Jesper is book set in Copenhagen, Denmark during the Holocaust. Jesper and his friend Stefan want to help stop the Nazis so they join the Resistance. Stefan must escape Denmark or the Nazis will kill him, so Jesper must work in the Resistance without him. Along the way to where he is now jail, Jesper helps stop the Nazi revolution.

Best and Worst.
My favortite part of the book was when Jesper and Stefan escape from the jail, because it was a sign that the Nazis had been
Alex S
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carol Matas wrought Jesper witch was an extraordinary book.Its about a boy named Jesper who was in the resistance against the Nazi's.

i enjoyed this book because it was vary action packed. It was also vary touching and funny. I also enjoyed the story line behind it. But there was the fact that the author had told you that he was captured at the beginning. I found it sad and i found i knew he was gonna get caught sooner or later.

The plot in this book was amazing, I like how it was all a story. But
Jamie
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jamie by: grandma
I loved this book it was fantastic! Just by reading the first page of this book I knew I was going to love it. Carol did an excellent job on describing the scenery, feelings, and sights throughout this entire book. If I were to have judged a book by it's cover I probably wouldn't have even picked up this book but, my grandma forced me into reading it. She wanted to hear about WWII from another countries perspective and in this case it was the perspective of a Danish boy. This boys name was ...more
Emily Anne
May 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
The book Jesper by Carol Matas Was about World War 2, I think.... It wasn't very good, and so I pretty much gave up on it.

The best thing abut the book was...nothing. The book sucked, it was boring and old feeling. The worst part of the book was it all, it was boring, un-eventful and not in our time period, so it was hard to relate to it. It's also not my kind of book, therefore I obviously don't like it. The book I'm reading(willingly) is a lot better, about war and it's very modern, I should
Katie
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: term-3-reading
Even though this book was about war and the underground revolution against the Nazis, and I'm not one to be seeking these kinds of book out in the library, I really really liked this book. I think the reason that I liked this book so much was because even though it was about war, it wasn't all guns this and killing that, it was more a life story about a young boy who wants to stand up against the Nazis through an underground group and what happens to him throughout his life as an underground ...more
Miss Amanda
gr 7-10 152pgs

1943-1945, Denmark. 17 year old Jesper continues to fight in the Resistance after his friends Stefan and Lisa escape to Sweden. The story begins with Jesper imprisoned by the Nazis with Jesper recalling his experiences with the Resistance since his friends left.

Because this story focuses on Jesper's work in the Resistance and people are killed in the attacks and counterattacks, I think this book is better for slightly older audience.
Ryan Newfell
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book over ten times, and it is still my favorite book of all time. This is the book that launched my interest in World War 2, especially about the Resistance.
Great character-driven novel, and made even better by the fact that a good portion of it syncs with events in Lisa's War (the 'prequel' to this novel), and goes into further detail about events you only scrape upon in Lisa's War. Worth the read for anyone of any age.
Ryan Newfell
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dominique
May 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Well Jesper was not the best book in the world actually i thought it really sucked. It confused me at times when it seemed as though they were skipping parts and going to fast. Either that or i seemed really out of it, but as well as it was not well detailed compared to other books that i've read.
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
It's good how he is telling the story about what happened before he was captured while he is in jail. I understand why he felt guilty about liking Lisa when he liked another girl. I think this book is good for people that like books about WWII.
Karen Hrdlicka
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this sequel to Lisa'a War. It has a lot more action than the first book and gives the reader a better idea of what went on during the war in Denmark.
I had to read this with some of my students, but I enjoyed the story very much.
Melinda
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome sequel to Lisa's war.
Olivia Riddell
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great children's novel about WWII. It is about a teenage boy that was a part of the Denmark resistance who helped his Jewish friends escape from the Germans.
Asia
May 04, 2008 rated it liked it
my teacher read this book to me and my class last year in grade 5
Brittany Atkin
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I also had to read this book for school and I thought it was a little confusing in some parts but over all it was a fairly good read.
Rye Cade
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was a terrirific book if you are interested in war and that sort of thing!!! Tottaly recommend it!
Tristen
May 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
ok
Rivkah
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A very sad grown up story about a hardened boy in ww2.
Lindsay

• La música del silenci
  • El sobrino del mago. Edición especial 5,95â?¬
  • Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time
  • La chica de Los Planetas
  • Groosham Grange (Groosham Grange, #1)
  • Battlecry Forever! (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh's Collection)
  • The Owl Keeper
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Renia's Diary: A Holocaust Journal
  • Golden Fleece: The Story of Franz Joseph and Elisabeth of Austria
  • A Down Home Christmas
  • The Hidden Kingdom (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #3)
  • A Time to Dance (Timeless Love, #1)
  • Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic (Modern Love Book 1)
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King
  • A Royal Christmas Wish: An Enchanting Christmas Romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • The Fires of Freedom (Freedoms Holy Light #4)

Lisa's War (2 books)
  • Lisa's War (Lisa's War, #1)